Why are there so many versions of the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
ya well we're gonna hafta measure ya! lol
Are you scared of the Word, Stranger? Listen to yourself. I come here saying you are the Body and the Kingdom is near you and God is the Word, and you are fine just like you are, and i get this?
I'm not scared at all of the Word of God. And my assurance comes from God's Word, not you. You telling me I'm fine means nothing. Do you get that?

Stranger

biotheist

Dec 28, 2016
Stranger said:
What spirit do you have?

Stranger
It is not easy to explain stranger, and it's not something that is commonly.

There are many thing's known and many thing's unknown. That which I know may frighten others, because it remains unknown to them.

I'll leave it at that.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
ha what are you gonna do when little mongolian yak riding guys that would gasp in horror at your model are getting in, and your virgins are looking for oil? bro? much rather you be pissed at me now

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Stranger
The Bible is the Word of God.
So when the devil spoke it was God, when Paul spoke it was God, when Mary spoke it was God, When a word comes out of His mouth than it is His word, when He gives someone "revelation" like teh book of rebvelation it can be considered Him speaking. When teh disciples say " this is I speaking not the Lord" it is them Not God speaking. How would you feel if someone complied a book about you and put other epeople ides about you in it and than told everyone it was you speaking, dont you think you may get a bit irritated for being blamed for things you never said....

If there is one God who never changes why do we have so many version of the one word??????

biotheist

Dec 28, 2016
Heb 13:8 said:
Why can't we just translate the Hebrew and Greek into English and have one translation.
Well for instance, Greek word's can have more than one english meaning. Greek words are more expensive than english words.

So it comes down to which is the right english word that expresses the root Greek word in question.

This is why all english translations differ.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
So when the devil spoke it was God, when Paul spoke it was God, when Mary spoke it was God, When a word comes out of His mouth than it is His word, when He gives someone "revelation" like teh book of rebvelation it can be considered Him speaking. When teh disciples say " this is I speaking not the Lord" it is them Not God speaking. How would you feel if someone complied a book about you and put other epeople ides about you in it and than told everyone it was you speaking, dont you think you may get a bit irritated for being blamed for things you never said....

If there is one God who never changes why do we have so many version of the one word??????
The record we have in the Bible of the devil speaking is the Word of God. The record we have of what Paul wrote in the New Testament is the Word of God. Yes, the book of Revelation is God speaking.

Concerning (1Cor.7:10-12) Paul first speaks in vs 10 of something Christ already said. "And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord..." In vs 12 he is saying something Christ did not say. " But to the rest speak I not the Lord...." But what Paul wrote was inspired by God. even though he said something Christ did not say before. (1Cor. 14:37) "If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual,let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord."

God is the One who inspired men to write His Word. So your question "how would you feel?" makes no sense.

You have different versions because you have different translations coming from at times a different Greek or Hebrew text.

Stranger

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Stranger said:
The record we have in the Bible of the devil speaking is the Word of God. The record we have of what Paul wrote in the New Testament is the Word of God. Yes, the book of Revelation is God speaking.

Concerning (1Cor.7:10-12) Paul first speaks in vs 10 of something Christ already said. "And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord..." In vs 12 he is saying something Christ did not say. " But to the rest speak I not the Lord...." But what Paul wrote was inspired by God. even though he said something Christ did not say before. (1Cor. 14:37) "If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual,let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord."

God is the One who inspired men to write His Word. So your question "how would you feel?" makes no sense.

You have different versions because you have different translations coming from at times a different Greek or Hebrew text.

Stranger
and this is how the Bible becomes God; by insistent repetition, and condemnation of those who would have you find Word, which is near to you, right now, and freely available to you. Which of course changes the power structure, and makes God Supreme. See why you must believe that the Bible is God; because the letter kills. It is the Spirit that brings life. And the Spirit is the Word.

And as has been said, this does not diminish the Book; BAM acknowledge the Commandments of the Lord;

11Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach.
12It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, “Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?”
13Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, “Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?”
14No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
and this is how the Bible becomes God; by insistent repetition, and condemnation of those who would have you find Word, which is near to you, right now, and freely available to you. Which of course changes the power structure, and makes God Supreme. See why you must believe that the Bible is God; because the letter kills. It is the Spirit that brings life. And the Spirit is the Word.

And as has been said, this does not diminish the Book; BAM acknowledge the Commandments of the Lord;

11Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach.
12It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, “Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?”
13Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, “Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?”
14No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.
If I am asked if Jesus Christ is the Son of God 100 times, I will give the same repetitious answer. Yes. If I am asked if the Bible is the Word of God, I will give the same repetitious answer over and over again. Yes.

If I am asked if the Bible is God, I repetitiously answer no.

Not acknowledging the Bible as the Word of God, does deny what the Bible says.

Stranger

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many translations of the scripture because there are many people who have been unhappy with available translations for one reason or another. That is, people tend to want a word from God that is more aligned with what they already believe. The Jews have the Tanakh which only contains the books of the Old Testament and places them in slightly different groupings than "Christian" bibles. I have a paper back copy of an English translation of the Tanakh with extensive footnotes regarding translation (as well as an electronic version). Every passage used by Christians to identify Jesus as the Messiah and as Lord are altered (translated differently) than the Christian versions to change the messianic meaning fulfilled in our Lord. Was this intentional? Absolutely. The translators were at least honest enough to note for these passages that the translation was "uncertain."
The founder of Islam, Mohammed, had come under the influence of some Christian and Jewish teachings before he received his "call" and though he wasn't capable of producing a translation of the scriptures of his own, he created his own version of Old Testament biblical stories which found their way into the Koran to give it some weight of Truth, in spite of the fact of his opposition to the God of scripture.
The founders of the Jehovah's witnesses cult , not believing that Jesus is fully God or holding strictly to trinitarian doctrine, created their own translation, the New World translation, (though none were experts in the original language) which altered the translation of every passage that would indicate Jesus' equality with God (though they missed more than a few, not having eyes to see Him.)
I believe that most of the older translations were created by students of scripture with cultist bents. EG: The darby translation may reflect the racist ideas of the author.
With newer translations, there is a profit motive among the publishers to sell more books, and since the major publishers of Bibles, like Tyndale house and Nelson publishers have a strong relationship in their origins to Free-Masonry, they've been less concerned with accuracy in the translation than the preservation of biblical symbology. That is, Free-Masonry has for centuries welcomed all religions that have a belief in a god and in a resurrection, and they use the bible for its symbolism, not for its plain meaning. Modern men, especially among "western culture" have been gradually introduced into liberal and feminist thinking which have introduced translations that are less gender specific, less demanding in their language, and have a more worldly or carnal bent.
Still, all these perversions of the written word leave the bulk of the message found in the original texts. Since the discovery and translation of a large number of ancient scrolls in the Dead Sea area, mostly preserved by the ancient Jewish Essenes, we have proof that the more modern Hebrew manuscripts vary less than 5 % from the manuscripts that predate Christ, with those variations being due to copy errors. The most literal translations may be the most difficult to understand, because much of the text uses figures of speech, popular sayings, cultural references, and technologies fallen out of use by most men for millennia. Transliterations have become more popular, because those authors rewriting scripture are attempting to express the same concepts and ideas found in the old text in modern languages, but these transliterations can only be as accurate as the understanding of the authors. Christians with a sound theology and understanding of God's sovereignty over creation, typically believe or accept that God has preserved His written word in its various forms for the purposes that He gave it, to make Himself known in the person of His Son, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Serious biblical scholars prefer to learn as much as they can about the original languages to examine the nuances in the meaning of the ancient words (which often varied with their use in the text.)
Those who have put their faith in Christ and in His sacrifice on our behalf, and have committed ourselves to Him in obedience (like a dutiful wife), have His promise (found in the written word in both old and new testaments) to receive a new heart, a new Spirit, and a new life in Him through the power of the third person of the godhead, the Holy Spirit, also called the Spirit of Christ, the Spirit of prophecy, the breath of God, etc.
God, in the person of His Spirit, indwells those who believe Him and remains with them to teach them the truth of His word and as the seal of His redemption (among other things). With God as a teacher, the translation becomes less important: The Holy Spirit rejects lies and reveals truth all with the purpose of revealing the Father in the Son and glorifying Him in the process.
I hope that this is a reasonable answer for you. You may not like it and I'm sure that many "professing Christians" wouldn't. God didn't give us the scripture for our approval, but for our knowledge of Him, and as the only valid basis for our faith.

biotheist

Dec 28, 2016
biotheist said:
Well for instance, Greek word's can have more than one english meaning. Greek words are more expressive than english words.

So it comes down to which is the right english word that expresses the root Greek word in question.

This is why all english translations differ.
Fixing spelling error.

biotheist

Dec 28, 2016
bbyrd009 said:

If God is the bible, then he can literally fit in my pocket.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
yes, the struggle is real, huh. The truth just refuses to stay put, doesn't It?
We reap what we sow, and we get what we give away.
I'm not struggling.

Indeed, the law of the harvest.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
so then, you might testify which translation of the Bible is Word. The Qur'an is a translation of Torah, so It is Word too, yes?
koran is a translation of Torah? Your ignorance is greater than I could imagine.

Stranger

Status
Not open for further replies.