• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which of these choices best represent your reason for being a Christian?

• It's just the right thing to do.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • My parents were Christians.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My friends or acquaintances influenced me the most.

• I just want to be saved.

• I love the opportunities for socializing.

• I get caught up in discussion and/or debates.

• My pastor influenced me the most.

• I want to cooperate with God in ending sin and suffering.

• I care deeply about people.

• I fell in love with Jesus.

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
People of ancient times needed a prophet working miracles to know God is real.

Those of today can know the answer by making a sincere effort to seek truth/knowledge. The answers have been written across books that were published and the internet. Digging through things that are untrue is necessary to find truth. But it can be known with a little time and effort.

Starting salary for many scientists is $30,000 a year. They're paid less than managers at mcdonalds. Yet some scientists afford luxury cars, big houses and expensive trips. How?

There is nothing remarkable about the culture or political implications of science in this day and age. Their format is a standard trend for most of history.

What is noteworthy is the trend of many christians adopting a strategy of distancing themselves as much as possible from science, politics and knowledge. A policy of isolationism in an attempt to use ignorance and entitlement as shields.

Jesus said: you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free.

Many christians have adopted a stance opposite to Jesus' words. They believe truth/fact is a burden. They're better off distancing themselves from it, and knowing nothing.

If knowing the truth sets us free.

Choosing to not know truth could naturally enslave us?

Should we be surprised if that set of choices produce those results?

Looking around the world countries with low levels of education correlate highly with corruption, crime and oppression. Lesser knowledge is associated with negative trends in society.

Long story short Jesus gave us the answer to maintaining freedom and solving our problems 2,000 years ago. "Know the truth and be free."

Knowledge = freedom.

Yet for whatever reason the gist of it hasn't really caught on over the last 2,000 years.

Maybe people prefer to be oppressed and persecuted rather than have freedom considering the choices I see people make almost always lead in that direction.
All of which begs the question, why is it that in those nations that are advanced scientifically, having the advantage of invention and technology, such as Australia, New Zealand, the US, and Europe, are turning away from Christianity. While in those nations that are poor, generally uneducated, and the majority in some cases living under totalitarian conditions wherein only the top 1% have the advantages we have, even living in the context of tribal culture still, such as Papua New Guinea, Africa, South East Asia, South And Central America, even China, are taking to the gospel in their hundreds and thousands. Science if anything is having a negative effect regarding the gospel. Which is a real time and real world reflection of the biblical statement...
KJV 1 Corinthians 1:18-29
18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in h
is presence.

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
turning away from Christianity

Religious terminology over the last 15+ years was adjusted and modified.

The definition of atheist was adjusted to include demographics which believe in a higher power but do not subscribe to any specific religious denomination. Which essentially means believers in God, deities or the supernatural who do not identify with specific faiths were recategorized as "atheists". This is where the claimed growth of atheism on a global scale stems from. The claimed growth of atheism could parallel claims of china surpassing the united states to become the #1 economy in the world. It is possible neither claim was true. They were both exaggerations.

A more accurate indicator might be observed in Richard Dawkins and Neil Tyson Degrasse. I remember Richard Dawkins being adored and loved back when he published his book "The God Delusion" around 2008. Since then public opinion has shifted.

The same might be said of Tyson Degrasse. It used to be impossible to see anyone criticize or say anything negative about him. People were blown away by his comparisons of people being made of matter and energy expelled by stars. Now the trend is shifting in the opposite direction.

Sam Harris originally became a celebrity and public figure by being an outspoken atheist. Since then he has distanced himself from his roots and tried to build his platform away from atheism and secularism.

Youtubers like theamazingatheist were once huge internet celebrities. I couldn't take two steps on an internet forum visited by youth without seeing someone spam his videos. Since then he has significantly lost viewership.

There appears to not be much that is compelling about atheism atm. Mark Zuckenberg, Andrew Tate and many other previous atheist celebrities have recently begun converting to islam, christianity and other faiths.

Tiktok and its content creators could be one exception. University enrollment could be another exception as well as woke ideology for youth in public schools. But it is questionable as to whether they can be sustained.

Last edited:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm so happy to hear that your son is alright. God is so merciful to us.

At the risk of distracting from your wonderful testimony, I don't think I could live in Australia without a freezer full of active charcoal poultices. I would be in constant fear of some loathsome creature rendering the life force out of someone I love (a slight exaggeration... I think). :eek::oops:o_O;)
God is good. Always. To everyone.
I still laugh when I remember arriving here from NZ (where there are no snakes and in all my 60+years never saw a local widow spider) 7 years ago, when being driven from the airport to my daughter's home an hour away, focused intently on the side of the road searching in vain for a snake or one of those "loathsome creatures" to hurl themselves teeth barred at the window of the van. After 7 years I am still yet to see a snake in the wild, even though we live in a semi rural area where I am constantly reminded that there will indeed be many snakes in the vicinity, and all of them potentially deadly. It is a fact that many have this apprehension concerning Australia, that one's next step could lead to pain, paralysis, and eventual oblivion. My son's recent experience a case in point. The thing is, such a reaction to a spider bite is extremely rare, and statistically there are very few snake bites.
There are a few things I have learned about this country since coming here. There are scorpions. I didn't know that. My immediate neighbor found one wandering through his house, and my daughter discovered a couple in a wardrobe.
I also learned that where we live in Victoria, all the snakes but 2, are venomous, and most of them would be in the top 10 most venomous in the world. In addition, there are 150 different breeds of venomous snakes throughout Australia, so one has a choice. Live in constant fear or trust in what everyone here says, they don't chase you and won't bite unless provoked. Except for the tiger snake. They are territorial. They are dangerous. They chase you. And they live everywhere, even in metro Melbourne. And especially in wet areas where there are frogs. Like in the paddock over the back fence. Two ponds. Lots of grass to hide in. And lots of frogs. And the locals fish and swim there in the summer. When the snakes are out and about and breeding. Australians are generally bonkers.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

The definition of atheist was adjusted to include demographics which believe in a higher power but do not subscribe to any specific religious denomination. Which essentially means believers in God, deities or the supernatural who do not identify with specific faiths were recategorized as "atheists". This is where the claimed growth of atheism on a global scale stems from. The claimed growth of atheism could parallel claims of china surpassing the united states to become the #1 economy in the world. It is possible neither claim was true. They were both exaggerations.

A more accurate indicator might be observed in Richard Dawkins and Neil Tyson Degrasse. I remember Richard Dawkins being adored and loved back when he published his book "The God Delusion" around 2008. Since then public opinion has shifted.

The same might be said of Tyson Degrasse. It used to be impossible to see anyone criticize or say anything negative about him. People were blown away by his comparisons of people being made of matter and energy expelled by stars. Now the trend is shifting in the opposite direction.

Sam Harris originally became a celebrity and public figure by being an outspoken atheist. Since then he has distanced himself from his roots and tried to build his platform away from atheism and secularism.

Youtubers like theamazingatheist were once huge internet celebrities. I couldn't take two steps on an internet forum visited by youth without seeing someone spam his videos. Since then he has significantly lost viewership.

There appears to not be much that is compelling about atheism atm. Mark Zuckenberg, Andrew Tate and many other previous atheist celebrities have recently begun converting to islam, christianity and other faiths.
Interesting, thanks for a different perspective.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Tiktok and its content creators could be one exception. University enrollment could be another exception as well as woke ideology for youth in public schools. But it is questionable as to whether they can be sustained.
Who changed the definition? An atheist is a person who believes that God doesn't exist. Period.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Jn1.Chris

May 25, 2023
Virginia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Honestly...this is a TESTIMONY forum.
The answer because I am! is not a testimony. I mean, you're not a Christian, and then you ARE a Christian. Yes I know the real rebirth is spiritual but someone happens...it's not like getting hit by a car. There's got to be SOME story involved.
Sorry pet peeve...I actually found this forum because I love reading testimonies and I'd exhausted whatever forum I was mining.

edit: this is purely selfish because I enjoy reading testimonies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassandra

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed, but anyone can and despite His exhaustive efforts to reveal His true, loving character, many do say no.
God has allowed it and as you say many have gone and are going that way... their own way that is. Do any of them also claim the label of "Christian"?

Reactions: amigo de christo

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Indeed, but anyone can and despite His exhaustive efforts to reveal His true, loving character, many do say no.
Yet we understand greatly not just the extent of God's love for man, but the power of that love. Jesus has already paid the ransom office for every man, woman, and child on the planet, throughout all generations. In other words, the whole world. God therefore has already initiated a relationship with us through Jesus, knocking on the door of our lives, pleading permission to do us good. But we also underestimate how much it takes to resist God's love. It takes determined effort, and decisive resistance and rejection.
I'm glad we don't get to make such decisions that judge whether one has resisted sufficiently to fully reject God's redemption offer.

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife