Why Baptize a Baby?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Ignorant people like YOU have been leveling charges of "paganism" against Christ's Church for 2 millenia now - ALWAYS without evidence and ALWAYS based on their own distortions.
Not only do you have ZERO evidence for your impotent claims - you don't even understand what "Sol Invictus" was all about . . .
be nice BoD or i will ask the mods to put you in a time-out where you belong, ok

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi GG,

Why not baptize babies? Jesus said the kingdom of God was for them also: Luke 18:15-16.

I think the person who does NOT bring an infant to Him has to explain WHY they are NOT bringing the infant to Him. Not the person fulfilling Scripture and bringing an infant to Him

Can you show me one example in the NT of a child raised in a Christian home who is baptized only upon making a "decision for Christ."? Since the NT was written many years after the death of Christ surely there would be at least ONE mention that a child made a decision to come to Christ. The only thing I can find is the leader of the house bringing children to Christ and having their entire household baptized.

Mary

You cannot show me any child being baptized. You have to know and understand it differs from good and evil know and understand what Christ did, before you can repent.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi GG,

Why not baptize babies? Jesus said the kingdom of God was for them also: Luke 18:15-16.

I think the person who does NOT bring an infant to Him has to explain WHY they are NOT bringing the infant to Him. Not the person fulfilling Scripture and bringing an infant to Him

Can you show me one example in the NT of a child raised in a Christian home who is baptized only upon making a "decision for Christ."? Since the NT was written many years after the death of Christ surely there would be at least ONE mention that a child made a decision to come to Christ. The only thing I can find is the leader of the house bringing children to Christ and having their entire household baptized.

Mary
Hi Mary,
Again the foundational question here is "why is any person baptized and what does that baptism accomplish", and then rest of the debated questions are built on that. Since this is a question that cannot be adequately answered with the Bible alone, we're left with his vs her interpretation of the Bible that goes no where. A person could back it up to the bigger question of "which sources/traditions should we accept", but that brings in a whole bunch more his vs her opinions.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hi GG,

Mary
Hi Mary, I don't really know what you want me to show you.

This is the point,,,,are we imputed with Adams sin?
If Yes, then all babies should be baptized.
If No, then it doesn't matter.

I'm sure you know that the concept of original sin was conceived by Augustine.
After this concept became dogma, it became necessary to baptized every baby ASAP in case of death.

The cc believes we are imputed with the sin of Adam.
This is the pivotal question,,,,,are we?

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hi Mary,
Again the foundational question here is "why is any person baptized and what does that baptism accomplish", and then rest of the debated questions are built on that. Since this is a question that cannot be adequately answered with the Bible alone, we're left with his vs her interpretation of the Bible that goes no where. A person could back it up to the bigger question of "which sources/traditions should we accept", but that brings in a whole bunch more his vs her opinions.
Why do You believe anyone should be baptized?
What about babies?
Do you believe all of humanity is imputed with Adams sin?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do You believe anyone should be baptized?
What about babies?
Do you believe all of humanity is imputed with Adams sin?
My beliefs--
A believer accepts Christ and is baptized as He commanded. This baptism is a covenant wherein the person taking on His name: all to that old person's previous sins/junk being washed away / dying, and the new disciple of Christ being reborn. I don't believe in the Original Sin (aka that Adam's sin was imputed on anyone). A newborn is pure and without sin, and is not capable of sinning because they have not yet learned right from wrong. A newborn can also not choose to take on Christ's name.

Reactions: GodsGrace

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
be nice BoD or i will ask the mods to put you in a time-out where you belong, ok
Why?? I haven't broken any rules.
All I've done is to challenge YOU to produce some evidence.

I know that seems offensive to an ignorant anti-Catholic like you - but if you're going to make asinine comments - you need to substantiate them with some actual facts . . .

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Why?? I haven't broken any rules.
All I've done is to challenge YOU to produce some evidence.

I know that seems offensive to an ignorant anti-Catholic like you - but if you're going to make asinine comments - you need to put your money where your mouth is . . .
when you can acknowledge that you have as much authority as the pope--what Christians accept, iow--we can talk at each other some more ok BoD, but for now imo you are just a usurper ignoring a Boundary Stone, wadr.

See, i am not a Papist, i do not call other ppl father, even if i can recognize Church fathers, etc, and fwiw what i get from this constant anti-anti-Catholic rhetoric is that you feel oppressed somehow by Christianity and i guess Christians too, which would of course explain why you come here every day, to get punished some more, right, or to dish some out.

So, dunno if you're straight Sadist or S&M, and wadr i don't really care mostly bc i see that you certainly do not, and if you want to call sprinkling babies' heads "baptism" that is ok with me too ok. I doubt anyone is chasing you at all BoD, i mean turn around and look bro. i volunteer for Catholic Charities 2 days a week now, was 5, but i'm the "anti-Catholic." :rolleyes:

have a nice day ok

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
when you can acknowledge that you have as much authority as the pope--what Christians accept, iow--we can talk at each other some more ok BoD, but for now imo you are just a usurper ignoring a Boundary Stone, wadr.

See, i am not a Papist, i do not call other ppl father, even if i can recognize Church fathers, etc, and fwiw what i get from this constant anti-anti-Catholic rhetoric is that you feel oppressed somehow by Christianity and i guess Christians too, which would of course explain why you come here every day, to get punished some more, right, or to dish some out.

So, dunno if you're straight Sadist or S&M, and wadr i don't really care mostly bc i see that you certainly do not, and if you want to call sprinkling babies' heads "baptism" that is ok with me too ok. I doubt anyone is chasing you at all BoD, i mean turn around and look bro. i volunteer for Catholic Charities 2 days a week now, was 5, but i'm the "anti-Catholic." :rolleyes:

have a nice day ok
You're NOT an anti-Catholic because you volunteer at Catholic Charities.
You're an anti-Catholic because you LIE about what the Catholic Church teaches.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
well BoD i guess that is maybe why you are here instead of mass, too, right
after all they lie about what the Bible teaches, so i guess it all works out huh

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Please discuss civilly anything you may wish to say.
We're here to discuss doctrine,,,not to name call.
Thank you.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please discuss civilly anything you may wish to say.
We're here to discuss doctrine,,,not to name call.
Thank you.
There you go again bearing false witness.
Who's "name-calling"??

Stating that bbyrd is an anti-Catholic is an observation based on his OWN claims. It would be like referring to somebody who believes the earth is flat as a "Flat-earther".
If I called him an "ignoramus" - then THAT would be name-calling.

Learn the difference . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well BoD i guess that is maybe why you are here instead of mass, too, right
after all they lie about what the Bible teaches, so i guess it all works out huh
Care to specify that claim??
I'm not holding my breath . . .

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some denominations baptize babies.

Catholics
Orthodox - Eastern and Oriental
Reformed
Lutheran
Anglicans
Presbytarians
Methodists
Nazarenes

source: Infant baptism - Wikipedia

John the Baptist baptized adults that wanted to have their sins forgiven.
Some denominations baptize adults as an outward sign of an inner change.

I speak only for the Catholic denomination here.
It's very interesting as to why they baptize babies as soon as possible.
It has to do with the imputation of sin. The CC did not always believe in baby baptism
in an official way. It was explained why babies were supposed to be baptized by Augustine of Hippo, 354 - 430 AD, he was the Bishop of Hippo (Africa) and was considered to be a very respected church theologian.

Believing that the grace of Christwas indispensable to human freedom, he helped formulate the doctrine of original sin

source: Augustine of Hippo - Wikipedia

IF the sin of Adam is imputed to all humans, perhaps babies SHOULD BE baptized.
IF the sin of Adam is not imputed to all humans, then why baptize babies?

Is Adam's sin imputed to all?
If so, wouldn't it be necessary to baptize a baby?

Revelation 21:27

and nothing unclean, and no one who practices abomination and lying, shall ever come into it, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life.

I believe BABY (baptizing/christening) has more to do with Mans ideals and contentment then Gods Word.

The Lord God "KNOWS" each of us BEFORE we are "naturally" Born.

The Lord God "KNOWS" BEFORE the individual, IF the individual will "elect" to Believe and submit to God, "OR NOT".

A BABY, (young child) does not yet KNOW About God, nor is equipped to MAKE an election to Believe or Commit their Life to God.

God Gives LIFE and Takes LIFE away.

A BABY is not Accountable to MAKE an election WITHOUT having received the knowledge.

Baby water baptisms/christening DO NOT SAVE a BABY....God Does.

God Bless,
Taken

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe BABY (baptizing/christening) has more to do with Mans ideals and contentment then Gods Word.
The Lord God "KNOWS" each of us BEFORE we are "naturally" Born.
The Lord God "KNOWS" BEFORE the individual, IF the individual will "elect" to Believe and submit to God, "OR NOT".

A BABY, (young child) does not yet KNOW About God, nor is equipped to MAKE an election to Believe or Commit their Life to God.
God Gives LIFE and Takes LIFE away.
A BABY is not Accountable to MAKE an election WITHOUT having received the knowledge.

Baby water baptisms/christening DO NOT SAVE a BABY....God Does.
God Bless,
Taken
Were 8-day-old babies "equipped" to make an election to be circumcised under the Old Covenant?
Were they "accountable" - OR were they raised in the faith by their parents who spoke FOR them under the covenant?

Reactions: Marymog

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Were 8-day-old babies "equipped" to make an election to be circumcised under the Old Covenant?

LOL But no matter IF you were wondering if OT babies could talk...

Cutting off a 8 day old males foreskin was not water baptism, nor saved the child's soul.

LOL...

God Saves Souls!

Were they "accountable" - OR were they raised in the faith by their parents who spoke FOR them under the covenant?

A child is not saved because their parents proclaim to Raise the child according to the parents Belief....
Under the Old circumcision of the foreskin.
Or
Under Tradition of a baby baptism/christening ceremony some Churches promote.

Any man can LEAD another toward Salvation...However Only Thee Lord God Saves...and water and foreskin circumcision and pomp of mans traditions have nothing to do with Thee Lord Gods Salvation.

Glory To God,
Taken

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

LOL But no matter IF you were wondering if OT babies could talk...

Cutting off a 8 day old males foreskin was not water baptism, nor saved the child's soul.

LOL...

God Saves Souls!

A child is not saved because their parents proclaim to Raise the child according to the parents Belief....
Under the Old circumcision of the foreskin.
Or
Under Tradition of a baby baptism/christening ceremony some Churches promote.

Any man can LEAD another toward Salvation...However Only Thee Lord God Saves...and water and foreskin circumcision and pomp of mans traditions have nothing to do with Thee Lord Gods Salvation.

Glory To God,
Taken
8-day-old males became part of the covenant with God via circumcision - a decision that was made FOR them.
They became member of the People of God.

When an infant is baptized - the decision is made FOR them by the parents and they become a member of the Family of God.
Really quite simple . . .

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
8-day-old males became part of the covenant with God via circumcision - a decision that was made FOR them.

When an infant is baptized - the decision is made FOR them by the parents and they become a member of the Family of God.
BoL, you're making the assumption that other Christians view baptism as a copy/paste version of OT circumcision. That assumption simply doesn't hold throughout Christiandom, hence the argument goes no where.

Once again, the big foundational question is *why* should a person be baptized in the first place.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Really quite Simple. Ceremonies do not Save a soul. God Does. God decides who will and who will not Become a "son of God"....not people deciding for others, not water, and not ceremonies.

You confuse who is a member of a man made Church with who is a member of Christ's Church.

Glory to God,
Taken