Why Can't Women Become Priests?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think scripture is not the answer to all questions.
I don't think. I know the scripture is the answer to all our questions. The secret is knowing where to look which most people don't because they never rread it.

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think. I know the scripture is the answer to all our questions. The secret is knowing where to look which most people don't because they never rread it.
What about how to build a rocket to go to Mars?
And so on ........

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When you say we are required to think it implies that I don't think. I am sorry that you have such a mindset that you can't acknowledge another persons contribution.

I thought about this for two years as I was researching the topic for a Ph.D. and during that time read over 60 books on the subject so I do think I know what I am talking about. I would like to know how a woman can be the husband of one man?
oops, that was badly said on my part. It should have gone like this; the woman to be the wife of one man. Not to be rude or disrespectful but seeing you've done so much study I'd a thought you'd figured out my bumbled expression.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

tsr

Feb 2, 2021
04/20/47
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is at least one organization that, without Church authority, calls itself "Roman Catholic" that ordains women as priests at the present time, Roman Catholic Womenpriests; and several independent Catholic jurisdictions have been ordaining women in the United States since approximately the late 1990s.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are definitely female Episcopal priests, I know at least 3. And, they are much like the CC.
But, that part of the Episcopal church broke off with many others in the '90s and, it is because they allow woman as priests and also ordain gay's. So, the whole of the Episcopal church has been divided.
I hope this doesn't veer off onto a gay thread :eek:

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Does anybody know? I don't want to I'm just wondering.
Hi AR, not sure if you are differentiating between Priests and other offices of the Church, or are merely referring to women in leadership roles? Just for the record, I personally believe that a priest is as authoritative as any leader, as far as their functionality and influence is concerned.

That is, the Scriptural arguments below pertain not only to Bishops or Presbyters, Elders or Leaders, but to priests also - those that teach adults, and have influence on both decisions and organization in the Church, and people's lives.
(Copy & pasted from a previous post of mine)

Never a female monarch, except for Athaliah who had no right to the throne (not from Judah, gained her position by treachery), and she ended up dying in utter shame and infamy because of it.
Never a female priest, and the lineage was passed on from 'father to son'.
Never a female judge except for Deborah, who was actually a prophetess, and when Barak refused to lead the battle, God said, I will shame you by giving the credit to a women.
Adam was created before Eve, Eve was created for man (Genesis 2:18). Paul explains this as to why women are forbidden to hold authority over a man (1 Timothy 2:12-14). This was a fundamental ground, not circumstantial nor cultural.
Head of Christ = God, Head of man = Christ, Head of women = man.
Women submit to your husbands (Ephesians 5:22-24)
Women obey your husbands (1 Peter 3:5-6)
etc...

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Timothy 2:12 (NKJV)
12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence.

Interesting that all of the NT Books were written by men. All of the Apostles were men.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God."

Woman is under the man and he is directly under Christ, and so he leads her. In Biblical times, if the woman was raised up over the man it was a rebuke against the men for not doing their job - consider Deborah in Judges. (prophetess and warrior)

"Certainly I will go with you," said Deborah. "But because of the course you are taking, the honor will not be yours, for the LORD will deliver Sisera into the hands of a woman." So Deborah went with Barak to Kedesh." -Judges 4:9

Let's not even get into Jael's peg. Whoo. Fierce, bold women.

Jesus did not feel less, bitter, or unequal to God because he was not the father and "only" the son. He still said, "The father and I are one."

That doesn't mean that a woman can't explain, teach, or correct. We see it in Acts 18:24-26. I'll let you read it for yourself but the last line, ".... they invited him to their home and explained to him the way of God more adequately" is an example.

Keep this in mind: Despite what the world tells us, scriptural humility and graceful femininity for a woman is not weakness or degrading. It is a strong, spiritual strength and takes great practice.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know how hard it is just to practice the graceful woman stuff?

Do you know how many times a day I burp out the intro to Beethoven's 5th Symphony or whatever it is that does the "dun-dun-dun-dun" scary intro without realizing it?

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Holy Bible Which IS The Word of Almighty God, very clearly states that no women can be Pastors/Teachers in a Church.

"Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor." (1 Timothy 2:11-14)

Women can lead/teach when only other women are present, or children. They cannot lead/teach in a Bible study group where any men are present. This is what the Holy Bible Teaches, and God's final Word on this. Regardless of what this world might say, matters not, for those who hold the Highest Authority of the Holy Bible.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know how hard it is just to practice the graceful woman stuff?

Do you know how many times a day I burp out the intro to Beethoven's 5th Symphony or whatever it is that does the "dun-dun-dun-dun" scary intro without realizing it?

Burping gracefully is sexy. :)

Kid joke for you. What is Beethovan's favorite fruit?

Ba-na-na-na.

Reactions: DuckieLady

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Bible Which IS The Word of Almighty God, very clearly states that no women can be Pastors/Teachers in a Church....

Women can lead/teach when only other women are present, or children. They cannot lead/teach in a Bible study group where any men are present.

From wikipedia:
Priscilla[edit]
Main article: Priscilla and Aquila
In Romans 16:3-5 Paul refers to the married couple Priscilla and Aquilla as his "fellow workers" saying they risked their lives for him. Paul worked and seemingly lived with them for a considerable time, and they followed him to Ephesus before he left on his next missionary journey. In Acts 18:25,26 Luke says Apollos, a "learned man," came to Ephesus and began speaking in the synagogue. When Priscilla and Aquilla heard him, they took him with them and "explained the way of God more accurately." Hayk Hovhannisyan says "either Priscilla was unaware of [Paul's doctrine that a woman shouldn't teach a man], which is virtually impossible; or she knew about it and decided to rebel--or the doctrine did not exist."

I recall reading a Catholic analysis stating a woman minister suffers from 'inefficiency of salvation.' I told my wife's female pastor about this and thanked her for inefficiently saving me by bringing me to Christ. We had a good laugh.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Burping gracefully is sexy. :)

Kid joke for you. What is Beethovan's favorite fruit?

Ba-na-na-na.

LOL Well, then I'm doing something right then. I'm not supposed to have tomatoes. I keep doing it anyway. My greatest phobia of entering a new relationship is waiting for the other person to break the "pass gas barrier." It is a necessary key step to setting the foundation of a healthy and sustainable long-term relationship. It is just always the question of who is going to do it?

This is where I feel letting the man lead is the most important. He should take this burden upon himself while I avoid drinking coffee so I know I'm in the safe zone.

(I seriously actually do think about this a lot. It's like my worst new relationship phobia. :D:D)

Reactions: Wrangler

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And that has to do with the topic,.. how? LOL :p

The Holy Bible Which IS The Word of Almighty God, very clearly states that no women can be Pastors/Teachers in a Church.

"Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor." (1 Timothy 2:11-14)

Women can lead/teach when only other women are present, or children. They cannot lead/teach in a Bible study group where any men are present. This is what the Holy Bible Teaches, and God's final Word on this. Regardless of what this world might say, matters not, for those who hold the Highest Authority of the Holy Bible.

That was in the prehistoric cavemen days. Things are a whole lot different today.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
LOL Well, then I'm doing something right then. I'm not supposed to have tomatoes. I keep doing it anyway. My greatest phobia of entering a new relationship is waiting for the other person to break the "pass gas barrier." It is a necessary key step to setting the foundation of a healthy and sustainable long-term relationship. It is just always the question of who is going to do it?

This is where I feel letting the man lead is the most important. He should take this burden upon himself while I avoid drinking coffee so I know I'm in the safe zone.

(I seriously actually do think about this a lot. It's like my worst new relationship phobia. :D:D)
Your'e a scream Fluffy!....but isn't it odd, personal revelations like this warm my heart....it's just so real!......but I did want to say that I see the whole issue of men/women and the stuff associated in the religious sphere as just another of the many smoke screens to distract from the resurrected Jesus.

When I cast my mind to all the distractions men engage theologically, all the things that men/women get their knickers in a knot about, I can think of that many it hardly leaves room to roll Gods overwhelmingly great love around in my mouth so to speak to get a taste let alone savour it.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And that has to do with the topic,.. how? LOL :p

That was in the prehistoric cavemen days. Things are a whole lot different today.
I think the matter of staying on topic needs to be given some rope.....and that's not to hang oneself with but rather to express thoughts that arise out of the process of conversation which diverge from the OP.
The attention span of most is relatively short at the best of times. Ideas ingested or dismissed generally takes time.....here a little, there a little. If it's not done through the process of formal study, it's done through exposure to stuff in and to the rough and tumble of life.