Why Can't Women Become Priests?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
From wikipedia:
Priscilla[edit]
Main article: Priscilla and Aquila
In Romans 16:3-5 Paul refers to the married couple Priscilla and Aquilla as his "fellow workers" saying they risked their lives for him. Paul worked and seemingly lived with them for a considerable time, and they followed him to Ephesus before he left on his next missionary journey. In Acts 18:25,26 Luke says Apollos, a "learned man," came to Ephesus and began speaking in the synagogue. When Priscilla and Aquilla heard him, they took him with them and "explained the way of God more accurately." Hayk Hovhannisyan says "either Priscilla was unaware of [Paul's doctrine that a woman shouldn't teach a man], which is virtually impossible; or she knew about it and decided to rebel--or the doctrine did not exist."

I recall reading a Catholic analysis stating a woman minister suffers from 'inefficiency of salvation.' I told my wife's female pastor about this and thanked her for inefficiently saving me by bringing me to Christ. We had a good laugh.

my theology comes from the Holy Bible, NOT Wiki anything.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Word of God has NOT changed, even though this wicked world we live in has. It is up to people to either obey or disobey what the Lord says

Actually it has. A lot of things changed after Christ's death and we became underneath the new covenant. Whether or not female preachers was one of those things that changed I don't know, but all I know now is today if you say a woman can't be a preacher then that makes you pretty sexist.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your'e a scream Fluffy!....but isn't it odd, personal revelations like this warm my heart....it's just so real!......but I did want to say that I see the whole issue of men/women and the stuff associated in the religious sphere as just another of the many smoke screens to distract from the resurrected Jesus.

When I cast my mind to all the distractions men engage theologically, all the things that men/women get their knickers in a knot about, I can think of that many it hardly leaves room to roll Gods overwhelmingly great love around in my mouth so to speak to get a taste let alone savour it.

I think you're right and honestly, I know @April_Rose isn't doing this and she was asking out of curiosity, but we tend to take things that are actually gifts and consider them to be "sexist" and degrading. We're protecting our egos too much. Throw the ego out of it and it's a blessing. It lightens the load.

There are things men do that I'd rather not do anyway. Those of us who are complementarians have a different way of looking at things. The men and the women have separate duties, separate roles to play in both church and family life, but both are of equal value. Polar opposites that compliment one another; vinegar and oil, milk and honey.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
my theology comes from the Holy Bible, NOT Wiki anything.
With respect but herein is a scary seed. History has revealed there are none so oppressive as those who think their view is infallible....Christian or non Christian.

What am I saying here? that the bible is not an authority?...no, I'm not saying that, I am saying it is one's particular understanding that is not an authority. We must differentiate between God's word and what we think God is saying......the later immortalised become the whip of the devil.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
With respect but herein is a scary seed. History has revealed there are none so oppressive as those who think their view is infallible....Christian or non Christian.

What am I saying here? that the bible is not an authority?...no, I'm not saying that, I am saying it is one's particular understanding that is not an authority. We must differentiate between God's word and what we think God is saying......the later immortalised become the whip of the devil.

your thinking is flawed!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually it has. A lot of things changed after Christ's death and we became underneath the new covenant. Whether or not female preachers was one of those things that changed I don't know, but all I know now is today if you say a woman can't be a preacher then that makes you pretty sexist.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this one. I have to stand with @ByGraceThroughFaith on this one, though the speech might be a tad abrasive.

“The counsel of the Lord stands forever, The plans of His heart to all generations.” - Psalm 33:11

“Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.” Matthew 24:35

The wisdom of the world is foolishness to God serves a good point that we need to understand. We do not always appreciate or understand what God is doing, but that doesn't mean that God's way is or ever was wrong. God's infinite wisdom does not change based on our own thinking, time, or culture, and it takes a certain Christ-like humility to trust his authority and wisdom, above our own.

If we believe that the word of God is true and that God knows what's best for our hearts, lives, thoughts, actions, words, then we have to accept what was written and cling to it. At first, we might oppose him, but when we trust in him and what he set before us, we are blessed for it. It's a part of the flesh that we have to fight to cling to God's will and not our own.

Reactions: amigo de christo

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this one. I have to stand with @ByGraceThroughFaith on this one, though the speech might be a tad abrasive.

Fair enough as there are some people that believe that and I should have reworded what I wrote because he was being more than a tad bit abrasive about it and doing a lot more than just simply stating his opinion.

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fair enough as there are some people that believe that and I should have reworded what I wrote because he was being more than a tad bit abrasive about it and doing a lot more than just simply stating his opinion.
Yes... These are the diamonds I was telling you about. :p:D

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

“The counsel of the Lord stands forever, The plans of His heart to all generations.” - Psalm 33:11

“Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.” Matthew 24:35

The wisdom of the world is foolishness to God serves a good point that we need to understand. We do not always appreciate or understand what God is doing, but that doesn't mean that God's way is or ever was wrong. God's infinite wisdom does not change based on our own thinking, time, or culture, and it takes a certain Christ-like humility to trust his authority and wisdom, above our own.

If we believe that the word of God is true and that God knows what's best for our hearts, lives, thoughts, actions, words, then we have to accept what was written and cling to it. At first, we might oppose him, but when we trust in him and what he set before us, we are blessed for it. It's a part of the flesh that we have to fight to cling to God's will and not our own.
And we sure do believe the word of GOD to be true . I say we just keep the original pattern firm to the end .
For not only did paul not allow woman to lead the church , he says why .
And if we notice , every time he mentions an elder , bishop or deacon . It says let HIM be the husband of one wife .
GOD did all as it pleased Him . While the man is not better than the woman , it is the way it was done .
Thus let us continue in this . I am a firm believer in keeping things real simple .
IF JESUS said to do it , we do it , if not to do we do not do . And that goes for all that is written by the apostels as well .
Now , Let us leap up and rejoice in the glorious Lord .

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
typical response when you really can't disprove what I have said from the Bible. You allow this world's evil ways dictate to you what is right and wrong, and dismiss the Teachings of God's Word.
again, interesting....talk of Grace yet loaded with telling the other where they stand...hmmmm

Reactions: April_Rose

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I heard a woman preach, and people responded to the altar call.
They responded to a call to accept what Christ did at the cross, so ...who can argue with that? I am sure Lydia, who is mentioned in the New Testament did a bit of preaching, there was a church in her house. Some believe that was the first church on European soil. The women discovering the empty tomb probably opened their mouth a lot about what they saw. Be aware that there is a difference between preacher and pastor, most pastors are great preachers, some preachers don’t have the quality to be a pastor.......praise God for women leading people to the Lord. If I see a woman preaching, praise God, I would support her.

Reactions: April_Rose

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Word of God has NOT changed, even though this wicked world we live in has. It is up to people to either obey or disobey what the Lord says

You are going on the assumption that someone gagged God and tied Him up in a corner after the biblical period. It is true that the evils of slavery, polygamy, and the subjugation of women were not addressed in the biblical period. Those moral issues were addressed much later.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I read with interest that the way that I have responded, is considered as "abrasive", and lacking in "grace", etc. If Jesus Christ were a member of these forums, He was probably be banned on day one! In Matthew 12:34, He says to the Jews, "You brood of vipers!". And in 23:27, "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness.". And in John 8:44, "You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies."

I call a spade a spade, and if this "offends" some, and it is the Truth of the Holy Bible, I am not sorry, because Bible Truth IS very painful. There is much of the worlds muck that has entered the Church, like the music, and much of the so called "preaching", which has very little to do with what the Bible says. There is much compromise by many Christians, as some are happy with the worlds view on how it all started, where some also a happy to adpot the utterly demonic "evolution", and that we came from apes! Divorce among Christians is very high, I have also read that some Christian women get abortions. Others who call themselves "Christian", see no objection in the Bible as being a practicing homosexual. Then we have the womens "Lib", who are also opposed to the Timeless Teaching of the Holy Bible, and because they cannot accept what God very clearly says in His Word, rail that it is outdated, and that the Bible needs to "move with the times"! The great American preacher, A W Tozer once said, that if the Holy Spirit were to withdraw Himself from the "Church", 80% would continue as though nothing ever happened! Go figure...

Reactions: Triumph1300

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Those moral issues were addressed much later

you mean by the world that we live in now, where abortion, homosexuality, Trans, etc, etc, are defined for us as being "morally" right, and the Holy Bible outdated? EVERYTHING that we need has been defined and addressed in the Holy Bible.