Why Can't Women Become Priests?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP,
First, Galatians 3:28
Second, Revelation 1:6

so the question is not, if, it's, do one believe the scriptures.

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

1 Samuel 16:7 But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

Reactions: April_Rose

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read with interest that the way that I have responded, is considered as "abrasive", and lacking in "grace", etc. If Jesus Christ were a member of these forums, He was probably be banned on day one! In Matthew 12:34, He says to the Jews, "You brood of vipers!". And in 23:27, "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness.". And in John 8:44, "You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies."

I call a spade a spade, and if this "offends" some, and it is the Truth of the Holy Bible, I am not sorry, because Bible Truth IS very painful. There is much of the worlds muck that has entered the Church, like the music, and much of the so called "preaching", which has very little to do with what the Bible says. There is much compromise by many Christians, as some are happy with the worlds view on how it all started, where some also a happy to adpot the utterly demonic "evolution", and that we came from apes! Divorce among Christians is very high, I have also read that some Christian women get abortions. Others who call themselves "Christian", see no objection in the Bible as being a practicing homosexual. Then we have the womens "Lib", who are also opposed to the Timeless Teaching of the Holy Bible, and because they cannot accept what God very clearly says in His Word, rail that it is outdated, and that the Bible needs to "move with the times"! The great American preacher, A W Tozer once said, that if the Holy Spirit were to withdraw Himself from the "Church", 80% would continue as though nothing ever happened! Go figure...
I said that I agreed with you... lol. I am in agreement with you, overall, but yes abrasive speech isn't usually helpful in leading someone to truth and it takes away from them. You said that you are living by the Bible. Understandable, but are you living by the Bible with your tongue in according to the way that the Bible says to or causing the same harm we're told to avoid mentioned in James?

James 3:9-12
"With it (the tongue) we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water.

You seem to have missed 2 Timothy 2. "And a servant of the Lord must not be quarrelsome, but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, and forbearing. He must gently reprove those who oppose him, in the hope that God may grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth."

"There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." - Proverbs 22:18

"Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God." James 1:19-20

You can state the truth and help people and still do it gently. Did you forget "Be wise as serpents and gentle as doves"? How do you expect to lead anyone to Christ by offending them first? Did you forget, too, why Paul talked about giving spiritual milk before solid food? He said they weren't ready for it. We can't force feed people.

We can get huffy, angry, and mad at sin all we want, but if we don't bridle our tongue, we'll cause more harm than good. We don't want to be at risk and responsible for causing people to hate the Bible, and throwing them into the fire ourselves.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like you are reading details into this situation details that are not present. In joining her husband she was present, and it is unclear if she was simply present, or if she gave a testamony, or spoke as equals with her husband. I doubt in that era that it would have been normal for the man to remain silent while his wife spoke to another man.

Not reading details into the text. Just basic reading comprehension. To say Jack and Jill went up the hill, means they both did it.

The question of greater authority and equality of testimony (beyond going up the hill) is besides the point.

My wife and I, together, have helped people. I don’t under take a process of determine who spoke more authoritatively or if our contribution was equal. Such a line of thinking is competitive and not cooperative. Point is, Priscilla was presented as an authority on doctrine over Apollo (?), which is silent on her authority over her husband.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is my concern with your line of thinking. For one you are suggesting that the Word of God is static ink on paper. My other concern is you are saying God cannot teach us to improve. No matter how ya cut it, Christ was dealing with an ancient people in a primitive culture. Slavery was evil and Christians needed to be taught that it was wrong. The subjugation of women was evil and Christians needed to be taught that it was wrong. Remove the evil among you. As time went on there were different and more challenges to access and judge right from wrong...As Christ said the fruit of the tree.
The kind of servant or slavery which paul spoke of what not necessarily evil . It wasnt like what was done to both WHITE MEN
by africans and africans unto africans and then it came to america . IT was not THAT Kind of evil slavery .
However if one can be made free , use it rather as paul even said .
But the to be a servant back in the day was often a very good life for many .
To be a WHITE slave in africa was not , nor was the way africans even treated their own and sold them to the whites
for to head to the colonies . Notice i said white . cause many of our liberal thinkers seem to have forgotten
that whites have been owned by blacks and treated very harsh as well during the centuries .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said that I agreed with you... lol. I am in agreement with you, overall, but yes abrasive speech isn't usually helpful in leading someone to truth and it takes away from them. You said that you are living by the Bible. Understandable, but are you living by the Bible with your tongue in according to the way that the Bible says to or causing the same harm we're told to avoid mentioned in James?

James 3:9-12
"With it (the tongue) we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water.

You seem to have missed 2 Timothy 2. "And a servant of the Lord must not be quarrelsome, but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, and forbearing. He must gently reprove those who oppose him, in the hope that God may grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth."

"There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." - Proverbs 22:18

"Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God." James 1:19-20

You can state the truth and help people and still do it gently. Did you forget "Be wise as serpents and gentle as doves"? How do you expect to lead anyone to Christ by offending them first? Did you forget, too, why Paul talked about giving spiritual milk before solid food? He said they weren't ready for it. We can't force feed people.

We can get huffy, angry, and mad at sin all we want, but if we don't bridle our tongue, we'll cause more harm than good. We don't want to be at risk and responsible for causing people to hate the Bible, and throwing them into the fire ourselves.
I am not defending nor accusing this person . But just out of experience , i have often been accused of being mean , ill willed
and even of an anti christ spirit , just because i am so grave and do warn .
I dont know this person . BUT if from the heart their desire is only good for the hearer , then i say let them warn so long as it is true .
I have not read much of what is said on this post .
But i do know that sometimes one who is being grave , aka serious , is often mis intepreted .
AND believe me its easy for us to do this on the internet .
You are loved my dear sister . I Do not know this person . Our heart should be in it for JESUS above all
and if it is , then we can see clearly to pull one out of error . And often it can be grave as well .
Its tougher to discern over the internet . I must agree . But we are in dire need for truth to get said .
I believe this generation , in large , has done two evils .
IT no longer beholds the severity of GOD , and thus it has learned a false GOODNESS of GOD .
A goodness that will overlook the severity side of GOD . WE must have BOTH . As i am sure you already know this dear sister .

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not defending nor accusing this person . But just out of experience , i have often been accused of being mean , ill willed
and even of an anti christ spirit , just because i am so grave and do warn .
I dont know this person . BUT if from the heart their desire is only good for the hearer , then i say let them warn so long as it is true .
I have not read much of what is said on this post .
But i do know that sometimes one who is being grave , aka serious , is often mis intepreted .
AND believe me its easy for us to do this on the internet .
You are loved my dear sister . I Do not know this person . Our heart should be in it for JESUS above all
and if it is , then we can see clearly to pull one out of error . And often it can be grave as well .
Its tougher to discern over the internet . I must agree . But we are in dire need for truth to get said .
I believe this generation , in large , has done two evils .
IT no longer beholds the severity of GOD , and thus it has learned a false GOODNESS of GOD .
A goodness that will overlook the severity side of GOD . WE must have BOTH . As i am sure you already know this dear sister .
I have the hardest time picturing you being mean :D

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Think about that . A generation that does not behold the severity of GOD
preaches a false goodness .
example . They holler GOD is love , and they are all about the acceptance of sins
calling things love and or closing an eye to evil . This is not good .
God will do exactly as it is written . UNTO the unrepentant HE will lay down the wrath .
AND i warn us all , its very fearful to fall into the hands of GOD , when once HE is angry and has risen up .
When the bible says that GOD will abandon the generation of His wrath . In jeremiah , IT means it .
WE must behold both the severity of GOD and the goodness .
BOTH .
And the goodness of GOD is the GOSPEL . But if we deny HIM , if we DENY the FAITH , then we or any who does so
is in dire grave danger .
AND if we are not hearers and doers of the word , OF JESUS , then we have denied HIM .
As paul would say . IF any provides not for his own , specially for those of his own household ....
HE has DENIED the FAITH . YES we must be hearers and doers . OBEY the SPIRIT .
Learn the sound doctrine in those bibles . God is with the lambs . HEED HIM . HEED the voice of the great Shepard .
AND learn and make sure its the biblical JESUS one is following .
FOR if folks coming preaching another jesus or another false inclusive social gospel , many are bearing with it , believing it
and they are fallling away fast . LEARN those bibles . ANd let us look out for one another .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have the hardest time picturing you being mean :D
Yes my dear sister . I am not mean . But being grave , these days , often confuses many .
Its because i am very point blank . If something is evil , i wont paint it gray .
Because my heart truly is for the people . You are loved dear sister .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Samuel 16:7 But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.
Examine this .
Notice in the law it was written that one could not be a priest , or even approach the alter to do service
if they had a mole , a blemish , any deformity .
Now , re read what you just sent .
GOD made something real clear and this also points us to a WONDERFUL TRUTH .
WHEN we choose our high priest , may we see as GOD sees , for GOD looks upon the inside .
THUS , The only one true great high priest , would have had to have been without spot or blemish ON THE INSIDE .
AND that just ruled EVERY single man born of woman RIGHT OUT .
CEPT FOR ONE . YES He was born of a woman and took on our flesh , YET HE , AND HE ALONE was without SPOT or BLEMISH on the inside .
GOD already KNEW . IT was always gonna have to be GOD that would SAVE US . IMMANUEL . LET THE LORD BE PRAISED .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
THE LORD sees not as man sees . THE GREAT HIGH PRIEST , WAS ALWAYS GONNA HAVE TO BE JESUS .
LET THE LORD BE PRAISED .
No man , even from his youth the heart is evil , is without sin .
BUT GOD IS . GOD knew Before the world even was .
JESUS IS THE ONLY HOPE a man has .
TO DENY CHRIST , IS TO DENY GOD HIMSELF . The GIFT of eternal life is free for all ,
BUT who so ever rejects shall be damned . The inclusive gospel is a lie . No other religion can save , and good works cannot save ,
and any love that comes FROM GOD , POINTS TO JESUS . REMEMBER THAT .

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
THE LORD sees not as man sees . THE GREAT HIGH PRIEST , WAS ALWAYS GONNA HAVE TO BE JESUS .
LET THE LORD BE PRAISED .
No man , even from his youth the heart is evil , is without sin .
BUT GOD IS . GOD knew Before the world even was .
JESUS IS THE ONLY HOPE a man has .
TO DENY CHRIST , IS TO DENY GOD HIMSELF . The GIFT of eternal life is free for all ,
BUT who so ever rejects shall be damned . The inclusive gospel is a lie . No other religion can save , and good works cannot save ,
and any love that comes FROM GOD , POINTS TO JESUS . REMEMBER THAT .
Oh the Lord be praised.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is my concern with your line of thinking. For one you are suggesting that the Word of God is static ink on paper. My other concern is you are saying God cannot teach us to improve. No matter how ya cut it, Christ was dealing with an ancient people in a primitive culture. Slavery was evil and Christians needed to be taught that it was wrong. The subjugation of women was evil and Christians needed to be taught that it was wrong. Remove the evil among you. As time went on there were different and more challenges to access and judge right from wrong...As Christ said the fruit of the tree.

Exactly although slavery was acceptable at one point in time it isn't now and neither is the sexist treatment of women.

I thought we are suppose to know them by their fruits. But maybe that changed as well. There are churches splitting up in disagreement about sexual orientation. Covid must be messing up some peoples brains.

Agreed but that's off topic though.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Examine this .
Notice in the law it was written that one could not be a priest , or even approach the alter to do service
if they had a mole , a blemish , any deformity .
Now , re read what you just sent .
GOD made something real clear and this also points us to a WONDERFUL TRUTH .
WHEN we choose our high priest , may we see as GOD sees , for GOD looks upon the inside .
THUS , The only one true great high priest , would have had to have been without spot or blemish ON THE INSIDE .
AND that just ruled EVERY single man born of woman RIGHT OUT .
CEPT FOR ONE . YES He was born of a woman and took on our flesh , YET HE , AND HE ALONE was without SPOT or BLEMISH on the inside .
GOD already KNEW . IT was always gonna have to be GOD that would SAVE US . IMMANUEL . LET THE LORD BE PRAISED .

Yes...
Leviticus 21:16-23 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, [17] Speak unto Aaron, saying, Whosoever he be of thy seed in their generations that hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God. [18] For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, [19] Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, [20] Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken; [21] No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the Lord made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God. [22] He shall eat the bread of his God, both of the most holy, and of the holy. [23] Only he shall not go in unto the vail, Hebrews 10:19-22)nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries: for I the Lord do sanctify them.

Or crookbackt...Luke 13:10-13 And he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath. [11] And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself. [12] And when Jesus saw her, he called her to him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity. [13] And he laid his hands on her: and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always thought the bible was written by men inspired by the Holy Spirit, I.o.w. by God, so how does that work if we are saying “the bible is NOT God”... where do you draw the line on certain issues..... all this talk these days how teenagers can decide on their gender and sexual orientation...blah...blah... has worked it’s way into Christian communities. Crazy if you ask me and sometimes I feel I am going to puke when I read or hear some stuff coming out of Christian groups. Looks like the world goes to hell in a basket.....

A book is not a God.
And man is not the final authority.
The Bible is not the final authority.
God is the final authority.
No doubt that crazy things are going on and things that the Bible did not address.
Pups suckle milk, but their comes a time when they need to turn to the meat.....of understanding.
The Bible talks about the milk of understanding and then the meat of it.
Learning God Word and applying God's word.
Having the ability to determine the worthiness of the fruit of the tree.
We do not want to be Christians that suggest that Christ was for slavery or the degradation of women.
The Bible addresses drinking but says nothing about abusing drugs...even cough syrup. Because the Bible does not address drug abuse we do not want to say, that is is ok.
We do not want to suggest polygamy and concubinage is ok because the Bible did not address it.
Little girls had no choice of who they married and usually around puberty, as the Jewish standard. And the Bible did not address how young a man's wife should be. And fathers saw marrying their daughters to an established man a good choice, so older men chose younger women and could pay the father more. This went on in Christianity until the Middle Ages. Christian marriage requiring the consent of the woman did not occur until around a thousand years after Christ.

When we drive we need to look into the rear view mirror, but your best driving is going to be looking forward. Since a lot of this was not addressed in the Bible, Christian history would have been a lot better if they would have considered the meat of knowledge and could see a lot of this was evil by nature that was in the path they were taking. But since it was not addressed by the Bible all of this continued for centuries and today some Christians still support and or practice it. And it is pathetic that society would best Christians by teaching them basic morals.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly although slavery was acceptable at one point in time it isn't now and neither is the sexist treatment of women.

That is exactly the point...but it is shameful that society had to teach Christianity that.
If Christianity looked at the Bible and understood the Spirit of Christ rather than use the Bible as a static guide, they would have known a lot of the things they were doing was evil. But evil persisted because it was not addressed in the Bible. Even today some Christians practice the degradation and subjugation of women because the Bible did not address it or laid it out that way. Look at some of the responses on this forum. There are Christian denomination that would not allow their women to voice their opinions on this forum.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is exactly the point...but it is shameful that society had to teach Christianity that.
If Christianity looked at the Bible and understood the Spirit of Christ rather than use the Bible as a static guide, they would have known a lot of the things they were doing was evil. But evil persisted because it was not addressed in the Bible. Even today some Christians practice the degradation and subjugation of women because the Bible did not address it or laid it out that way. Look at some of the responses on this forum. There are Christian denomination that would not allow their women to voice their opinions on this forum.

Didn't the Bible also talk about men buying women for prostitution? Obviously that's illegal now. I know that some people do it but it's still against the law.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does anybody know? I don't want to I'm just wondering.

I would say; Taking into consideration of Gods ORDER, in the Beginning when the Temples was Established.

Temple- Earthly House of God.

First Tents/ Fields/ Homes.
Men gathered to Hear.
Women and children stayed home.
Men went home and told what he learned.
As Temples were built; women could be in the
...Outer Court....men in the Inner Court...
...High Priest could enter "ritually" behind a
...curtain or door to a small area called:
...the Holy of Holies...Gods Sacred Place.

During days of OT, there were women who Read, And Repeated to others.

...when Jesus arrived to Establish HIS Church,
...as He hung on the cross, the Temple in Jerusalem was Destroyed.

(To note...branches so to speak, were called Synagogs...and only One Temple, in Jerusalem...where Animals were Sacrificed.)

As Jesus' Body on the cross became a believers Sacrifice... and The coming "Holy Spirit", (Born Again) to be given believers after Jesus back rose up to Heaven...the Temple, (of brick and mortar no longer necessary)...
Jesus' Pure Blood Given for our payment of Sin. No more animal sacrifice...animals blood ...earlier Sin Offering, for Forgiveness.
...Jesus offered His Blood once and for All for all believers.

Church Established...women and children allowed...at first somewhat Chaotic...
Loose lips women, women curious with questions, chattering, cry babies...
A new experience...
Men had already been practicing...All Quiet while only ONE would read from the Scrolls Scripture.

2,000 + years have passed.
Many women not married at 14-15 yrs.
Many women, with absent husbands.
Children without fathers in the homes.
Many parents not teaching their Children.
Regular talking, texting, sleeping, listening to ball games, gossiping, flirting, fashion show, making dinner plans...etc..... in Church.
And:
Preachers who do not believe, Pastoring.
Preachers preaching "feel good about yourself".
Preachers preaching "Opinions", Philosophies", rather than Gods Truth.

Some Churches...keep a strict code, that women can not Preach.

Some Churches allow women...even Children to Preach.

Likely...a Long standing Tradition of some Churches.

(And while all Christian churches proclaim, following Christ...I believe God looking down, is disappointed at what goes on in some buildings being called A CHURCH.)

God Bless,
Taken

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Didn't the Bible also talk about men buying women for prostitution? Obviously that's illegal now. I know that some people do it but it's still against the law.

Prostitution was never condoned in the Old or New Testament. But concubinage was practiced in both. A concubine in the Old Testament was a sexual servant and the Mosaic Law allowed for fathers to sell their daughters into concubinage. The New Testament does not address polygamy or concubinage, so that continued on also. I know of a Christian that has a wife and a concubine. He is a Protestant and because he does not recognize the Catholic Church's decision to stop this and because the Bible does not address it, he feels that it is lawful. Now a lot of this is addressed with civil law, and the Church did stop this but it took a thousand years for them to catch on.