Why Can't Women Become Priests?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does anybody know? I don't want to I'm just wondering.

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone who can potentially become pregnant is a big minus for Christian leadership positions.
This is my unbiased, unmisogynistic , unfiltered, unfeminist, unnecessary opinion.

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Why do some denominations rule out religious leaders getting married and having children?
I blame the Church. The RCC. Ask them.
I think their answer might go along the lines of sticking to tradition. And there weren't any female apostles or evangelists. Something like that. Breaking with tradition would be apostasy. Apparently. Pragmatically speaking of course, they have no argument.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Does anybody know? I don't want to I'm just wondering.
They'd have to change the name to Priestess which is a too hard a thing to do....why?.....beats me. There doesn't seem to be any difficulty changing the Commandments of God for the commandments of men.

Reactions: Taken and TLHKAJ

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I assume your question is about Catholic priests. There are female pastors.

Yeah, I already knew that.

Why do some denominations rule out religious leaders getting married and having children?

Idk, but they did have a good point though.

They'd have to change the name to Priestess which is a too hard a thing to do....why?.....beats me. There doesn't seem to be any difficulty changing the Commandments of God for the commandments of men.

People never really change the commandments of God, they just don't always keep them.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
To be a Priest back in the days was no easy task, like it is nowadays.
A Priest would be set upon by heathens and Priest had to learn how to defend themselves.
Wolfs and the Shepherd ?
The Shepherd (Priest) was not a gutless weakling like you see Priest are mainly nowadays. they were fire and brimstone preachers of God, not lukewarm parasites.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No woman is a son of Aaron and all “priests” had to be sons of Aaron.
No man can be a priest because the Romans destroyed the temple and the Muslims built a mosque on the site ... which is OK, because Jesus is the only priest that we need.

A woman or man can equally be part of the Body of Christ and a member of the Christian Community.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Because they are applying humanistic ideas. At the same time women are forbidden to preach, teach, or assume pastoral authority within the local church. That is according to Scripture.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because they are applying humanistic ideas. At the same time women are forbidden to preach, teach, or assume pastoral authority within the local church. That is according to Scripture.

There is a verse about an evangelist having their doctrine refined by a woman, Lydia, I think. What do you make of that verse?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
To be a Priest back in the days was no easy task, like it is nowadays.
A Priest would be set upon by heathens and Priest had to learn how to defend themselves.
Wolfs and the Shepherd ?
The Shepherd (Priest) was not a gutless weakling like you see Priest are mainly nowadays. they were fire and brimstone preachers of God, not lukewarm parasites.

I would say it is still no easy task, only now the conflict mainly comes from within.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not Catholic, but I have a woman pastor at my church and had one at my last. I would never feel comfortable being one, because growing up, I was always taught scriptures of men being the head of the church.

I believe women can be pastors though.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I would say it is still no easy task, only now the conflict mainly comes from within.
Outside influence being the worst of this world, many yellow belly priest are about nowadays, all the woman priest that I have met are hopeless. I thought one on TV Myer ? was ok in a way but then seen it all truly was all about salesmanship over all and boasting like an idiot.
I think that many women (not all) do not know when to stop and take heed of reality check, I have seen such with our women Primers who are totally oblivious to what is going on outside of there little group. not to mention get all catty and start fighting out of control with emotions taking over control.
One PM called the Iron Lady in the UK was great and all the boys in the Parliament were a Joke then, there was not a man amongst them all, just boys ! so woman can be great leadership not to mention we have women Saints who were great.

I don't think that the Priesthood nowadays can be worthy of God, because if one was truly a Saint they would be full on attacked 24/7 only a woman could come up and hammer the establishment of todays degenerate world and expose it for what it truly is and rip the guts out of the low life bastards.
White Men nowadays are kicked around like dogs 24/7 and have become way to timid, the education system does not create Men, it works to only creates little boys.

Maybe a Mulatto man could come along and smash the establishment and expose it for what it truly is, too the world, so as to truly wake it up out of it's slumber of such great delusions. I don't think that such a one could come out of a Church denomination because they would only hammer such a one down, he would have to come out on his own bat, in Christ alone. and stand up and just hammer them all, exposing them truly for what dregs that they all are peddling in this world.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not Catholic, but I have a woman pastor at my church and had one at my last. I would never feel comfortable being one, because growing up, I was always taught scriptures of men being the head of the church.

I believe women can be pastors though.
These sort of forums are replete with people saying what they think. They try to avoid searching the scriptures, preferring to slavishly follow what they have been taught by the leader of the church. Which goes to show how badly they have been taught.

It is refreshing when someone says the scripture says this....They may still get it wrong but at least they are making an attempt to start with scripture, not with "I think....."

So what does the scripture say about female pastors? The truth is not a lot. But it does say a lot about Elders who were the people who were leaders of the church along with the apostles and prophets. Having a shepherding ministry for that is what a pastor was/is, did not make him a leader of the church. Some Elders had a shepherding ministry but not all. Apart from Timothy and Titus there are 23 verses that talk about the leadership of the church. In every case it is Apostles, Prophets and Elders. Pastors are not mentioned once.

Of course women can have the ministry of shepherding and so they should, but that does not make them leaders of the church.

In anyone contends that they can be leaders they have to answer the question from Timothy that leaders have to be the husband of one wife. The question? How can a woman be the husband of one wife unless she is a lesbian who have a tendancy to call anything anything if it suits their purpose.?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In anyone contends that they can be leaders they have to answer the question from Timothy that leaders have to be the husband of one wife. The question? How can a woman be the husband of one wife unless she is a lesbian who have a tendancy to call anything anything if it suits their purpose.?
We are also required to think. I would see Paul's statement above as generic meaning it could also be understood as meaning, the wife to be the husband of one man. I don't get my knickers in a knot over this stuff.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We are also required to think. I would see Paul's statement above as generic meaning it could also be understood as meaning, the wife to be the husband of one man. I don't get my knickers in a knot over this stuff.

When you say we are required to think it implies that I don't think. I am sorry that you have such a mindset that you can't acknowledge another persons contribution.

I thought about this for two years as I was researching the topic for a Ph.D. and during that time read over 60 books on the subject so I do think I know what I am talking about. I would like to know how a woman can be the husband of one man?