Why Date Picking is Wrong

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have done a video backing Isaac Newtons 2060 AD prophecy and supporting the idea that there are seven church's that came about in ages...

1. Ephesus - Apostolic
2. Smyrna - Martyr
3. Pergomos - Orthodox
4. Thyatira -Catholic
5. Sardis - Protestant
6. Philadelphia - Methodist / Pentecostal
7. Laodicea - Charismatic

However... With that video came many disclaimers that these dates are 'close' and quoted Isaac Newton as saying...

“It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner. This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fancifull men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, & by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail. Christ comes as a thief in the night, & it is not for us to know the times & seasons which God hath put into his own breast." –Isaac Newton

So I date picked...But did it in a manner to support Isaac Newton's statement above. I was listening to a sermon on date picking (BBNRadio.org) and got to agree with the guy.

http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/wisdom-for-the-heart/player/prophecies-predictions-why-date-setting-is-wrong-part-1-226271.html

http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/wisdom-for-the-heart/player/prophecies-predictions-why-date-setting-is-wrong-part-2-226272.html

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA
Hi Rockytopva,

I disagree. Newton was flesh and blood and prone to human frailty just like the rest of us. Certainly he had integrity, but he did not have complete knowledge. Even further, he wasn't privy to the "time of the end", (as he died in 1730), and is even further removed from end-time prophetic concepts.

Take for example the 19th book of the Bible. The chapters are prophetic to the Jews, chapter for year, for the 1900s. And where we can validate this by hindsight, (and Daniel discovered it by angelic revelation), Newton was completely oblivious to this.

Another example, -- the nation of Israel was founded in 1948. As such one could postulate that seventy years after that date Jesus would return, (that would be ~2018). So now weigh this postulation against the Prophetic Psalms and see if there is any validation.

But of course, Newton lacked these resources and I would propose that he was insufficiently provisioned to make anything more than a speculation, -- albeit a wrong speculation.

BibleScribe

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Rockytopva,

I disagree. Newton was flesh and blood and prone to human frailty just like the rest of us. Certainly he had integrity, but he did not have complete knowledge. Even further, he wasn't privy to the "time of the end", (as he died in 1730), and is even further removed from end-time prophetic concepts.

Take for example the 19th book of the Bible. The chapters are prophetic to the Jews, chapter for year, for the 1900s. And where we can validate this by hindsight, (and Daniel discovered it by angelic revelation), Newton was completely oblivious to this.

Another example, -- the nation of Israel was founded in 1948. As such one could postulate that seventy years after that date Jesus would return, (that would be ~2018). So now weigh this postulation against the Prophetic Psalms and see if there is any validation.

But of course, Newton lacked these resources and I would propose that he was insufficiently provisioned to make anything more than a speculation, -- albeit a wrong speculation.

BibleScribe

But... He was pretty darn close for a guy who made this prediction some 300 years ago!

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA
But... He was pretty darn close for a guy who made this prediction some 300 years ago!

Hey rockytopva,

I think we all should anticipate the big event sometime around the year 2033, -- being the final 2-days (2,000 years) after Christ. So even that is closer than Newton. And of course the Prophetic Psalms is to the year, -- 2018 --, even "closer".

So I maintain Newton was a man of the highest integrity, but even with all his significant abilities, his is not Scripture. :)

BibleScribe

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the second broadcast Dr Stephen Daily lays out 7 reasons why we should not date pick...

Date Setting....

1. Destroys the doctrine of Imminence (the imminent return of Jesus at any time and at any moment)
2. Disobeys the teaching of Christ (But concerning that date and hour no one knows ... But the Father only)
3. Distorts the clarity of scripture (There are no dates available in scripture) --- Notes Campings calculations
4. Distracts the focus the church (Notes Campings encouragement to leave current teachings)
5. Discourages the misguided believer (People destroyed their lives believing this prophecy would come true in 2011)
6. Delights the unbeliever (Injures the truth... Atheist publications used this to justify their positions)
7. Dilutes the warnings of true judgement (Where is the promise of his coming?) - 2 Peter 3:4

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA
Hey Rockytopva,

LOL, -- your seven justifications are a lot of hooey by people who would pick a date if they had a clue.

A date is easy, provided it's neither the day nor the hour. But the "year", absolutely; the "season", certainly; the "month", possibly for some; and the "week", potentially for an expert, (of which I'm not).

And this is not to say I can discern it from the news, or by a "spirit" (usually a lying spirit), but simply by Scripture. And if it weren't simple, I certainly wouldn't be able to figure it out. :lol:

BibleScribe

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA
To All,

Please allow that Scripture provides information so that the children will not be caught unaware. As such, it was J.R. Church who wrote the book "Hidden Prophecies In The Psalms". In this, he presented the concept where the Psalms is the 19th Book of the Bible, which is prophetic for the 1900s, Chapter for year. Thus if one read this 19th Book, Chapter 44, for the year 1944, one could perceive the Holocaust. Likewise, if one read the 19th Book, Chapter 48, for the year 1948, one could perceive the international recognition of the nation of Israel. When this concept reaches Psalms 100, it's 1900 + 100, for the year 2,000, and so forth.

It's a simple concept, and only requires that one first of all understand modern Jewish history from the perspective of the Jews. Secondly, there are other aspects which could be considered including that Psalms 118 is the middle chapter of the entire Bible. Equally one could consider that Psalms 117 is the shortest Chapter, and Psalms 119 is the longest Chapter.

As such, one should contemplate if there is any significance to these three aspects, such as possibly a significant event, -- possibly the Return of Jesus in the year ~2018~.And if I perceive correctly, I would anticipate that event at that time.

So is "Date Setting" Scriptural? I would observe that no man can know the day nor the hour, but we can easily know the year, and possibly up to the season / month / week.

BibleScribe