Why did God love and forgive David so?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Don't be like others who, because they don't like it won't believe it.
imo this is not a fair characterization, or at least not of everyone. Surely a parent might eventually come to a point where they hate one of their children, i guess, but IRL i think the concepts generally coexist as a rule? You love your kid, but hate when he _______?

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Trust the Scriptures.
do you think the Scriptures are holy, Stranger? i did, dunno now.
You will be the minority, but a minority with God.
easy to be a minority of one that way imo. Trust trusted witnesses that agree with each other i say, even when they are not agreeing with you

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Human love can hate...why? Because it is it's nature to not be Divine Love...
There is a difference. God's Divine Love is different..how do I know?
I asked my Father for His Divine Love for 2 years...it isn't human love, brotherly love,
romantic love, puppy love, emotional love, dysfunctional love...
Ask for this Divine Love...and if anyone does ...maybe we can share the enormous
humility it takes and what it put us thru.
i would think a mother's love would be our closest analogy; a parent's love?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
God cannot hate, if HE did, than he would not be Love
imo we need some term to characterize God's position, and human terms are the best we can do though. We might replace "hate" with "don't recognize as valid, or even existing" for God, maybe, but it would change the impact, at the very least

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I ask because I see talk of sin so much...believing, pleasing or not pleasing God so much..
and hell....
What was up with David?
I think someone said once because he was so sorry afterwards.
I don't have much to add..just asking.
Thank you in advance all..

Why did God love and forgive David so?
For me: this is why:
I have asked God why He loved sacrifice and burnt offerings so much? Some of the OT traumatized me in what seemed like total brutality. Can you see a slaughter, blood sprinkled over a congregation. It seems barbaric until, it had to be Him, that showed why He loved the sweet savour of burnt flesh so much. It is about the anticipation of God, to come in the flesh to redeemed and save, showing mercy and grace and love. It is not about death at all. It is about life. That is why He loved and forgave David...in anticipation of what God was going to do through the Son. ["For God so loved the world"]. What God was going to do, is how God could love and forgive a sinner like David.

Genesis 8:20-21 KJV
[20] And Noah builded an altar unto the Lord ; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar. [21] And the Lord smelled a sweet savour;[of the Son] and the Lord said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

Exodus 29:17-18 KJV
[17] And thou shalt cut the ram in pieces, and wash the inwards of him, and his legs, and put them unto his pieces, and unto his head. [18] And thou shalt burn the whole ram upon the altar: it is a burnt offering unto the Lord : it is a sweet savour, an offering made by fire unto the Lord.

Ephesians 5:1-2 KJV
[1] Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; [2] And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.

2 Corinthians 2:15-16 KJV
[15] For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish: [16] To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things? For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

Are we not, all after God's own heart? To do the will of God and not our own will. To Love and forgive. To walk in Spirit rather than after the flesh? David is an example of what was to come, which was Christ and the birth of a peculiar people set apart. It is difficult to distinguish between the Lords voice and David's voice in Psalms. They intertwine.

Ezekiel 36:26-27 KJV
[26] A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. [27] And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them .

Acts 13:22-23 KJV
[22] And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will. [23] Of this man's seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus:

Luke 11:2 KJV
[2] And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.

Isn't this how Jesus instructed us as children to pray: "thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth." That is only possible with a heart that is after God. God loved us while (like David) we were still in sin. In anticipation and fulfillment of that sweet savour: in the sight of God speak we in Christ. It wasn't about David. It was about the Son. It all is.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VictoryinJesus, thank you.

Since this thread for some reason has made a turn focusing on "hate"...you bringing
up Luke 11 was perfect...Thy will be done as in heaven, so in earth...I immediately went to...
Hey guys? There's no hate in Heaven.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VictoryinJesus, thank you.

Since this thread for some reason has made a turn focusing on "hate"...you bringing
up Luke 11 was perfect...Thy will be done as in heaven, so in earth...I immediately went to...
Hey guys? There's no hate in Heaven.

Earth filled with His presence.
As it is in Heaven.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Did anyone come up with any scriptures where it actually says that God loved David? I can't.
1 Sam 13 "God sought a man after His own heart.
Acts 13 "I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after Mine own heart, which shall fulfil all My will."

I believe God saw in David more that in others ..( my belief was that David saw God's heart...I stick on that. :) David had insight )
People have said God loved David and forgive him because he repented.
So did others!! Or have said " God saw loved David more because he was one of His...so were many others!!
Going back to the OP I don't think God loved David more, God was impressed with the level of David's heart... David loved God much.. 'He who is forgiven much loveth much.'
God didn't even call David His friend as He did for both Moses and Abraham.
I think we all love David because of the many times he blew it , repented and was forgiven much. David kept short accounts with God. He loved the felt-presence of God and would not risk losing that...so was a repenter.
He had much more repenting to do than Moses and Abraham did. He was good at it because he had more practice at it!! :)
God also chose David to use in "hanging out all his dirty laundry"...this one one thing in the Bible which makes it credible...anyone else writing it would have white washed David, Pater, Sampson, Moses, Lot , Abraham...but God exposes it all...shows us all their weaknesses. Yet David was a man after God's own heart...Moses and Abraham His friends...

Exod 33 11 "And the Lord spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. "
Isa 41 "But thou, Israel, art My servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham My friend."

I believe our Father is always showing us how approachable He is, and that no sin is beyond His forgiveness. Praise the Lord.
There is always a message of hope for us .

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God created us because of love, God sent Jesus to the cross, because of Love, Jesus went to the cross for us willingly because of Love, God cannot hate, if HE did, than he would not be Love. God loved me before I was born and HE will Love me because of who He is, not because of anything I do or have ever done, there is not anything we can do that will ever change the way God loves us. thats just who God is. No man will veer be able to say that God loves him because of what he did, because none will boast, none.
What God did before the foundation of the world of men was speak His Word. What He spoke was good, because He was good. He made men also "very good" but He allowed them to do something nothing else in His creation could do: disobey Him. We did not have to disobey, but when we did we did something God Himself personally could not do... that is go against God. Do we suppose that God was or is pleased when one or more of us disobeys Him?

Calling this wrong choice on our part hate on God's part may not be accurate, but whatever we call it the result is the same. The price of unrepented disobedience [sin] is death. This is the curse versus the blessing. God always is willing to give the blessing, but man very often chooses for himself the curse. Who made the curse? Does being separated from God [the curse?] because of our choice cause God to hate us? That is the way men have written it in scripture. Again whether or not saying God's hates people [such as Esau] is ultimately accurate, is not the result the same for those of us who choose our their own ways instead of God's Way?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And since God knew Jacob and Esau from the beginning, then he would love Jacob and hate Esau from the beginning. As I said earlier, God loved David because David was one of His.

Stranger
I won't argue with that. It still leaves open to me just where and why the beginning began as it did. Were men made hateful by God or did they make themselves hateful?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What God did before the foundation of the world of men was speak His Word. What He spoke was good, because He was good. He made men also "very good" but He allowed them to do something nothing else in His creation could do: disobey Him. We did not have to disobey, but when we did we did something God Himself personally could not do... that is go against God. Do we suppose that God was or is pleased when one or more of us disobeys Him?

Calling this wrong choice on our part hate on God's part may not be accurate, but whatever we call it the result is the same. The price of unrepented disobedience [sin] is death. This is the curse versus the blessing. God always is willing to give the blessing, but man very often chooses for himself the curse. Who made the curse? Does being separated from God [the curse?] because of our choice cause God to hate us? That is the way men have written it in scripture. Again whether or not saying God's hates people [such as Esau] is ultimately accurate, is not the result the same for those of us who choose our their own ways instead of God's Way?
If we choose death over life, wont stop God from loving us. God cannot hate. He is either light or darkness, He is either God or the devil, He is wither good or He is evil, He cant be both, that would make Him like a psychopath, If God hated us for what we do, than He in His wisdom would just destroy it all, and start with a new Adam, a robot that wont get it wrong.

The bible says a lot of things about God, who wrote teh bible. ??? The hands of men.

Reactions: bbyrd009

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
seems harsh, but then that is Law i guess
It is harsh, but whose fault is it? People, [and this certainly includes me] do not really understand how very evil they have become since the first man sinned. David was the apple of His eye and/or a man after His heart, but David had how many wives?

"And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." Matt 19:4-6

Even though his heart was toward God, David still never understood that it was supposed to be one man for one woman. Multiple spouses is not God's ideal Way. Yet, little by little man is supposed to be moving closer to God. David had wives and was never rebuked. His son Solomon had wives and was rebuked, but primarily for having the wrong kind of wives rather than for having more than one.

Adam who had Eve according scripture had only one spouse. What happened to David and Solomon and so many others?

What is it that you have or that I have that is still offensive to God's perfect Way? How much mercy has He shown?

It would seem to me that while there is still time there is always room to grow closer to God.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I won't argue with that. It still leaves open to me just where and why the beginning began as it did. Were men made hateful by God or did they make themselves hateful?

Well, first of all, you and I know things began as they did because God so directed that they be so.

Consider this: God exists. He is Holy righteous and good. Anything opposed to Him is evil. It doesn't matter if what is opposed to Him is moral or immoral, good or bad, that it opposes God is evil. And God hates it.

With the creation of satan, you have everything that opposes God. And, as a result, you have another seed introduced into the family of man. (Gen. 3:15) You have the seed of the serpent, and the seed of God passed down through man. (1 John 3:9)

So, as I have indicated before, it is who one is of, God or satan, that determines if God's love or hate is directed. God knows. And satan knows.

Those who are of satans seed, will naturally hate God and God hates them. Those of God's seed will naturally love God, and God love them.

It is all about, who are you of? The Christian is of God. Those who reject Jesus Christ are not of God.

Stranger

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So, as I have indicated before, it is who one is of, God or satan, that determines if God's love or hate is directed. God knows. And satan knows.

Those who are of satans seed, will naturally hate God and God hates them. Those of God's seed will naturally love God, and God love them.
Where does it say God hates satans seed?

Reactions: bbyrd009

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we choose death over life, wont stop God from loving us. God cannot hate. He is either light or darkness, He is either God or the devil, He is wither good or He is evil, He cant be both, that would make Him like a psychopath, If God hated us for what we do, than He in His wisdom would just destroy it all, and start with a new Adam, a robot that wont get it wrong.

The bible says a lot of things about God, who wrote teh bible. ??? The hands of men.
No argument from me on what you say. One needs to be able to read between the lines of the Bible and this requires a personal communication with God Himself. The Bible is still a dead carcass. Maybe there are some dead parts that cannot be quickened, but who am I to point them out? My own way on it is to keep the whole Book and read it all regularly. Let the Holy Spirit in me do the sifting for the old man of me surely is unable to do it.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does it say God hates satans seed?

Do you believe that God destroys the seed of satan and cast him and them into eternal lake of fire and does not hate them?

That God hates is already established. That God loves is established. God loves those that are of Him.

Or, are you saying God loves satan and his seed? Read again my post #95.

Stranger