Why did Jesus say this for?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“And the chief priest, having risen up in the midst, questioned Jesus, saying, ‘Thou dost not answer anything! what do these testify against thee?’ and he was keeping silent, and did not answer anything.

Again the chief priest was questioning him, and saith to him, ‘Art thou the Christ — the Son of the Blessed?’ and Jesus said, ‘I am; and ye shall see the Son of Man sitting on the right hand of the power, and coming with the clouds, of the heaven.’

And the chief priest, having rent his garments, saith, ‘What need have we yet of witnesses? Ye heard the evil speaking, what appeareth to you?’ and they all condemned him to be worthy of death, and certain began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say to him, ‘Prophesy;’ and the officers were striking him with their palms.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭14:60-65‬ ‭YLT98‬‬
Mark 14:60-65 And the chief priest, having risen up in the midst, questioned Jesus, saying, ‘Thou dost not answer anything! what do these testify against thee?’ and he was keeping silent, and did not answer anythin | Young's Literal Translation 1898 (YLT98) | Download The Bible App Now

If you would like a different reading grab your Bible and really start from Mark 13-14 and read it out loud to yourself and consider what is being said in its context back then in that day when Mark had written it which is I believe considered to be written in the early 50ish Ad, possibly one of the first Gospels made before John, Matthew and Luke’s accounts.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are able to, reading from Mark 10 all the way to 15 is even better.

Pray, Ask the Father in Jesus Name to help you by the Holy Spirit and consider the context and read it to yourself and think about all the things being said, as if you were there with them, know who is who and what is being said and what is being done in those interactions.

• God bless stay safe.

Reactions: amadeus

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Was there a particular point you were making, Matthew? This is about the events surrounding Jesus’ betrayal and arrest, so what was it that you wanted to concentrate on? Sometime we assume that people are on our wavelength, but they aren’t……give us some clues as to what points you want us to consider.

Reactions: ChristisGod

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why did Jesus say this for?
Jesus said, ‘I am; and ye shall see the Son of Man sitting on the right hand of the power, and coming with the clouds, of the heaven.’
He said it because His Kingdom was about to commence upon His death and resurrection.

Luke 22:69 repeats it and in Psalms 110:1 God tells Jesus to sit at His right hand until God makes Jesus' enemies His foot stool.

It culminates with 1 Corinthians 15:23-25 where we see once again the reference to Jesus' return ("coming in the clouds of heaven" Mark 14:62) just before "the end, when He shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, ... when He shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. For He must reign, till He hath put all enemies under His feet."

Jesus is announcing the commencement of His Kingdom.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was there a particular point you were making, Matthew? This is about the events surrounding Jesus’ betrayal and arrest, so what was it that you wanted to concentrate on? Sometime we assume that people are on our wavelength, but they aren’t……give us some clues as to what points you want us to consider.

Jesus saying to the high priest to him that he would one day see the son of Man coming in his glory. Interesting when looking at this from this perspective. That he didn’t lie about his coming back in that day in age.

though we have no written documentation (other than what Jesus said and the Apostles) of it, the culmination as Gen2Rev explains to me happened when The believers in that day were watching for him to come, and maybe the high priest condemned Jesus with everyone else however was converted later and he did see it as he would be preached and hear about the coming again of Jesus.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“And the chief priest, having risen up in the midst, questioned Jesus, saying, ‘Thou dost not answer anything! what do these testify against thee?’ and he was keeping silent, and did not answer anything.

Again the chief priest was questioning him, and saith to him, ‘Art thou the Christ — the Son of the Blessed?’ and Jesus said, ‘I am; and ye shall see the Son of Man sitting on the right hand of the power, and coming with the clouds, of the heaven.’

And the chief priest, having rent his garments, saith, ‘What need have we yet of witnesses? Ye heard the evil speaking, what appeareth to you?’ and they all condemned him to be worthy of death, and certain began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say to him, ‘Prophesy;’ and the officers were striking him with their palms.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭14:60-65‬ ‭YLT98‬‬
Mark 14:60-65 And the chief priest, having risen up in the midst, questioned Jesus, saying, ‘Thou dost not answer anything! what do these testify against thee?’ and he was keeping silent, and did not answer anythin | Young's Literal Translation 1898 (YLT98) | Download The Bible App Now

If you would like a different reading grab your Bible and really start from Mark 13-14 and read it out loud to yourself and consider what is being said in its context back then in that day when Mark had written it which is I believe considered to be written in the early 50ish Ad, possibly one of the first Gospels made before John, Matthew and Luke’s accounts.

Why did Jesus say he was the Christ? I believe we agree Matt, he is the Christ.

Reactions: amadeus

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus saying to the high priest to him that he would one day see the son of Man coming in his glory. Interesting when looking at this from this perspective. That he didn’t lie about his coming back in that day in age.

though we have no written documentation (other than what Jesus said and the Apostles) of it, the culmination as Gen2Rev explains to me happened when The believers in that day were watching for him to come, and maybe the high priest condemned Jesus with everyone else however was converted later and he did see it as he would be preached and hear about the coming again of Jesus.
Not sure if you care, or if you've ever considered it, but believing that Jesus has already returned is very harmful to young Christians.

And to all who may ever come to believe in Jesus and the Bible.

It strips them of a great deal of hope in a time when the world needs hope more than anything else.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes Jesus says every eye will see Him when He returns at His 2nd Coming. That is still yet to come. And Jesus proclamation of the Son of man coming in Glory was a reference to His Deity hence the " blasphemy " just like in several other places in the N.T. where He claimed to be God and they tried killing Him for that same "blasphemy " in their minds/ hearts.

hope this helps !!!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If anyone else has anything they would like to share please feel free to do so.

I do not personally subscribe to traditions that have been around for awhile, and proclaim that Jesus is still returning ( I love my brothers and sisters)
, as that is why I am sharing just a simple evidence of what Jesus said to someone else... not to any of us, but to the High Priest himself in his day in age.

Thank you so much.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Gen2Rev,

I personally do not feel convicted because I believe Jesus Christ returned in the first century. People who believe Jesus is still returning are not gonna be swayed unless they desire to consider what they have been traditionally taught. Going against ones tradition leaves one on shaking ground.

Anything that has been learned traditionally, or what one believed was true for a number of years then it comes out to be false, that can leave a person on shaking ground and lose hope.

One shouldnt lose hope is Jesus, just because of the subject ' Has Jesus returned or has he not', cause all of the people on earth when the earth flees from them in death, are going to be resurrected into the Heavenly Realm. My hope personally is to be able to see all my family, and people that have come across me in life, in the heavenly realm, and go outside the kingdom and help those out in the darkness.

I dont care if people believe me or not, that does not matter. They should check and question themselves along with their traditional teachings, and start thinking for themselves, and seek out God in faith, being lead by the holy spirit.

:)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why did Jesus say he was the Christ? I believe we agree Matt, he is the Christ.

I like to try to go further than this, though eschatology is something many not get to involved in, as it is a particular hard task to understand, an for me personally I have been taught to go against traditional thinking when it comes to if Jesus has returned or not.

Thus I believe he came in the first century for the pure-blameless bride of Christ in that day in age. That is why I was sharing this information Jesus spoke to the High Priest, pertaining to his 'coming'.

It is not about Jesus coming, dying, being resurrected as the Son of God, the Messiah, the one who was 'the Anointed one' - Christ.

Many people have this common knowledge about Jesus through the scripture but there is more to learn than just that basic knowledge.

Thank you for commenting.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No, no, no. You're trying to isolate that sole Mark 14:62 Scripture from the rest of The Bible. Cannot do that. Jesus' 2nd coming did NOT... happen back in the days of those blind Pharisees. They have yet today... to see Jesus coming in the clouds.

Here is what Lord Jesus was pointing to...

Rev 1:7
7 Behold, He cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see Him, and they also which pierced Him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of Him. Even so, Amen.

KJV

That is about Lord Jesus' FUTURE coming on the last day of this present world. How then, will those dead Pharisees see His coming on that day? Understanding that is where in-depth Bible study begins, i.e., the "strong meat" of God's Word.

How will they see that Rev.1:7 event? By the resurrection, because on that future day of Christ's coming, Jesus said ALL in the graves will hear His voice and come forth (John 5:28-29). That is HOW "every eye shall see Him" on that day.

Did you not realize that event is what the 6th Seal shows about Christ's future coming...

Rev 6:14-17
14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;
16 And said to the mountains and rocks, "Fall on us, and hide us from the face of Him That sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

17 For the great day of His wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?"
KJV

Reactions: ChristisGod

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Davy, I believe it is good to look at all four Gospels, to read and understand and learn the context, along with all of the other letters of the Apostles to make a case.

Many people only believe Revelation 1 - 4 was pertaining to those written but everything past that is future, it is a common belief system that I am past now. I do not believe how many people believe about a future coming other than us dying and being resurrected and going -> towards the Presence of the Heavenly Realm in which all people are resurrected and placed either coming into the Kingdom Of Heaven, or placed outside of the Kingdom of Heaven.

It makes no difference to me if you believe different because most people are going to be opposed to the view of 'Jesus already coming back' and having victory over all things.

As it is common for people to hold on to a future hope of restoration instead of enjoying the Restoration that has been made in Christ by God to reconcile the world back to himself - which just leaves us in a world of Choice.

Will we love God, and love others? (Even despite those who may have different perspectives on the Ancient text?)

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Gen2Rev,

I personally do not feel convicted because I believe Jesus Christ returned in the first century. People who believe Jesus is still returning are not gonna be swayed unless they desire to consider what they have been traditionally taught. Going against ones tradition leaves one on shaking ground.

Anything that has been learned traditionally, or what one believed was true for a number of years then it comes out to be false, that can leave a person on shaking ground and lose hope.

One shouldnt lose hope is Jesus, just because of the subject ' Has Jesus returned or has he not', cause all of the people on earth when the earth flees from them in death, are going to be resurrected into the Heavenly Realm. My hope personally is to be able to see all my family, and people that have come across me in life, in the heavenly realm, and go outside the kingdom and help those out in the darkness.

I dont care if people believe me or not, that does not matter. They should check and question themselves along with their traditional teachings, and start thinking for themselves, and seek out God in faith, being lead by the holy spirit.

:)
Ok.

Fair enough.

Just for the record, every single thing I believe, and hold as true, I have learned directly from Scripture - not from any traditions of men. Just saying.

God bless.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been taught to go against traditional thinking
May I ask who has taught you these things and why you put so much weight into their opinions/beliefs?

Not asking for names/addresses, just who in a general sense.

Just curious about how other believers construct their working models of belief about God and His Word.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Evidences seen in the bible, spoken by Jesus and the Apostles.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, no, no. You're trying to isolate that sole Mark 14:62 Scripture from the rest of The Bible. Cannot do that. Jesus' 2nd coming did NOT... happen back in the days of those blind Pharisees. They have yet today... to see Jesus coming in the clouds.

Here is what Lord Jesus was pointing to...

Rev 1:7
7 Behold, He cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see Him, and they also which pierced Him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of Him. Even so, Amen.

KJV

That is about Lord Jesus' FUTURE coming on the last day of this present world. How then, will those dead Pharisees see His coming on that day? Understanding that is where in-depth Bible study begins, i.e., the "strong meat" of God's Word.

How will they see that Rev.1:7 event? By the resurrection, because on that future day of Christ's coming, Jesus said ALL in the graves will hear His voice and come forth (John 5:28-29). That is HOW "every eye shall see Him" on that day.

Did you not realize that event is what the 6th Seal shows about Christ's future coming...

Rev 6:14-17
14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;
16 And said to the mountains and rocks, "Fall on us, and hide us from the face of Him That sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

17 For the great day of His wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?"
KJV
Amen still awaiting the Millennium , His kingdom here on this earth along with the New Heavens and the new earth. If He returned 2000 years ago we would already have a new heavens and new earth and the Resurrection would of already happened. Evil in existence proves its still in the future. Common sense reading of the bible tells us this quite plainly in simple language.

The Bible tells us that when Christ returns to the earth He will establish Himself as king in Jerusalem, sitting on the throne of David (Luke 1:32–33). The unconditional covenants demand a literal, physical return of Christ to establish the kingdom. The Abrahamic Covenant promised Israel a land, a posterity and ruler, and a spiritual blessing (Genesis 12:1–3). The Palestinian Covenant promised Israel a restoration to the land and occupation of the land (Deuteronomy 30:1–10). The Davidic Covenant promised Israel a king from David’s line who would rule forever—giving the nation rest from all their enemies (2 Samuel 7:10–13).

At the second coming, these covenants will be fulfilled as Israel is re-gathered from the nations (Matthew 24:31), converted (Zechariah 12:10–14), and restored to the land under the rule of the Messiah, Jesus Christ. The Bible speaks of the conditions during the millennium as a perfect environment physically and spiritually. It will be a time of peace (Micah 4:2–4; Isaiah 32:17–18), joy (Isaiah 61:7, 10), and comfort (Isaiah 40:1–2). The Bible also tells us that only believers will enter the millennial kingdom. Because of this, it will be a time of obedience (Jeremiah 31:33), holiness (Isaiah 35:8), truth (Isaiah 65:16), and the knowledge of God (Isaiah 11:9, Habakkuk 2:14). Christ will rule as king (Isaiah 9:3–7; 11:1–10). Nobles and governors will also rule (Isaiah 32:1; Matthew 19:28), and Jerusalem will be the political center of the world (Zechariah 8:3).

Revelation 20:2-7 gives the precise time period of the millennial kingdom. There are countless other passages that point to a literal reign of the Messiah on the earth. The fulfillment of many of God’s covenants and promises rests on a literal, physical, future kingdom. There is no solid basis for denying the literal interpretation of the millennial kingdom and its duration being 1,000 years.got?

PS- I'm responding to you as matthew has me on ignore.

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: Davy

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In continuation of my post #4, none of this is accurate.
The Bible tells us that when Christ returns to the earth He will establish Himself as king in Jerusalem, sitting on the throne of David (Luke 1:32–33).
Not even close to what that passage "tells us". Verse 32-33 there come immediately after Jesus physical birth into the world.
The unconditional covenants demand a literal, physical return of Christ to establish the kingdom.
Chapter and verse? or it's just your own personal declaration.
The Abrahamic Covenant promised Israel a land,
Completed.

Joshua 21:43
Joshua 21:45
a posterity and ruler, and a spiritual blessing
Completed.

Hebrews 1:8
1 Corinthians 15:23-24
The Palestinian Covenant
This is just a fancy name for the Land Promises - already addressed above.
The Davidic Covenant promised Israel a king from David’s line who would rule forever—giving the nation rest from all their enemies.
Completed.

Joshua 21:44

And 'True' Israel's ruler is currently Jesus Christ and His kingdom is now ruling upon the earth via the Holy Spirit within all His faithful Saints all over the world.

Jesus' kingdom commenced upon His death and resurrection. It ends when He returns - just as Scripture plainly states. 1 Corinthians 15:24

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see you Christo.

Also the kingdom Jesus has established.
That (spiritual) kingdom can never come to an end. There will always be people on this earth being translated to faith once they come to accept the truth and place their faith in the death, burial, and resurrection which forms the new born christian whom still needs to learn and grow to produce fruit.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are you saying God will resurrect the blind Pharisees, too see Jesus’s return?