Why do alot of Christian denominations have a problem with looking into the Past for the return of Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That sucks.
What sucks?

It was simple and direct. Im out of bounds on helping.
What was simple and direct?
Its alright though. :) Its more of a personal issue you seem to have.
What do you mean its MY personal issue? What is?
I don’t rely on my feelings all that much.
Then what did you mean by subjectivity? I'm not certain you know what it means.
I simply believe Jesus and his promise to come back to that generation.
I thought you said he already came back.
It doesnt effect my life or anything already believing Jesus came,
I am aware of a sect of preterists who believe Jesus already "came", but they don't think he physically arrived, the believe that "to come" means to come in judgment. Is that what you mean? Jesus came in judgment?

“Faith shows the reality of what we hope for; it is the evidence of things we cannot see.
Paul was talking about our justification, which is something we can't see.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What sucks?
Your attitude towards the view that I have.
What was simple and direct?
If you did not pay attention the first time, why would you pay attention a second time?
What do you mean its MY personal issue? What is?
It just seems to me to be a personal issue. (Do I have to point those out for you?)
Then what did you mean by subjectivity? I'm not certain you know what it means.
I already stated it, why do it again?
I thought you said he already came back.
I have.
I am aware of a sect of preterists who believe Jesus already "came", but they don't think he physically arrived, the believe that "to come" means to come in judgment. Is that what you mean? Jesus came in judgment?
That is one section of pretertist. I do not know everything they believe. Jesus did come back, and the wrath of God was poured out on the material nation of Israel, in AD70. That was a lost of all their material things, and Jesus also promised for those things to happen.
Paul was talking about our justification, which is something we can't see.
Okay, with Jesus Christ having come back, just as he promised - coming by and throught the clouds, I believe faithful people in that day saw him coming and they were taken and transferred onwards to the Kingdom of the Heavenly Jerusalem, with everything being finished up with judgement of that prior age with hell being poured and everything like that.

It's something I believe by faith, something I never seen, but I believe that it happened, and have hope that Jesus did not fail those people in that day in age, as so many people continue to believe that he did fail, and has yet to come back.

Now whether or not you agree with any of this, is not really up to me. You can continue to tell me I am relying on my feelings, and blah blah blah, whatever. Having faithin God being able to do something, as promised, and Jesus doing something as promised, doesn't have anything do with feelings. It is as you said.

"Either he did come back, or he hasn't" something you must work out between yourself if you want, or if you haven't or whatever it is you gotta do your own studies.

By faith and a held belief in Jesus returning for his bride - its all through the gospel and the letters.

Some believe; hope; expect to see Jesus come back. That way they can get out of the world and finally find rest forever. They hope that this world will be destroyed, and they hope death upon wicked people.

Objectively - this was going to be the wrat of God poured out on those who killed his Son and continued their evil deeds placing burdens, and worshipping idols in secret, when the great trib. All the tribes which were of the Faith would see the Son of Man come to get them. Which was a promise through the Gospel and the letters.

Revelation spoke of a time coming wuickly and without delay. And Jesus came and got His bride. The Kingdom had been established and the old way of doing material religion was pumpled to the groud just as Jesus promised.

Now whether or not you see these things as viable or that it has any value that is overlying topic concerning Jesus and his return:

There was no 1000 literal years on top of that is been 2000 years; to hold that concept as viable could be a progative one may enjoy endeavours in.

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Why do alot of Christian denominations have a problem with looking into the Past for the return of Christ?​

because he hasn't returned!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your attitude towards the view that I have.
Allow me to reiterate my concern. Your initial post (post #1) concluded with the following statement:

"Overall I believe by faith Jesus had came and taken his bride, - its just a subjective take compared to what most denominations preach today."

The two phrases highlighted above are red flags for me, which seem to indicate the post-modern exegesis. I was hoping, through conversation, you might flesh out your understanding of these two phrases, so I might better understand your worldview. You seem to have adopted a perspective on truth that is contrary to the Biblical understanding and that concerns me.

But perhaps my concern is misplaced. Perhaps I misunderstand you. I am open to being corrected, and so please help me understand your intended meaning. I feel your frustration at my confusion, since, in your mind, you were perfectly clear. Even so, please consider that I am willing to listen, and I am not willing to assume to understand what you said. Please consider that I have taken the time to ask you to flesh out what you mean to say.

If you did not pay attention the first time, why would you pay attention a second time?
It's not about paying attention, it's about understanding your intended meaning and whether or not you share a post-modern worldview with the current culture. As Christians living in a secular world, we may use some of the terminology but give it a Christian meaning or interpretation. Therefore, I was trying to find out your perspective on truth.

It just seems to me to be a personal issue. (Do I have to point those out for you?)
It seems that you believe that my "issue" is not related to the topic we are discussing. However, I want to clarify that my personal agenda is to promote a beneficial Biblical hermeneutic, which is based on a commitment to objective truth. Therefore, I am concerned about your conclusion that "faith" in the post-modern sense and subjectivity are beneficial for successful Biblical exegesis. I believe that this approach is antithetical to knowledge, especially Biblical knowledge, and can be detrimental. I urge you to reconsider and adopt a more useful and effective method.

I already stated it, why do it again?
I am asking you to state what you mean by "subjective" using different words. In a previous post, I defined the term "subjective" the way I understand it, I applied my understanding of the term to what I thought you said. Then I asked you, "Is my interpretation correct?" Why didn't you help me or clarify what you meant?

Do you believe in objective truth? I assume you do, so then why describe your understanding as a "subjective take"? If your take is based on objective truth, then how is your take "subjective?"

Again, do you have a reason for your conclusion? If you do, then what is it?
I do not know everything they believe. Jesus did come back, and the wrath of God was poured out on the material nation of Israel, in AD70. That was a lost of all their material things, and Jesus also promised for those things to happen.
I comprehend your message, but the expression "come back" could be misleading. We must continuously remind ourselves to differentiate between the Father and the Son based on what the scriptures reveal about them and their individual responsibilities.

The promised return of Jesus Christ is a promise that God will return to the earth and live among human beings. That is on the one hand, but on the other hand, the scriptures differentiate between the Father and the Son in that the Son will return to earth. We understand this from passages like the following:

Luke 17:22-25
And He said to the disciples, “The days will come when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, and you will not see it. And they will say to you, ‘Look there,’ or, ‘Look here!’ Do not leave, and do not run after them. For just like the lightning, when it flashes out of one part of the sky, shines to the other part of the sky, so will the Son of Man be in His day. But first He must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation.

In this passage, Jesus refers to himself as "the son of man". This is a technical term that means he is a descendant of David and is the rightful king of Israel who will rule on David's throne forever. The phrase "son of man" originally came from Psalm 8 and was later used in Daniel 7:13 where the son of man is given dominion, honor, and a kingdom.

Jesus tells his disciples that they will long for those days when Jesus will rule on earth, but they will not see it because the son of man must suffer and be rejected by "this generation." And the New Testament records Jesus was crucified on a cross outside the city of Jerusalem (outside the camp). Later, the Father raised the Son from the dead and the Son ascended to sit at the right hand of the Father.

I want to clarify my point; distinguishing between God the Father and God the Son is important. According to the prophet Daniel, God the Father grants God the Son an everlasting dominion that will never pass away. When Jesus Christ returns to earth, he will not only be the king of Israel but also the king over all the Earth. The New Testament word for his "coming" is "parousia", a technical term referring to the arrival of a king.

The Bible also speaks about a time when God the Father will come in judgment of Israel. Jesus predicted this in Matthew 23. In that context he tells the Scribes and Pharisees that he will leave their house desolate, and they will not see Jesus again until they say, "Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord." It was God the Father, not God the Son who "came" in Judgment against Jerusalem and Israel. In a sense, the desolation was a "coming" of the Lord, but it wasn't a "parousia" of the Lord. Rather, it was a "parousia" of the Roman General Titus, whom God the Father brought against Jerusalem in order to cause the desolation.

Okay, with Jesus Christ having come back, just as he promised - coming by and throught the clouds, I believe faithful people in that day saw him coming and they were taken and transferred onwards to the Kingdom of the Heavenly Jerusalem, with everything being finished up with judgement of that prior age with hell being poured and everything like that.
But do you have any proof or rational basis on which to accept this as true?
It's something I believe by faith, something I never seen, but I believe that it happened, and have hope that Jesus did not fail those people in that day in age, as so many people continue to believe that he did fail, and has yet to come back.
This is what I feared. You are expressing the post-modern exegesis in that you think that "faith" is believing something apart from truth or facts. This is NOT what the Bible means by "faith."
Now whether or not you agree with any of this, is not really up to me. You can continue to tell me I am relying on my feelings, and blah blah blah, whatever. Having faithin God being able to do something, as promised, and Jesus doing something as promised, doesn't have anything do with feelings.
You should be praised for your belief in God and his ability to fulfill his promises. However, it is important to consider whether God fulfilled his promise in the way you claim he did.

It is as you said.

"Either he did come back, or he hasn't" something you must work out between yourself if you want, or if you haven't or whatever it is you gotta do your own studies.
But it appears that your view is not based on study. It's based on "faith" whatever that means to you. And that is what I want to know. What do you mean "by faith?" And why are your beliefs subjective rather than objective?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@CadyandZoe, just because your highly intellegent doesn't mean you have the right to look down on me because I choose to believe what history has provided people to look at.

and I don't need praise about anything... - that is nonsensical.

God should be praised, not me as a man... man you on some stuff.

Reactions: CadyandZoe

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why do alot of Christian denominations have a problem with looking into the Past for the return of Christ?​

because he hasn't returned!

Then the whole bible should be thrown out and tossed away. Can't trust Jesus to return, can't trust the Apostles to be honest about his return which is all seen through the letters. JEsus is a liar, and the Apostles are too. We have to trust men today, to show up signs of the times, in order to wait for JEsus to come get us, but if you are austrila and im in america, how are we gonna get to jeruslaem? I can't see the storm until gets passed a certain border of alabama, then it hits my county, then the rain pours. I Can't see Jeruslaem from here. Doesn't make any sense... it's just a hopeful expectation people have.... And that is fine if people wanna believe that, I am not knocking them at all, they can believe whatever they want, however the story seems very different than what people do suggest.

It's either accept or reject and that is okay with me.

I do believe that Jesus was coming and he did come to that generation who went through the great tribulation which was a one time event according to the written Gospels.

Here is also some information concerning the history

Preterist Archives – An Encyclopedia of Faith & Heritage
Glenn L Hill - Christianity's Great Dilemma

There is Suetonius, Josephus, Tacitus, Cassius Dio, \\

And I know people would desire some just bits and pieces and make it smoother to go down our throats but unfortunately that is not the case for me to do, the more easier it is for you, the more easier it is for you also to forget if anyone is not desirous to do their own study.

I bid you the best of luck, and hope for all the best for each and every member on this board here. @CadyandZoe So sorry for my red flags that make you wonder about the legimacy of a claim which says "I believe that Jesus christ came back as promised in that day" and I believe he wasn't joking around, here is you some objectivity to go through if you desire, if you dont desire then it's best you not engage me any further on this thread.

Cause I am not a debater, and I will let you believe what you want, and not need to win over you. I just present what is believed.

I do have Josephus book, and I have cassius dios book, I did have glenn hills book but alas people must consider information then choose for themselves.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then the whole bible should be thrown out and tossed away. Can't trust Jesus to return, can't trust the Apostles to be honest about his return which is all seen through the letters. JEsus is a liar, and the Apostles are too. We have to trust men today, to show up signs of the times, in order to wait for JEsus to come get us, but if you are austrila and im in america, how are we gonna get to jeruslaem? I can't see the storm until gets passed a certain border of alabama, then it hits my county, then the rain pours. I Can't see Jeruslaem from here. Doesn't make any sense... it's just a hopeful expectation people have.... And that is fine if people wanna believe that, I am not knocking them at all, they can believe whatever they want, however the story seems very different than what people do suggest.

It's either accept or reject and that is okay with me.

I do believe that Jesus was coming and he did come to that generation who went through the great tribulation which was a one time event according to the written Gospels.

And I know people would desire some just bits and pieces and make it smoother to go down our throats but unfortunately that is not the case for me to do, the more easier it is for you, the more easier it is for you also to forget if anyone is not desirous to do their own study.

I bid you the best of luck, and hope for all the best for each and every member on this board here. @CadyandZoe So sorry for my red flags that make you wonder about the legimacy of a claim which says "I believe that Jesus christ came back as promised in that day" and I believe he wasn't joking around, here is you some objectivity to go through if you desire, if you dont desire then it's best you not engage me any further on this thread.

Cause I am not a debater, and I will let you believe what you want, and not need to win over you. I just present what is believed.

I do have Josephus book, and I have cassius dios book, I did have glenn hills book but alas people must consider information then choose for themselves.

Just to be clear there is no history report ever say "We seen Jesus came!" - because of this, and because of all the history surrounding what was promised by Jesus, all those who were faithful and of the bride were taken, and there was no one left to record "We seen Jesus and he took us," and that is something I have to admittedly say - I believe they were taken and I believe it by faith, without any written record. That is my subjective take on why, we do not have that claim written anywhere. And aside from all that from Genesis to Revelation it is all about faith.

Do you trust God to provide and take care of you until you die? Are you faithful to trust him to provide the spiritual newness in your life by and through Christ?

Faith is important... it will always be important because God is pleased by faith.

That is why I stated " I believe by faith that Jesus Christ did come and take his bride in that day in age " Which is a subjective belief, looking at all the evidences that are provided.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hope the information given helps you and others out @CadyandZoe. That is all that is needed.

Just to be clear there is no history report ever say "We seen Jesus came!" - because of this, and because of all the history surrounding what was promised by Jesus, all those who were faithful and of the bride were taken, and there was no one left to record "We seen Jesus and he took us," and that is something I have to admittedly say - I believe they were taken and I believe it by faith, without any written record. That is my subjective take on why, we do not have that claim written anywhere. And aside from all that from Genesis to Revelation it is all about faith.

Do you trust God to provide and take care of you until you die? Are you faithful to trust him to provide the spiritual newness in your life by and through Christ?

Faith is important... it will always be important because God is pleased by faith.

That is why I stated " I believe by faith that Jesus Christ did come and take his bride in that day in age " Which is a subjective belief, looking at all the evidences that are provided.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@CadyandZoe Have you ever decided to look for yourself into history?
Yes, of course. But I am cognizant of the danger associated with "background material." What do I mean?

To arrive at the correct interpretation of a Bible passage, there are several factors to consider. Generally, when trying to understand any written passage, there are four questions we ask: 1) What does it say? 2) What does it mean? 3) How is it relevant? and 4) Is it true? However, in the case of interpreting the Bible, we do not ask "Is it true?" because we already believe that the Bible is true in all the knowledge it intends to convey.

Nevertheless, we are separated from the Biblical text by time, distance, culture, language, and religion. For this reason, the more we understand the original time, culture, language, and religion, the better we will understand what is written.

You were asking me about history, which seems to reveal that you are aware that our knowledge of history is an essential aspect of Bible study. And I agree with your assessment to a degree. But as Bible students, we must also remind ourselves that the Bible is a commentary on history, culture, and religion. We must allow the Bible to be critical of the weaknesses of these things and to inform the reader of things they might not understand.

Often, Bible commentators provide historical, cultural, and religious background information to help explain the meaning of a passage. However, it's important to keep in mind that commentators can sometimes make mistakes or draw incorrect conclusions from this background material. As users of commentary, we must always think critically and evaluate any explications of a Bible passage that are based on this background information. We should ask ourselves questions such as: Does the interpretation of a particular verse align with the rest of the passage? Does it square with other verses or even the worldview of the entire Bible? By doing so, we can gain a deeper and more accurate understanding of the passage.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@CadyandZoe, just because your highly intellegent doesn't mean you have the right to look down on me because I choose to believe what history has provided people to look at.

and I don't need praise about anything... - that is nonsensical.

God should be praised, not me as a man... man you on some stuff.
Well, if that is what you understood from what I wrote, then I miscommunicated. I'm sorry for that.

Could you please let me know why you're avoiding my question, which was not intended as a put-down or an insult?

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There is Suetonius, Josephus, Tacitus, Cassius Dio, also to look into as far as history goes, @CadyandZoe, but I donyt expect you to study or go look into them from the way that you have engaged me, no... not really.

Therefore you do not really desire to engage this topic as much as you seem to really want to; and that seems to me a personal problem, or a personal perference.
But you haven't yet identified my personal problem. What problem do you think I have?

Secondly, I never imagined that you studied history since you confessed that your views are "subjective" and "by faith." So, are you changing your mind? Did you base your conclusions on history?

I realize this line of questioning is a bit off topic, but is it really? If your conclusions were actually based on Roman historians, then why didn't you open with that? And what do Roman historians say, if anything, about the return of Jesus?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@CadyandZoe,

are we in a court room dude?

I respect you as a human being but why do you want to continue to keep questioning me? I am just gonna do a Jesus and be silent.

Thank you for all your prior questions as you got to the root of you were looking for, what is the point to keep going?

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@CadyandZoe,

are we in a court room dude?

I respect you as a human being but why do you want to continue to keep questioning me? I am just gonna do a Jesus and be silent.

Thank you for all your prior questions as you got to the root of you were looking for, what is the point to keep going?
As I said, or meant to say, I like you and I want you to succeed and prosper.

My line of questions is intended to help you sort through, what I see as a "glitch" in your belief system. I meant no harm or disrespect. I'll leave it there on the table should you desire to pick it up again.

Have a good Thanksgiving. :)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No doubt, hope you and your family have a good thanksgiving too, and thank you for presuming that I needed help, @CadyandZoe,

All praise to God for all the things that he has done for mankind.