Why Do People Care What Others Believe?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me getting worked up over what someone else believes or doesn't believe is the slippery,
wiley work of that 'devil between the ears'. Another way Uncle Screwtape works in Christian brains.

With the guise of self righteousness, he/it works insidiously in the folds of the brain to take the human heart
off the very Thing it was made for.

The subtle workings of looking to the left and to the right at others and whispering or
fingerpointing is the very work of 'whatever it is' that works diligently to make us eat that extra piece of
chocolate cake or take offense at others' words ---is it the devil or the lower ego self - it is certainly
the "thing" that makes us think we are separate from our Father God with paper chains.
It is the "thing" that keeps some from realizing they are joint heirs with Christ, inheritors of abundance and
such Joys.

I think I'm done.

:D Miss Hepburn

Reactions: gregg

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me getting worked up over what someone else believes or doesn't believe is the slippery,
wiley work of that 'devil between the ears'. Another way Uncle Screwtape works in Christian brains.

With the guise of self righteousness, he/it works insidiously in the folds of the brain to take the human heart

The subtle workings of looking to the left and to the right at others and whispering or
fingerpointing is the very work of 'whatever it is' that works diligently to make us eat that extra piece of
chocolate cake or take offense at others' words ---is it the devil or the lower ego self - it is certainly
the "thing" that makes us think we are separate from our Father God with paper chains.
It is the "thing" that keeps some from realizing they are joint heirs with Christ, inheritors of abundance and
such Joys.

I think I'm done.

I would agree that what another person thinks should make little or no difference to me in most cases. One expection swould be if the person came to me with questions about Jesus and God and the written scriptures. Knowing what is in that person's mind and heart would make a difference in how I would pursue his questions.

Jesus spoke to people always with knowledge. That is He knew what was in their minds or hearts. This is a discernment, that if we had it, even in a measure, would help us to know where a people are to hopefully know better how to properly address them about God's Way.

On the other hand, when we have no open door before us to deal with another person's beliefs, our concern should be to walk as Jesus walked and He certainly did not go around with the purposeful intent of finding the wrong in individuals and straightening them out. He may have desired that people would be concerned enough to ask for help, but when they did not, I believe simply that "Jesus wept"! He was not able to save everyone that He met.

Jesus simply taught the Truth, God's Truth. Naturally, teaching the Truth does stir some people up.

Some of them want to know more and to understand better what He means.

Others, take offense even at the Truth [whether they recognise it as such or not] because they somehow believe that a finger is pointed at them [even if it really isn't, at least not purposely.]

Still others simply cannot be bothered one way or the other. They are too busy with their own ways to give serious time or consideration to anything else, including God.

Then again I see yet another consideration with regard to those people who are NOT presenting us with an open door to share what we have from God with them. These people I still see as a place to focus our prayers:

"... The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." James 5:16

Prayer alone, will not save people, but it will, I believe, get God to work on those people to open their hearts hear what God has for them. The people affected by such prayers still have to make up their own minds, but they will be given an opportunity that they did not even recognise before. Of course, some of them may repent and follow Jesus.

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
I think people get addicted to the feeling of being right because it caters to our ego and pride...

I tend to agree Robbie.

Often forums become more of a gladiators ring of who has the longest ... oops .... I mean the biggest bible. :)

I have come to the point I could care less what pet doctrines others have , as long as they are Christians.

On the other hand , there are times when somebody pushes a wacky doctrine , it makes me re-study those topics again.

And afterwords , my study confirms that my position was correct all along.

...oops .... now my damn ... darn pride is popping up again :)

See you are right Robbie. :)

You nailed it.!!!!!

Love y'all
Martin.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Yeah... I was feeling convicted about that myself...

I was almost thinking that I'm addicted to feeling right... and why? The truth was I didn't figure anything out... like I deserve some credit... I just received freely what Christ has known from the beginning...

Then I was thinking about how Jesus told people to spread the gospel... He didn't tell people to argue with someone until they knew you were right... He just said to enter a house and share the truth and if someone received it good... and if they didn't shake the dust off your feet and be on your way...

Why do I feel the need to argue with people and for them to know I'm right? Because it feeds my ego... and that can almost be like a drug... it's addicting... so that's something I'm personally working on changing about myself... knowing that Christ is the truth and He's already right and I just need to share Him and if people receive Him good... and if not move on... anything beyond that is me wanting to satisfy my addiction for self RIGHTeousness...

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006

such Joys.

I think I'm done.

So, mh, if a child is about to walk out onto a busy street you wouldn't warn them? How about if a brother is getting onto the "wide road, would you not warn them?"

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, mh, if a child is about to walk out onto a busy street you wouldn't warn them? How about if a brother is getting onto the "wide road, would you not warn them?"

To me,
This is the only reason I pick up a sword and begin to attack. It isn't for me. I ain't going no where.
I don't care the least about Calvinism vx Armenianism. I think both sides are wrong.

But when I see an Atheist begin his/her subtleties of introducing their dogma to a new, junior Christian...I get angry as if they were offering my own son some kind of poison like narcotics or meth.

And or if I see a Pharisee introducing a young, new Christian to all of these moralities that they wish to impose on them...again I see it as offering my child some drugs for recreational use.

So...I guess at certain times I care and can be extremely ruthless and brutal with my words. Mostly I don't care what the arguers and quarrelers fuss over...they really don't matter in the grand scheme of things. (there won't be any arguing in heaven...I wonder what they will fill their time with...if they even make it)

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
Robbie

I think it is hard to know when we cross the line. Or maybe we never actually cross the line. There are times I am extremely happy , and quite boastful , because I am a Christian. I am proud to be a Christian. I am right to be a Christian.

Being a Christian is good for my ego and my pride. I wouldn't want it any other way. I am not ashamed to be a christian.

Paul the Apostle was proud and boastful to be in Christ Jesus. He was quick and abrupt when correcting errors. He was not humble when it came to the gospel.

I think most Christians have the best intentions , but we get caught wanting everybody a certain way. We are individuals , and the Lord has designed Christianity to accommodate us all. Now if we could only accommodate one another then hey .... we would really have something :)

ps: love your latest pictures on your other thread. You capture the beauty of creation is a unique manner. Wow.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ego is the false self - Paul called it the Old Man - we need to overthrow it and begin living from our True self.

All boasting and pride belongs to the false self. The true self knows that we have nothing to brag about because everything comes from God's grace

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
And afterwords , my study confirms that my position was correct all along.
:D

This is the only reason I pick up a sword and begin to attack. It isn't for me. I ain't going no where.
I don't care the least about Calvinism vx Armenianism. I think both sides are wrong.

Not to minimize the Bible though, doctrine is good and Paul strongly advocates for it.

The two biggest errors in theology:
a) theology is everything
B) theology doesn't matter

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And if someone were a contrarian and wanted to start something for the sake of
starting something, would you even bother to take part?
:p