Why do People Pray for the Dead?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is as true as the Gospel itself. Please take note of the CURRENT occupants of the New Jerusalem which is in Heaven (Heb 12:22-24):

But ye are come [spiritually in the present tense] unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and

[1] to an innumerable company of angels

[2] To the general assembly and Church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven [NT saints who have passed on]

[3] and to God the Judge of all,

[4] and to the spirits of just men made perfect, [OT saints who had passed on]

[5] And to Jesus the Mediator of the New Covenant,

[6] and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Please note items 2 and 4. All the NT and OT saints who have passed on are now in Heaven with God, Christ, all the angels, as well as the blood of Christ sprinkled on the Mercy Seat. Why? Because OUR CITIZENSHIP IS IN HEAVEN.
I think you have it mixed up Enoch

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That only applies to door nails.
Then all the dead are door nails. Only the elect are going to heaven, and the Bible says that they had to wait until Christ returned....
So where did they "sleep" whilst they were waiting? Don't tell me, let me guess....in "Abraham's bosom" right?
His bosom must be huge....
unsure

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think you have it mixed up Enoch
Oh, so now that you have actual Scripture facing you, you REFUSE to pay attention to what it says, and say I am mixed up! That does not bode well at all. All Scripture is given for (1) doctrine, for (2) reproof, for (3) correction, and for (4) instruction in righteousness. You were to be corrected by Scripture and you blew it.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Aunty Jane, you are totally clueless about these matters. But neither are you willing to learn.
Clueless? Me? I'm not the one cherry picking scripture to base my faith on.....

There is no immortal soul....show me where the Bible says those words side by side in any verse of any book.

A "soul" in the Bible is a living, breathing creature....."souls" die when they stop breathing. Those are the facts of scripture.

Adam was a soul whist be lived and breathed....so what did God tell him about death......
Genesis 3:19...
"By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread
until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken;
you are dust, and to dust you shall return.”
(NRSV)

There was never such a thing as an immortal soul.....the Jews had no belief in it, so Jesus never taught it....so neither did the early Christians.....the apostate church borrowed the notion from the Platonic Greeks....look it up.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Oh, so now that you have actual Scripture facing you, you REFUSE to pay attention to what it says, and say I am mixed up! That does not bode well at all. All Scripture is given for (1) doctrine, for (2) reproof, for (3) correction, and for (4) instruction in righteousness. You were to be corrected by Scripture and you blew it.
yeah yeah....in spite of all your yada yada on this, it doesn't make it correct....and if I did post scriptures you would dismiss them anyway.