1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why do we need priests?

Discussion in 'The Church Forum' started by Pearl, Aug 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    BTW-I am speaking of the intercessor of us between God and His people...do NOT need a human being...please. And for the record, I do not care about the "index" of my bibles, I only read scripture which is GOD BREATHED, it is a LIVING word, not a dead one that we must need a human being to burden us with what Jesus already freed us from. You can put ALL your faith in a bunch of men, I choose the real thing, the Holy Spirit. Don't bother starting on all of the splintered groups out there, God knows who is truly His and, many will be chosen from ALL denominations. The CC is NOT my judge, maybe yours but most definitely NOT mine.

GodsGrace and amadeus like this.
  2. Pearl

Pearl Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    Well said Nancy.

Nancy likes this.
  3. Philip James

Philip James Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    Hi Nancy,

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.

And so I abide. Not through any life of my own, but rather through HIS life in me.

You too are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

Christ is risen!
    Alleluia!

CovenantPromise likes this.
  4. Giuliano

Giuliano Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I'm confused.

CovenantPromise and Philip James like this.
  5. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    "I'm confused."
    Why??

6. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    What I mean by "intercessory" is, prayers for other people...not my self although...Jesus IS my intercessor to God The Father for my needs.

Pearl likes this.
  7. Giuliano

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Other people need you to pray for them? Jesus isn't their intercessor? I am still confused.

8. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I pray daily for specific people and those in general. Do you not? I pray for and thank God daily for my provisions. He is my provider and the lover of my soul.
    And, yes of course Jesus is our personal intercessor. Our WAY to God The Father and free to ask of Him anything at all, hopefully we end that prayer, "your will be done..."

amadeus and Pearl like this.
  9. Giuliano

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Here's what I'm not understanding. You seem to be saying you don't need people praying for you but then are praying for other people. Why can't they pray for themselves if people don't need intercessors?

10. marksman

marksman My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her

Faith:
    Christian
    Australia
    After

11. aspen

aspen “"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Hmm
    Or, perhaps you are patch-working a bunch of quotes, without context, from Catholic sources? Any decent lawyer can build a case around his own theory; even scientists run into this problem and the unethical ones invent evidence to support their theory - see

Red wine researcher Dr. Dipak K. Das published fake data: UConn

Something tells me you really need to believe Catholics are pretending to murder Jesus on the altar every Mass. Despite the fact that not one priest out there, believes this to be true. Even ignorant Catholics know this is false.

I am going to agree with PJ,
    Your mind appears to be closed and settled
    On your murderous theory

If you are really interested in learning the Catholic response to your theory, see:

Is the Mass a Sacrifice?

Something tells me you will not

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    amadeus likes this.
  12. Giuliano

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    They are connected, of course.

The role of the Levitical priesthood was to take over the role of priests that the firstborn males had held that authority but failed to use it properly.

Numbers 3:12 And I, behold, I have taken the Levites from among the children of Israel instead of all the firstborn that openeth the matrix among the children of Israel: therefore the Levites shall be mine;
    13 Because all the firstborn are mine; for on the day that I smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt I hallowed unto me all the firstborn in Israel, both man and beast: mine shall they be: I am the Lord.

The firstborn males are the priests that are talked about at Mount Sinai before there were Levitical ones.

Exodus 19:21 And the Lord said unto Moses, Go down, charge the people, lest they break through unto the Lord to gaze, and many of them perish.
    22 And let the priests also, which come near to the Lord, sanctify themselves, lest the Lord break forth upon them.

After the firstborn males failed in their capacity of being priests, animal sacrifices were ordered too. If they hadn't failed, there would have been no need of animal sacrifices; but after they fell, the tribe of Levi acted as intercessors for them and their families and offered animal sacrifices.

All Israel was meant to act as a nation of priests to intercede for the nations; but when 11 tribes failed, Levi which did not fail took over.

I take from that that while men ought to be the spiritual heads of their households, sometimes they can lack the ability or authority.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    amadeus likes this.
  13. brakelite

brakelite Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Australia
    I tried to access that link, but a drop down box advertising further material kept interrupting and I couldn't get past it.

14. Enoch111

Enoch111 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    Why are you making such ridiculous statements after having Catholic errors exposed? There is no *patchwork* and everything was in context perfectly. But you are simply resisting the truth (typical of Catholics).

One of the functions of the Roman Catholic priest is to re-sacrifice Christ on an altar at the Mass.

NEW ADVENT CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA
    The nature of this service depends especially on the nature of the benefice, office, or function assigned to the priest; the Council in particular desires (cap. xiv) priests to celebrate Mass at least on Sundays and holydays, while those who are charged with the care of souls are to celebrate as often as their office demands... If it is true that "the reception of the idea of sacrifice led to the idea of the ecclesiastical priesthood" (loc. cit., p. 48), and that priesthood and sacrifice are reciprocal terms, then the proof of the Divine origin of the Catholic priesthood must be regarded as established, once it is shown that the Eucharistic Sacrifice of the Mass is coeval with the beginnings and the essence of Christianity.

But since all Christians are part of a Royal Priesthood, this is once again a violation of Scripture (quoting from the above source which seeks to refute the Protestant position):

[According to the Protestant view]...If all Christians without exception are priests in virtue of their baptism, an official priesthood obtained by special ordination is just as inadmissible as the Catholic Sacrifice of the Mass.

brakelite likes this.
  15. Pearl

Pearl Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    As do all of us who are born again. Amen.

16. Giuliano

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I had to scroll down and down and down. I hate it when that happens. I refuse to buy anything from an advertiser who thinks he has to annoy me to get my attention.

brakelite likes this.
  17. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Not sure where you got "You seem to be saying you don't need people praying for you..." I never would say or infer that! If someone were to offer to pray for me, I can't thank them enough! The only intercessor we need is Jesus, He opened the way directly to the Throne of God when He died so, He IS the only way to God. The Spirit prays for us when we have no words. We pray for one another, we pray for those we do not know, we pray for our enemies, for our daily bread. Maybe I should have said that Jesus is our "mediator" instead?
    Praying intercessory prayers is simply praying on someone else's behalf, for that person. Every person on Earth, who prays to The Father, cannot unless they have Jesus as the WAY. I'm sorry I'm so confusing...the brain does not always work so well at the end of a busy day.
    Feel free to pray for me, anytime! :)

18. Giuliano

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Thanks for clearing that up. I think praying for one another is wonderful since it promotes love and harmony among the members of the Body of Christ. What do you make of:

James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

19. marksman

marksman My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her

Faith:
    Christian
    Australia
    I am not sure what you are getting at.

20. Giuliano

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    We see that the ideal situation would be if a man acted as priest or spiritual leader for his family. I think that was true then and is true now. We see that most men back then were unable to perform that role, so a new kind of priesthood was given; and then the question is how many men today are qualified to act as priests for their families. For example, what does a believing wife do if she has a nonbelieving husband? Who is going to act as her spiritual covering?