Why do we use the screen names that we do?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I saw where @marks asked this question on a recent thread and I thought it might be interesting for anyone who is willing to share their reasons or the origin of their name.

My own, Amadeus, is very Catholic in origin. I was attending the Catholic Church faithfully in those days and being of the age to be confirmed in the 1950's I needed to be given a new name. One of our 4 resident Franciscan nuns who was helping us get ready for confirmation had a book of suggested names with the meanings of each name. "Amadeus" was in that book and the meaning is: Latin for 'love God'. I chose the name and it was given to me at my confirmation. I began using it as screen name when I first started visiting Christian Internet Forums a bit more than 20 years ago.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I saw where @marks asked this question on a recent thread and I thought it might be interesting for anyone who is willing to share their reasons or the origin of their name.

My own, Amadeus, is very Catholic in origin. I was attending the Catholic Church faithfully in those days and being of the age to be confirmed in the 1950's I needed to be given a new name. One of our 4 resident Franciscan nuns who was helping us get ready for confirmation had a book of suggested names with the meanings of each name. "Amadeus" was in that book and the meaning is: Latin for 'love God'. I chose the name and it was given to me at my confirmation. I began using it as screen name when I first started visiting Christian Internet Forums a bit more than 20 years ago.
Good topic! I have often wondered about this. I chose the name Prayer Warrior because the Holy Spirit has led me to pray for others a lot. I see great value in intercessory prayer, and it’s one thing we can do for others no matter where we are or what’s going on....

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Back when Internet forums took a while to load, and I was too young to join any. :D

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Back when Internet forums took a while to load, and I was too young to join any. :D
I have belonged to many Christian forums over the years. My very first forum was one of the subcategories of Yahoo Groups. The format was poor and eventually as more and better places became available it fizzled... Technically I guess I still belong to it although I would have to search to find it... I have never quit a forum so I am a member of many of them, but only regularly visit a couple of them including this one.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Traffic can be hell. Distractions, speeding, intolerance, abuse, rudeness…and much more can make traveling from one place to another a nightmare. It can be frustrating, dangerous, confusing, fraught with near misses and worse, at times one can get lost, even never reaching the intended destination.

Which brings me to the ‘brakelite’. A bright warning light on the rear of the vehicles ahead that scream ‘hold-up’, ‘slow down’, or even ‘STOP’, but always when displayed it gives the following driver pause, and awakens one senses to seriously consider the way ahead. To evaluate the options, and choose wisely, hopefully, a safe line of travel, even if necessary in certain circumstances like a ‘detour’, turning around and going another way,.

‘Brakelite’ is the pseudonym I write under. For precisely the same reasons as described above. My hope is that as one reads my articles they will pause, consider their options, and choose wisely their way ahead. My hope and prayer is that all who read will safely arrive one day at the New Jerusalem, where we may meet by the grace of God and never more to worry over traffic jams.
That light doesn't give anyone to react in any particular way... It's just to make people think.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good topic! I have often wondered about this. I chose the name Prayer Warrior because the Holy Spirit has led me to pray for others a lot. I see great value in intercessory prayer, and it’s one thing we can do for others no matter where we are or what’s going on....
On one of my earlier forums, I was designated a "prayer warrior" for the forum. That's been a very long time ago now. That forum still exists and I am still a member, but it has dropped off to nearly nothing in activity so I seldom even visit... I try to stay on top of the prayer request sub forum here, but not many of the many member here post requests with any regularity. I continue to pray for the forum and the individual members anyway.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have belonged to many Christian forums over the years. My very first forum was one of the subcategories of Yahoo Groups. The format was poor and eventually as more and better places became available it fizzled... Technically I guess I still belong to it although I would have to search to find it... I have never quit a forum so I am a member of many of them, but only regularly visit a couple of them including this one.
I belonged to one forum many years ago that had a very good spread of members much like this one from all over the world. I lived at the time in a small town in rural New Zealand. The forum though well run and interesting, was wound up because the owner and sole moderator had other plans for his ministry. Before it wound up I discovered he lived in the same town as I. Visited with him a couple of times... Retired pastor and author. Interesting guy.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Traffic can be hell. Distractions, speeding, intolerance, abuse, rudeness…and much more can make traveling from one place to another a nightmare. It can be frustrating, dangerous, confusing, fraught with near misses and worse, at times one can get lost, even never reaching the intended destination.

Which brings me to the ‘brakelite’. A bright warning light on the rear of the vehicles ahead that scream ‘hold-up’, ‘slow down’, or even ‘STOP’, but always when displayed it gives the following driver pause, and awakens one senses to seriously consider the way ahead. To evaluate the options, and choose wisely, hopefully, a safe line of travel, even if necessary in certain circumstances like a ‘detour’, turning around and going another way,.

‘Brakelite’ is the pseudonym I write under. For precisely the same reasons as described above. My hope is that as one reads my articles they will pause, consider their options, and choose wisely their way ahead. My hope and prayer is that all who read will safely arrive one day at the New Jerusalem, where we may meet by the grace of God and never more to worry over traffic jams.
That light doesn't give anyone to react in any particular way... It's just to make people think.
Good choice for good reasons. Some of your posts have certainly given me reason to pause and make choices, hopefully wise ones.

Reactions: Helen and Brakelite

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I belonged to one forum many years ago that had a very good spread of members much like this one from all over the world. I lived at the time in a small town in rural New Zealand. The forum though well run and interesting, was wound up because the owner and sole moderator had other plans for his ministry. Before it wound up I discovered he lived in the same town as I. Visited with him a couple of times... Retired pastor and author. Interesting guy.
As indicated I have belonged to many forums and still do although I visit only two regularly now. Late in my discussions on forums I realized that I was sometimes losing friends because I failed to make any connection with them other than via the forum where we met. When the forum closes or the person leaves or is booted, the connection may then be gone along with the friendship. I started collecting names then on my computer offline so as to help me possibly reconnect in case of interruption. For you I have the location of your website which I have not visited recently. I'll have to get back there soon...

I have met face to face with only one person that I initially met on a forum. That connection was made because of our two dogs. But that is a story in itself. They have been living with her and her husband 2 states away for the past 8 years and are still alive and well. We miss them still but we know they are in a good home. I don't talk to her much anymore, but she and my wife have become the best of friends and text each other regularly so I often receive updates on her and on our dogs since she no longer belongs to any forums. Her husband has become a complete invalid which makes much online time very difficult for her.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's my first name (actually, "William") and middle initial.
That makes it easy for you to remember, doesn't it. In the beginning of my forum journeys I did use a couple of other names, but found myself getting confused. Now with some of the people that I know on this forum that I also knew on other forums I have trouble keeping track of who is who because they have changed their forum names. When I was younger it was not a problem. Now, it is a problem. In life off the form I depend on my wife to remember new names for me. Online my wife doesn't participate in forums so she is no help.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To too am a member on many forums...half of them I can't remember...many have 'died'.

I believe that I have always used "Helen" because that is my name! :D
On a few of them, this one included, I used a screen name 'ByGrace' only because at that time no one seemed to use their own names..and if I used Helen I would be the odd man out. After a while...when a few on here like Nancy Scott Willie etc used their own names I asked Iforrest to change my name from 'ByGrace' to my own name.

My very first forum was UKCW ( UK christian Web) I believe it was the late '90's ....I forget. It was a great forum run by a guy named Trevor...I hated it when he got too busy after he married to keep it, and he let it go. On there I met many that I still know today...
You were on there too weren't you @amadeus ? @Mike Waters ,
was, and @Giuliano ...

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
THE STORY BEHIND MY AVATAR
“You will no longer be just a grain of sand." These words were part of a personal prophecy in the form of a song which came to me the first time I ever sang in tongues. After I had sung it in tongues a number of times I sang it in English and then wrote it down. One line said, “You will no longer be just a grain of sand”, and others said, “You will no longer be just a lump of clay” and “You will no longer be an unfruitful tree.

At the time I knew nothing of ‘sand’, ‘clay’ or ‘fruitful trees’ but these words have been fermenting in my heart, soul and spirit right from the very beginning. Meditating on them and singing them to myself has always been a way of connecting with God and speaking his plan for me into my life.

A few month’s ago as I sat quietly with the Lord at the start of a new day, just being at peace and drinking my tea his whisper spoke into my spirit saying, ‘I have turned you into a pearl.’

Now it took me a couple of minutes to understand the significance of this but when I did my spirit soared within me as I realised he was telling me that the first part of that personal prophecy had been fulfilled in me.

Since then I have been meditating about how pearls get to be pearls and God has shown me that the grain of sand which gets into an oyster can’t make itself beautiful. The sand has no inherent beauty of its own. It is the oyster that does all the work;, wrapping layer upon layer of beauty round the grit, covering it with its own natural covering so that it glows and gleams and shines not with it’s own beauty but that of the oyster.

So it is with us who are in Christ. We start off as bits of grit, worthless of ourselves but once in him we begin the transformation as he covers us with layer upon layer of his own beauty, turning us into pearls. Wherever we are and whatever we are doing and whoever we are with this beauty should be obvious. We should gleam and glow and shine with the beauty of Jesus.

We can take no credit for the work has been all his. It is his own beauty that he has wrapped around us so that we are made more and more into his likeness.

The avatar which a people have commented on is of a pearl inside a rose. Now I might be a pearl in God’s eyes but I do still have a few ‘thorns’.

On other forums I've also been 'Poppy' but that's another story.