Why I read/study God's Word: The Authorized Version

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Non sequitur.
Try reading what he wrote and responding to what he actually said.

You have the explaining to do and your "cut and paste" rhetoric is not getting the job done.
  1. Where has anybody but YOU stated "Christ is a sinner"?
  2. Where does God state in Scripture that Mary was SINLESS?
  3. The Parable of the Tree and its Fruit has NOTHING to do with Mary, so try focusing on what the Bible is ACTUALLY SAYING rather than what you wish it was talking about (it is an important lesson, just not a lesson about Mary).

Note: this is not a reply to the previous post that I wrote, number 119. I assume it's in response to #114. Correct?

Reactions: atpollard

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is it that misinformed people think that early 17th Century Englyshe has anything in common with the three languages of the earliest texts: ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek? They were all the common languages of the time; there was nothing "lofty" about them, so the KJV is a very poor reflection of those languages.

KJV readers like to think that the "holiness rush" that they feel when they read their favorite translation is Godly, but it ain't.
Meh ... there are easier to understand versions (and more accurate versions), but the KJV is above average when it comes to being read out loud. That was an important goal of THOSE translators that many modern translators place less importance on (because Bibles are less often read aloud from the Lectern of a State Church). It also distinguishes between all of the versions of "you" (singular/plural/second person/third person) than modern English.

Criticism and credit ... both where they are due.

JesusFan1

Jun 19, 2020
Macomb Mi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have the same HOLY SPIRIT - Yesterday, Today and Forever - to protect the GOSPEL and lead God's Children into God's Truth. Even the worst translations still contain enough TRUTH for the Holy Spirit to do his work and lead men to Christ. Among the common translations, there are no bad ones. Just less literal ones.
The best ones are the more formal ones, such as the Nas/esv/Nkjv/Kjv!

JesusFan1

Jun 19, 2020
Macomb Mi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Precious friend, so the original languages/manuscripts Only, are Inspired Correct?
Does that mean then that those original copies are THE ONLY ONES that can
be trusted, and Obeyed? If so, where do we find them, since they are long gone?

That would then mean This Is not true, Correct?:

"ALL Scripture is given by Inspiration of God, and is Profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. (2Ti_3:16-17)

IF God did not PRESERVE "HIS Inspired Scriptures" FOR me, in my own
[English] language, (and ALL foreigners, in THEIR OWN languages), then:

we DO NOT have "What Is Profitable," for our salvation and good works,
Correct?

What are we supposed to do now???

GRACE And Peace...
ALL of the promises of God concerning HIS words to us were speaking to the Originals themselves, and not to any translation!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The best ones are the more formal ones, such as the Nas/esv/Nkjv/Kjv!

That is just your opinion. IMHO the best ones are the ones that are most clearly understood. A prime example: "God is not the author of confusion" (KJV) or "for God is not characterized by disorder but by peace" (NET) Some might interpret this incorrectly if they are confused.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
She declared herself to have been a sinner, and there was NO need for Mary to be sinless, due to the Virgin Birth, which allowed jesus to bypass the Fall!

where does she declare herself a sinner?

and you accused Christ of being a sinner

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The true Church of Christ is NOT Rome!

the church must be catholic

Major covenants!

God initiated each covenant and the mediator always remains on earth mediating the covenant except for Christ who made Peter His personal representative and vicar! (Matt 16:18)

Adam
(Marriage covenant)

Noah
(Family covenant)

Abraham
(Tribal covenant)

Moses:
(National covenant)

Jesus Christ:
(Universal covenant)

New and eternal covenant founded by Jesus Christ! Matt 16:18

Universal (Catholic)
World universal

Lk 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. ( catholic universal) All men!

Lk 2:31 prepared before the face of all (catholic) people. All men!

Jn 1:29 lamb of God who takes way the sins of the world. All men!

Jn 3:16 for God so loved the world

1 Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. All men!

Lk 2: 10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. All men!

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. (All people universal) All men!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Non sequitur.
Try reading what he wrote and responding to what he actually said.

You have the explaining to do and your "cut and paste" rhetoric is not getting the job done.
  1. Where has anybody but YOU stated "Christ is a sinner"?
  2. Where does God state in Scripture that Mary was SINLESS?
  3. The Parable of the Tree and its Fruit has NOTHING to do with Mary, so try focusing on what the Bible is ACTUALLY SAYING rather than what you wish it was talking about (it is an important lesson, just not a lesson about Mary).

I have extensive notes
Is cutting and pasting a sin?

he said Mary was a sinner
That is the same as saying Christ is a sinner

sinless gen 3:15 enmity total war none of his works are found in her
Lk 1:28 full of grace
Rev 12:1 clothed with the sun immaculate purity

biblical principle

if Christ is our salvation Lk 2:30 and good fruit of salvation Mary must be holy pure and immaculate
An evil (sinner) tree produces an evil fruit
A good tree (Mary) produced good fruit (Jesus) and our salvation
Mother of our salvation

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no post #104.
If there is a post #119, then there must be a post #104. ;)

Here is post #104 on my screen:

you got heap much explanation to do here!

Christ is a sinner?

A good tree!

Matthew 7:18
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

The fruit of the tree of Mary is our salvation! Matt 1:21 Lk 2:30 Jesus is our salvation! This reflects the immaculate conception of Mary and the miraculous conception of Jesus!
Lk 1:30 Mary found our salvation!
Lk 1:38 consented to our salvation!

A good tree (immaculate conception) Lk 1:49 God has done this and it is marvelous in our eyes!

Isa 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Matt 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

A sinner would be an evil tree with evil fruit, but the fruit of Mary is salvation!

Mary brings in the good fruits of our redemption and salvation!

Only a queen can bear a king!

and here is post #92:

She was sinner, same way as my Mother was, and rejoiced in Jesus her savior!

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is impossible to have a so-called "word-for-word" translation. There are many differences between the source languages and the destination language. Vocabulary, word tenses, idioms, figures of speech can be quite different between the two. Of course, this isn't addressing the problem of living approximately 2,000 years later in a culture that is extremely different than the way almost all of us live, leading to misunderstandings.

Also, the culture of early 17th Century England is very different than the one we live in today, as is the English language. The KJV was created to be understood by people living four centuries ago, but that language is now "dead', i.e., easily misunderstood (sometimes intentionally).

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fine. I'm glad that you prefer the KJV. But to claim that all other Bible translations are weak is ridiculous. It's just your opinion that "nothing in our time compares to the King James Bible". If there is a factual basis for saying this, prove it.

How many other translations are over 400 years old and widely beloved and read frequently?

The KJV.

There are many articles online that attest to this fact. Look them up.

Case closed.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 1:28
King James Version

28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.

Luke 1:28
Wycliffe Bible

28 And the angel entered to her, and said, Hail, full of grace; the Lord is with thee; blessed bethou among women.

Are you really splitting hairs over “highly favored” vs “full of grace”???

The definition is “Grace”:

“The exercise of love, kindness, mercy, favor

Much ado about nothing.

“ado” has been cited by KJV critics (Mark 5:39) as archaic, but I bet you get what I’m saying here…