Why I read/study God's Word: The Authorized Version

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many other translations are over 400 years old and widely beloved and read frequently?

The KJV.

There are many articles online that attest to this fact. Look them up.

Case closed.
Ummm … by your argument, the Latin Vulgate is even better: older (c. AD 300’s) , used longer (1700 years), read and used frequently by Bible Scholars of every denomination.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ummm … by your argument, the Latin Vulgate is even better: older (c. AD 300’s) , used longer (1700 years), read and used frequently by Bible Scholars of every denomination.

The Latin Vulgate is no longer in common use.

The KJV is still in common use and is read by many today.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And here’s a fascinating quote I found:
  • 82%. That’s the percentage of people who regularly read the Bible who will reach for a King James Version before any other.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many other translations are over 400 years old and widely beloved and read frequently?

The KJV.

Case closed.

The age of any translation is irrelevant. It's also irrelevant how many people read it. The most important factor is the accuracy of a translation, period. That is why modern translations are much better than the KJV.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And here’s a fascinating quote I found:
  • 82%. That’s the percentage of people who regularly read the Bible who will reach for a King James Version before any other.

Where did you find this statistic? The most popular translation is the NIV.

Reactions: atpollard

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.” (Luke 1:28)

How so?

And what is your reason for questioning the KJV translation of the quoted verse?

Let me guess, it’s based on the study “helps” which are mostly from the pro Alexandrian text persuasion.

Liberal theologians will not stop ruining faith in God’s word and continue to slander the most beautiful, God honoring, translation of our time; the Authorized (King James) Version.

Your opinion only. If you want to use a 411-year-old translation that was written in a now-dead, ambiguous language, go ahead, but stop preaching to others about it. People like yourself will never stop ruining faith in God’s word and continue to slander others who use better translations.

BTW, how is your unicorn? "Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?" Job 39:9

And forsooth, why writest thou not in a modern tongue?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The KJV.

Case closed.

Case closed? Because you say it is? You're joking.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you really splitting hairs over “highly favored” vs “full of grace”???

The definition is “Grace”:

“The exercise of love, kindness, mercy, favor

Much ado about nothing.

“ado” has been cited by KJV critics (Mark 5:39) as archaic, but I bet you get what I’m saying here…

Why are you quoting Shakespeare?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you read the entire Bible lately?

As a matter of fact I have. I read God's Word for about an hour every day and have read the entire Bible completely many times. I'm not sure why you're bringing that up. Have you read the entire Bible lately?

Incidentally, I read several different translations to understand God's word more completely than if I slavishy stick with a single translation that is hundreds of years old, written in a now-dead language.

How's your unicorn doing? "Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?" Job 39:9 KJV

P.S. You wrote "case closed" so why are you still posting?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mad because I cherish my translation?

Why?

Your translation(s) aren’t special to you?

I wonder why?

I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't care of you cherish your translation, but I do care that you claim that your preferred translation is better than others. Again, if you want to use a 411-year-old translation that was written in a now-dead, ambiguous language, go ahead, but stop preaching to others about it. People like yourself will never stop ruining faith in God’s word and continue to slander others who use other translations.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KJV readers like to think that the "holiness rush" that they feel when they read their favorite translation is Godly, but it ain't.
Wow, Really? KJV readers/students humbly loving God, And striving, By
HIS GRACE,
to learn and live "By HIS Every Word, As He SAID, Is:

an [slander?] UNgodly "holiness rush"??? I hardly DON'T think so...

GRACE And Peace...

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, Really? KJV readers/students humbly loving God, And striving, By
HIS GRACE,
to learn and live "By HIS Every Word, As He SAID, Is:

an [slander?] UNgodly "holiness rush"??? I hardly DON'T think so...

GRACE And Peace...

People who use translations other than the KJV never claim that their preferred version is the only valid Word of God. Have you ever heard NIVOs or ASVOs or NRSVOs say that other translations aren't valid? I haven't; only KJVOs make that claim.

If the reason isn't a holiness rush, what is the reason they claim that other Bibles aren't accurate?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, if you want to use a 411-year-old translation that was written in a now-dead, ambiguous language

This statement reeks of ignorance.

The English of the KJV is beautiful. This makes the arduous task of reading the holy scriptures a joy. English was at its best state then; now it’s degraded into the gutter of perverseness.

I’d rather be confident in a translation and declare confidently “thus saith the Lord” rather than “this translation says this, and that translation says that”; which pretty much sums up “Bible preaching” today.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This statement reeks of ignorance.

The English of the KJV is beautiful. This makes the arduous task of reading the holy scriptures a joy. English was at its best state then; now it’s degraded into the gutter of perverseness.

I’d rather be confident in a translation and declare confidently “thus saith the Lord” rather than “this translation says this, and that translation says that”; which pretty much sums up “Bible preaching” today.

Okay, I've had enough. You write "English was at its best state then; now it’s degraded into the gutter of perverseness" yet that is the very language that you use in your posts. Ergo, you use language that is abhorrent to you. Frankly, you're being irrational.

Mugre Pinzon

Oct 4, 2019
Fairbanks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was convicted while reading from the Living Bible. I would never call that Bible an exceptional one... but God used it in my case. The KJV argument is kind of silly... I don't understand folks who think it's the cat's meow.

Reactions: Jim B

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was convicted while reading from the Living Bible. I would never call that Bible an exceptional one... but God used it in my case. The KJV argument is kind of silly... I don't understand folks who think it's the cat's meow.
Precious friend, thanks for your Valuable input.

GRACE And Peace...

Reactions: Mugre Pinzon

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Living Bible was the first version that I read seriously. I too would never call that Bible an exceptional one... but God used it in my case also. I have also read The Message, which is similar. I agree with you about the KJV. It's just one of many translations; it's not the word of God.

Reactions: Mugre Pinzon