Why is God So Mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
You believing something does not make it right. The Lord makes it right.

What you are saying basically means that if you believe YOUR interpretation of the Bible to be what God means and says, then it is. Which is to lean on your understanding.

The Lord opens the understanding, whether it be about his word or about a vision someone had. He gives life.

2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

One's interpretation must line up with ALL Scripture, or it is wrong. Doesn't matter whether you believe it to be right. Unless of course you believe that only SOME of the Scripture is actually God-inspired. Then we have chaos.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
In earthen vessels.

Jesus said 'if you do not eat my flesh and my blood, you can have no part with me'. It is Christ in us, the hope of glory. It is there, in Christ,
So you just write your own covenant as you go. How convenient. Won't work though. God will hold all of us accountable by what is written in the NT.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

One's interpretation must line up with ALL Scripture, or it is wrong. Doesn't matter whether you believe it to be right. Unless of course you believe that only SOME of the Scripture is actually God-inspired. Then we have chaos.

I agree.

Only I think it would be wise not to trust ourselves to interpret all of it right, and rather to let the Spirit teach us. His teachings will be confirmed if they are indeed his, and we will have eyes to see.

So you just write your own covenant as you go. How convenient. Won't work though. God will hold all of us accountable by what is written in the NT.

No. You enter the covenant that he established when you follow him and let him transform you into his likeness.
Remember what he says, 'As many as are led by the Spirit, these are the sons of God.'

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
Scripture is ONLY proof of right as long as the person believes it to be infallible and inspired by God. Otherwise it is spineless. If one believes the Scripture to be of God and infallible, what is stated as sin is sin, and what is stated as right is right, and so forth. It is proof of right because it contains what God thinks about something. Who says something is right or wrong? If we leave it up to the person, we have many different ideas. God is the one who says right or wrong, and he has it in the Bible. Therefore, the Scripture is proof of right. It contains what we can and can't, and it is ink, available to all, whereas the previous examples of visions are not available to all. Only some people get them.
When Satan tempted Jesus, he used Scripture, but note this, SOME Scripture and out-of-context. How did Jesus reply? 'Oh, I know that isn't right because I have God's spirit inside me directing me."? NO! He used Scripture! Scripture is a double-edged sword. It is a fearsome weapon when used effectively, but when used by someone who does not understand it, it is double-edged in a sense that it comes back at the one who used it.

I don't know whether this is the best way to explain it. I'm not the best at explaining. Probably has something to do with my lack of experience. :)

You did very well. It makes sense. Believe it or not, I hadn't really thought about the fact that Jesus quoted Scripture to repel Satan.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
No. You enter the covenant that he established when you follow him and let him transform you into his likeness.
Same thing. You just make it up as you go to suit yourself.
Remember what he says, 'As many as are led by the Spirit, these are the sons of God.'
And you quote Scripture when convenient also. Please tell us which parts of the NT are God's Word.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
Scripture is ONLY proof of right as long as the person believes it to be infallible and inspired by God. Otherwise it is spineless. If one believes the Scripture to be of God and infallible, what is stated as sin is sin, and what is stated as right is right, and so forth. It is proof of right because it contains what God thinks about something. Who says something is right or wrong? If we leave it up to the person, we have many different ideas. God is the one who says right or wrong, and he has it in the Bible. Therefore, the Scripture is proof of right. It contains what we can and can't, and it is ink, available to all, whereas the previous examples of visions are not available to all. Only some people get them.
When Satan tempted Jesus, he used Scripture, but note this, SOME Scripture and out-of-context. How did Jesus reply? 'Oh, I know that isn't right because I have God's spirit inside me directing me."? NO! He used Scripture! Scripture is a double-edged sword. It is a fearsome weapon when used effectively, but when used by someone who does not understand it, it is double-edged in a sense that it comes back at the one who used it.

I don't know whether this is the best way to explain it. I'm not the best at explaining. Probably has something to do with my lack of experience. :)

You explained it very well. I hadn't really considered the fact that Jesus quoted Scripture to repel Satan.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
You explained it very well. I hadn't really considered the fact that Jesus quoted Scripture to repel Satan.

I would like to point out something about this. Jesus does use scripture, but once again, is Jesus using head knowledge, or is he following the Spirit. Here is what Jesus teaches on the matter...

[sup]Luke 12:11[/sup] “Now when they bring you to the synagogues and magistrates and authorities, do not worry about how or what you should answer, or what you should say. [sup]12[/sup] For the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.”

Scripture IS inspired of the Lord. It IS a great tool. But the Spirit is leading, and the Spirit is the one who gives us scripture to battle and answer. We do not use our own understanding and reasoning, but trust the understanding that the Lord has given us. The Lord gives us the answer.

We are to be led by the Spirit in this situation (and in all others). I'm sure Jesus followed his own principle ;)

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
I would like to point out something about this. Jesus does use scripture, but once again, is Jesus using head knowledge, or is he following the Spirit. Here is what Jesus teaches on the matter...

[sup]Luke 12:11[/sup] “Now when they bring you to the synagogues and magistrates and authorities, do not worry about how or what you should answer, or what you should say. [sup]12[/sup] For the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.”

Scripture IS inspired of the Lord. It IS a great tool. But the Spirit is leading, and the Spirit will give us scripture to battle and answer sometimes. We do not use our own understanding and reasoning, but trust the understanding that the Lord has given us. The Lord gives us the answer.

We are to be led by the Spirit in this situation (and in all others). I'm sure Jesus followed his own principle ;)

Let's go to another Scripture:

Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The Holy Ghost is not teaching us something new. It is merely reminding us what Jesus has already told us in the Bible. Education is 99% repetition.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Let's go to another Scripture:

Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The Holy Ghost is not teaching us something new. It is merely reminding us what Jesus has already told us in the Bible. Education is 99% repetition.

Education being 99% repetition is your own conclusion of this.

The veres actually makes it obvious.

The Holy Spirit will bring these things to your remembrance, which Jesus has spoken. So he's telling the disciples the Spirit will lead them and remind them of his word. The Spirit gives life... Not the word. After all, the devil can quote scripture, does it give life when he does that, or does it attempt to deceive?

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Education being 99% repetition is your own conclusion of this.

The veres actually makes it obvious.

The Holy Spirit will bring these things to your remembrance, which Jesus has spoken. So he's telling the disciples the Spirit will lead them and remind them of his word. The Spirit gives life... Not the word. After all, the devil can quote scripture, does it give life when he does that, or does it attempt to deceive?

Actually, that was a saying I remember from some book. I think it's pretty true. We learn through repetition.

I didn't say the bible gives life. When the devil uses Scripture, he misuses it. As I have previously said, anyone who misuses Scripture can be cut by the very same double-edged sword: Scripture

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Actually, that was a saying I remember from some book. I think it's pretty true. We learn through repetition.

I didn't say the bible gives life. When the devil uses Scripture, he misuses it. As I have previously said, anyone who misuses Scripture can be cut by the very same double-edged sword: Scripture
So how can we know to use it right? Our own understanding? Our human 'brilliance'?

See that is where it is so key. The Spirit teaches us, as we submit ourselves to the Lord, he gives us understanding :)

It's a beautiful thing, really. Blessings to all :)

Ill be back in the morning.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Dead religion says it's about studying the scriptures.. even though the scriptures they study says it's about knowing the Father through His Son who is His Living Word... they puff themselves about their knowledge of the scriptures but they can't even hear or see what they say or Who they point to... because their carnal mind can't understand the things of the Spirit they deny the One who reestablished direct relationship with the Father for us... and that relationship is not by reading a book... but by Christ in us. By God's Word in us...

The people who are saturated with the leaven of the Pharisees today find reason to reject Jesus by their carnal interpretation of the scriptures the same way they did then.

And they react the same way as well... they lie and twist things in order to bare false accusations... but I don't freak out about such things because as Christ said... if they hear My Words they'll hear yours and if they don't hear mine they won't hear your's either...

I tell you what... I don't need a book to know if it's my Mom or not because I know her... if I needed some book to point my Mom out to me when she called on the phone that would just be proof that I didn't really know her... Christ is in us... and if you can't tell the difference between His voice and the voice of a stranger that just proves you're not His...

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Isn't it funny how those who say we don't need the Bible refer to the Bible when it's convenient?

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Everyone who denies that it's possible to have a direct living relationship with God without paper and ink now because of Jesus Christ... and that's you...

You also called the Holy Spirit in us just some, "unknown spirit"...

Dude... for your own good... just repent...

In love... seriously... stop...

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Everyone who denies that it's possible to have a direct living relationship with God without paper and ink now because of Jesus Christ... and that's you...

You also called the Holy Spirit in us just some, "unknown spirit"...

Dude... for your own good... just repent...

In love... seriously... stop...
Stop charging God with contradictions, seriously. For your own good.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
I never charged God with contradictions... I said the bible has contradictions... contrary to your beliefs... God is not a book... so you're mistaken...