Why its important to keep the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know what's been overlooked by that side that claims God's laws are expired,no longer have authority,etc...

Sin!

Sin, is lawlessness. :)

The Old Covenant Laws have not expired….they are as they always were….for those in the Old Covenant….that is the Jews.

Now here is an online study with credits and if you look into it you will find that even the Jews have issues and disagree on how to observe the Old Testament Laws.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know what's been overlooked by that side that claims God's laws are expired,no longer have authority,etc...

Sin!

Yesterday was Saturday. I got up early in the morning, got dressed, fed my cats, changed the litter. Warmed up the car, travelled an hour to visit my dad at rehab. On the way I stopped at the truckstop and picked him up a cheese omelet, 2 slices of banana bread, orange juice, and a milk. Because the food at rehab I wouldn't feed to my cats, just saying.
I visited from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm. While I was there the nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists, technicians, kitchen workers, were all helping and aiding people living in the facility. Then I drove an hour home and picked up a sandwich on the way because I haven't had time to go shopping and everything in my fridge is spoiled. I will have to work today as well taking out the trash, washing dishes, doing laundry, and do some cooking so I can bring dad food that he will eat tomorrow.
The weather will be bad today and even though I want to go, I know I need to stay home for at least one day to catch up on everything that has been neglected. And the trash stinks, and the fridge stinks, and the sink stinks, and the laundry stinks, everything stinks.
And when dad is ready to come home I don't want him to come home to a stinky house.

Which day am I committing sin? Did those working at the rehab commit sin? Was the people working at the truckstop cooking the omelet I fed my dad sinning, or the store I went to get me a sandwich because I have no edible food in my kitchen?
What is lawlessness?

Mat 25:34
Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Mat 25:35
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Mat 25:36
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Mat 25:37
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
Mat 25:38
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Mat 25:39
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
Mat 25:40
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Mat 25:41
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
Mat 25:42
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
Mat 25:43
I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
Mat 25:44
Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
Mat 25:45
Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
Mat 25:46
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

What exactly does it mean to "KEEP" the Sabbath?
And which of the above "KEPT" it?

Which were the faithful and which were lawless?

The Sabbath IS the first and second commandment that Jesus says sums up the whole.

Mat 22:36
Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Mat 22:37
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38
This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

The reason why Israel couldn't enter in is because they was selfish and wanted to keep it to themselves.
But God gave it to the world which is our reasonable service to serve him and others.

You keep it your way, I'll keep it the way the Lord gives me to keep it, regardless what day of the week it falls on.

lawlessness...
Show me where I broke the law.

Hugs

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mean that word that made the Sabbath for us?
Not us,(as in law keepers),for the Sabbath. (Law to be kept)

I like the new phrase, expired law of Moses. :Broadly:
Respect your parents.
Sorry,expired.

Don't commit adulterery.
Oops,expired.

Don't steal.
Ditto.

Poor old Jesus there in the New covenantal testimony reiterating expired moral rules.

Someone should have told him.:waves:

hmmx1:
And not have left out how wrong he was in saying there are no Jews or Gentiles, Greeks,etc... 'cause we're all one in him.

And those Apostles!
Keeping the Sabbath after Jesus ascended. Expired!
Moses is not your parent!

JESUS only reiterated His Law.

There are no accounts in Scripture of the Apostles keeping the sabbath under the old covenant law.
We do see the Apostles using every opportunity to preach the Gospel = especially on saturday AND sunday.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sin!

Disobey the commandments of the Lord Jesus is sin and lawlessness.

When you seek to be under the law of Moses and add it to Christ you sin.

Apostle Paul says:
"For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ!
You have fallen away from God’s grace."

Last edited:
Reactions: mailmandan

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So long as you continue to ignore His commandments, and teach they are defunct, you will never find true rest.
JESUS says: "Come to ME and I will give you REST" = this is His Commandment

HE never told us to keep the old covenant law but HE did tell us to vacate it for the NEW WINE of His Blood.

And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; or else the new wine bursts the wineskins, the wine is spilled, and the wineskins are ruined. But new wine must be put into new wineskins.”

Reactions: mailmandan

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We've been over it before, and you quit.

And I was a Christian long before folks started calling the Ten Commandments part of "the law of Moses" on the Internet, so the schtick won't work on me.

Sorry

We are not including the Ten Commandments as the old law except that they were written on stone.

CHRIST writes them on our hearts AND HE is the fulfillment of ALL 10.
CHRIST is our Sabbath REST, thus His Commandment is: "Come to ME and I will give you REST"
Continuing to gather on saturday is GREAT = just do it in CHRIST and not as under the old law.

This is a BIG DEAL to GOD = HE calls it Salvation

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yesterday was Saturday. I got up early in the morning, got dressed, fed my cats, changed the litter. Warmed up the car, travelled an hour to visit my dad at rehab. On the way I stopped at the truckstop and picked him up a cheese omelet, 2 slices of banana bread, orange juice, and a milk. Because the food at rehab I wouldn't feed to my cats, just saying.
I visited from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm. While I was there the nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists, technicians, kitchen workers, were all helping and aiding people living in the facility. Then I drove an hour home and picked up a sandwich on the way because I haven't had time to go shopping and everything in my fridge is spoiled. I will have to work today as well taking out the trash, washing dishes, doing laundry, and do some cooking so I can bring dad food that he will eat tomorrow.
The weather will be bad today and even though I want to go, I know I need to stay home for at least one day to catch up on everything that has been neglected. And the trash stinks, and the fridge stinks, and the sink stinks, and the laundry stinks, everything stinks.
And when dad is ready to come home I don't want him to come home to a stinky house.

Which day am I committing sin? Did those working at the rehab commit sin? Was the people working at the truckstop cooking the omelet I fed my dad sinning, or the store I went to get me a sandwich because I have no edible food in my kitchen?
What is lawlessness?

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

The Sabbath IS the first and second commandment that Jesus says sums up the whole.

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

The reason why Israel couldn't enter in is because they was selfish and wanted to keep it to themselves.
But God gave it to the world which is our reasonable service to serve him and others.

You keep it your way, I'll keep it the way the Lord gives me to keep it, regardless what day of the week it falls on.

lawlessness...

Hugs

Has anyone been trying to dictate to you as to how you must keep the Sabbath?

We don't answer to other people as to how we keep the Sabbath. We answer to God.

Since there's plenty of guidance online for novices on good ways to begin keeping the Sabbath (like SABBATHTruth.com), it looks as if you're obviously not convicted that Sabbath-keeping is a serious matter in the same way as murder, theft, adultery, etc.

Otherwise, you wouldn't be announcing the things you do on Sabbath that you perceived might be seen as non-compliant to others.

I'm not the LORD so I can't look on the heart but it looks like you're trying to be combative without appearing to be combative and, in the end, intentional or not, it just comes across as definite mocking, Zig. Not a look that I would normally expect to witness from you. :(

:hearteyes:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sin!

Well, before I even had a chance to reply, I think someone already came up with the old "Yeah, but what is the law for New Covenant believers?" nonsense.

Then you get the laundry list of things the Law could be: law of love; law of Christ; Royal law; NEW commandment; 2 great commandments, etc., ad nauseum—any and everything to avoid the 4th commandment.

That is, unless you care to spiritualize it away inwardly, à la Hebrews 4 (link); Matthew 11:28 (link).

google-smiling-face-with-heart-shaped-eyes-960d-mysmiley-net.png

Reactions: BlessedPeace

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heb 7.11 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood—and indeed the law given to the people established that priesthood—why was there still need for another priest to come, one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron?

But, see, this inevitably runs headlong into the staggering difficulty I've often pointed out as being internally and thoroughly contradictory to Scripture.

So, speaking of the law that was undoubtedly changed, according to Hebrews 7:

And with the changing of the priesthood, God’s Word tells us there is also a change of the law.

Hebrews 7:12
For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Can't be the same law.

Verses 16-18 of Hebrews 7 says the law that is being changed is carnal/fleshly, weak, and unprofitable:

Heb 7:16-18
16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life. 17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec. 18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.

But Romans 7 says that the law is spiritual, holy, just and good.

Rom 7:12-14
12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. 13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Verse 14 even directly contrasts "spiritual" with "carnal," thoroughly impeaching the theory that Hebrews 7 is talking about the moral law being changed.

Are we really supposed to believe that "carnal" = "spiritual" and that "weak and unprofitable" = "holy, just, and good?"

I'm just reading the Bible here—no twisting of any kind required.

Unimpeachable, in fact

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So long as you continue to ignore His commandments, and teach they are defunct, you will never find true rest.

As long as you continue to reject Jesus Christ and the New Covenant He has established... you won't be saved. disagree.gif

Trying to earn your salvation thinking that having church on Saturday cannot save you homie half time disagree.gif

Hebrews 10:9
Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

(God said He would make a New Covenant - see Jeremiah 31:31-34)

Hebrews 8:6
But now hath Jesus obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also Jesus is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

And with the changing of the priesthood, God’s Word tells us there is also a change of the law.

For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

• Haha
Reactions: BarneyFife

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But, see, this inevitably runs headlong into the staggering difficulty I've often pointed out as being internally and thoroughly contradictory to Scripture.
What? I just quoted a passage from Hebrews? You're saying that is contradictory to Scripture? It *is* Scripture!
16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life. 17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec. 18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.

12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. 13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Verse 14 even directly contrasts "spiritual" with "carnal," thoroughly impeaching the theory that Hebrews 7 is talking about the moral law being changed.

Are we really supposed to believe that "carnal" = "spiritual" and that "weak and unprofitable" = "holy, just, and good?"
Yes, words mean different things in different contexts. In some places of Scripture "carnal" is standing opposed to "spiritual." In this case, it is not. The point is that when the Law, which is carnal-based, is no longer in effect, then it ceases to be spiritual. It has to be a presently-running covenant in order for the commands to be viewed as "spiritual."

You don't understand this. "Carnal" refers to the fact that the Law is dealing with a picture of full redemption, and not the real thing. It uses "carnal elements," such as animal blood and water, to cleanse and to purify from sin. God viewed it as an acceptable replacement for the real thing on a temporary basis, until the real thing could come.

What was "carnal" was the material, physical realities involved in displaying *temporary redemption* under the Law. It was not an atonement made in heaven on a permanent basis, but only a temporary serving of the same. "Carnal," therefore, refers to "earthly," as opposed to "heavenly." The Law was based on wood, bronze, vegetable and mineral, as well as blood and water. These are, by definition, "carnal elements."

When these "carnal elements" are used in obedience to God's requirements under the Law, then they have validity and are deemed "spiritual." In this case, carnal worship is not viewed as "false worship" or "legalism," as you are implying. We are indeed talking about the Law of Moses, and not some other law!

The sense of carnal commands, mentioned by the KJV in Heb 7.16, identifies earthly realities associated with treating sinful people. It does not mean the commands that deal with sinful people are themselves sinful, or "carnal" in that sense. The reference is to "regulations" that govern flawed human beings in the normal course of their lives, eg registrations, genealogies, etc.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That again??

Can't be the same law.

Verses 16-18 of Hebrews 7 says the law that is being changed is carnal/fleshly, weak, and unprofitable:

I'm just reading the Bible here—no Scripture twisting required.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're saying that is contradictory to Scripture? It *is* Scripture!

No, you're interpreting it contrary to other Scripture.

You can do the mental gymnastics that are required to have it both ways, but I'm not allowing those bats into my belfry.

And you still haven't answered my main question:

How long have you believed the stuff you're claiming here?

Because I say it simply didn't exist 30+ years ago in the minds of lay people—only in those of rich kids attending liberal seminaries.

Are you going to answer or not?

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, before I even had a chance to reply, I think someone already came up with the old "Yeah, but what is the law for New Covenant believers?" nonsense.

Then you get the laundry list of things the Law could be: law of love; law of Christ; Royal law; NEW commandment; 2 great commandments, etc., ad nauseum—any and everything to avoid the 4th commandment.

That is, unless you care to spiritualize it away inwardly, à la Hebrews 4 (link); Matthew 11:28 (link).

google-smiling-face-with-heart-shaped-eyes-960d-mysmiley-net.png

Though an atheist now,this man is a New Testament expert. It's a brief video however,it does away with the idea God's law was not in the New Testament nor after.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you're interpreting it contrary to other Scripture.

You can do the mental gymnastics that are required to have it both ways, but I'm not allowing those bats into my belfry.
Suit yourself. I explained the difference between "carnal regulations" and "carnal men." Regulations are not men. You can believe as you wish.
And you still haven't answered my main question:

How long have you believed the stuff you're claiming here?

Because I say it simply didn't exist 30+ years ago in the minds of lay people—only in those of rich kids attending liberal seminaries.

Are you going to answer or not?
I apparently bypassed that question and failed to see the validity of your question. 7th Day Adventism has been rejected for many years. Pelagianism has been rejected for many years. We're talking centuries, and not just a few years!

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What is lawlessness?

lawlessness...

Hugs
All that just to deny God's gift.

It was your day. You lived it. Tell me, did you sin at all?

Sin, is lawlessness.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moses is not your parent!
No kidding. Then you and others here have at least made the distinction finally that what is being discussed is God's laws. Not Moses.

JESUS only reiterated His Law.

There are no accounts in Scripture of the Apostles keeping the sabbath under the old covenant law.
We do see the Apostles using every opportunity to preach the Gospel = especially on saturday AND sunday.
There are accounts of the Apostles keeping the Sabbath.

There's a difference between law and tradition. Jesus proved that on the Sabbath.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No Sabbath commands in the New Covenant! NONE!

Colossians 2:16
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

Reactions: BlessedPeace