Why its important to keep the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sabbath was instituted at Creation WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY before Moses. All the Commandments were in place, or there wouldn't be ant definition of sin (transgression of the Law) Also God wrote the 10 with His finger. Moses wrote down the rest.

Now, Dear Sister, you are 'Now' getting very close to understanding the Heart of God concerning the 7th Day of Rest.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the Apostles observed the Sabbath still.
Not under the law once Pentecost and the Holy Spirit was poured Out from Above

Focus on this Truth
1.) The Lord Jesus never commanded us to keep the saturday sabbath.
2.) the Apostles never instructed or commanded anyone to keep the saturday sabbath as necessary for Salvation.
3.) Revelation never once mentions saturday sabbath keeping
4.) Genesis Speaks of the Gospel
5) Genesis 2:3 Speaks of Christ AND it is confirmed in the Gospel
6) the old covenant has been abolished

7 = the New Covenant established a New Sabbath REST

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not under the law once Pentecost and the Holy Spirit was poured Out from Above

Focus on this Truth
1.) The Lord Jesus never commanded us to keep the Saturday sabbath.
2.) the Apostles never instructed or commanded anyone to keep the saturday sabbath as necessary for Salvation.
5) Genesis 2:2 Speaks of Christ AND it is confirmed in the Gospel

Focus the fact they Observed the Sabbath.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not for Christians
Messiah is for everyone
that is why HE came
to set us FREE from sin and shame
Jesus is God's only Begotten Son
REST is now ASSURED
YES, this i KNOW
For JESUS is my LORD

Last edited:

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not for Christians
That's your answer? :D

List of churches and movements that Keep Sabbath​

Sabbatarian Baptists
Sabbatarian Adventists[1]
Sabbatarian Pentecostalists
Sabbatarian British Israelites / (Armstrongism)
Judaizers
Others

• Love
Reactions: BlessedPeace

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Therefore do not let anyone judge you with respect to food or drink, or in the matter of a feast, new moon, or Sabbath days.
Colossians 2:16

Imagine that.
And when the Apostles honored the Sabbath day after Jesus' resurrection and ascension,they knew what they were doing.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Lying cheatin stealing etc. are still sins but not because of the Mosaic Law but the Law of christ!

Lying cheatin stealing etc. are still sins but not because of the Mosaic Law but the Law of christ AMEN!
Lying cheatin stealing etc. for no second in eternity were sins because of the Mosaic Law -- something also that for no second in eternity had or has been the Law of Moses.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Focus on this Truth
5) Genesis 2:3 Speaks of Christ AND it is confirmed in the Gospel

Rather focus on this, the true Truth...

1.) The Lord Jesus never commanded us to keep <the saturday sabbath> BECAUSE HE IS THE MAKER AND LORD PROTECTOR OF THE BIBLE SABBATH, DENOUNCER JUDGE AND PUNISHER of both <the saturday sabbath> and its lying and obsessed worshippers inter alia David in NJ.

2.) The Apostles never instructed or commanded anyone to keep the saturday sabbath, what, <as necessary for Salvation> like its lying and obsessed worshippers inter alia David in NJ here suggests.

3.) Revelation never once mentions <saturday sabbath keeping>—the very idea is most unnecessary, superfluous, and fowl and smelling bull dust breathing life-support, for these so obsessed with it.

4) The <old covenant> has been abolished? So what are you talking about? You must be hallucinating, considered this non-existent abolished thing occurring nowhere except in the sick mind of hallucinating people.

5) The New Covenant established a New Sabbath REST—texts by the dozens prove it, one finds most of them in the Law in the Old Testament.

HIM

Apr 18, 2021
Ashland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FOCUS on the Gospel

Under the New Covenant there is a Sabbath REST of God that if anyone(Jew or Gentile) fails to enter into it,
you will die in your sins.
If we are willfully sinning we will die in our sins. Hebrews 4 is a difficult passage for most. You are misinterpreting it.

HIM

Apr 18, 2021
Ashland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Focus on this Truth
Many Christian denominations make a division in Matthew 24. There is no division in Jesus' answer to the three question in verse 3. Verse 20's praying that our flight not be in the winter nor the Sabbath is connected to all of it my friends by the use of the conjunctive particles, for, and, for. wherefore, for, for and, and respectively. This means that Jesus expected His follows to be keeping the Sabbath until His return. And the adverb "then" in verse 24 shows us that what is about to be said relies on what was previously stated. Verse 26's use of the particle "wherefore" shows us that what is about to be said is connected to verse 24. The context also makes this apparent. Then with the continuous use of the particle "for" in verses 27 and 28 coupled with the particle "and" in verses 30 and 31 we are shown what is about to be said is directly connected to what was said the whole way back to verse 4 actually. So as was said Jesús expected and therefore expects His follows to be keeping the Sabbath up through the destruction of the Temple through the tribulation prior to and up to His Second coming and the gathering of the elect from the four winds, from one end of Heaven unto the other.

Matt 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
Matt 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
Matt 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
Matt 24:23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
Matt 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
Matt 24:25 Behold, I have told you before.
Matt 24:26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not. Matt 24:27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. Matt 24:28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
Matt 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
Matt 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
Matt 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

• Love
Reactions: GerhardEbersoehn

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Making claims is meaningless. What matters is the power of a new life, that we may serve one another by love.

Much love!
See what I mean.
i am speaking AGAINST adding the Why its important to keep the Sabbath

the Righteousness of God is only in JESUS CHRIST
You in fact presuppose for real GOD'S <old covenant law>. Therefore you in fact presuppose the Righteousness of God is only in <the old covenant law> for any believing the Seventh Day Sabbath.
Or not?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a reason why theologians generally do not pick one Protestant denomination over another and it is because they all have so many false beliefs. Going to church is important but for many that belief has lost its way. The early Christians met in secret and risked their lives to assemble and worship the Lord. Now a days you would have to use a cattle prod to get a lot of them to go to church.

Here the topics are the Sabbath and the Mosaic Law, these are very deep topics that few Christians understand. Early on in my education I knew that but then later I found out how deep they where while studying at Hebrew University in Jerusalem. There I found out that even the Jews have issues understanding the Mosaic Law. So don’t feel bad if “you all” have some errors in your understanding. I am going to explain a few things but not all will be able to understand them.

1. What most refer to as the Ten Commandment are not the actual Ten Commandments.

2. The summaries that God spoke of in chapter 20…..there are 14 not 10. After stating the first 10 the people freaked and then after things settled down He spoke 4 more.

3. The 14 items spoke in chapter 20 are summaries of the basic moralities of the Mosaic Law that would be given later.

4. Christians like to separate 10 of these for guidance saying they are not part of the Mosaic Law, but they are in effect summaries of the Mosaic Law, being fully explained in the body of the Mosaic Law.

5. Christians separate these from the Mosaic Law to use as guidance and this is one of the most sacrilegious sins in the Mosaic Law. There are 613 Mosaic Laws and you cannot pick and choose which ones to follow. But then for Christians the Mosaic Laws do not apply and the Apostle Paul more less put a curse on those that looked to the Mosaic Laws for guidance.

6. God never called the items in chapter 20 commandments

7. The ten laws that God referred to as commandments and instructed Moses to write on the tables are in Exodus 34:10-28

8. Christ and Apostles were Jews and during Christ ministry they were still obligated to observe the Mosaic Laws. After the crucifixion they were not required to observe the Mosaic Laws.

9. The history of it all…..and old habits die hard. It appears that some of the Apostles continued to observe the Sabbath and some of the Mosaic Laws. But as far as the Apostles going to the temple to observe the Sabbath ….it brings up some questions….did the Apostles continue to sacrifice in the Temple….if they refused to sacrifice on the Sabbath they probably would have been hauled out and stoned.

10. So there are some questions on how the Jewish-Apostles actually practiced Christianity.

11. But then the Apostle Paul and then the Apostle Peter started their ministry to the Gentiles, Paul spoke against observing the Mosaic Law. So you have the Jewish–Christians and the Gentile-Christians and their beliefs and practices had differences.

12. Eventfully the Gentile-Christians came to believe that the resurrection was the most important day of the week and chose to worship on Sunday….some calling it the Lord’s Day. And no, Emperor Constantine did not pick this day. But I am not saying that some of the Jewish-Christians did not observe the Lord's Day.

The Apostle Paul's objections to the Mosaic Law

Galatians 5:3&4 And I testify again to every man who receives circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law. You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

2nd Corinthians 3:7-18 But if the ministry of death, in letters engraved on stones, came with glory, so that the sons of Israel could not look intently at the face of Moses because of the glory of his face, fading as it was, how will the ministry of the Spirit fail to be even more with glory? For if the ministry of condemnation has glory, much more does the ministry of righteousness abound in glory. For indeed what had glory, in this case has no glory because of the glory that surpasses it. For if that which fades away was with glory, much more that which remains is in glory. Therefore having such a hope, we use great boldness in our speech, and are not like Moses, who used to put a veil over his face so that the sons of Israel would not look intently at the end of what was fading away. But their minds were hardened; for until this very day at the reading of the old covenant the same veil remains unlifted, because it is removed in Christ. But to this day whenever Moses is read, a veil lies over their heart; but whenever a person turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

Galatians 3:1-5 You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified? 2 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of ]the Law, or by hearing with faith? 3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? 4 Did you suffer so many things in vain—if indeed it was in vain? 5 So then, does He who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith?

Galatians 5:3 I, Paul, tell you that if you have yourselves circumcised, Christ will be of no benefit to you. And I testify again to every man who has himself circumcised, that he is obligated to keep the whole Law.

Hebrews 8:7 For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another.

Hebrews 8:13 By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

1st Corinthians 9:20 And to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law, through not being myself under the Law, that I might win those who are under the Law;

6:14 For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

Romans 7:6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

Galatians 3:12 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us.

Galatians 3:24-26 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

Galatians 4:21 Tell me, you who want to be under law, do you not listen to the Law?

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Will the real set of Ten Commandments, please stand up!
Believe it or not this is the short version of this explanation.

Exodus chapter 20
The event: The Hebrews / Israelites, are at Mt Sinai, God speaks from the mountain to the nation of Israel. After God speaks the first ten Law the people freaked. Then after they calm down and step back a distance then God continues on with four more, and then continues on to the ordinances. So during this event there are fourteen summaries of Laws, not ten. From there the confusion starts. Another thing to consider, is that at this event God does not call any of the laws commandments. These laws are reiterated by people in the following set of scriptures.

Exodus 20:3-17.......................Exodus 24:4-12....................Deuteronomy 5:7-21

Exodus chapter 20
1. “You shall have no other gods before Me.

2. “You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing loving kindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.”

3 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.

4 “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath of the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

5. “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the Lord your God gives you.

6. “You shall not murder.

7. “You shall not commit adultery.

8. “You shall not steal.

9. “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

10. “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife or his male servant or his female servant or his ox or his donkey or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”

This list of ethical codes are also listed in Deuteronomy 5:7-21. But neither are directly referenced as the Ten Commandments, which adds to the confusion. After speaking the first 14 Law summaries, God continues to speak and goes into other sections of the Laws, Laws concerning slaves, (which included concubinage) Laws concerning personal injury, Laws concerning theft, Laws concerning property—physical and living, Laws concerning morality, Laws concerning civil and religious obligations, and Laws concerning conquests and wars. Moses than spoke these Laws to the people and then he wrote them down. He refers to this as the book of the covenant, not commandments.

The summaries in Chapter 20 are explained in full detail in the body of the 613 Mosaic Laws. This is one of reasons that we know they are summaries because they are explained in more detail later. The Mosaic Law does not repeat itself.

Exodus 24:4-12
Moses wrote down all the words of the Lord. Then he arose early in the morning, and built an altar at the foot of the mountain with twelve pillars for the twelve tribes of Israel. He sent young men of the sons of Israel, and they offered burnt offerings and sacrificed young bulls as peace offerings to the Lord. Moses took half of the blood and put it in basins, and the other half of the blood he sprinkled on the altar. Then he took the book of the covenant and read it in the hearing of the people; and they said, “All that the Lord has spoken we will do, and we will be obedient!” So Moses took the blood and sprinkled it on the people, and said, “Behold the blood of the covenant, which the Lord has made with you in accordance with all these words.” Then Moses went up with Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel, and they saw the God of Israel; and under His feet there appeared to be a pavement of sapphire, as clear as the sky itself. Yet He did not stretch out His hand against the nobles of the sons of Israel; and they saw God, and they ate and drank. Now the Lord said to Moses, “Come up to Me on the mountain and the remain there, and I will give you the stone tablets with the law and the commandment which I have written for their instruction.”

Now everyone knows, the first set of tablets did not end well. In the first instance, God made the tablets and wrote the Laws on them. That did not occur with the second trip that Moses made to Mt Sinai. Moses made the tablets.

In Exodus 34:10-28 here are the only Laws that God calls the Ten Commandments and He refers to the tablets as the Two Tablets of the Testimony. So in verse 34:11 God says, “Be sure to observe what I am commanding you this day: behold, I am going to drive out the Amorite before you, and the Canaanite, the Hittite, the Perizzite, the Hivite and the Jebusite. Then He goes on to state the Ten Commandments.

1. Watch yourself that you make no covenant with the inhabitants of the land into which you are going, or it will become a snare in your midst. But rather, you are to tear down their altars and smash their sacred pillars and cut down their Asherim.

2. for you shall not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God—otherwise you might make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land and they would play the harlot with their gods and sacrifice to their gods, and someone might invite you to eat of his sacrifice, and you might take some of his daughters for your sons, and his daughters might play the harlot with their gods and cause your sons also to play the harlot with their gods.

3. You shall make for yourself no molten gods.

4. You shall observe the Feast of Unleavened Bread. For seven days you are to eat unleavened bread, as I commanded you, at the appointed time in the month of Abib, for in the month of Abib you came out of Egypt.

5. The first offspring from every womb belongs to Me, and all your male livestock, the first offspring from cattle and sheep. You shall redeem with a lamb the first offspring from a donkey; and if you do not redeem it, then you shall break its neck. You shall redeem all the firstborn of your sons. None shall appear before Me empty-handed.

6. You shall work six days, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during plowing time and harvest you shall rest.

7. You shall celebrate the Feast of Weeks, that is, the first fruits of the wheat harvest, and the Feast of Ingathering at the turn of the year.

8. Three times a year all your males are to appear before the Lord God, the God of Israel. For I will drive out nations before you and enlarge your borders, and no man shall covet your land when you go up three times a year to appear before the Lord your God.

9. You shall not offer the blood of My sacrifice with leavened bread, nor is the sacrifice of the Feast of the Passover to be left over until morning.

10. You shall bring the very first of the first fruits of your soil into the house of the Lord your God. You shall not boil a young goat in its mother’s milk.”

Just as a matter of trivia…the meaning of “You shall not boil a young goat in its mothers milk…is not agreed upon. It is repeated a few times in different contexts.

Then in the next verse, verse 27 God said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” So he (Moses) was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did not eat bread or drink water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments. And they are not the same as the summary of Laws in Chapter 20.

613 Mosaic Laws....Like the Mosaic Laws, some of the 10 summary of laws are not applicable to Christianity and even are contrary to the beliefs of Christianity. For example; Christians are not required to observe the Jewish Saturday Sabbath and the prohibition against engraved images...pictures, paintings, billboards, TV, computers, smart phones, etc...we blow that out of the water, even in church.