Why its important to keep the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Keep one, keep both, keep none or all,
but whatever you do, do it to the Glory of God.
Ziggy, I do enjoy your contributions, however, I think I need to remind you that not doing the will of God...that is disobeying Him... Is not to His glory. I agree with you that there are many interpretations as to what the Sabbath means and how it applies to individuals and churches. And that's the trouble. People want to "interpret" that which is already plainly declared in scripture. Why? Because they don't want to allow God to make such changes to their lives necessary for them to do God's will. They will do all manner of things to please their flesh and look good in the sight of others. But the moment anything requires sacrifice, they look for excuses to avoid it, and thus miss out on the many blessings that would have followed complete surrender.
And when it comes to observing the Sabbath, or the myriad of alternatives that are offered in its stead, it reminds me of the fruit that Cain offered instead of simply doing what was required.
KJV Matthew 15:9
9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
KJV Matthew 7:21-23
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

We have to take extreme care and much prayer and be transparent and honest in all our dealings with God. Many here have correctly declared that spiritually resting in Christ...that is surrendered, placing ones full confidence in, and trusting in Christ in all things, is the right and proper thing to do. Doing this brings peace, and allows Christ to work in the life with our full cooperation. However, while all that is true, nowhere in scripture, either in the teachings of Jesus Himself, or from any of the Apostles, is there ever a hint that such a rest actually replaces or morphs from the 4th commandment. The same can be said of Sunday sacredness. That particular teaching and doctrine does not exist. It is an invention of man, a tradition of the church handed down after centuries of determined papal enforcement and political power.
Many historians are in agreement with scripture, that the apostles observed the Sabbath, being mentioned over 70 times in the NT, as did the early church in a variety of nations unhampered by papal decrees to the contrary, the declarations of Roman church councils, and persecutions and wars against those who chose the Sabbath within Rome's jurisdiction. Ethiopia, the Celtic church in Britain, and the Assyrian church of the east all honoured the 4th commandment until opposition slowly wore them down. Seventh Day Adventists did not invent the Sabbath. Nor were they the first people in the NT to observe it. But they will be the last.
KJV Revelation 12:17
17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
KJV Revelation 14:9-12
9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When you lift a finger to add to God's grace you have broken the Sabbath.
When you seek to justify yourself in the presence of God you have broken the Sabbath.
I am somewhat surprised you have resorted to building this straw man in the same manner so many others have attempted to do. "Those Adventists are adding to Christ's finished work". "Working their way to heaven". "Adding works to grace". I don't know if it's an intentional lie in an attempt to dissuade those reading these posts, or whether it stems from a superficial and shallow understanding of Adventist theology and teaching. Either way, it's wrong, it's slanderous, and it's altogether insulting when one considers the number of quotes from Adventists' sources, particularly Ellen White herself, and our own testimony, that such accusations are not only preposterous, but hypocritical when considering the made up excuses that come from those who deny the Sabbath.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
or whether it stems from a superficial and shallow understanding of Adventist theology and teaching.
I have no idea what the Adventist's theology and teachings are.
I use God's word only.

Everything under the law of Moses, Jesus enlightened by showing us the spiritual meaning in the law. Not just on the surface.
He explained that even if you hate your brother without a cause, it is murder.
Even if you look on a woman to lust after her, you have committed adultery already in your heart.
So if you take ALL 10 commandments and ENLIGHTEN them, there is a much deeper spiritual meaning ALSO to the fourth commandment.
It's a matter of the heart just like the others.
You don't have to actually kill someone to be a murderer in God's eyes.
You don't actually have to sleep with someone to be an adulterer.

Now apply this to the fourth commandment.
What is the difference between the works of man and the works of God?
What is the difference between man's rest and God's rest?

What is the purpose of the Sabbath day?
Is it not to come into the presence of God?
And if God is in you.....

I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining how I understand it. And what the Sabbath means to me.
Hugs

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ICUMI:

Days 1-3: God created the spaces
Days 4-6: God fills the spaces
Day 7: God creates a space of time and fills it with Himself.

Can we really expect to find any darkness anywhere in that?
Compare

Luke 23:44-46
Now it was about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.
Then the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was torn in two.
And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said, “Father, ‘into Your hands I commit My spirit.’
” Having said this, He breathed His last.

Compare
John 12:35
Then Jesus said to them, “A little while longer the light is with you. Walk while you have the light, lest darkness overtake you; he who walks in darkness does not know where he is going. While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light.” These things Jesus spoke, and departed, and was hidden from them.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe that since Jesus is our reward, we can rob banks?
Do you believe that since Jesus is our lifegiver, we can become life takers?
Do you believe that since Jesus is our faithfulness, we can sleep with the neighbor's wife?
Do you believe that since Jesus is our truth, we can now tell lies?

THEN WHY DO YOU CLAIM THAT SINCE JESUS IS OUR REST, WE CAN BREAK THE SABBATH?
All TEN Commandments are there in PERSON.
Thus the 7th NEW Commandment of the 7th Day = "Come and follow ME"

The commandments that JESUS did not state is because they are in HIM and Point to HIM.

Love the LORD God with all your heart = JESUS and the FATHER are ONE
No other gods/idols = JESUS says, If you love ME keep MY commandments
Keep the Sabbath = JESUS is the 7th Day of REST = "Come to ME and I will give you REST"

Everyday is Sabbath REST in CHRIST = "I will write My laws on their minds and their hearts"

Saturday is a great day to gather in fellowship = so also is "the first day of the week"

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziggy

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Compare

Luke 23:44-46
Now it was about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.
Then the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was torn in two.
And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said, “Father, ‘into Your hands I commit My spirit.’
” Having said this, He breathed His last.

Compare
John 12:35
Then Jesus said to them, “A little while longer the light is with you. Walk while you have the light, lest darkness overtake you; he who walks in darkness does not know where he is going. While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light.” These things Jesus spoke, and departed, and was hidden from them.
Yes GOD IS TRUTH INDEED my friend , GOD is LIGHT and JESUS IS THE LIGHT OF GOD and in him is no darkness at all .
BUT IN THE WORLD IS GROSS DARKNESS that grows only darker by the day and by the hour .
GOD IS , CHRIST IS OUR LIGHT and has translated us from the kingdom of darkness and into the Kingdom of HIS SON .
We are of the day and not of the night , the darkness . THough the darkness be all around and in many .
many now put darkness as light and the LIGHT of GOD and of HIS WORD they put as darkness .
AN ENEMY HAS DONE THIS DAVID .
for there is only one that i know of who always desired to be AS GOD
and has convinced them to heed the darkness as though it be the light .
Satan . and he can appear as an angel of light , though he BE OF DARKNESS
and his ministirs can indeed appear within christedom as ministirs of righteousness .
The delusion that is and has been groweth and takes captive the souls to a lie which will unify
all to be as one under which they will believe its love and its of GOD . BUT IT BE NEITHER . it cometh of darkness
and offers no light and the blind who say WE SEE WE SEE run right into its light but have no idea
that the only place it leadeth them is to PERDITION on the day of the LORD when HE COMETH to destroy
all who loved this lie and rejected the LOVE OF THE TRUTH BY WHICH THEY COULOD HAVE BEEN SAVED .

THE LOVE OF THE TRUTH IS THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST and its WHAT SAVES
but unto many who stagger in the darkness they proclaim and love only a lie , a love
that omits the dire need to believe on JESUS CHRIST and offers up rather a god and a christ who is THE MINSTIR OF SIN and of death .

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Day 1 Work
Day 2 Work
Day 3 Work
Day 4 Work
Day 5 Work
Day 6 Work
Day 7 Grace <--------
I think you mean "Rest" - by which we keep the Sabbath day "holy" by not working on it.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you mean "Rest" - by which we keep the Sabbath day "holy" by not working on it.
100% CORRECT on your statement here.

If anyone seeks to 'add' to the FINISHED Work of God by keeping the old law, they will die in their sin of unbelief.

Since the 7th Day speaks of Christ, then no other work can be done in the sight of God = all will be rejected.

Thus the Holy Spirit confirms the Gospel REST we all must enter into and REMAIN in = Hebrews ch4

Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.
For indeed the Gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.
For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’ ”
although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way:
“And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”;
and again in this place: “They shall not enter My rest.”

God does not give us an alternative to His Sabbath REST in CHRIST
Christ and Him alone = "It is FINISHED"

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All TEN Commandments are there in PERSON.
Yes they are in Exodus chapter 34 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.

God never called the 10 summaries in chapter 20 Ten Commandment nor do they establish the Covenant.

Words mean things!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
100% CORRECT on your statement here.

If anyone seeks to 'add' to the FINISHED Work of God by keeping the old law, they will die in their sin of unbelief.

Since the 7th Day speaks of Christ, then no other work can be done in the sight of God = all will be rejected.

Thus the Holy Spirit confirms the Gospel REST we all must enter into and REMAIN in = Hebrews ch4

Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.
For indeed the Gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.
For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’ ”
although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way:
“And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”;
and again in this place: “They shall not enter My rest.”

God does not give us an alternative to His Sabbath REST in CHRIST
Christ and Him alone = "It is FINISHED"
so then why do so many give a free pass to those who ADD TOO and take from even the book of revelation .
DIDNT GOD , CHRIST say what would happen to such folks .
YES , DOCTRINE DOES MATTER INDEED .
how many folks are under a spirit that sayeth and teaches something that adds too or takes from
example . YOU GOT folks teaching thus sayeth THE LORD that folks eventually get out of the lake of fire .
BUT DO IT SAY THAT THEY DO IN THE BOOK OF REVELATION .
i trow not .
SO WHY do they teach it as though it be so .
WHY do so many teach that UNBELIEVERS apparently will not have their part in the lake of fire
WHEN THE BOOK SAYETH THEY DO . that be adding too and taking from .
WHY . ITS PRIDE , ITS REBELLION . THEY treat the inspired words of GOD
as though The words of men ARE FAR BETTER and contain more truth . BAD END for many who do this .
I mean , AM I GOD , are you GOD , are they GOD . NOPE . SO why add too or take from and WHY SIT UNDER
clowns who do just that as though them clowns know better than GOD . OH YEAH , WE DO HAVE PROBLEMS in the house .

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes they are in Exodus chapter 34 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.

God never called the 10 summaries in chapter 20 Ten Commandment nor do they establish the Covenant.

Words mean things!
Words mean things!

"In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God and the Word was God"

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so then why do so many give a free pass to those who ADD TOO and take from even the book of revelation .
DIDNT GOD , CHRIST say what would happen to such folks .
YES , DOCTRINE DOES MATTER INDEED .
how many folks are under a spirit that sayeth and teaches something that adds too or takes from
example . YOU GOT folks teaching thus sayeth THE LORD that folks eventually get out of the lake of fire .
BUT DO IT SAY THAT THEY DO IN THE BOOK OF REVELATION .
i trow not .
SO WHY do they teach it as though it be so .
WHY do so many teach that UNBELIEVERS apparently will not have their part in the lake of fire
WHEN THE BOOK SAYETH THEY DO . that be adding too and taking from .
WHY . ITS PRIDE , ITS REBELLION . THEY treat the inspired words of GOD
as though The words of men ARE FAR BETTER and contain more truth . BAD END for many who do this .
I mean , AM I GOD , are you GOD , are they GOD . NOPE . SO why add too or take from and WHY SIT UNDER
clowns who do just that as though them clowns know better than GOD . OH YEAH , WE DO HAVE PROBLEMS in the house .
Here is God's answer to your question of 'Why?' = Jeremiah 5:30-31

“An astonishing and horrible thing
Has been committed in the land:
The prophets prophesy falsely,
And the priests rule by their own power;
And My people love to have it so.

And God asks in verse 31 = "But what will you do in the end?"

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is God's answer to your question of 'Why?' = Jeremiah 5:30-31

“An astonishing and horrible thing
Has been committed in the land:
The prophets prophesy falsely,
And the priests rule by their own power;
And My people love to have it so.

And God asks in verse 31 = "But what will you do in the end?"
BUT WHAT WILL THEY DO IN THE END .
BE DESTROYED BY GOD IS WHAT WILL COME UPON THEM AND BE THEIR END . NOT A GOOD PLACE TO BE OR SIT UNDER .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how TO know if a church is racist and of the devil .
THEY FOCUS ON THEIR RACE and blame the ills of this world on another race .
OH DARN I JUST EXPOSED BOTH THE KKK and the SOCIAL GOSPEL DUNG PILE . both are racist and both be OF THE DEVIL .
if what i wrote offends then so be it . TRUE it is .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How to know if you are being influenced by racism .
PONDER THIS .
many can see the evils of the KKK who promote the white man and blame the minorities
what many cannot see is when the reverse is in effect .
When the white man gets blamed its seen as okay
but if a black man gets the blame its seen as racist . THAT TOO is racism dudes .

Reactions: Marvelloustime