Why its important to keep the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Give it up mate….you have no scriptural support for your “Christian” Sabbath observance.
Not only do I have it, but you've been put on notice before God and all heaven:

"It is therefore the duty of the people of God to keep the Sabbath." Hebrews 4:9 Peshitta

Reactions: GerhardEbersoehn

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've heard it ain't the gluten but the glyphosate and like products they're spraying all over the crops, and I'm inclined to believe it.

I refuse to believe a dietary staple God provided to us is harmful, despite "findings" of "evidence" of celiac disease in ancient corpses, which findings no doubt were bankrolled by Monsanto to direct attention away from their poisonous practices.
You're talking over my head now.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not only do I have it, but you've been put on notice before God and all heaven:
Thank you….duly noted. My study of the scriptures is thorough because it must be. To see those who promote certain doctrines with brief reference to scripture that is taken completely out of context, proves to me that they themselves are not students of God’s word, but using selected verses supplied to them, to support what they don’t actually say. The one in Mark 2:27 is a good example.…but read in context it reveals another meaning completely.
"It is therefore the duty of the people of God to keep the Sabbath." Hebrews 4:9 Peshitta
Hebrews chapter 4 begins with the statement…
”Therefore, let us fear if, while a promise remains of entering His rest, any one of you may seem to have come short of it.

For indeed we have had good news preached to us, just as they also; but the word they heard did not profit them, because it was not united by faith in those who heard.” (NASB)

Here we see the possibility of “entering into God’s rest”….not just observing it. It is a promise that has a timeframe….a time that will end….and we have to know what that promise is, and how we attain the fulfillment of it. The “good news” preached to the Jewish nation, for the most part, fell on deaf ears.

Verse 3 continues….
”For we who have believed enter that rest, just as He has said,
“AS I SWORE IN MY WRATH,
THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST,”
although His works were finished from the foundation of the world.”
(Capital letters are used in the NASB to indicate reference to Hebrew Scripture)
Verse 6..
”Therefore, since it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly had good news preached to them failed to enter because of disobedience...”

So this is indicating that God’s anger was going to be visited upon those who had failed to enter into God’s rest because of their disobedience.…and failure to recognize their promised Messiah and observe his teachings. Only the Christians understood that the Law was now fulfilled and taken away. The Jews never got that memo…..and some Christians apparently haven’t either.

The Jews ritually observed the Sabbath day, but missed the meaning of “entering into God’s rest“ by obedience in all things pertaining to his law. So Sabbath observance was pointless for them because they didn’t understand the meaning of the greater Sabbath…the 7th day of creation that has still not concluded.

Verses 9-11…
”So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.
For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His.

Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall, through following the same example of disobedience.”

Unless we can see the big picture of what the Sabbath rest of God actually means, we will be slavishly following an outdated law without understanding why it was given.

We have ourselves rested from selfish works as Jesus himself demonstrated by the life he lived in the three and a half years he spent preaching and training his apostles.
“And he died for all so that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for him who died for them and was raised up.” (2 Cor 5:15)

Christ is “Lord of the Sabbath” because it is his rulership that will bring God’s Rest day to a triumphant conclusion…..you all need to open the window and look inside…..but you stand on the outside without seeing what is inside this law of God and what it foreshadowed. We have an amazing 1000 years of Christ’s rulership to look forward to…..but only if we have entered into God’s rest in full knowledge of what it really means.

Reactions: TheHC

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Give it up mate….you have no scriptural support for your “Christian” Sabbath observance. It is a personal choice that you have, to hold such as there is no command against it, but to teach it as an obligation…that has no biblical support at all. We can worship God any day of the week and we should.

God actually inscribed the Ten Commandments on stone tablets with his own “finger”, (Ex 31:18; Deut 9:10) and Moses threw them down in a rage against his people who were already setting themselves on a wayward course In worshipping a golden calf.

The Bible clearly states that the Law to Israel was exclusive to them…..when gentiles wanted to worship the God of the Jews, they had to become Jewish Proselytes and adopt Jewish worship, law and practice, though they were never considered to be “sons of Abraham”...as that was only by birth….something the Jews took great pride in, but failed to understand that they had to live up to Abraham’s example. (Which they never did.)

When gentiles wanted to become Christians, they did not need to convert to Judaism first…..so the law was not binding on them. It’s all there in the Bible but your indoctrination will not allow you to see what is clearly written.
The thing is Aunty, it does matter and the whole Bible points to its importance from Creation to the Heavenly Kingdom, its at the core of true worship and love for God, and we see it if we open our eyes...

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The thing is Aunty, it does matter and the whole Bible points to its importance from Creation to the Heavenly Kingdom, its at the core of true worship and love for God, and we see it if we open our eyes...

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Some refuse to have their eyes opened no matter how much scripture is used in support of the opposition’s evidence.
You guys break no law of God or men by observing whatever day you wish to honor the God you serve….I have no issue with the observance at all…the issue is that it is a requirement to hold the Jewish Sabbath, when Gentiles are under no obligation to do so. We did not convert to Judaism before becoming Christians because the Law binding Israel to a “curse” was exclusively theirs…..it is gone, but the shackles remain to this day….and you have joined them…..I simply don’t understand why….when scripture is very clear on this subject. Every day can be a day to worship the true God in all that we do and say….

Reactions: TheHC

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I DEFY ANY MAN TO SHOW FROM SCRIPTURE WHY A "GAP" IS NECESSARY WHEN THIS TRUTH CHART PLAINLY DEMONSTRATES OTHERWISE:

70 WEEKS CHART.png

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Question friend, How do you keep the Spirit of the Sabbath without keeping the letter of the law that kills?

2 Corinthians 3:6
who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Romans 7:6

But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

And it is not the ceremonial laws Paul was speaking of but was the Ten Commandments referencing the 10th commandment as an example. "7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” "

As far as you keeping the Sabbath on Saturday, and the uninformed keeping the Sabbath on Sunday, I don't think God minds at all because we do so to honor God according to our conscience. But the important thing is to ALSO bring the Sabbath into the New Covenant - keep the Spirit of the Sabbath. How?
The letter of the law kills only those guilty of transgressing the law. If you obey the law, (and this can only be accomplished through receiving Christ in us, the hope of glory, who sanctifies us and changes our mindsets and motives, ) by faith in the grace of God, obedience to all God's commandments becomes a natural fruit of relationship. How does one observe the Sabbath? How can one keep the spirit of the law as in the 7th commandment, but not the letter?

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is mostly a funny. Is this the food network?

I have type II diabetes and in the course of treatment I have talked to half a dozen dietitians and have not meet one that has enough sense to pour “sand” out of a boot. My experience with weight training diets have served me best.

As far as diet I subscribe to the Food Pyramid. Because of the type II it is the Pyramid with a few modifications. And those modifications may only apply to me, for example….

Items that will raise my sugar level the highest are…
Fish and chicken and it does not matter how it is cooked or canned. Baked, boiled, air fried, barbeque….does not matter. I do eat chicken and fish but I have to take a lot of insulin.

Bread of any type….bread, crackers, rolls and the breading in Pizza hits my sugar levels hard.
Fruits are moderate to high.

Most vegetables fresh, canned, and frozen cause moderate rises to my sugar levels.
Home made gravy is still in the moderate levels.

Low sugar levels are lean beef and pork and even bacon and sausage and eggs and raw milk.

Now on the topic of “processed foods” What is processed foods?….
In the broadest sense unless you are picking it off a tree or a vine the food is processed. If you buy it in a store it is processed.

If you raise your own livestock and feed them good natural food and butcher and package them yourself, it still processed, just good processed. Same goes for raising our own crops.

A food system that feeds something the size of the United States relies on processing to keep the food in good condition so it can be shipped and bought at the store. And in that there is good processed food and bad processed food.

It usually depends on how the food is raised plant and animal and what is added to it. They can add preservatives to keep the food from spoiling….you do not want to eat natural rotting food. But usually canning will take care of preserving, they do not need to add junk to it to preserve it.

Whether it be bread or meat or plant, some additives are added or modified GMO in growing the food or feeding it…. gluten and glyphosates…some additives are added to preserve the food….some additives are added to create a texture….some additives are added to preserve the texture…. Some are added to enhance the taste….some are added to preserve the taste….some additives are added to preserve the appearance ….some additives are added to stabilize the food.

This is how we get the long lists of additives and some of these additives are not good for our health and some people are allergic to some of the additives. But that does not mean processing food is bad, it is the additives you have to screen. Without processing the system could not feed a large populous safely.

Nothing is perfect but there are stores that make their own foods like bread, peanut butter, canned fruits and vegetables and offer higher grade deli meats. Some butcher shops you know where the meats are coming from.

Now there is a campaign against “raw milk” I have drunk it all my life….The same people will recommend 2% milk, it is the highest processed milk there is….Homogenized, pasteurized, and whatever they do to it to make it lower in fat. If you want to make raw milk have less fat just skim the cream off the top.

Then you have people that do not like animal products or are vegetarians….to each their own….LOL Green people and electric cars…Oh my! And then you go down that rabbit hole of global warming and low carbon foot prints….humor.

Last edited:

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you….duly noted. My study of the scriptures is thorough because it must be. To see those who promote certain doctrines with brief reference to scripture that is taken completely out of context, proves to me that they themselves are not students of God’s word, but using selected verses supplied to them, to support what they don’t actually say. The one in Mark 2:27 is a good example.…but read in context it reveals another meaning completely.

Hebrews chapter 4 begins with the statement…
”Therefore, let us fear if, while a promise remains of entering His rest, any one of you may seem to have come short of it.

For indeed we have had good news preached to us, just as they also; but the word they heard did not profit them, because it was not united by faith in those who heard.”
(NASB)

Here we see the possibility of “entering into God’s rest”….not just observing it. It is a promise that has a timeframe….a time that will end….and we have to know what that promise is, and how we attain the fulfillment of it. The “good news” preached to the Jewish nation, for the most part, fell on deaf ears.

Verse 3 continues….
”For we who have believed enter that rest, just as He has said,
“AS I SWORE IN MY WRATH,
THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST,”
although His works were finished from the foundation of the world.”
(Capital letters are used in the NASB to indicate reference to Hebrew Scripture)
Verse 6..
”Therefore, since it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly had good news preached to them failed to enter because of disobedience...”

So this is indicating that God’s anger was going to be visited upon those who had failed to enter into God’s rest because of their disobedience.…and failure to recognize their promised Messiah and observe his teachings. Only the Christians understood that the Law was now fulfilled and taken away. The Jews never got that memo…..and some Christians apparently haven’t either.

The Jews ritually observed the Sabbath day, but missed the meaning of “entering into God’s rest“ by obedience in all things pertaining to his law. So Sabbath observance was pointless for them because they didn’t understand the meaning of the greater Sabbath…the 7th day of creation that has still not concluded.

Verses 9-11…
”So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.
For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His.

Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall, through following the same example of disobedience.”

Unless we can see the big picture of what the Sabbath rest of God actually means, we will be slavishly following an outdated law without understanding why it was given.

We have ourselves rested from selfish works as Jesus himself demonstrated by the life he lived in the three and a half years he spent preaching and training his apostles.
“And he died for all so that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for him who died for them and was raised up.” (2 Cor 5:15)

Christ is “Lord of the Sabbath” because it is his rulership that will bring God’s Rest day to a triumphant conclusion…..you all need to open the window and look inside…..but you stand on the outside without seeing what is inside this law of God and what it foreshadowed. We have an amazing 1000 years of Christ’s rulership to look forward to…..but only if we have entered into God’s rest in full knowledge of what it really means.
When Jesus becomes our truth, does that permit us to lie?
When Jesus becomes our faithfulness, does that permit us to commit adultery?
When Jesus becomes our reward, does that permit us to rob banks?
When Jesus becomes our life, does that permit us to take life?

So, why is it that when Jesus becomes our rest, somehow you guys conclude that's permission to forget the only commandment that begins with the world "remember".

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can one keep the spirit of the law as in the 7th commandment, but not the letter?
You can keep all ten of the commandments by repenting and being filled with the Holy Spirit, something that was not available to all the OT Jews trying to keep the Ten Commandments with their evil sin nature dragging them down. The Spirit crucifies the sin nature and kills it. We are then resurrected to be slaves of righteousness. Romans 7:5-8, and Romans 6:5-7.

The Spirit of the Sabbath is ABIDING IN JESUS and keeping His commandments in 1 John 3:23-24.

I always like to add the earlier verses which is HOW we keep the commandments now. The Holy Spirit writes all the commandments both the surface commandments and the deeper parts of those commandments that make up the fruit of the Spirit.

21 Beloved, if our heart (conscience) does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. 22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.
24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Master these and you will not break any of the Old Covenant moral commandments.

Romans 14:23b "whatever is not from faith is sin."

Hebrews 10:25
25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
Because of this verse and how evil America is becoming, I go to church on Saturday and Sunday! joy:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When Jesus becomes our truth, does that permit us to lie?
When Jesus becomes our faithfulness, does that permit us to commit adultery?
When Jesus becomes our reward, does that permit us to rob banks?
When Jesus becomes our life, does that permit us to take life?

So, why is it that when Jesus becomes our rest, somehow you guys conclude that's permission to forget the only commandment that begins with the world "remember".
One can remember a lot of things that God and his son have done for us….but we are commanded to remember only one thing as Christ’s disciples….and that is to remember his sacrifice and what that means for every person who embraces it for its saving power in our faith.

That is recorded for us to read in a clear statement….but all you have are suggestions and verses that speak about the Sabbath but omit any command regarding it, except to Israel.

1 Cor 11:23-26….
”For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night on which he was going to be betrayed took a loaf, 24 and after giving thanks, he broke it and said: “This means my body,which is in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” 25 He did the same with the cup also, after they had the evening meal, saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood. Keep doing this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For whenever you eat this loaf and drink this cup, you keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he comes.”

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The letter of the law kills only those guilty of transgressing the law. If you obey the law, (and this can only be accomplished through receiving Christ in us, the hope of glory, who sanctifies us and changes our mindsets and motives, ) by faith in the grace of God, obedience to all God's commandments becomes a natural fruit of relationship. How does one observe the Sabbath? How can one keep the spirit of the law as in the 7th commandment, but not the letter?
In Romans 7:6 what does it mean to be delivered FROM the law? Are we UNDER the law or FREE from it, and why if it is the law that shows us our sin?

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry - my wife says that all the time ;)
LOL

When I lived in Arizona I was friends with an older couple who told me their doctor friend of theirs had them on some kind of diet where their bowels moved freely, probably vegetarian. Then he told them to eat one piece of bacon. They did and immediately they were both constipated! That is why I stay away from pork.

Even though it is no longer a sin to eat bacon once the gospel was freed up to go to the Gentiles (Lev. 20 below) (we go back to how it was right after the flood when man and beast could now eat meats of "everything that moved" and clean meat were separated for sacrifice and offerings to God, Gen. 9, (1 Tim. 4:4), but there are still consequences and your choice to be vegetarian is a good one.

Leviticus 20:25-26
25 You shall therefore distinguish between clean animals and unclean, between unclean birds and clean, and you shall not make yourselves abominable by beast or by bird, or by any kind of living thing that creeps on the ground, which I have separated from you as unclean. 26 And you shall be holy to Me, for I the Lord am holy, and have separated you from the peoples, that you should be Mine.

Last edited:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
FWIW…..Exodus 20 is Moses being given the 10 Commandments to give to Israel….not to anyone else.
So it was only wrong for Israelites to murder and commit adultery. The Ammonites were fine as they were?
Huh??? What on earth is that supposed to mean?
Who said that the 10 Commandments were cancelled and then magically reinstated? No one I know….though you guys come close. Paul said the law was abolished and you guys say that one law out of the 10 was magically reinstated…..go figure...?
Wow. If the ten commandments are abolished, then by what will God judge the world? The Bible says that without the law, there is no knowledge of sin. How can God judge sin without the law?
And where have you been? 90% of Christians who oppose the Sabbath agree with you claiming the whole law was abolished, but add that 9 of them were reinstated in the NT. All of you are so confused.
If God would reject them, then I will too
Fair enough. But without a "thus saith the Lord" to justify the abolition of the 4th commandment, then God hasn't rejected His own day, which He called holy.

My antipathy towards any false religion is the same….it dishonors the Father.…and his son.
Christendom owes its beliefs to the RCC, which took over all the pagan festivals and added a thin “Christian” veneer……if you think that is not a violation of 2 Cor 6:14-18, then I don’t know what is.
In all fairness, disobeying God's commandments dishonors the Father and Son more.
And I would clarify that apostate Christianity is that which has inherited RCC beliefs, one of which is the desecration of the Sabbath. Part of that is in the attempt to change God's laws, as foretold would happen by the prophet Daniel that the Antichrist would "think to change times and laws". Only think of course, because no-one has the authority to change the laws of God.

It appears you have missed post #1253. I mention it because you haven't commented, which is surprising because we had been going over the question for a few pages. I answered the question for you. You're welcome. While you're at it, include 1250 and
In Romans 7:6 what does it mean to be delivered FROM the law? Are we UNDER the law or FREE from it, and why if it is the law that shows us our sin?
Jesus died in our place to satisfy the just requirements of the law, "the wages of sin is death", and "the soul the sins shall die". Every Christian should be familiar with those verses. So while we are and forever be obliged to obey God's commandments, (after all, He is God), through the blood of the Lamb we are set free from the condemnation of the law. The only laws that were abolished are those that pointed to Christ as Redeemer.
That's basic gospel.
What we do not need to do any more as Christians is to strive in our own strength to obey that which in the flesh, or carnal nature, is impossible. But by faith Christ clothes us in His righteousness as a gift, not as a covering of sin, but as a deliverance from its power.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here is a very basic but accurate description of the gospel, all from the NT.
EVERYONE SHOULD UNDERSTAND THIS.

3 LAWS

"For I delight in
Law One: ..........The law of God.
after the inward man".....(Romans 7:22)

Paul has nothing but love and respect for God's law. He considers it 'holy, just and good'. It is Paul's earnest and deepest desire to honour that law, and to keep all the commandments,

" but I see another law in my members, warring against the law (of God) of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to...." (v23cont.)

Law Two:..........."The law of sin...

"...which is in my members.

Paul delights in obedience, but finds that in the carnal nature resides a law which makes it impossible, the law of sin. Paul confesses his wretchedness and guilt. "Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" he cries.

"I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh, the law of sin." (vs 25)

But if Paul is bound by the law of sin, despite his best intentions to obey the law of God, how then can he overcome? The answer is just 2 verses later.
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For...

Law Three:..........the law of the Spirit of life...

in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death." Romans 8:1,2.

Three laws.
The law of God which is holy, just, and good.
The law of sin which binds the carnal man making it impossible to obey the law of God.
The law of the Spirit of life which through the grace and power of God makes it possible for the reborn child of God to obey the law of God, if he relies on and walks after the Spirit and not after the flesh.

The law of sin has no power over them who are completely surrendered to Christ. That is why elsewhere Paul can assert that to those who walk in the Spirit they are transformed by the renewing of their minds, and are recreated into the image of the character of Christ. A character that is obedient and a mind (like Christ's) which delights in the law of God and rejoices that by faith in the power and grace of God he may be obedient to all the commandments.

KJV Romans 8:3-9
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of The God, neither indeed can be.
8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

How then does one know if he's walking in the Spirit? God obedience to God's commandments.

"If ye love Me, keep My commandments".

The laws of God are not abolished. The carnal nature is, if you have faith.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One can remember a lot of things that God and his son have done for us….but we are commanded to remember only one thing as Christ’s disciples….and that is to remember his sacrifice and what that means for every person who embraces it for its saving power in our faith.

That is recorded for us to read in a clear statement….but all you have are suggestions and verses that speak about the Sabbath but omit any command regarding it, except to Israel.

1 Cor 11:23-26….
”For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night on which he was going to be betrayed took a loaf, 24 and after giving thanks, he broke it and said: “This means my body,which is in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” 25 He did the same with the cup also, after they had the evening meal, saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood. Keep doing this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For whenever you eat this loaf and drink this cup, you keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he comes.”
Yes, but no amount of reflection on what Jesus has done for us leads us to conclude because He is our truth, faithfulness, and reward, we can lie, cheat, and steal...neither should we conclude entrance into His rest permits us to forget the only commandment that begins with "remember" ;)

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus died in our place to satisfy the just requirements of the law, "the wages of sin is death", and "the soul the sins shall die". Every Christian should be familiar with those verses. So while we are and forever be obliged to obey God's commandments, (after all, He is God), through the blood of the Lamb we are set free from the condemnation of the law. The only laws that were abolished are those that pointed to Christ as Redeemer.
That's basic gospel.
What we do not need to do any more as Christians is to strive in our own strength to obey that which in the flesh, or carnal nature, is impossible. But by faith Christ clothes us in His righteousness as a gift, not as a covering of sin, but as a deliverance from its power.
Nicely said! :)

I don't believe you know that all of Leviticus 23 was fulfilled by Christ. God's rest is ours as we abide in Him.

And the reason why we are not under the law anymore is because we are free from sin and no longer in the flesh, but in the Spirit. And I do not mean as some Calvinists would describe as His blood covering our sin while we sin. God will not be mocked! Because Jesus cleansed our very nature to be free from sin and because in doing so God also wrote His moral laws on our conscience, we can now be lead by our conscience. That is why we can do whatever we do not condemn. It is very simple. His yoke is easy and His burden is light. 1 John 3:21

1 John 3:8-9 This is our test.
8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

But I'm glad your conscience tells you to worship on Saturdays, otherwise I wouldn't have anywhere to go for fellowship on both days of the weekend! ;)

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe the question should be How rather than If.

Jesus gave us an example, multiple actually HOW he kept the Sabbath and what he did on those days that the Pharisees considered in opposition to Moses' law.
And should those things Jesus did on the Sabbath be only consigned to that particular day?

The Sabbath wasn't given to man for self greedy purposes. It was given so we could serve others and give others rest.
So there are those that require being given respite, and there are those who give respite to others.
And it is always more blessed to give than to recieve.

We have found spiritual rest in Jesus.. Daily, we aught to give others both spiritual and physical rest... Daily.
There are plenty of sick people in this world that could use our help everyday.

Just saying
Hugs

What a lot of sick people (and we're all old age-positive, btw) could really use is a whole day of nothing but rest and worship, and since God set aside a certain day of the week for just such a purpose, the question is neither how nor if, because the answer came before the question ever arose.

Just saying.
Hugs