Why its important to keep the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Memorize it well, so you won't have forgotten it come judgment day and you will get the chance to rub it under God's nose

And this shall be a statute forever for you, that atonement may be made for the people of Israel once in the year because of all their sins.” And Aaron did as the Lord commanded Moses. Leviticus 16:34

LOL
Christians do not sacrifice animals and play with the guts and rub the blood on themselves.
Christians do not observe the Sabbath.
Christians do not sell their daughters as sex slaves.
On Judgment Day will Christ be disappointed about that?

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
When taken together, this passage along with the other Gospels shows that Jesus died just before sunset on Friday aka "Preparation Day" (sunset marks the change from one day to the next) and was taken down, wrapped, and laid in the tomb, and afterward when the sun set and Sabbath began, Christians and Jews alike ceased from their work - the Christian women who followed Jesus would not even break the Sabbath to anoint His body with spices and ointments.

After the Sabbath sun had set, sometime before early morning when the women came with the spices and ointments, Jesus had risen - and now offers to us rest in Him, which the "spirit" of the Sabbath commandment. The "letter" of the Sabbath commandment is resting every Sabbath day which is the sign that we're resting inwardly in Jesus. It's not about "legalism" - the Sabbath is a the "sign" between Him and us that He is our Creator Redeemer Who both created everything in six days and rested the seventh day, and now offers to recreate in us a new heart and give us rest in Him. :)
At first I felt like ignore this narrative of your own, in view of the hundreds of pertinent Bible Text answers I have given and which YOU MUST HAVE READ if you had the weakest of Christian guts in you. . . which posts you OBVIOUSLY have read and I bet did study and I promise, despised and therefore discarded and ignored TO SAVE YOUR LIGHT-SHY SKIN.
I AM ASHAMED FOR YOU DIVERTING TO THIS KIND OF CRAP AFTER ALL.
I'll just ask you one question again - knowing, you will be too cowardly to answer it with unadulterated Scripture. . . Question: QUOTE THE SCRIPTURE OF <this passage along with the other Gospels shows that Jesus died just before sunset on Friday aka "Preparation Day">!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
And this shall be a statute forever for you, that atonement may be made for the people of Israel once in the year because of all their sins.” And Aaron did as the Lord commanded Moses. Leviticus 16:34

LOL
Christians do not sacrifice animals and play with the guts and rub the blood on themselves.
Christians do not observe the Sabbath.
Christians do not sell their daughters as sex slaves.
On Judgment Day will Christ be disappointed about that?
So is this how and what you are going to taunt God with? Well it's a lot more to memorize and a lot more you will be held accountable for --- IT REEKS OF HYPOCRISY AND SELF-RIGHTEOUSNESS EVEN TO ME.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At first I felt like ignore this narrative of your own, in view of the hundreds of pertinent Bible Text answers I have given and which YOU MUST HAVE READ if you had the weakest of Christian guts in you. . . which posts you OBVIOUSLY have read and I bet did study and I promise, despised and therefore discarded and ignored TO SAVE YOUR LIGHT-SHY SKIN.
I AM ASHAMED FOR YOU DIVERTING TO THIS KIND OF CRAP AFTER ALL.
I'll just ask you one question again - knowing, you will be too cowardly to answer it with unadulterated Scripture. . . Question: QUOTE THE SCRIPTURE OF <this passage along with the other Gospels shows that Jesus died just before sunset on Friday aka "Preparation Day">!

Well you better be careful, he is right on this one…..
Irony or planning.

Christ had an honorary Passover meal on Thursday, because He would not be around for the actual Passover meal on Friday

The Day of Preparation was a busy day. The reason they call it the Day of Preparation is because the Jews are preparing for Passover, including the Passover meal. The Passover meal which would be timed so that all could be eaten before sunset. So Christ and the Passover lamb are killed around the same time....on Friday. The evening that Christ was laid to rest was the beginning of Passover. Passover and the Saturday Jewish Sabbath started on the same day that year.

The long version with all the scriptures

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Well you better be careful, he is right on this one…..
Irony or planning.

Christ had an honorary Passover meal on Thursday, because He would not be around for the actual Passover meal on Friday

The Day of Preparation was a busy day. The reason they call it the Day of Preparation is because the Jews are preparing for Passover, including the Passover meal. The Passover meal which would be timed so that all could be eaten before sunset. So Christ and the Passover lamb are killed around the same time....on Friday. The evening that Christ was laid to rest was the beginning of Passover. Passover and the Saturday Jewish Sabbath started on the same day that year.
Your long spin version indeed and, NO Scripture. . .as always.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Memorize it well, so you won't have forgotten it come judgment day and you will get the chance to rub it under God's nose
Why would you want to be under the curse of the Law?

Galatians 3:10
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse;

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Incorrect. Read the scripture carefully...
KJV Genesis 2:1-3
1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
God finished his active creation and rested from that, having completed the 6th day and finalizing it all, he declared that all he had accomplished was “very good”…..so rested on the 7th day to allow all that he had created to come to together to complete his purpose.

Since there is no declaration that the 7th day has ended, we can see through references to “God’s rest” that it is a period of time set aside for all contingencies to be dealt with.…and is still running.
When God’s kingdom rules for the last thousand years of this period of time, all will have returned to God’s original purpose….to have a perfect race of obedient, sinless humans to take care of his creation…..all made in his image and with his beautiful qualities so that they will look after his earth and its creatures as he would……all that we lost in the beginning will be returned to the redeemed human race…..the only question we have now is….will we be among them?
When did Jesus bless, sanctify, and make holy the Sabbath?
There is no Sabbath observance by any human before Moses wrote it down as a command for Israel in his law. All Israel were under obligation to observe the Sabbath as a day of rest from their labors, as God rested from his. But God’s law to Israel was not binding on Gentiles or Christians in general. They were under the law of the Christ now…with a new covenant in force…..the law of love was observed by the dictates of a Bible trained conscience, rather than by a written code.

Every day can be a Sabbath if we refrain from vain works and engage in the Lord’s work. Jesus showed by his actions what the Sabbath was and did good works every day. He wasn’t governed by the nit-picking laws of the Pharisees who went to great lengths to show their piety, but who neglected all the important things.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You didn't answer the question. When did Jesus bless and sanctify and make holy the Sabbath day? The answer is in the scriptures from Genesis that I posted.
That is just it Brakeite….Jesus never did. His Father is the Creator and creation was his project….Jesus was a co-worker. But the resting, as I mentioned was only from his creative works…..he did not rest during the time period that followed the close of the 6th day.

John 5:15-17…after healing a man on the Sabbath….(Jesus was a Jew and still under law at that time)
”The man went away and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well. 16 For this reason the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because he was doing these things during the Sabbath. 17 But he answered them: “My Father has kept working until now, and I keep working.”

There are more important trees to bark up…..the Sabbath is no longer required of Christians….though anyone can have a day of rest….to worship and concentrate on spiritual things…..there is no law against that.

Please provide scripture that says it is a requirement…and that God’s early servants observed a Sabbath….Who observed a Sabbath before Moses?

• Love
Reactions: TheHC

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Who observed a Sabbath before Moses?
Who knows? But "GOD blessed and hallowed and finished and rested "THE Seventh DAY-a-day-of-rest" of GOD'S own resting. In Genesis 2:2,3 -- in 2 verses only -- is it 5 times if I remember correctly, the Word of GOD uses the word "day" - "yohm". For what if not for GOD'S <keeping> or <observance> of HIS Sabbath "a sabbath-day-of-HIS-OWN-Rest"?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I
What was the Sabbath called before it was called the Sabbath?
Please find us another name mentioned in the Scriptures…..I have never come across one.
Who knows? But "GOD blessed and hallowed and finished and rested "THE Seventh DAY-a-day-of-rest" of GOD'S own resting. In Genesis 2:2,3 -- in 2 verses only -- is it 5 times if I remember correctly, the Word of GOD uses the word "day" - "yohm". For what if not for GOD'S <keeping> or <observance> of HIS Sabbath "a sabbath-day-of-HIS-OWN-Rest"?
And what did your studies uncover as to the meaning of this word in Hebrew….”yohm”…?

Strongs gives the meaning of “yohm” (yôm) as….
  1. day, time, year
    1. day (as opposed to night)
    2. day (24 hour period)
      1. as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1
      2. as a division of time
        1. a working day, a day's journey
    3. days, lifetime (pl.)
    4. time, period (general)
    5. year
    6. temporal references
      1. today
      2. yesterday
      3. tomorrow”

So it doesn’t just mean a 24 hour “day”….it can mean a period of time, the length of which is not necessarily stated. That being the case, the creative “days” could well have been thousands, millions or even billions of earth years long…..the infinite Creator has no time constraints. All we know from the Genesis account is that God allotted certain periods of time to bring aspects of his creation into being in stages that he called “days”, and that he concluded each period with a declaration of his satisfaction thus far. He is a God of order.

The other thing that most people read right over is how the “days” began and ended. Jews counted their days from sundown to sundown and the Genesis “days” began with an “evening”….but ended with a “morning”…that is not a “day” to a Jew….it is half a day….so again, an indication that the ”days” in Genesis were not what most people think they were.

So God’s Sabbath “rest” was not 24 hours either, but as it was with all of his other “days”, it began, but there is no indication that it has ended…..if the creative days were not 24 hour periods (and the Bible and science do not argue with that) then there was a purpose to the 7th day that seems to escape most “Christians” who insist on leaning on their own understanding. (Prov 3:5)
Jehovah is a Creator….not a magician.

If the 7th day was set aside for a purpose, and at the end of that period, all returns to the way it should have been at the beginning, once mankind and the angels learned the value of obedience, and the proper use of free will, then we can expect the final declaration to also be affirmed as “very good”…..why? Because the lessons learned in this time period go down in the annuls of God’s records as precedents that serve for all eternity to come. This record will then be used to instantly stop any other free willed being from taking the steps that the first rebels did.
God’s response to the rebellion was masterful…taking all the time necessary to bring his original purpose to a perfect conclusion…..setting all of his children in heaven and on earth, a model that they will never forget, and Sovereignty that will never again be challenged.

Nothing will then prevent the Creator from fulfilling his desire to extend his creation in any way he wants.
Who knows what he has in store for the future? Was this tiny planet all that he purposed in such a vast Universe? He doesn’t tell us, but we will find out, only if we have learned the value of obedience in this time period ourselves.
That is what being “saved” means…..it means that everlasting life will be granted to those who pass the final judgment on this world…..it doesn’t mean going to heaven, (except for the elect, who are chosen by God to rule with his Christ) it means everlasting life right here where God created us to live…in the most beautiful conditions we can imagine. We are ‘programmed’ to live in paradise, but here on earth as Rev 21:2-4 tells us….

”I also saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God and prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. 4 And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.

This is the final outcome….with all the things that cause pain and suffering removed forever….and death being defeated as “the last enemy”…..who could want more?

• Love
Reactions: TheHC

Duck Muscles

Mar 19, 2024
Europe
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
Strangely, no one in the Bible is said to have observed a Sabbath till God gave Israel his law. Moses was the first one….so Adam was not instructed to hold a Sabbath observance….nor Noah…nor Abraham…..nor Elijah.

The Sabbath mentioned by God at creation is the principle behind the weekly Sabbath given to the Jews, but they are two completely different things. The 7th “day” of creation has not yet ended. Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath because it is the 1000 year rulership of his Kingdom that brings the 7th day to its successful conclusion. At the end of each creative day, God declared his satisfaction with his progress thus far…..there is no declaration for the conclusion of the 7th day because it is still running.

The law, along with its Sabbath, was given only to Jews…it was not binding on Gentiles.
There is no Sabbath law for Christians ever commanded…..how do you explain that?
I think you are missing a connection that links both old and new testaments when you make such declarations regarding Sabbath observance.

In Mark 2 we are told the Sabbath was made for man.

That day made for man is revealed in Genesis 2:1-3.

Which would mean prior to the identification of Jew or Gentile, Adam and Eve kept the Sabbath God made for man in the beginning.

Reactions: Brakelite

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think you are missing a connection that links both old and new testaments when you make such declarations regarding Sabbath observance.
There is a connection but it is a principle, not a command in Genesis…..God is said to have rested and blessed the 7th day, but there is not a single mention of any human observing a Sabbath till God gave his laws to Israel…..a law code that was not binding on anyone else but them.
In Mark 2 we are told the Sabbath was made for man.
Why was the Sabbath made for man? In Genesis, it was a period of time for God to bring about his first purpose for mankind, which had been interrupted by the rebellion in Eden. God had allowed the 7th day to run its course to show any problems associated with the use or abuse of free will…..which was first manifested in the spirit realm, and spread to mankind on earth.

For Israel, it was to act as an enforced rest day, to recharge the batteries and wind down after 6 days of work….but only the Jews were required to observe it. None of God’s faithful servant before Moses were ever commanded to observe the Sabbath. Please find scripture that says that they did…..it is assumed by those who want to observe it, and to enforce it on others as a requirement for Christians, when it never was.
Christians are not under Jewish law.

Do you remember the circumcision issue that the apostles had to sort out?
When Gentiles Christians were being pressured by their Jewish brother to follow the Law of Moses and be circumcised, it was causing a lot of arguments.
So the apostles and elders in Jerusalem, met to sort it out….they considered everything prayerfully and with guidance from the holy spirit, they came to a unanimous conclusion and that decision was binding on all Christians…..the law of Moses was not binding on Gentile Christians because these had not converted to Judaism, but to Christianity…..under a new covenant, and the law of the Christ.
Their decision is recorded in Acts 15:28-29…

”For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you except these necessary things: 29 to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you!”

There was no reason to keep a law that was now obsolete. All of the “necessary things” outlined by the apostles, pertained to Gentiles because the Jews already held to these principles as they were taught under the old covenant. So no circumcision, no Sabbath, or any Jewish practice was forced on Gentile Christians.
There is no scripture that says otherwise. Having the same requirements for all Christians was to unite them as one body in Christ. (Eph 2:15)
That day made for man is revealed in Genesis 2:1-3.

Which would mean prior to the identification of Jew or Gentile, Adam and Eve kept the Sabbath God made for man in the beginning.
The principle upon which the weekly Jewish Sabbath was held is based on Genesis, but the Sabbath that God blessed in Genesis is not the Sabbath that the Jews were commanded to observe. (Romans 7:6)

In case you were not aware, Jews were rather notorious for their inordinate love of money, and prominence, which became somewhat of a national character trait….it led to being involved in lucrative business enterprises for the wealthy, and underhanded tactics for the criminals who could not make themselves rich by legal means….e.g. the tax collectors.

Its the reason why Jesus threw the money changers out of the Temple, for extorting money for the animals that the Jews had to bring to the Temple for sacrifice. Some had journeyed long distances and it was more convenient to buy the animal right there at the Temple….but they were over charged. Jesus called it a den of thieves and threw them out with their animals.
So for Jews it put the brakes on their own interests, and concentrated on God for one day of the week.

All the scriptural details for why we are not required to observe the Sabbath are explained in post #1156.

There is no scripture that forbids a Sabbath observance if one is inclined to want to do that…..but there is no requirement to do so, as the Jews were obligated to….that is what Scripture teaches.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a connection but it is a principle, not a command in Genesis…..God is said to have rested and blessed the 7th day, but there is not a single mention of any human observing a Sabbath till God gave his laws to Israel…..a law code that was not binding on anyone else but them.

Sis, I frankly can't understand why this and so many other arguments (not necessarily from yourself, of course) are made in objection to only the 4th commandment.

Am I being unreasonable?
(I ask this only in the academic sense.)

It seems quite often to be related to the idea that the keeping of a certain day of the week reserved as one devoted particularly to rest and worship is not intuitively or practically moral.

But, as I have brought to folks' attention before, anyone who's been to a foreign mission field will tell you that the morality we find to be so practical and intuitive in the west and many of its former colonial interests is not necessarily considered so in many of the less prosperous and/or affluent countries of the world.

It seems intuitive enough to me that if, as science is beginning to bear out, the biological circaseptan rhythm of working six days and resting for one tends to lengthen and improve the quality of life, then wouldn't declining the opportunity to do so be tantamount to at least violating the principle of the 6th commandment—that human life is sacred, and well worth enriching and preserving? The Lord seems to make at least one object of the entire moral law, including the 4th commandment, one of just that very principle in the following statement:

Deuteronomy 5:29-33 — O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever! Go say to them, Get you into your tents again. But as for thee, stand thou here by me, and I will speak unto thee all the commandments, and the statutes, and the judgments, which thou shalt teach them, that they may do them in the land which I give them to possess it. Ye shall observe to do therefore as the LORD your God hath commanded you: ye shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left. Ye shall walk in all the ways which the LORD your God hath commanded you, that ye may live, and that it may be well with you, and that ye may prolong your days in the land which ye shall possess.

:)

• Love
Reactions: Brakelite