Why John 6:37 is grossly misunderstood and misapplied

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

Nevertheless, my belief is not heretical by God's estimation...because it is based on biblical truth.

Nope.
You are a heretic according to the entire Church and scripture. You are more of a Muslim or Jew than you are a Christian because of your Antichrist views of God.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nevertheless, my belief is not heretical by God's estimation...because it is based on biblical truth.

Nope.
So then what do you believe predestination is based on if not your foreseen faith?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am in good company with Paul in being attacked as a heretic by you.

Act 24:14, But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:

re #101.

D

Dave L

I am in good company with Paul in being attacked as a heretic by you.

Act 24:14, But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:
You are not in Paul's company. He condemned the man of sin and John says you have his spirit.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to know your answer to that question first.

Sure. The answer is simple: Nothing. This is one of the great mysteries of God that cannot be explained, and in my opinion we honestly have no right demanding an answer to from God. He is the Creator and Sustainer of all things, and is free to dispense grace however he sees fit. If I must give an answer, it would be that God predestines based on what will bring Him maximum glory, for that is the REAL goal of salvation; God's glory.

Ok, so now your answer.

Reactions: Dave L

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it is based on foreknowledge of whether we will have faith; for nothing as the basis of foreknowledge is an invalid answer: foreknowledge has to be based on something or it has nothing to do with knowledge of anything; but rather would be a predetermined choice based on no knowledge whatsoever.

D

Dave L

Yes, it is based on foreknowledge of whether we will have faith; for nothing as the basis of foreknowledge is an invalid answer: foreknowledge has to be based on something or it has nothing to do with knowledge fo anything but a predetermined choice based on no knowledge whatsoever.
= foreseen self righteousness.

Reactions: Mjh29

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
= foreseen self righteousness.
So now faith in Jesus is proclaimed to be self-righteousness by you...

This makes me agree wholeheartedly with the doctrine of Total Depravity...for this kind of depraved thinking would not exist without it being a reality.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it is based on foreknowledge of whether we will have faith; for nothing as the basis of foreknowledge is an invalid answer: foreknowledge has to be based on something or it has nothing to do with knowledge fo anything but a predetermined choice based on no knowledge whatsoever.

I'm sorry but this answer is not valid either. With this same logic, I could tell you that there is no possible way that God created the universe from nothing; nothing can come from nothing. And yet here we are. God is not like us in power and ability, nor in the sense of choices and decisions; there is nothing that spurns Him to do anything other than His good pleasure and glory.

Also, I will ask again;
So, if you believe that we are saved because we attain a foreseen faith, that we are saved because we do something, then you must believe in works righteousness.

Is this what you believe? Works righteousness?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry but this answer is not valid either. With this same logic, I could tell you that there is no possible way that God created the universe from nothing; nothing can come from nothing. And yet here we are. God is not like us in power and ability, nor in the sense of choices and decisions; there is nothing that spurns Him to do anything other than His good pleasure and glory.

Also, I will ask again;
So, if you believe that we are saved because we attain a foreseen faith, that we are saved because we do something, then you must believe in works righteousness.

Is this what you believe? Works righteousness?
Having faith in Jesus is mutually exclusive to works according to

Eph 2:8, For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9, Not of works, lest any man should boast.

This is very basic and I'm surprised that you don't know it.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With this same logic, I could tell you that there is no possible way that God created the universe from nothing; nothing can come from nothing.
By all means show this doctrine by the same logic.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Having faith in Jesus is mutually exclusive to works according to

Eph 2:8, For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9, Not of works, lest any man should boast.

This is very basic and I'm surprised that you don't know it.

this is exactly my point, and is the complete opposite of saying that God chooses based on foreseen faith. I did know this, and this was my very point; that predestination cannot be based on foreseen faith, otherwise it is of works, which these verses clearly state against. So either your logic was wrong or these verses are. I have to go with the verses.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The obvious answer is that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of the Lord...

A preacher is therefore indispensable according to Romans 10.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The obvious answer is that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of the Lord...

A preacher is therefore indispensable according to Romans 10.

So the preacher is the one who gives faith?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith is more of a reaction if you do not want to consider it to be a choice that we make.

The same heat that melts the butter hardens the clay.

Does the clay make a choice to be hardened; and does the butter make a choice to melt?

We don't know; but it should be clear that the butter melts because it is butter and the clay hardens because it is clay.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith is more of a reaction if you do not want to consider it to be a choice that we make.

The same heat that melts the butter hardens the clay.

Does the clay make a choice to be hardened; and does the butter make a choice to melt?

We don't know; but it should be clear that the butter melts because it is butter and the clay hardens because it is clay.

We do know, and the answer is no, no the clay does not make the choice to be hardened while the butter chooses to melt. This more than anything you've said illustrates what I am trying to say; no amount of choice or reaction can make the clay melt, or the butter harden; it is beyond their power, just as choosing saving faith is beyond the power of our deprived wills.

And regarding you definition of faith as a reaction; the question is a reaction to what?