Why should we spend holidays with family when they don't care?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tom55

Love your neighbor as yourself
Sep 9, 2013
I know many people who complain about having to spend the holidays with family members. The only time they are in the same room together all year long is during the holidays. So why do we spend holidays with family that don't seem to care about us all year long and then pretty much ignore you when you are together with them for a few short hours in the same room? Wouldn't it be better to spend that time with the people who want to be around you? My friend decided to start spending the holidays with friends and family that wanted to be around him and regularly spoke to him all year long. After several years of not going to certain family members homes (the ones who ignored him) he was accused of not caring about them because he wasn't spending the holidays with them anymore, even though they didn't talk to him when he was in the same room with them. What should a person do?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I think I'd just be honest and tell them why then give them another chance to rectify the situation if they care to...but they prolly won't :unsure:

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
Angelina said:
I think I'd just be honest and tell them why then give them another chance to rectify the situation if they care to...but they prolly won't :unsure:
Good advise and that has been done. You are right, they didn't rectify the situation. It's been going on for years.....thanks for advise.

Dan57 said:
I reckon that's why Christmas cards were created :)
I guess I should have clarified what I meant by holidays; Independence Day, memorial day, thanksgiving and Christmas....throw a few birthdays in there. So they get together 6-8 times per year (at most) and it's always the same situation. I think my friend has decided to reach out more to friends/family that care to be around him. He has learned that his family aren't necessarily his friends and he has more friends that care to be around time than family . It's sad.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
tom55 said:
I know many people who complain about having to spend the holidays with family members. The only time they are in the same room together all year long is during the holidays. So why do we spend holidays with family that don't seem to care about us all year long and then pretty much ignore you when you are together with them for a few short hours in the same room? Wouldn't it be better to spend that time with the people who want to be around you? My friend decided to start spending the holidays with friends and family that wanted to be around him and regularly spoke to him all year long. After several years of not going to certain family members homes (the ones who ignored him) he was accused of not caring about them because he wasn't spending the holidays with them anymore, even though they didn't talk to him when he was in the same room with them. What should a person do?
Sounds like a question for Dr. Laura. My family consists of liberals (my wife and her parents) and conservatives (me and my parents). And despite all efforts to suppress political conversation, it never fails to dominate the conversations, often with enflamed passions. If that weren't bad enough, Obama's website recommended ways that people could promote Obamacare at the Thanksgiving dinner table and at least one of my in-laws took that advice to heart and soured the gathering with nauseating Democrat party propaganda. I lost my cool. I asked my wife to call Dr. Laura to get some advice on how to handle future holiday gatherings where this happens, but it takes some time to get through the waiting list to get on the air. But she'll get through eventually and I'm sure we'll get some practical advice we can use.

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
This Vale Of Tears said:
Sounds like a question for Dr. Laura. My family consists of liberals (my wife and her parents) and conservatives (me and my parents). And despite all efforts to suppress political conversation, it never fails to dominate the conversations, often with enflamed passions. If that weren't bad enough, Obama's website recommended ways that people could promote Obamacare at the Thanksgiving dinner table and at least one of my in-laws took that advice to heart and soured the gathering with nauseating Democrat party propaganda. I lost my cool. I asked my wife to call Dr. Laura to get some advice on how to handle future holiday gatherings where this happens, but it takes some time to get through the waiting list to get on the air. But she'll get through eventually and I'm sure we'll get some practical advice we can use.

Well at least your family talks to each other. The only thing his family does is say "Hi" if they happen to be in the same room. He and his wife are great people and I have known them for 20+ years. He has always been very Christian like toward them but I don't think most of them go to church. Maybe that's the issue. I am just looking for alternative advise to give him; other then what I have already given. Trying to, as they say, "pick you all's brains" for alternative ideas. :rolleyes:

I went to one of his family events. I observed what he was talking about so I feel for him. :(