Why the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
image.jpg 1. The Bible is inspired by God

“every Writing [is] God-breathed, and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for setting aright, for instruction that [is] in righteousness, that the man of God may be fitted — for every good work having been completed.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭3:16-17‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

“this first knowing, that no prophecy of the Writing doth come of private exposition, for not by will of man did ever prophecy come, but by the Holy Spirit borne on holy men of God spake.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭1:20-21‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

These are ten key points, on How we got the Bible.

Reactions: Wynona and amadeus

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
View attachment 20639 1. The Bible is inspired by God

“every Writing [is] God-breathed, and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for setting aright, for instruction that [is] in righteousness, that the man of God may be fitted — for every good work having been completed.”

“this first knowing, that no prophecy of the Writing doth come of private exposition, for not by will of man did ever prophecy come, but by the Holy Spirit borne on holy men of God spake.”

Nice post Matt, although I question 2000 languages that do not have the Bible, we have nearly completed the assignment at Mat 24:14.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
View attachment 20639 1. The Bible is inspired by God

NOT sure where you got your information – but I can only hazard to guess that it was from a Protestant source.
Unfortunately for you – this information is not only incomplete – some of it is false and misleading . . .

For example:
The Bible IS inspired by God – but HOW do you know this?
In other words – WHO told you it was?

2. The Bible is compiled of 72 Bools7 of them were deleted from the OT Canon – along with portions of Esther and Daniel at the whim of your Protestant Fathers in the 16th century.

3. The OT was written in Hebrew – and it was translated into Greek about 200 years before Christ. This version, known as the Septuagint because it was translated by 70 scholars This is the version, which INCLUDES the 7 Books known as the Deuterocanonical Book is the one that Jesus and the NT writers studied from. We KNOW this by the almost 200 references to it on the pages of the NT.

4. The 72 Books of the OT were paty of the OPEN Jewish Canon during the life of Jesus Christ. The OT Canon was closed at the rabbinical school at Jabneh not long after the 2nd Jewish Revolt in the early 2nd century. It was decided that the 7 Deuterocanonical Books should be removed after debate about their effectiveness on Christian converts. The main advocate for this was Rabbi Akiva who had earlier pronounced that the “REAL” Messiah was a man named Simon Kokkbar. So – YOUR Protestant OT Canon was declared by a POST-Christ Jewish council by a FALSE Prophet (Akiva) who proclaimed a FALSE Christ (Kokkbar).

The Canon of Scripture as a whole (72 Books) was declared by the Catholic Church at the Council of Rome in 382.
- It was reiterated at the - 11 years after that, it was confirmed at the Synod of Hippo (393).
- 4 years later, at the Council (or Synod) of Carthage (397), it was yet again confirmed.
- 7 years later, in 405, in a letter from Pope Innocent I to Exsuperius, Bishop of Toulouse, he reiterated the canon.
- 14 years after that, at the 2nd Council (Synod) of Carthage (419) the canon was again formally confirmed.
- The Canon was closed at the Council of Trent in the 16th century because of the perversions happening within Protestantism and the random editing and deleting of books from the Canon.

5. The Bible was transcribed by the Catholic Church down through the centuries until the iinvention of the printing press in the 15th century.It waas also the Catholic Church that added Chapter and Verse in the Middle Ages.

6. You got this on right . . .

7. You got this on right also. . .

8. The Dead Sea Scrolls ALSO confirm the usage and reliability of the Septuagint that contains the Deuterocanonical Books that were deleted by Protestants.

9. Probably correct.

10. In AD 200 – there was NO complete Canon of the Bible yet – as the 1st time it was officially declared was at the Council of Rome in 382 (see #4 above). So this one is ALSO wrong . . .

Reactions: Marymog

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NOT sure where you got your information – but I can only hazard to guess that it was from a Protestant source.
Unfortunately for you – this information is not only incomplete – some of it is false and misleading . . .

For example:
The Bible IS inspired by God – but HOW do you know this?
In other words – WHO told you it was?

2. The Bible is compiled of 72 Bools7 of them were deleted from the OT Canon – along with portions of Esther and Daniel at the whim of your Protestant Fathers in the 16th century.

3. The OT was written in Hebrew – and it was translated into Greek about 200 years before Christ. This version, known as the Septuagint because it was translated by 70 scholars This is the version, which INCLUDES the 7 Books known as the Deuterocanonical Book is the one that Jesus and the NT writers studied from. We KNOW this by the almost 200 references to it on the pages of the NT.

4. The 72 Books of the OT were paty of the OPEN Jewish Canon during the life of Jesus Christ. The OT Canon was closed at the rabbinical school at Jabneh not long after the 2nd Jewish Revolt in the early 2nd century. It was decided that the 7 Deuterocanonical Books should be removed after debate about their effectiveness on Christian converts. The main advocate for this was Rabbi Akiva who had earlier pronounced that the “REAL” Messiah was a man named Simon Kokkbar. So – YOUR Protestant OT Canon was declared by a POST-Christ Jewish council by a FALSE Prophet (Akiva) who proclaimed a FALSE Christ (Kokkbar).

The Canon of Scripture as a whole (72 Books) was declared by the Catholic Church at the Council of Rome in 382.
- It was reiterated at the - 11 years after that, it was confirmed at the Synod of Hippo (393).
- 4 years later, at the Council (or Synod) of Carthage (397), it was yet again confirmed.
- 7 years later, in 405, in a letter from Pope Innocent I to Exsuperius, Bishop of Toulouse, he reiterated the canon.
- 14 years after that, at the 2nd Council (Synod) of Carthage (419) the canon was again formally confirmed.
- The Canon was closed at the Council of Trent in the 16th century because of the perversions happening within Protestantism and the random editing and deleting of books from the Canon.

5. The Bible was transcribed by the Catholic Church down through the centuries until the iinvention of the printing press in the 15th century.It waas also the Catholic Church that added Chapter and Verse in the Middle Ages.

6. You got this on right . . .

7. You got this on right also. . .

8. The Dead Sea Scrolls ALSO confirm the usage and reliability of the Septuagint that contains the Deuterocanonical Books that were deleted by Protestants.

9. Probably correct.

10. In AD 200 – there was NO complete Canon of the Bible yet – as the 1st time it was officially declared was at the Council of Rome in 382 (see #4 above). So this one is ALSO wrong . . .

Hello breadoflife,

Me being unbiased here thank you for your information, though I did read only small bits.
There sure is a lot of history here the one could looked at.

in love, kindness, patience, peace, of Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello breadoflife,

Me being unbiased here thank you for your information, though I did read only small bits.

Matthew Gallagher
Hi Matthew,
I am now reading a book by Randall Price, "The Original Bible" [copyright 2007], which covers this history thoroughly yet simply enough for the average Bible student [as opposed to a well-educated theologian] to get the gist of it and to be able consider seriously what happened. It includes details of what @BreadOfLife has added in his post here taking into consideration the Catholic perspective and involvement. Without a doubt, Price, is not without bias in this, standing on a Protestant side, but he does not leave out the significant Catholic involvement. I have not finished reading it, but he does seem to cover it well in spite of biases noted.

An extensive "Recommended Reading" list is included for addition study on it. I will post a copy of the reading list in my next post.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Matthew,
I am now reading a book by Randall Price, "The Original Bible" [copyright 2007], which covers this history thoroughly yet simply enough for the average Bible student [as opposed to a well-educated theologian] to get the gist of it and to be able consider seriously what happened. It includes details of what @BreadOfLife has added in his post here taking into consideration the Catholic perspective and involvement. Without a doubt, Price, is not without bias in this, standing on a Protestant side, but he does not leave out the significant Catholic involvement. I have not finished reading it, but he does seem to cover it well in spite of biases noted.

An extensive "Recommended Reading" list is included for addition study on it. I will post a copy of the reading list in my next post.
Another great book on the subject is Where wWe Got The Bible-Out Debt To The Catholic Church by Rev, Henry G. Graham.

It's a short read - but packed with information.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another great book on the subject is Where wWe Got The Bible-Out Debt To The Catholic Church by Rev, Henry G. Graham.

It's a short read - but packed with information.
Thanks for this. I expect my tax refund shortly and have a list of a few books I am hoping to buy. I will look at this one as well to get another viewpoint.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for this. I expect my tax refund shortly and have a list of a few books I am hoping to buy. I will look at this one as well to get another viewpoint.
Some of it is a bit dry and intellectual - but most of it is easy to read.

And for what it's worth - Graham was a non-Catholic when he wrote this. It's interesting to read this perspectuve.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello breadoflife,

Matthew Gallagher
I just wasn't sure if you knew or ha read about some of this history - especially as it pertains to #'s 2, 3 and 4.
Anyway - happy reading . . .

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello to you, BOL, and Amadeus,

When it comes to history, it is understood that many things had been changed around during the course.

Look at the first century Christians who has to deal with people who would, kill them for simply believing in Jesus as being their messiah and king. Confusion of the Law; as though Jesus has not fulfilled it.

There were people who back then in that age near the last days, in which “many Christ’s” had come along. Jesus had warned his disciples about them coming one day.

Thank you both for pointing out more history books to get into, when it comes down to the information in where your sources are from.

I don’t have much of Catholics, view or whatever or understanding of history though I’ve heard a lot about priest molesting children, but I’m sure this has happened in many different religions and not just Christianity, along side murders and divergent underlying ties to the dark side of human nature.

All I desire is to know the truth, and I believe that there is a lot of truth out there, about different types of things. The truth found in Christ Jesus is the most important and that is why the Bible is one of the most important books one will ever have while on earth in dealing with the things that pertain to God.

Thank you again both of you,
In peace, kindness, faithfulness, love, joy, and the grace of Christ be with you,
Matthew Gallagher

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello to you, BOL, and Amadeus,

When it comes to history, it is understood that many things had been changed around during the course.

Look at the first century Christians who has to deal with people who would, kill them for simply believing in Jesus as being their messiah and king. Confusion of the Law; as though Jesus has not fulfilled it.

There were people who back then in that age near the last days, in which “many Christ’s” had come along. Jesus had warned his disciples about them coming one day.

Thank you both for pointing out more history books to get into, when it comes down to the information in where your sources are from.

I don’t have much of Catholics, view or whatever or understanding of history though I’ve heard a lot about priest molesting children, but I’m sure this has happened in many different religions and not just Christianity, along side murders and divergent underlying ties to the dark side of human nature.

All I desire is to know the truth, and I believe that there is a lot of truth out there, about different types of things. The truth found in Christ Jesus is the most important and that is why the Bible is one of the most important books one will ever have while on earth in dealing with the things that pertain to God.

Thank you again both of you,
In peace, kindness, faithfulness, love, joy, and the grace of Christ be with you,
Matthew Gallagher
Thanks Mathhew.

We need to look at history objectively and not with a revisionist slant.
Many non-Catholics simply refuse to believe that the Catholic Church declared the Canon of Scripture and faithfully transcribed it down through the centuries simply because of their feelings about the Church.

Feelings have NO place in historical matters. Whether s person agrees or disagrees with the Catholic Church is irrelevant when it comes to the poure history of the Canon of the Bible.
You appear to be an honest student of both Scripture and history.