Will the Jews build a Third Temple?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The site where the Temple stood, is dominated by two structures which keep Jews from any chance to build or restore, which are the al-Aqsa Mosque and the Dome of the Rock, near the center of the temple mount, which is seem as one of the holiest Islamic structure in the world.

The temple mount is the place where the past Jewish temples stood, which makes it among the holiest sites in Judaism to say nothing of how Christians look at it. The First Temple was built by Solomon, the son of David, in 957 BC, and was destroyed by the Babylonian Empire, in 587 BCE. The Second Temple was constructed under of Zerubbabel in 516 BCE, was renovated by King Herod, and this is the temple that was standing when Christ came. The second temple lasted until AD 70, when it was razed to the ground by Roman soldiers under Titus. Now today, we have many evangelicals and many orthodox Jews want to reestablish the temple and even the sacrificial system. Many Christians hold that the Jewish temple will be rebuilt before Christ comes, and have set up Christian ministries to assist in the building of the temple to hasten the return of Jesus. For many of them, they think such an event will signal the start of the final events of earth’s history, but they are confused on the subject of the temple. They claim certain text as proof such as 2 Thessalonians 2:3-4..
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

They misinterpret who the man of sin is, and think it is a future antichrist, when the apostate church has already revealed itself and persecuted the faithful and burned them at the stake and tried to wipe them out, which history shows us clearly is here in the Papacy.

Now, the Jews took heart when Donald Trump won the presidential election in 2016 in the United States because he had promised to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, and began to implement that and now is running again. And we have Orthodox Jewish "tradition" that claims it is here, in the city of Jerusalem that the third and final Temple will be built when they say the 'messiah comes'. But if Christ came and they did not recognized him, then what 'messiah' are they waiting for.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, Futurists like myself generally believe that a literal Antichrist is coming, just like Antiochus 4 came, just like Roman Caesars came, just like Hitler came, etc. Every kingdom has a king, and Antichrist will be a emperor. He will have a following of 10 nations and 7 kings/presidents. This superpower will remain unchallenged for 3.5 years, during which time he will try to stamp out evangelical, catholic, and orthodox Christianity.

But at the end of that period I suspect Eastern leaders will not like submitting to a European Antichrist and will challenge him at Armageddon. I don't really know if this is the scenario, but it may be.

What I don't believe is the Dispensationalist and Jewish view that a new temple will be constructed in Jerusalem to restore animal sacrifices, or to be a palace for a Messiah figure. I just don't think that's what most Jews or Christians believe. 2 Thes 2 doesn't say there will be a rebuilt temple of the Law, nor do anything but ultra-orthodox Jews believe there will be a temple of the Law restored. I really don't know all this, but I really think the NT Scriptures indicate the Law is gone, for both Christians and Jews. Jesus said a time would come when people would no longer worship in Jerusalem but anywhere. That day arrived 2000 plus years ago.

I don't know what kind of temple Antichrist will step into, but I personally think it will be a claim to Deity, assuming a posture as if he is on a heavenly throne. God's true temple is in heaven, and Antichrist will, on earth, claim to have heaven's authority. Anyway, that's the best I can do.

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The site where the Temple stood, is dominated by two structures which keep Jews from any chance to build or restore, which are the al-Aqsa Mosque and the Dome of the Rock, near the center of the temple mount, which is seem as one of the holiest Islamic structure in the world.

The temple mount is the place where the past Jewish temples stood, which makes it among the holiest sites in Judaism to say nothing of how Christians look at it. The First Temple was built by Solomon, the son of David, in 957 BC, and was destroyed by the Babylonian Empire, in 587 BCE. The Second Temple was constructed under of Zerubbabel in 516 BCE, was renovated by King Herod, and this is the temple that was standing when Christ came. The second temple lasted until AD 70, when it was razed to the ground by Roman soldiers under Titus. Now today, we have many evangelicals and many orthodox Jews want to reestablish the temple and even the sacrificial system. Many Christians hold that the Jewish temple will be rebuilt before Christ comes, and have set up Christian ministries to assist in the building of the temple to hasten the return of Jesus. For many of them, they think such an event will signal the start of the final events of earth’s history, but they are confused on the subject of the temple. They claim certain text as proof such as 2 Thessalonians 2:3-4..
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

They misinterpret who the man of sin is, and think it is a future antichrist, when the apostate church has already revealed itself and persecuted the faithful and burned them at the stake and tried to wipe them out, which history shows us clearly is here in the Papacy.

Now, the Jews took heart when Donald Trump won the presidential election in 2016 in the United States because he had promised to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, and began to implement that and now is running again. And we have Orthodox Jewish "tradition" that claims it is here, in the city of Jerusalem that the third and final Temple will be built when they say the 'messiah comes'. But if Christ came and they did not recognized him, then what 'messiah' are they waiting for.
I'm stocked up on popcorn.

Sozomen (ca. A.D.375-447)
"Ecclesiastical History"
Book V, Chapter XXII

Though the emperor [Julian the Apostate] hated and oppressed the Christians, he manifested benevolence and humanity towards the Jews. He wrote to the Jewish patriarchs and leaders, as well as to the people, requesting them to pray for him, and for the prosperity of the empire. In taking this step he was not actuated, I am convinced, by any respect for their religion; for he was aware that it is, so to speak, the mother of the Christian religion, and he knew that both religions rest upon the authority of the patriarchs and the prophets; but he thought to grieve the Christians by favoring the Jews, who are their most inveterate enemies. But perhaps he also calculated upon persuading the Jews to embrace paganism and sacrifices; for they were only acquainted with the mere letter of Scripture, and could not, like the Christians and a few of the wisest among the Hebrews, discern the hidden meaning.

Events proved that this was his real motive; for he sent for some of the chiefs of the race and exhorted them to return to the observance of the laws of Moses and the customs of their fathers. On their replying that because the temple in Jerusalem was overturned, it was neither lawful nor ancestral to do this in another place than the metropolis out of which they had been cast, he gave them public money, commanded them to rebuild the temple, and to practice the cult similar to that of their ancestors, by sacrificing after the ancient way. The Jews entered upon the undertaking, without reflecting that, according to the prediction of the holy prophets, it could not be accomplished. They sought for the most skillful artisans, collected materials, cleared the ground, and entered so earnestly upon the task, that even the women carried heaps of earth, and brought their necklaces and other female ornaments towards defraying the expense. The emperor, the other pagans, and all the Jews, regarded every other undertaking as secondary in importance to this. Although the pagans were not well-disposed towards the Jews, yet they assisted them in this enterprise, because they reckoned upon its ultimate success, and hoped by this means to falsify the prophecies of Christ. Besides this motive, the Jews themselves were impelled by the consideration that the time had arrived for rebuilding their temple. When they had removed the ruins of the former building, they dug up the ground and cleared away its foundation; it is said that on the following day when they were about to lay the first foundation, a great earthquake occurred, and by the violent agitation of the earth, stones were thrown up from the depths, by which those of the Jews who were engaged in the work were wounded, as likewise those who were merely looking on. The houses and public porticos, near the site of the temple, in which they had diverted themselves, were suddenly thrown down; many were caught thereby, some perished immediately, others were found half dead and mutilated of hands or legs, others were injured in other parts of the body. When God caused the earthquake to cease, the workmen who survived again returned to their task, partly because such was the edict of the emperor, and partly because they were themselves interested in the undertaking. Men often, in endeavoring to gratify their own passions, seek what is injurious to them, reject what would be truly advantageous, and are deluded-by the idea that nothing is really useful except what is agreeable to them. When once led astray by this error, they are no longer able to act in a manner conducive to their own interests, or to take warning by the calamities which are visited upon them.

The Jews, I believe, were just in this state; for, instead of regarding this unexpected earthquake as a manifest indication that God was opposed to the re-erection of their temple, they proceeded to recommence the work. But all parties relate, that they had scarcely returned to the undertaking, when fire burst suddenly from the foundations of the temple, and consumed several of the workmen.

This fact is fearlessly stated, and believed by all; the only discrepancy in the narrative is that some maintain that flame burst from the interior of the temple, as the workmen were striving to force an entrance, while others say that the fire proceeded directly from the earth. In whichever way the phenomenon might have occurred, it is equally wonderful. A more tangible and still more extraordinary prodigy ensued; suddenly the sign of the cross appeared spontaneously on the garments of the persons engaged in the undertaking. These crosses were disposed like stars, and appeared the work of art. Many were hence led to confess that Christ is God, and that the rebuilding of the temple was not pleasing to Him; others presented themselves in the church, were initiated, and besought Christ, with hymns and supplications, to pardon their transgression. If any one does not feel disposed to believe my narrative, let him go and be convinced by those who heard the facts I have related from the eyewitnesses of them, for they are still alive. Let him inquire, also, of the Jews and pagans who left the work in an incomplete state, or who, to speak more accurately, were able to commence it.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We (Christians) are the temple under construction, Hobie. As Paul says:

"So then you (Gentiles) are no longer strangers and aliens, but you (Gentiles) are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the cornerstone, in Whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. In Him you (Gentiles) also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit" (Ephesians 2:19-22).​

And the writer of Hebrews says:

"By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he went to live in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs with him of the same promise. For he was looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God" (Hebrews 11:8-10).​

I think there will be buildings in the new heaven and new earth, though. :) And I think some of them will probably be... temples/churches. :)

Grace and peace to all!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A standing stone JEWISH temple on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem is REQUIRED to fulfill the Daniel 9:27 final "one week" prophecy that is detailed in Dan.11 about the "vile person" and his placing the "abomination that maketh desolate" inside that future Jewish stone temple.

That has nothing to do with the Islamic Dome of the Rock that is presently on today's Temple Mount in Jerusalem. The Daniel prophecy is about a JEWISH temple with an IDOL abomination placed inside it in false worship. That is what Jesus quoted about with the "abomination of desolation" event during the coming "great tribulation" time at the end of this world.

The "abomination of desolation" (AOD) event is specific to Jerusalem for the end of this world.

The AOD is about the ending of Jewish sacrifices in Jerusalem for the end, per Dan.9:27 and Dan.11.

The Dan.9:27 specifies a symbolic "one week" representing seven years total, for the end. In the middle of that "one week", the false one will come to Jerusalem and end the Jew's daily sacrifices. This means a 3rd Jewish stone temple will... be built at the end of this world for the tribulation prophecies. That "one week" will be divided into 2 ea. 1260 day periods.

The 1st 1260 day period suggests that is when the Jews in Jerusalem will build their 3rd Jewish temple, and start up old covenant sacrifices again. These are orthodox Jews that still reject Jesus of Nazareth as The Christ. They believe they are still under the old covenant, thus requiring a Jewish stone temple for their worship. The coming false Messiah will provide that deception for them, as the Zechariah 6 prophecy about the "BRANCH" shows Messiah will build the temple when He comes. Problem will be for them, they will believe the first one coming will be Messiah, but won't be, and instead will be that "man of sin" Paul warned about in 2 Thess.2.

After that 1st 1260 day period, in the middle of the 7 years, the false-Messiah will end the Jew's daily sacrifices in Jerusalem, and instead will takeover their 3rd temple, and place an IDOL ABOMINATION inside that temple, demanding that all bow in worship to it. That is what the future "image of the beast" of Rev.13 will be about. That will begin the actual time of the "great tribulation" for the end, a period of 1260 days. That also is when God's "two witnesses" will prophesy against the beast for that latter 1260 day period, per Rev.11.

The following is an 'ensample' (example) of the placing of an IDOL abomination inside the "temple of God". It had happened more than once in past history of the Jewish temple in Jerusalem. It will happen one last time at the end of this world, during the coming "great tribulation".

Ezek 8:3-6
3 And He put forth the form of an hand, and took me by a lock of mine head; and the spirit lifted me up between the earth and the heaven, and brought me in the visions of God to Jerusalem, to the door of the inner gate that looketh toward the north; where was the seat of
the image of jealousy, which provoketh to jealousy.

4 And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel was there, according to the vision that I saw in the plain.

5 Then said He unto me, "Son of man, lift up thine eyes now the way toward the north."
So I lifted up mine eyes the way toward the north, and behold northward at the gate of the altar this image of jealousy in the entry.

6 He said furthermore unto me, "Son of man, seest thou what they do? even the great abominations
that the house of Israel committeth here, that I should go far off from My sanctuary? but turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations."
KJV

It's important to note, that God is giving Ezekiel the above by 'vision', suggesting a future event involving a temple. God mentioned those of the "house of Israel" doing that IDOL worship in a temple, which God even called "My sanctuary". At this time in history, the northern tribes of the "house of Israel" were no longer even in Jerusalem-Judea. And Ezekiel himself at this time was captive to Babylon. And this was by 'vision' God gave to Ezekiel? Can you put two and two together?

That is pointing to a FUTURE idol worship inside a temple in Jerusalem, and not an Islamic temple, but a Jewish temple! Ezekiel 9 even gives a detail about a future destruction of God's judgment at the end of this world, which Apostle Peter quoted, saying judgment will begin at the house of God.

THIS... is what the coming 'falling away' during the time of "great tribulation" is going to be about. Many of both the orthodox Jews, and believers in many Churches, will fall away under the coming false-Messiah that will setup an IDOL abomination inside the new 3rd Jewish temple in Jerusalem, what Apostle Paul called "the temple of God" in 2 Thess.2.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In order for Jews to begin construction of the Temple the Terrace on the Temple Mount needs to be completely excavated and rebuilt. It's completely unstable and unable to hold anything. The Dome of the Rock was originally a Christian Cathedral built by Constantine's mother...in 300 AD.

The underground tunnels need to be explored and excavation is also going to need to be done by archeologists. When the Mosque and Dome went partial collapse in 1920's timbers from King David were just put back into place with a few new beams added.

So deconstruction of existing structures is going to take years. Every grain of sand filtered through to find historical significance. Then once a foundation is properly made the construction can begin. And since every single stone and piece is already numbered, lettered with detailed instructions....the construction will happen very very quickly.

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
the false one will come to Jerusalem and end the Jew's daily sacrifices.
Daniel 9
26 Then after the sixty-two weeks, the Messiah will be cut off and have nothing...
27 And he will confirm a covenant with the many for one week...

Matthew 26
27 And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you;
28 for this is My blood of the covenant, which is being poured out for many for forgiveness of sins.

Explain how Messiah will be the "false one".

Last edited:
Reactions: Zao is life and rwb

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A standing stone JEWISH temple on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem is REQUIRED to fulfill the Daniel 9:27 final "one week" prophecy that is detailed in Dan.11...
Disagree. My position (as per above) is that that prophecy is in the process of being fulfilled even as we speak. The physical temples of old (built by Solomon and rebuilt on the return to the promised land from exile in Babylon) pointed to the true temple still in the process of being built by God. We ~ we Christians, all of us who are in Christ, Who is the Cornerstone ~ are this temple.

Grace and peace to all.

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So deconstruction of existing structures is going to take years. Every grain of sand filtered through to find historical significance. Then once a foundation is properly made the construction can begin. And since every single stone and piece is already numbered, lettered with detailed instructions....the construction will happen very very quickly.
This will be the deconstruction even if men try first: Zechariah 14:3-11

"Then shall the Lord go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south. All the land shall be turned as a plain from Geba to Rimmon south of Jerusalem: and it shall be lifted up, and inhabited in her place, from Benjamin's gate unto the place of the first gate, unto the corner gate, and from the tower of Hananeel unto the king's winepresses. And men shall dwell in it, and there shall be no more utter destruction; but Jerusalem shall be safely inhabited."

That is the Second Coming when Jesus sets up His glorious throne in the Temple.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, Futurists like myself generally believe that a literal Antichrist is coming, just like Antiochus 4 came, just like Roman Caesars came, just like Hitler came, etc. Every kingdom has a king, and Antichrist will be a emperor. He will have a following of 10 nations and 7 kings/presidents. This superpower will remain unchallenged for 3.5 years, during which time he will try to stamp out evangelical, catholic, and orthodox Christianity.

But at the end of that period I suspect Eastern leaders will not like submitting to a European Antichrist and will challenge him at Armageddon. I don't really know if this is the scenario, but it may be.

What I don't believe is the Dispensationalist and Jewish view that a new temple will be constructed in Jerusalem to restore animal sacrifices, or to be a palace for a Messiah figure. I just don't think that's what most Jews or Christians believe. 2 Thes 2 doesn't say there will be a rebuilt temple of the Law, nor do anything but ultra-orthodox Jews believe there will be a temple of the Law restored. I really don't know all this, but I really think the NT Scriptures indicate the Law is gone, for both Christians and Jews. Jesus said a time would come when people would no longer worship in Jerusalem but anywhere. That day arrived 2000 plus years ago.

I don't know what kind of temple Antichrist will step into, but I personally think it will be a claim to Deity, assuming a posture as if he is on a heavenly throne. God's true temple is in heaven, and Antichrist will, on earth, claim to have heaven's authority. Anyway, that's the best I can do.
He is in the church saying he has the authority and power to change even Gods Word and change Gods Sabbath, and is infallible or like God, so don't know what else he has to do to show his hand....

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is in the church saying he has the authority and power to change even Gods Word and change Gods Sabbath, and is infallible or like God, so don't know what else he has to do to show his hand....
I would modify that for purposes of clarity to say not that he is *part of* the Church, or "in the church" in that way. Rather, I would say that Antichrist will come to live within Christian Europe, within the post-Christian culture, making an effort to take Antichristianity to the next level.

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Rebuilding a physical temple in Jersualem? Seriously??
Yes; actually.
But the Jews will not do it. It will be done by men who come from far away.... Zechariah 6:15
Proved by how the man of sin will sit in it and declare himself to be God. 2 Thess 2:4 Jesus will Return to it and reign from it for the next thousand years.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes; actually.
But the Jews will not do it. It will be done by men who come from far away.... Zechariah 6:15
Proved by how the man of sin will sit in it and declare himself to be God. 2 Thess 2:4 Jesus will Return to it and reign from it for the next thousand years.
Some of that is just wrong, not written.

The Jews in Jerusalem today already have... the materials ready to build their 3rd temple in Jerusalem. So it will... be the Jews who build it. But will that fulfill the Zechariah 6 prophecy?

Zech 6:12-13
12 And speak unto him, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name is
The BRANCH; and he shall grow up out of his place, and he shall build the temple of the LORD:

13 Even he shall build the temple of the LORD; and he shall bear the glory,
and shall sit and rule upon his throne; and he shall be a priest upon his throne: and the counsel of peace shall be between them both.
KJV

That symbol, "The BRANCH" is put for Lord Jesus Christ. He will build the future TRUE temple in Jerusalem when He returns. And that idea of His sitting upon His throne as King, and High Priest is reserved for The Lord Jesus Christ ONLY, and none other.

That prophecy was given at the time when the "house of Judah" small remnant was returning back to Judea after their 70 years captivity to Babylon. They would rebuild Jerusalem and the 2nd temple. Thus that way... future prophecy about Jesus is mixed in with that time of Judah's return from Babylon back in the days of Ezra and Nehemiah.

Zech 6:15
15 And they that are far off shall come and build in the temple of the LORD, and ye shall know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me unto you. And this shall come to pass, if ye will diligently obey the voice of the LORD your God.
KJV

That 15th verse is about that time of those mentioned in Zech.6:10...

Zech 6:10
10 Take of them of the captivity, even of Heldai, of Tobijah, and of Jedaiah,
which are come from Babylon, and come thou the same day, and go into the house of Josiah the son of Zephaniah;
KJV

That was about the return of the "house of Judah" small remnant after the 70 years Babylon captivity. It does NOT mean far off nations will build the temple, but those who are 'far off' regarding the captivity to Babylon, will return to build the 2nd temple. And they did.

Lord Jesus coming to reign in the same temple of 2 Thess.2:4 that the false-Messiah ("man of sin") is coming to play God in is ludicrous.

That because the future Millennial temple Jesus will build when He returns, and reign from, will be the temple described in Ezekiel 40 thru 47. The next 3rd temple the Jews in today's Jerusalem will build with the coming false-Messiah will be of THIS PRESENT WORLD TIME, and will be destroyed on the day of Jesus' future return.

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Some of that is just wrong, not written.
What 'some'?
ALL of what I wrote in #13 is from the Bible. It conflicts with your wrong beliefs, that's why you don't like it.
Lord Jesus coming to reign in the same temple of 2 Thess.2:4 that the false-Messiah ("man of sin") is coming to play God in is ludicrous.
Your opinion, that denies Bible truths.
It is clearly stated in 2 Thess 2:4 that the Temple which the man of sin, [the Anti-Christ 'beast'] desecrates, is a physical Temple, in Jerusalem and dedicated to God.
This new Temple has to be built before Jesus Returns; all as described in Ezekiel 40 to 46.

TribulationSigns

May 1, 2023
Somewhere west of Mississippi River
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is clearly stated in 2 Thess 2:4 that the Temple which the man of sin, [the Anti-Christ 'beast'] desecrates, is a physical Temple, in Jerusalem and dedicated to God.

It's your opinion that is wrong. The temple of 2nd Tess 2:4 is spiritually represents the New Testament Congregation where Satan is revealed through men. When Satan loosens from the bottomless pit being revealed through the false prophets and christs (signifies locusts with the spirit of the antichrist (not one man) with lying signs and wonders that deceive men without the seal of God, Revelation 9. Not about some physical temple with your fantasy one man.
This new Temple has to be built before Jesus Returns; all as described in Ezekiel 40 to 46.

Ezekiel 40-46 is a millennial kingdom with temple that is symbolic the New Testament congregation since the Cross. Not some physical temple in the future that you believe.