Wives submit to your husbands

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilenceInMotion

Dec 10, 2012
Virginia, USA
Rex said:
Then perhaps you can both show some divorce and or marriage numbers that show the difference in divorce rates with-in the church as apposed to outside the church?

Truth be told their is no difference.
There is no difference, and it's important to note that it's women who most often petition divorce.

The irony of divorce among Christians is that holy matrimony can only be severed when a spouse dies. So a divorce isn't a divorce at all, it is a secular working that does not affect the actual rite. So when a couple get a divorce, they are committing adultery with whoever else they get invovled with.

It is a biblical truth. The only way one can get a divorce if they can show that they never took part in the marriage rite to begin with. It requires two truly willing people for it to work, it is not involuntarily imputed. In which case, it really wouldn't be getting a divorce, because marriage never truly happened.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
SilenceInMotion said:
There is no difference, and it's important to note that it's women who most often petition divorce.

The irony of divorce among Christians is that holy matrimony can only be severed when a spouse dies. So a divorce isn't a divorce at all, it is a secular working that does not affect the actual rite. So when a couple get a divorce, they are committing adultery with whoever else they get invovled with.

It is a biblical truth. The only way one can get a divorce if they can show that they never took part in the marriage rite to begin with. It requires two truly willing people for it to work, it is not involuntarily imputed. In which case, it really wouldn't be getting a divorce, because marriage never truly happened.
SilenceInMotion said:

Matrimony can be severed not only under the death of one's spouse but also when the unbeliever leaves and by leaving seeks an annulment of the covenant. Besides this although not encouraged - as reconciliation for the sake of God's glory is to be upheld- is divorce on the grounds of marital unfaithfulness.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
SilenceInMotion said:
That is correct. 70% of the time in US from what I've read.

Angelina said:
They both must be in submission to God. When believer's marry, there is a third person involved. Ecclesiastes 4:12. A husband cannot save a wife just as a Church cannot save an adherent. They are both accountable before God...but the husband is responsible for their spiritual and physical well being, as head of his household before God.

Note the story in Acts 5:1-10. Sipphira was in obedience to her husband when conspiring against the Holy Spirit and they both died for it.
And I did say 'That is correct'. Women need to follow their conscience more than they follow a man, because as you say, no man can save them, except one. Nevertheless, for a team to work there has to be a leader who guides, and a team that follows. A man and a wife cannot both lead at the same time, yet they have to work together. If a man is wise he will treat his wife with respect, and as his own body when making decisions. And if a woman is wise she will defer to the man to encourage him to make the right decision. If a man is "responsible for their spiritual and physical well being, as head of his household before God" then a woman is responsible for following his lead, and providing the necessary encouragement, or concern, or disagreement when necessary.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Rex said:
Thats not what I asked is it? And women wonder why men ignore them, were just returning the favor LOL
Your pretty quick to condemn a young man and avoid the beam in your own eye.

If he chooses to not marry he is following Christ.
Rex, when I say that everyone is a sinner, I included myself in there. I never said that everyone is a sinner except myself.

Also, I did not ask Stephen if he chose to marry or not. I asked if he is going to choose to be like Christ or to be like the King of the Gentiles? Everyone is called to follow and imitate Christ, including women.

SilenceInMotion

Dec 10, 2012
Virginia, USA
JB_Reformed Baptist said:
Matrimony can be severed not only under the death of one's spouse but also when the unbeliever leaves and by leaving seeks an annulment of the covenant. Besides this although not encouraged - as reconciliation for the sake of God's glory is to be upheld- is divorce on the grounds of marital unfaithfulness.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's only Eastern Orthodox that annuls marriage on the grounds of unfaithfulness as far as the tradiitonal churches go. Anglican Catholics may or may not have changed to that (England has the highest divorce rate in the world), but I'm almost sure that the Roman Church does not sever matrimony for unfaithfulness.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
meshak said:
Why cant both lead their family? Of course they both have roles. they are both leading in different roles.
They both cannot lead. A family cannot have two leaders or two hearts. One must lead, and that would be the husband because he is the head of the family. The wife's role and title is "Heart of the family." Both must work together within their own roles and titles. However, this never meant that the husband is to be like the King of the Gentiles where he exerts power and rule. Christ's definition of "authority" means to serve. So, when men go off to war........this is what it means to SERVE your country. A solider who gave his life for his country served his country.

The reason we call government leaders "public servants" is because these leaders were supposed to serve the people who elected them. They were not supposed to be selfish and serve themselves. This is the Christian concept of what "authority" means. The leaders were supposed to take care of the people. In the same way, the Apostle Peter and his successors were supposed to take care of the entire flock. The Pope is called "the Servant of the Servants of God." Despite that he is the "Head", he is also called "Servant."

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Selene said:
Rex, when I say that everyone is a sinner, I included myself in there. I never said that everyone is a sinner except myself.

Also, I did not ask Stephen if he chose to marry or not. I asked if he is going to choose to be like Christ or to be like the King of the Gentiles? Everyone is called to follow and imitate Christ, including women.
Selene I asked you If you were living up to your end of the deal. I already know were all sinners, but making a marriage work is just that for most, work. I quoted Proverbs 31:10-31 It would seem the woman in proverbs is a very hard worker. She certainly doesn't sit on her behind and expect the man to bring her everything she needs. You may feel you have answered the question but in my mind you side stepped it.

Selene are you living up to the women's end of the deal or are you only interested in saddling up the man to ride him into the ground?
God made Adam a helper not someone he was to be in servitude to.
Where does this man is the provider thing come from ladies. 1 Tim 5:8 clue me in please.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Rex said:
Selene I asked you If you were living up to your end of the deal. I already know were all sinners, but making a marriage work is just that for most, work. I quoted Proverbs 31:10-31 It would seem the woman in proverbs is a very hard worker. She certainly doesn't sit on her behind and expect the man to bring her everything she needs. You may feel you have answered the question but in my mind you side stepped it.

God made Adam a helper not someone he was to be in servitude to.
Where does this man is the provider thing come from ladies. 1 Tim 5:8 clue me in please.
Yes, Rex, I am living up to my end of the deal....because right now, Christ is my Head. That is the only Head I have. My house is definitely clean for him. And Christ has always provided for me. I have never provided for myself. However, I am still a sinner and far from being like my husband who is Christ.

According to St. Paul, he says that the man is the Head just as Christ is the Head. So, when I quote biblical verse showing that Christ came to serve........that is correct. Christ said he came to serve. If you have a problem with that, take it up with Christ who came to serve.

Luke 22:25-27 Jesus said to them, "The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Alright....this has all gone on long enough.

Firstly, I want to say that the over-generalisations by some in this thread are appalling. Since some women are overbearing, bossy, manipulative shrews, it must follow that all women do that to their husbands; that all husbands are boot licking cowards, nodding to get peace in a marriage? Shame on you. It's as ridiculous as saying that some men are abusers and rapist, so all men must be. Equally fallacious.

Discussing such an important topic in these terms of broad sweeping conclusions is doing more harm than good.
The real fact is this: people are sinners. Some women sin in this manner, just as some men do...they fight against the roles that have been given them by God, and it leads to broken lives....sin always does, no matter the form.

But for some of you to think that you have the right to come onto a public forum and verbally abuse women in such absolute terms, when you know only a fraction of the women in the world, is beyond prideful and arrogant. You wonder why some of the women here have rose in outcry? It's because you are pretending to know the state of their hearts and marriage...something that only God can know.

It is true that feminism has done much harm in the Church, but just as feminism stole in to try and mend the unbiblical abuse and dominance of men and ended up as an unbiblical bid for leadership and headship within the Church, so I see the danger here in the words and attitudes of some, to spin it back to where it was in the beginning, in an attempt to 'deal with feminism'. The attitude seems to be that if women "don't find their places in submission", then they are sinful and bring an end to marriage and happiness. This is just as unbiblical as feminism, and it is an attitude that will NEVER conqueror feminism. The only thing that will defeat it, is for men to follow the example of Christ. You don't seem to understand that Christian women long for men like that. We want men like that to stand as the head of our homes and hearts. We long for it like we long to see Jesus.

What your broad generalizations have done is to show the fact that in spite of your words, some of you don't actually understand the role God has called you to. Your words are not the ones of someone who would 'lay their lives down' for her, and to lovingly lead her to an understanding and acceptance of her role and how she is cherished in that role. As the 'head'....that is your responsibility! And yet this whole thread is a testament to the fact that you feel WE should be doing it! It's almost like your crying out for us to let you step up. It's ridiculous, as most of the Christian women I know, DON'T WANT TO BE HEAD. Man, you couldn't pay me to do that job, and nothing makes me feel safer and more loved in my own role, than knowing my husband is in his role, loving and leading.

And so, since nothing but ongoing war has come from this thread, it will now be locked. I do hope that some here who have accused each other so violently will take a step back, pray intensely about their heart and their intentions...because true change starts with confessing and growing into the true head.

I also feel I should mention to any thinking of just starting a new thread to keep this argument going....that any time such threads begin to again verbally abuse one another, it will be locked immediately....this is not the sort of behaviour that should be seen on a forum professing Christ as Saviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.