Wormwood

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is what I know about Wormwood:

When it becomes relevant
We need to love God and our neighbors
If we are not practicing loving outwardly now
We will not practice loving during this event either

4Jesus

Feb 15, 2019
Philly
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think its to do with the spiritual battle. These calamities (however they manifest) are the result of worshipping the works of ones hands as the scripture points out. It will not effect those who have the seal of God, so the matter is to do with the worship factor and the resultant plagues connected. They are not arbitrary but the intrinsic result of the choice of allegiance. The bitter fruit (wormwood) of ones choices.

I don't disagree with any of what you said; those sealed by God, including the 144,000 of the tribes of Israel, will be protected - the verse just says "many" which may/may not mean all who are not protected. However, you're talking about the "why" and "who". I was discussing the "how" and "who".

4Jesus

Feb 15, 2019
Philly
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Revelations is highly symbolic.
The book of Daniel is much the same way. It was prophetic for the end the KoG with the Jews. Therefore, Daniel is to be only read as a refrerence to Revelation, and not a continuation.

What are symbols used for though (generally speaking)? Aren't they meant to convey a summation of ideas/actions/events that can be described as a single idea/action/event in order to describe a longer or wider thought in a shorter time? A book title to sum the contents of the book...and yes, "you can't judge a book by it's cover"...

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is what happens when literalist attempt to interpret Scripture, they’re always trying to force a literal interpretation on everything including those things which have been clearly designated as a symbolic in nature i.e. the Book of Revelation, a symbolic prophecy.

Personally I believe most literalist (Not all) to be “natural men”, and as such being limited to the natural man’s ability to comprehend, they have little choice but to attempt to force a literal interpretation upon most of what they read.

Gasp! You would never want to accept the plain word of Scripture as it is written!! Duh!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gasp! You would never want to accept the plain word of Scripture as it is written!! Duh!
Now Stan...

"As it is written", "all language" was "confounded" by God at Babel, and "must be discerned spiritually."

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Now Stan...

"As it is written", "all language" was "confounded" by God at Babel, and "must be discerned spiritually."

Well, we are not in Babel, although it sometimes seems like it.

When someone declares Revelation to be merely a symbolic book, has never actually read the Book. Sure Revelation, uses symbolism as it reflects harmony with the prophecies given to Daniel. When you see obvious symbolism being employed, it is inevitably followed up with an interpretation of the meaning of the symbolism being used.

Reactions: Enoch111

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, we are not in Babel, although it sometimes seems like it.

When someone declares Revelation to be merely a symbolic book, has never actually read the Book. Sure Revelation, uses symbolism as it reflects harmony with the prophecies given to Daniel. When you see obvious symbolism being employed, it is inevitably followed up with an interpretation of the meaning of the symbolism being used.
If I have come in on your conversation in the middle and missed the fact that someone has not even read Revelation, that is besides the point. I was not addressing their point, but yours...kindly, if you please.

The fact is, the order of God to confound all language worldwide made at Babel, has not been rescinded. Thus, Jesus came speaking in parables according to the prophecy that foretold God doing so, showing that Jesus was both God and the Word become flesh. And if you hadn't noticed, He made a couple clarifications regarding just what was meant by "all language", saying "all parables" and "without a parable, He did not speak with them", giving the full scope of the prophecy. Which Paul also clarified, saying "But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

So...before you completely align with the natural man and consider it all foolishness, perhaps you would like to consider that God in fact has not made the mysteries of scripture public and given the same words to evil men as He has to His elect. But rather that He has done just what He has said...which I have summarized for you above.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Chernobyl nuclear meltdown, on April 26, 2011, Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev visited the Star of Wormwood Memorial dedicated to the "liquidators" (first responders) to the accident.

Is it merely a coincidence that the name of the memorial complex remembering those that died fighting the nuclear fires of Chernobyl is the exact same name of the fallen star called Wormwood referred to in the third trumpet prophecy of Revelation 8? There is a statue now standing on the site, an enormous angel blowing a trumpet!

Good to see you, Stan.
God bless!
Isaiah 55:8-9 explains clearly that OUR thoughts and ways about the prophetic words of God will not pry loose from God His own meaning of His own words.
They are ownly revealed to us by HIS Spirit.
John 16[13] Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
So then, all the analytical and logical studies (scholarly learning) that man can do, will only reveal man's thoughts about what God has prophesied.
Which is a treasure trove of NOTHING!

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev. 8
[10] And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;
[11] And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

Q. What great star fell from heaven?
A. Luke 10[18] And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

In that symbolism, all we are looking at is the results, evidence of satan's wrath of being cast down from heaven, and is now bound to the earth, having no longer any access to God or Heaven
Rev. 12[12] Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

Reactions: brakelite

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The majority of the bible is written in plain literal statements, but not all of it. One must be able to rightly divine the Word of Truth, that implies being able to distinguish between what is clearly a literal statement from that which is symbolic or figurative in nature.

Tell me, are the following statements written in plain literal words or in symbolic and or figurative language? Yes they’re all literal statements taken from the Bible, but which is to be taken symbolically and which literal?

1)First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.” (Matt 13:30)

2)The field is the world, the good seeds are the sons of the kingdom, but the tares are the sons of the wicked one.” (Matt 13:38)

3)Blessed are those servants whom the master, when he comes, will find watching. Assuredly, I say to you that he will gird himself and have them sit down to eat, and will come and serve them.” (Luke 12:37)

4)When you go with your adversary to the magistrate, make every effort along the way to settle with him, lest he drag you to the judge, the judge deliver you to the officer, and the officer throw you into prison.” (Luke 12:58)

5)But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.” (2 Pet 3:10)

6) “…as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.” (2 Pet 3:16)

7)And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs coming out of the mouth of the dragon, out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet.” (Rev 16:13)

8)For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book.” (Rev 22:18)

Reactions: Helen

MrBebe

Sep 8, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
So what do we know about Wormwood?

I saw the news about Oumuamua the first reported interstellar comet and got to thinking about it.

Good day,

The word “bitter” according to Ruth 1:20, could mean affliction:

Rth 1:20-21 KJV
(20) And she said unto them, Call me not Naomi, call me Mara: for the Almighty hath dealt very bitterly with me.
(21) I went out full, and the LORD hath brought me home again empty: why then call ye me Naomi, seeing the LORD hath testified against me, and the Almighty hath afflicted me?​

"Wormwood" could mean false doctrines or idolatrous persons that cause one to turn away from God and to be defiled according to:

(Deu 29:18 KJV) Lest there should be among you man, or woman, or family, or tribe, whose heart turneth away this day from the LORD our God, to go and serve the gods of these nations; lest there should be among you a root that beareth gall and wormwood;

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why does it need to "symbolize" anything ? Seems to me that it is merely a statement of fact, much like happened in Egypt during the ten plagues.

Stan,
Seems some on this thread are "gunning" for you ... you must be doing something right!

keep up the good work,
God bless!

Reactions: Stan B

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good day,

The word “bitter” according to Ruth 1:20, could mean affliction:

Rth 1:20-21 KJV
(20) And she said unto them, Call me not Naomi, call me Mara: for the Almighty hath dealt very bitterly with me.
(21) I went out full, and the LORD hath brought me home again empty: why then call ye me Naomi, seeing the LORD hath testified against me, and the Almighty hath afflicted me?​

"Wormwood" could mean false doctrines or idolatrous persons that cause one to turn away from God and to be defiled according to:

(Deu 29:18 KJV) Lest there should be among you man, or woman, or family, or tribe, whose heart turneth away this day from the LORD our God, to go and serve the gods of these nations; lest there should be among you a root that beareth gall and wormwood;
Satan is in a "no win situation" and he knows it.
Having been cast out of Heaven (Jesus beheld it),
and now that Jesus has first appeared, "the strong man" (satan- Matthew 12:29) has been "bound" to this planet, in "chains of darkness"(2 Peter 2:4), which means he has no access to Heaven or the Light of Christ.
Yet, from that situation, we are told that he will be loosed for a little season. Rev. 20:3,7, after the thousand years, which is NOW and has been, the Age of God's Grace. YES! Even the thousand years
IS SYMBOLIC!!
2 Peter 3[8] But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Why is it NOW, and NOT future?
Ans. See the following verse in 2 Peter:
[9] The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

I strongly believe that satan was loosed in the mid 1800s. Man, for thousands of years prior, wasn't genius enough to improve on the " wheel" until then.
So where did man's sudden genius come from these past few hundred years?
None other but satan!!

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The water we drink, flows from The Throne of Grace, and wells up unto eternal life. There is one who knows this very thing, a star that was cast down to the earth. Every thing he touches becomes bitter and leads unto death. This one will fool(deceive) many, and if possible the elect. But that is not possible, for they are sealed until The Day of Redemption.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
The water we drink, flows from The Throne of Grace, and wells up unto eternal life. There is one who knows this very thing, a star that was cast down to the earth. Every thing he touches becomes bitter and leads unto death. This one will fool(deceive) many, and if possible the elect. But that is not possible, for they are sealed until The Day of Redemption.

This reminds me of 2 Kings 4:38-41, and the remedy was flour...

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ScottA said: Death by paralysis.

And this is paralysis by false analysis.
The "Death by paralysis" that I referred to was that of the "wormwood" passage; not of "analysis" after the fact, but the death of those slang before the foundation of the world: the lost.

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It has only been hours since I heard a sermon that declared that Chernobyl translated into English is Wormwood. I don't know enough about it to have formed an opinion.

It's the Russian term for what we call "mugwort." Same genus as wormwood, but not wormwood.