Would you eat Halal?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
A Muslim friend brought to my attention a Boycott against butterball turkeys because they were halal. The reasons for the boycott are bigotry in my opinion, but it got me thinking if there is a legit reason not to eat halal. I asked how it is performed and he says the person killing the animal cuts the throat and says "In the name of God." I confirmed this later, and compared it with Kosher preparation which does not require an invocation. I pointed out that this may be a problem, as the Muslim god doesn't include Jesus, and so these are different gods. Christians were forbidden to eat food sacrificed to other gods in the early church. I know the word is idols, but took some liberty with the meaning to apply it to this situation.

If the reason for not eating food sacrificed to idols or eating blood was to avoid offending the Jewish believers, then it is no longer relevant. I'm referring to
(Acts 21:25) However if the limitation was for some symbolic or spiritual reason it may still be wise to adhere to it. And I am concerned it may be the latter because Jesus condemned it twice in revelations.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I never thought about that. I actually eat Chinese food on thanksgiving. And this last thanksgiving I drove around downtown handing out food to homeless people and went home and at a frozen pizza. So I'm not really sure I have to be overly concerned with Halal.

But seriously. Like you mentioned, it was an old testament covenant. So I think it is still okay.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I must admit I am (was) ignorant about the subject of Halal. Looking at the wikipedia definition very briefly, I'll give what I know the scripture says about it.

The reference to Acts 21:25 has to do with the ruling James (Jesus' half brother) gave at the council of Jerusalem. It's actually a rehash of Acts 15, where you can read the more direct account. I've been in some debates about this, because while Paul did walk away with that decree, I don't think he put much stock in it. I refer you to 1 Cor 8. Have a look at the whole chapter because he speaks at length about the topic. Also, look at the 10th chapter.

I'd have to look, but I think Paul had to deal with this issue a few times in Acts, and we shouldn't forget the confrontation he had with Peter as noted in Galatians.

If nothing else, look at these things as study references to enhance your knowledge base on the subject. My opinion based on the scripture is that while Paul did deliver the decree James made, he never enforced it nor did he think much of it. In fact, he indirectly preached just the opposite in that he says we are no better nor any worse with whatever we eat. He says eat whatever is put before you, and don't ask where it came from. He also says we shouldn't eat (and he wouldn't eat) anything that offends WEAK brethren. I put an emphasis on the word "weak" because you've got to realize they are weak: weak in the knowledge that grace covers it and it doesn't matter. But, it seems to me that Paul is saying suffer their weakness and ignorance for the time being. Later, you can catch them up to the truth and then you can both enjoy pork chops together.

As for Halal.... I only read a brief description and it refers to a proper way a Muslim would prepare (I guess, slay) an animal. I have no interest in eating a meal with a Muslim, but in a purely social circumstance, I would. In that case I would take Paul's advice and simply eat what was set before me. If it were a religious meal or ritual, I probably wouldn't even be close enough to accept the invitiation.

Hope that gives you.... Ummm.... Something to chew on! :)

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I apologize for the overly religious term I am going to us to describe my butterball turkey, but I feel compelled, "delicious!"

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
In my line of work I will probably be presented with food that is halal. But it seems there is no effect on the believer, so I should have no objection with eating it.

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]I don't much care for turkey, and would have preferred to share that frozen pizza with Born_Again after a long day of working for the Lord.[/SIZE]

Butterball has stopped with the halal prepared turkeys, anyways so no worries Aspen.

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
lforrest said:
A Muslim friend brought to my attention a Boycott against butterball turkeys because they were halal. The reasons for the boycott are bigotry in my opinion, but it got me thinking if there is a legit reason not to eat halal. I asked how it is performed and he says the person killing the animal cuts the throat and says "In the name of God." I confirmed this later, and compared it with Kosher preparation which does not require an invocation. I pointed out that this may be a problem, as the Muslim god doesn't include Jesus, and so these are different gods. Christians were forbidden to eat food sacrificed to other gods in the early church. I know the word is idols, but took some liberty with the meaning to apply it to this situation.

If the reason for not eating food sacrificed to idols or eating blood was to avoid offending the Jewish believers, then it is no longer relevant. I'm referring to
(Acts 21:25) However if the limitation was for some symbolic or spiritual reason it may still be wise to adhere to it. And I am concerned it may be the latter because Jesus condemned it twice in revelations.
Here's what the NT says:

Rom 14:20-21 Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for any one to make others fall by what he eats; it is right not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that makes your brother stumble.

1Co 8:8-13 Food will not commend us to God. We are no worse off if we do not eat, and no better off if we do. Only take care lest this liberty of yours somehow become a stumbling block to the weak. For if any one sees you, a man of knowledge, at table in an idol's temple, might he not be encouraged, if his conscience is weak, to eat food offered to idols? And so by your knowledge this weak man is destroyed, the brother for whom Christ died. Thus, sinning against your brethren and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if food is a cause of my brother's falling, I will never eat meat, lest I cause my brother to fall.

1Co 10:25-29 Eat whatever is sold in the meat market without raising any question on the ground of conscience. For "the earth is the Lord's, and everything in it." If one of the unbelievers invites you to dinner and you are disposed to go, eat whatever is set before you without raising any question on the ground of conscience. (But if some one says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then out of consideration for the man who informed you, and for conscience' sake--I mean his conscience, not yours--do not eat it.) For why should my liberty be determined by another man's scruples?

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lforrest said:
In my line of work I will probably be presented with food that is halal. But it seems there is no effect on the believer, so I should have no objection with eating it.

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]I don't much care for turkey, and would have preferred to share that frozen pizza with Born_Again after a long day of working for the Lord.[/SIZE]

Butterball has stopped with the halal prepared turkeys, anyways so no worries Aspen.
If you eat in a clear conscience you are fine. I believe the Acts command to the Gentiles was more for respect to the Jewish converts and believers. In all you do, do it to the glory of God. Who knows over Halal lamb, you may be able to present the Lamb of God.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
The King plainly said not that goes into your mouth defiles you.

The King spoke I listen.