Would you surrender your own beliefs in the cause of doctrinal unity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a follow-up to the previous topic: Unity of the faith - at what cost? Link below.

Probably the biggest roadblock to Christian doctrinal unity is holding on to the freedom we have to determine our own beliefs.
Would you surrender your own beliefs in the cause of Christian doctrinal unity?

Unity of the faith - at what cost?

Just to be clear, I do not seek Christian doctrinal unity. Defined as EVERYONE surrendering to a predetermined set of beliefs.
I believe that unity comes when we accept each other no matter our differences.
That we seek to understand each other instead of rejecting those whose Christian doctrine may differ.
Which presents its own set of challenges, of course. But that's another topic. (I hope) - LOL

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Would you surrender your own beliefs in the cause of doctrinal unity?​

Not a chance!
Great response, thanks.
It seems that those who call for doctrinal unity have not considered what that REALLY means.
Certainly does NOT mean we will all rally under their own personal set. (or of THEIR denomination)

• Love
Reactions: Nancy

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would depend on how Jesus was defined. Some groups say He was Michael the archangel and is Divine, others sat that He was Michael the arch angel and is merely a creature, albeit of the highest stature; others state that He is the first born spirit child of an exalted mother and father god that became Divine, and who is the spirit brother of Lucifer; others state that He was a creature but due to His loft position of being named the only begotten, He is Divine, but still a creature (akin to Arianism), others believe that He was only spirit and never took upon the flesh; others believe that He was merely one of the prophets and He will return to correct the errors of Christian beliefs concerning His Deity; others believe that He was fully God and fully man, and the list goes on. Since the 'incarnation,' all kinds of characters called Jesus have been believed in around the world. My litmus test would be that He is fully God and fully man. What do they, or will they say about Jesus/Yeshua?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a follow-up to the previous topic: Unity of the faith - at what cost? Link below.

Probably the biggest roadblock to doctrinal unity is holding on to the freedom we have to determine our own beliefs.

Unity of the faith - at what cost?

Just to be clear, I do not seek doctrinal unity. Defined as EVERYONE surrendering to a predetermined set of beliefs.
That we seek to understand each other instead of rejecting those whose doctrine may differ.
Which presents its own set of challenges, of course. But that's another topic. (I hope) - LOL
Never! That's why I have been away from the church body, I hit a roadblock at most all the churches by me. Either, uber liberal, Calvinist and a Catholic church on every corner. I no longer sense that God is directing me to even search for one. For now, even though just an online site, this IS my family...warts and all...NOT that I would agree with anything I thought was a bit off biblically.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would depend on how Jesus was defined. Some groups say He was Michael the archangel and is Divine, others sat that He was Michael the arch angel and is merely a creature, albeit of the highest stature; others state that He is the first born spirit child of an exalted mother and father god that became Divine, and who is the spirit brother of Lucifer; others state that He was a creature but due to His loft position of being named the only begotten, He is Divine, but still a creature (akin to Arianism), others believe that He was only spirit and never took upon the flesh; others believe that He was merely one of the prophets and He will return to correct the errors of Christian beliefs concerning His Deity; others believe that He was fully God and fully man, and the list goes on. Since the 'incarnation,' all kinds of characters called Jesus have been believed in around the world. My litmus test would be that He is fully God and fully man. What do they, or will they say about Jesus/Yeshua?
Thanks for your response.
I added the word "Christian" to the OP to make this more clear.
So, Christian doctrinal unity.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Just to be clear, I do not seek doctrinal unity. Defined as EVERYONE surrendering to a predetermined set of beliefs.

It could well be.. that There is a type of person, who believes that Christian Forums are just "Facebook" and "Twitter" and "Instagram" with the word "Christian" stuck in front.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLHKAJ

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your response.
I added the word "Christian" to the OP to make this more clear.
So, Christian doctrinal unity.

If it is a denominational stance or practice, then yes, because I would not want to put hurdles up that may hinder anyone from coming to Christ. I like to read different translations of the Bible, but what I have noticed is the more that I read the Bible, the more that I find out that what I previously held as a 'firm' position, may have been in error, or may need correction. This is the Holy Spirit revealing to me possible issues with my previously held positions. To me, the Bible really is a living document, and even though I have read the Bible in numerous English translations, at times a new nugget jumps out to me that I must have glossed over in the past. For me, it's a growth process, and it becomes exciting for me to see what additional nugget is revealed today that I may have missed in the past, but had always been present in the scriptures. The same thing happens when listening to sermons, where a light goes on concerning something that I never saw before. I may be an old lump of coal, but I love the growth process. God makes this walk exciting!

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it is a denominational stance or practice, then yes, because I would not want to put hurdles up that may hinder anyone from coming to Christ. I like to read different translations of the Bible, but what I have noticed is the more that I read the Bible, the more that I find out that what I previously held as a 'firm' position, may have been in error, or may need correction. This is the Holy Spirit revealing to me possible issues with my previously held positions. To me, the Bible really is a living document, and even though I have read the Bible in numerous English translations, at times a new nugget jumps out to me that I must have glossed over in the past. For me, it's a growth process, and it becomes exciting for me to see what additional nugget is revealed today that I may have missed in the past, but had always been present in the scriptures. The same thing happens when listening to sermons, where a light goes on concerning something that I never saw before. I may be an old lump of coal, but I love the growth process. God makes this walk exciting!
That's a good reason to change positions. As you grow spiritually, that can happen.
I know I have changed over time, but it has always been a willful decision on my part.
Not something required by a denomination. I would leave rather than change.
But that's just me.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just out of curiosity, what interests you about the ideal of doctrinal unity even as actual beliefs (are sacrified)? It seems a bit insincere, expressing publicly 'doctrinal unity' but in reality, in one's heart of hearts actually having other beliefs. OR do you suppose one can choose what to believer, such as 4 lights in Star Trek TNG?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just out of curiosity, what interests you about the ideal of doctrinal unity even as actual beliefs (are sacrified)? It seems a bit insincere, expressing publicly 'doctrinal unity' but in reality, in one's heart of hearts actually having other beliefs. OR do you suppose one can choose what to believer, such as 4 lights in Star Trek TNG?

Perhaps you overlooked my clarifying statement at the end of the OP? (pasted below)
I see other posters decrying the lack of doctrinal unity among believers.
Usually just stated as "unity". (doctrinal being inferred)

From the OP:
"Just to be clear, I do not seek Christian doctrinal unity. Defined as EVERYONE surrendering to a predetermined set of beliefs.
That we seek to understand each other instead of rejecting those whose Christian doctrine may differ.
Which presents its own set of challenges, of course. But that's another topic. (I hope) - LOL"

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There are eight billion people on the planet with as many opinions. What does it matter what others believe?
Ultimately, we are responsible for what we settle for...rightly or wrongly. Stroking ones ego by the insistence of being right is one option, however, this does not make the piece fit into the jigsaw no matter how much we try to force it or how hard we defend it.

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are eight billion people on the planet with as many opinions. What does it matter what others believe?
Ultimately, we are responsible for what we settle for...rightly or wrongly. Stroking ones ego by the insistence of being right is one option, however, this does not make the piece fit into the jigsaw no matter how much we try to force it or how hard we defend it.
If I am going to join with others and worship God in unity with them, then the doctrine about God/Godhead is one of the most vital issues. The point of the thread is would we surrender our beliefs for doctrinal unity, and my point is that I would not surrender or compromise on the subject of Jesus and the Godhead, otherwise the congregation would be unequally yoked. That is why it matters what others believe. Cheers.

Reactions: marks and Nancy

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I am going to join with others and worship God in unity with them, then the doctrine about God/Godhead is one of the most vital issues.
I guess I was assuming that a Christian church would be in agreement on the black and white issues, like the Trinity and deity of Christ.
There are many gray issues that Christians have a variety of positions on.
The point of the thread is would we surrender our beliefs for doctrinal unity,
Right. Would you surrender your beliefs in the gray issues to comply with doctrinal unity?
Issues like baptism (adult immersion, or infant sprinkling) , Communion/Eucharist, the law, or works?
and my point is that I would not surrender or compromise on the subject of Jesus and the Godhead, otherwise the congregation would be unequally yoked. That is why it matters what others believe. Cheers.
So, if you were in agreement on the black and white issues, you would surrender to the church on gray areas?

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you were Catholic and the only church in town was Protestant, would you convert?
(or vice versa - Protestant to Catholic)
Jehovah's Witnesses? Mormon?
I have been a Roman Catholic in the past, and they worship the same Godhead. I could still worship without converting or adhering to many of their peripheral rites and practices. I would probably blend in quite well with other Catholics that don't adhere as strictly to some of the teachings of the RCC. What would the RCC be willing to give up? I didn't think this was going to be a one way street. I have been a mormon, and they do not worship the same Godhead, so I parted ways with them decades ago. There is no going back. The JWs don't worship the same Godhead, so that would be a non-sequitur.

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NEVER, as long as I keep my beliefs centered in the Holy Spirit inspired word of God & am LED BY HIM !

Reactions: St. SteVen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you were Catholic and the only church in town was Protestant, would you convert?
(or vice versa - Protestant to Catholic)
Jehovah's Witnesses? Mormon?
That's an interesting question St. SteVen,
Personally, I'd just be a Christian shut-in. Which, I am anyhow, for a while now, lol.
And, get on Christian sites with those of like mind but, also learning what other faiths believe.
Do my own praise and worship alone which, is what fulfills me most! Taking the Lord's Supper would cause a problem though, at least with Catholics as they believe that the bread and wine literally turn into Jesus flesh and blood! (Transubstantiation) so I'd be receiving the "elements", in unbelief...
Interesting thread :)

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't think this was going to be a one way street.
That's the problem with doctrinal unity in the strict sense. It's a one way street.
Blending in is not really doctrinal unity. I blend in at my church.
Eat the meat, and spit out the bones. - lol