Write My Laws on Your Hearts

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember though, he doesn't say "the eternal laws of God are written on their hearts, rather, "the work of the law", that is, that which is produced by the law.

Much love!

Yes, it would be the "work" of the law. Those under the law, and not the Spirit, were working against their nature. But "written on their hearts" of the Spirit, the righteous requirements of the old law is fulfilled in us who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

I have a personal question if I may. Have you always been the same denomination or doctrine? Or did you ever have a dramatic change in denominations?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it would be the "work" of the law. Those under the law, and not the Spirit, were working against their nature. But "written on their hearts" of the Spirit, the righteous requirements of the old law is fulfilled in us who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

I have a personal question if I may. Have you always been the same denomination or doctrine? Or did you ever have a dramatic change in denominations?
While I've gone to churches of several different denominations over the years, I've never really thought of myself according to a denomination.

I've attending Apostolic Pentacostal, Baptist, Lutheran, Evangelical, and Calvary Chapel, for the most part. I've participated in small home groups with members from various denominations including Catholics as well as these others.

As for doctrine, I've continued in learning over the 40 years I've been a Christian, or nearly so, and mostly the past 20 years when God began a move in my life.

Things I've learned from the Scriptures have not always been things I've heard in any church, although in time, I've come to find that my ideas aren't unknown, only that I am ignorant of what many people believe, as I find quite a number of Bible teachers who understand these things exactly as I do, or so it seems.

Much love!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While I've gone to churches of several different denominations over the years, I've never really thought of myself according to a denomination.

I've attending Apostolic Pentacostal, Baptist, Lutheran, Evangelical, and Calvary Chapel, for the most part. I've participated in small home groups with members from various denominations including Catholics as well as these others.

As for doctrine, I've continued in learning over the 40 years I've been a Christian, or nearly so, and mostly the past 20 years when God began a move in my life.

Things I've learned from the Scriptures have not always been things I've heard in any church, although in time, I've come to find that my ideas aren't unknown, only that I am ignorant of what many people believe, as I find quite a number of Bible teachers who understand these things exactly as I do, or so it seems.

Much love!

Have you ever changed your view on something? Or have you continued to build on what you knew?

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It occurs to me, you've done the same thing I did.

I had written "write My laws", while its actually singular, law.

You've written "the righteous requirements of the old law",

ESV
4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit

KJV
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

upload_2020-9-11_17-16-37.png

Righteous Requirement seems to fit well.

So then here is my question . . . what exactly does that mean? What is the "righteous requirement" of the law?

Much love!

@CadyandZoe

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have to go.

I'm looking forward to continuing, great discussion!

Much love, and have a great evening!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It occurs to me, you've done the same thing I did.

I had written "write My laws", while its actually singular, law.

You've written "the righteous requirements of the old law",

ESV
4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit

KJV
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

View attachment 10619

Righteous Requirement seems to fit well.

So then here is my question . . . what exactly does that mean? What is the "righteous requirement" of the law?

Much love!

@CadyandZoe

I use NKJV

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I would agree with this.
Maybe we can connect the dots like this . . . the work of the law written on our hearts . . . the law works wrath (Romans 4) because if gives knowledge of right and wrong, just like the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Your thoughts?

Much love!
Hello @marks,

The law is not said to be written on the hearts of those who are members of the church which is Christ's Body, the fullness of Him that filleth all in all. All that can be found concerning them, is to be found in the later epistles of Paul (Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus and Philemon), on the basis of Romans 5:12-8:39.

Proverbs 3:3; Proverbs 7:3 - ' ... table of thine heart'
Jeremiah 31:33; 2 Corinthians 3:2-3; Hebrews 8:10; Hebrews 10:16 - ' ... write them in their hearts'

The address on the envelope of the book of Hebrews is obvious, however, 2 Corinthians 3:2-3 is not so obvious: yet written by Paul in the years prior to the revelation of God concerning the church which is His Body, and the truth concerning the mystery of which Christ is the Head found in His later epistles. Those being addressed in 2 Corinthians were grafted into the olive tree of Israel, and partook of the fatness of the olive tree (Romans 11:17) along with the remnant of Israel.

That's as far as I can go tonight (It is now 2,15 am).

Thank you, marks
In Christ Jesus
Chris

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @marks,

The law is not said to be written on the hearts of those who are members of the church which is Christ's Body, the fullness of Him that filleth all in all.

I always refer to Romans 8:

He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

And Jeremiah 31:

“Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— 32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the Lord. 33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”

What was it you objected to, write in or write on? I think I may have missed your point.

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

And Jeremiah 31:

“Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— 32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the Lord. 33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”

What was it you objected to, write in or write on? I think I may have missed your point.
Hello Dear heart,

I awoke this morning with the words of Galatians 2:20 on my mind and on my lips, and I can think of nothing else at the moment. For me as a believing gentile the law has no relevance: for the law was given to Israel; so whether written on tablets of stone, or on fleshy tablets of the heart it has no application to me. I reckon myself to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God, in Christ Jesus my risen and glorified, Saviour, Lord and Head.

'I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live;
yet not I, but Christ liveth in me:
and the life which I now live in the flesh
I live by the faith of the Son of God,
Who loved me, and gave Himself for me.

(Gal 2:20)

Thank you
With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

And Jeremiah 31:

It's wonderful to rest in the truth of Romans 8...

Reactions: CharismaticLady

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
for the law was given to Israel; so whether written on tablets of stone, or on fleshy tablets of the heart it has no application to me.

It is not the Ten Commandments given to Israel that is in our hearts, but the eternal law of God for the whole world. Namely, "you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind and body, and your neighbor as yourself."

The 10C were based on the eternal law, but a mere shadow and could never make anyone righteous due to the carnal sin nature inherited from Adam's sin. Jesus came to Israel, but He died for the sins of the whole world, not just for Israel.

The New Covenant written on our hearts is also based on the eternal law, but instead of being a mere shadow only given to Israel, Christians "establish" the eternal law. Romans 3:31. See how the commandments of the New Covenant are a complete facsimile of the eternal law: 1 John 3:23 "Believe on the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and love one another." It covers all.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The new covenant is the millennial covenant promise to Abraham toward his descendants, which we are adopted into it via a partial, pre-millennial experience per Hebrews 10:15-17.

Yes, the Abrahamic covenant is the same Faith on The Gospel that we have believed. That according to Apostle Paul in Galatians 3. But that Promise was not a millennial covenant. It's about The Gospel of Jesus Christ. The Gospel was preached to Abraham like Apostle Paul said.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ was part of God's Birthright Blessings first given to Abraham, and then was passed on to his son Isaac, and then to his son Jacob, whom God would give the new name Israel. That new name means 'to prevail with God's help', and it applies to all those in The Gospel of Jesus Christ, even from the days of Abraham forward.

Thing is, the orthodox Jews teach against The Gospel that is present also back in The Old Testament Books. A gifted Bible teacher ordained by God should be able to teach The Gospel from just about every Book of The Bible, because it is written of in every Book. One may not find the name Jesus in The Old Testament, but the name Jesus is just an English translation from Hebrew Joshua (which is actually a translation from Yehoshuah, which means 'Yehovah is Salvation').

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, the Abrahamic covenant is the same Faith on The Gospel that we have believed. That according to Apostle Paul in Galatians 3. But that Promise was not a millennial covenant. It's about The Gospel of Jesus Christ. The Gospel was preached to Abraham like Apostle Paul said.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ was part of God's Birthright Blessings first given to Abraham, and then was passed on to his son Isaac, and then to his son Jacob, whom God would give the new name Israel. That new name means 'to prevail with God's help', and it applies to all those in The Gospel of Jesus Christ, even from the days of Abraham forward.

Thing is, the orthodox Jews teach against The Gospel that is present also back in The Old Testament Books. A gifted Bible teacher ordained by God should be able to teach The Gospel from just about every Book of The Bible, because it is written of in every Book. One may not find the name Jesus in The Old Testament, but the name Jesus is just an English translation from Hebrew Joshua (which is actually a translation from Yehoshuah, which means 'Yehovah is Salvation').
The promise to Abraham was a promise of his physical seed being saved by Jesus(God) in the millennial reign of Christ. God did not deceive Abraham and switch it to an adopted seed, but will keep His promise, while adopting folks into the lone future covenant to Abraham along the way.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The promise to Abraham was a promise of his physical seed being saved by Jesus(God) in the millennial reign of Christ. God did not deceive Abraham and switch it to an adopted seed, but will keep His promise, while adopting folks into the lone future covenant to Abraham along the way.

God's Promise to Abraham, which Abraham believed, and God counted Abraham's Faith as righteousness, is the SAME Faith that ALL believers on Jesus Christ have believed. That is... The Gospel of Jesus Christ, and it was given PRIOR to the giving of the law to the children of Israel.

So like Apostle Paul said, those of Faith have become the "children of Abraham".

Gal 3:7-9
7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.
8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.
KJV

That bypasses any 'fleshy' idea for The Gospel of Jesus Christ! This is why the Israelite by birth that remains in unbelief WILL be 'cut off' and perish in the future "lake of fire". There is no such thing as Salvation by birth only. ALL... must believe the same Faith that Abraham believed, and that was The Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Thus Judaism is not going to save anybody.

Reactions: Nancy

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's Promise to Abraham, which Abraham believed, and God counted Abraham's Faith as righteousness, is the SAME Faith that ALL believers on Jesus Christ have believed. That is... The Gospel of Jesus Christ, and it was given PRIOR to the giving of the law to the children of Israel.

So like Apostle Paul said, those of Faith have become the "children of Abraham".

Gal 3:7-9
7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.
8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.
KJV

That bypasses any 'fleshy' idea for The Gospel of Jesus Christ! This is why the Israelite by birth that remains in unbelief WILL be 'cut off' and perish in the future "lake of fire". There is no such thing as Salvation by birth only. ALL... must believe the same Faith that Abraham believed, and that was The Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Thus Judaism is not going to save anybody.
I am not at all saying we are not ALSO of the seed of Abraham(Christ).

What I am telling you is the OP(original promise) was to his genetic seed, which God will keep in the future, by saving all Israel at one event.(Jer 31/Romans 11 etc).

All I am telling you(gentile), is that God made NO covenant with you, but allowed you into someone else's future covenant.

When you are born again, it has nothing to do with you being promised anything in past prophecy, but to the nation of Israel only.

Consider yourself a homeless spiritual hitchhiker that another family picked up on the side of the road and let you stay with them.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not at all saying we are not ALSO of the seed of Abraham(Christ).

What I am telling you is the OP(original promise) was to his genetic seed, which God will keep in the future, by saving all Israel at one event.(Jer 31/Romans 11 etc).

All I am telling you(gentile), is that God made NO covenant with you, but allowed you into someone else's future covenant.

And I am telling you (who is probably a Jew), that GOD BEFORE THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD ordained The Gospel of Jesus Christ to ALL peoples, which is what Apostle Paul showed in Ephesians 2, and Apostle Peter in 1 Peter 1:19-20 even showed.

So Sorry... God's Promise to Abraham was NOT given only to his seed, because before the foundations of the earth is a lot longer before Abraham was ever born!

Eph 1:3-5
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4 According as He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love:

5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will,
KJV

What you are pushing (in ignorance I hope), is a doctrine of the Jews, with their trying to apply the Old Testament promises as being only meant for Israel. It's that elitist mentality thing they like to do for themselves, thinking they are special unto themselves, when the reason for God have chosen Israel was for the responsibility of preaching The Gospel to those predestined to receive it!!! Most of the Jews have rejected The Gospel, so what does that show?

Reactions: Nancy

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I am telling you (who is probably a Jew), that GOD BEFORE THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD ordained The Gospel of Jesus Christ to ALL peoples, which is what Apostle Paul showed in Ephesians 2, and Apostle Peter in 1 Peter 1:19-20 even showed.

So Sorry... God's Promise to Abraham was NOT given only to his seed, because before the foundations of the earth is a lot longer before Abraham was ever born!

Eph 1:3-5
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4 According as He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love:

5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will,
KJV

What you are pushing (in ignorance I hope), is a doctrine of the Jews, with their trying to apply the Old Testament promises as being only meant for Israel. It's that elitist mentality thing they like to do for themselves, thinking they are special unto themselves, when the reason for God have chosen Israel was for the responsibility of preaching The Gospel to those predestined to receive it!!! Most of the Jews have rejected The Gospel, so what does that show?
Okay, you asked for it.

Who was this passage written to?....

Jer 31
31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

....you, or future national Israel?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, you asked for it.

Who was this passage written to?....

Jer 31
31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

....you, or future national Israel?

It of course was written to ALL... believers of The New Covenant Jesus Christ!

Heb 8:6-8
6 But now hath He obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also He is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
8 For finding fault with them, He saith, "Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:"
KJV

Of course, Judaism doesn't recognize The New Covenant, nor The New Testament Scripture like the above, which is about Jesus Christ The Mediator of a better Covenant, The New Covenant.

DO YOU BELIEVE THE NEW COVENANT IS JESUS CHRIST?