yesterday was my birthday but have you ever wonder when did people celebrated their birthdays

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl Even with Christmas, it's not so much the exact date as it is an opportunity to remember the glorious Incarnation! :)
So true. The Jews had a tradition of honouring God with their festivals and nobody suggests that they are wrong. To me celebrating the birth of the King of kings is in keeping with that tradition.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
people did not celebrated their birthdays not until calendar was discovered

have you ever wonder what is the origin of birthdays

i did and so i asked the bible and the bible told me that no true christians ever celebrated their birthdays not even christ did only those false gods the pharaohs then the kings and then the nobles the birthdays used to be a form of luxury and a lot of people cannot do so for them birth dates are just like any other day a normal day

it shocked me when i researched about birthday

the purpose of birthday used to be only just for protection from harm the birthday cakes are an offering to the gods and by blowing the candles means a signal to send your wishes/prayers to the gods gifts are for the purposed of increasing the protection candles are a light against darkness to welcome the evil spirits a crowd families friends will gather the birthday person and protect that person they make noises to ward off evil spirits

and then i knew it just like how december 25 the birth of the
This Mithra or Mitra (Sun-God) is believed to be a Mediator between God and man, between the Sky and the Earth. It is said that Mithra or [the] Sun took birth in the Cave on December 25th. It is also the belief of the Christian world that Mithra or the Sun-God was born of [a] Virgin.
sounds like someone you knew right?
was replaced by christmas and the one who did it was the romans the catholic also did the same to birthdays

and so i remembered this
and i am sure this is them
Many will say to me on that day, ’Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’
and the lord never knew them
@stredIaleve it doesn't really matter what pagans did, we don't believe in any of that.

Traditions and customs evolved over thousands of years. We just get to see the candles grow every year and eat a bunch of cake.

What it used to be doesn't even come close to what people are doing now. It's a significantly different cultural celebration.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks farouk - it's 50 - next Wednesday. But maybe that's something that shouldn't be celebrated either.
Very soon then. Our 50th will be this next June 25th. I can remember some things so very clearly from those early days of our marriage. It is hard to believe that so much time has passed...

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I think it is something I want to keep for my children. God made all things new, so I don't believe there is anything to feel guilty about.
uhh i think there is because christmas day was the day that was patched from the day that the sun god was born and like jesus the sun god was also given birth by a virgin and winter is not really the right season for the birth of the true begotten son of God for sheeps would be dead if you try to do those things
easier to give up
i knew it

you may not be talking to me but right now i am
it's hard to give up because you like it you are gaining something from it but that's the test of God give up your life and take up the burden and follow but most of the christian will not even if they were called for many have been called only a few would follow that's a fact that is written in a different way

as for us we celebrated christmas but because it is the only right time for a reunion everyone have no work and that is also because they do not know that is was came from the pagan beliefs or even if they know it doesn't matter it was already a part of the tradition that hard to remove but i will if i have the last decision

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is your heart and your life to make do with, which God has provided. The choices are all yours, but really within our choices, ultimately there are only two: God's perfect choice for us and our own for us. God, I believe, is pleased for us to use properly all that He has provided for us here. If in doing that, including celebrating this thing or that thing, we keep always first those things which God told us must be first, we will not go wrong.

He is the One that must always lead, but on a smaller scale, within what His leadership allows, you are the leader [along with your spouse] for your own family certainly.

What are the available blessings of God here on planet Earth during our allotted time? Should we all cast all of them aside and become hermits and stoics? Indeed, not!

"He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.
I know that there is no good in them, but for a man to rejoice, and to do good in his life.
And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God." Ecc 3:11-13

"Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;" I Tim 6:17

Never in all these things forget the first things:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

Amen!

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
as for us we celebrated christmas but because it is the only right time for a reunion everyone have no work and that is also because they do not know that is was came from the pagan beliefs or even if they know it doesn't matter it was already a part of the tradition that hard to remove but i will if i have the last decision

OK for you to do it under that guise, but not OK for Mayflower?
Here pot here kettle?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That is wonderful. I had recently heard of Sukkot, and thought maybe this would be better then Christmas, but looking back in memories of my own childhood, Christmas was a very special time for me. I think it is something I want to keep for my children. God made all things new, so I don't believe there is anything to feel guilty about. The Easter bunny and Halloween, it is something that was a lot easier to give up then I thought it would be. But in thinking on those things whatever is good and lovely, Christmas and Birthdays are part of that for us. Easter had become Resurrection Sunday!
@Mayflower In the end it's not so much the date as the doctrine (Incarnation; Resurrection), right? :)

Reactions: Mayflower

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
OK for you to do it under that guise, but not OK for Mayflower?
Here pot here kettle?
ahem you probably did not understand what i meant you should read it again for i have no idea how to make it more clear

it's because that's not what i was saying i was saying that a lot of people have been called including us but only a few will answer do you get it now?

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
in the end just like anyone of you i also am a sinner so have no right to force you to do this and to do that i am only sharing because there seems to be no topic about this

Reactions: Mayflower

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
uhh i think there is because christmas day was the day that was patched from the day that the sun god was born and like jesus the sun god was also given birth by a virgin and winter is not really the right season for the birth of the true begotten son of God for sheeps would be dead if you try to do those things
You know what I'm going to be honest- been thinking about this too after I saw some research on it.

My mom isn't celebrating this year. This is accurate, December 25th was the date for the pagan celebration, but there is history missing.

The church of Rome began celebrating the birth of Christ under Constantine, who made Christianity the religion they would stick to.

So it is possible that the reason they chose December 25th as the day to celebrate Christ (other than conception was predicted to be March 25th), was basically to abolish the pagan celebration, it would lose its strength, and a movement of Christianity would take its place.

So, Merry Christmas:D

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yesterday was my birthday but have you ever wonder when did people celebrated their birthdays
OP^

I think there are fine lines between:
Celebrate and Party.

Celebrate seems (IMO) moreso of inviting of persons to give honor toward a particular person(S)...
A day to honor the Lord, who laid down His life for all men,
A day to honor acts of bravery of one who put his life in harms way, very likely to loose his life, to save another’s life..(honored given medals).
Awards programs, (Hollywood oscars for example, honored receive a “trophy”, guests receive “gift bags”), etc.

Party seems (IMO) moreso of an inviting of persons to socialize in fun activities while acknowledging the intent of the party...
A persons day of birth, a persons day of retirement, a persons day of graduation, a persons day of buying first home, etc.

I think it is more usual for people to invite others to birthday parties, rather than birthday celebrations.

Birthday “parties”, probably ARE a spin off from pagan birthday celebrations; whereby the celebration was to “give honor” to an individual and hope the “honored” would entreat the one “giving honor”, with a granted request...(ie gift). (Sort of a reverse, of who gives who a gift).

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
However Christ's birth started to be celebrated on Dec 25th is irrelevant now for Christians. It is only people digging up the pagan rituals etc that has brought about this discussion about whether it is right or not. Everyday of the week and month of the year is pagan in some way so Dec 25th is a good enough day for us to remember and celebrate the birth of our Saviour. And there will probably be the same arguments about Easter. So forget all the arguments and put your heart and soul into celebrating Jesus' birth.

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
You know what I'm going to be honest- been thinking about this too after I saw some research on it.

My mom isn't celebrating this year. This is accurate, December 25th was the date for the pagan celebration, but there is history missing.

The church of Rome began celebrating the birth of Christ under Constantine, who made Christianity the religion they would stick to.

So it is possible that the reason they chose December 25th as the day to celebrate Christ (other than conception was predicted to be March 25th), was basically to abolish the pagan celebration, it would lose its strength, and a movement of Christianity would take its place.

So, Merry Christmas:D
yep but i always had this question
is it really right to solve wrong with another wrong to make it right
but I'm not teaching you I'm just asking for me and not for you
because even i heard myself i sound like i am forcing you but nope it's for me
i also had these thoughts a few days ago it was wrong to the common sense of this world but based on the bible it's not but i already forgotten what's that was all about

Reactions: DuckieLady

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
It is only people digging up the pagan rituals etc that has brought about this discussion about whether it is right or not.
if you did not dig up where you came would you ever known that you came from the offspring of one male and female would you ever know that God is God that the ruler of this world is him our enemy
Everyday of the week and month of the year is pagan in some way so Dec 25th is a good enough day for us to remember and celebrate the birth of our Saviour.
that's the problem pagan used to or still celebrating birth of almost the same
it's like it's alright for you *sigh nevermind i am annoyed that i can never make you...

let's just.. i'll do what i do and do what you do
So forget all the arguments and put your heart and soul into celebrating Jesus' birth
yes and nope

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
OP^

I think there are fine lines between:
Celebrate and Party.

Celebrate seems (IMO) moreso of inviting of persons to give honor toward a particular person(S)...
A day to honor the Lord, who laid down His life for all men,
A day to honor acts of bravery of one who put his life in harms way, very likely to loose his life, to save another’s life..(honored given medals).
Awards programs, (Hollywood oscars for example, honored receive a “trophy”, guests receive “gift bags”), etc.

Party seems (IMO) moreso of an inviting of persons to socialize in fun activities while acknowledging the intent of the party...
A persons day of birth, a persons day of retirement, a persons day of graduation, a persons day of buying first home, etc.

I think it is more usual for people to invite others to birthday parties, rather than birthday celebrations.

Birthday “parties”, probably ARE a spin off from pagan birthday celebrations; whereby the celebration was to “give honor” to an individual and hope the “honored” would entreat the one “giving honor”, with a granted request...(ie gift). (Sort of a reverse, of who gives who a gift).

i agree

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yep but i always had this question
is it really right to solve wrong with another wrong to make it right
but I'm not teaching you I'm just asking for me and not for you
because even i heard myself i sound like i am forcing you but nope it's for me
i also had these thoughts a few days ago it was wrong to the common sense of this world but based on the bible it's not but i already forgotten what's that was all about
I don't think you're trying to force anything on anyone @stredaleve . I think you're just trying to figure stuff out and believe me, we all go through the same or similar phases, a lot here have asked the same question- myself included.

And we should ask ourselves questions. It's part of learning.

Just ask God for wisdom and he'll lead you in the right direction.