yesterday was my birthday but have you ever wonder when did people celebrated their birthdays

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I don't think you're trying to force anything on anyone @stredaleve . I think you're just trying to figure stuff out and believe me, we all go through the same or similar phases, a lot here have asked the same question- myself included.

And we should ask ourselves questions. It's part of learning.

Just ask God for wisdom and he'll lead you in the right direction.
thank you good thing people like you can understand because i bet only a few can or will

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
thank you good thing people like you can understand because i bet only a few can or will
No problem, anytime. :) Trust me the learning is a lifelong journey and it just keeps going. Lol We all have to figure these things out for ourselves at some point.

Sometimes it is easy to forget our own history of learning and that others are going to have to learn, too. We should build up and encourage one another in those times.

God bless you! <3

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

IMO...it goes even deeper...
For example...
An honored soldier, who willingly put his life on the line...he receives a medal of recognition of what he DID. He does not in turn “grant or gives gifts for being honored”.

(Personally, I would have a cringe thought, IF the “one awarding” was not themselves honorable...just saying)

And the Oscars, awards for performances of actors, and the “attendee”, who voted for the Oscar winners...receive “gifts”.
(The gifts, for years have been outrageous, (ranging up to nearly 250,000 outrageous) and gone through some “changes”)...
Interesting article; “titled” regarding the gifts, and how the “giving” has changed over the years, and why.
* The weird, contentious tradition of Oscars gift bags, explained
Source The Vox.

In Biblical descriptions, the “honored”, at celebrations, WERE, seated dignitaries ... already REQUIRED by the Public at large, (peons), to honor the “seated” dignitary, typically “a king”, weather or not the people was an “attendee” of the celebration. And IF an person, was in “attendance” at the celebration....the “honored”...ie king....could, and would grant “favors, wishes, desires, requests”...to “certain” attendees.

I do recognize at some “kids” birthday parties, little gift bags, with little trinkets or candy, are given to the attendees. Not so much as a “reward”, but rather as a “thanks for coming to the party and having fun together”...
It is probably a spin off from, a king granting favors of a gift....or maybe just to sooth “little” whinny kids who do not yet comprehend why no one gave them gifts....LOL

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You sound like a JW - they don't do birthdays or Christmas
Why is it that when Orthodox Christians are given the biblical position on a matter, the Orthodox Christians' immediate reaction is "you sound like a JW"? Why can't it be that someone simply believes God and that the Orthodox Christian is simply trying to protect a cherished anti-biblical position?

The fact of the matter is that you won't find a single man or woman of God celebrating their own birthday in the Bible. Not one. Christ didn't even deem His own birthday to be important enough to celebrate, so what kind of justification can anyone else offer to justify celebrating their own?. Birthday parties clearly involve demonism and idolatry. Just because something looks harmless, it doesn't mean it truly is harmless. The Bible says Satan packages himself as an angel of light, and the same principle goes for the customs he inspired. I strongly recommend that you read Ecc. 7:1 where it says the day someone dies is a lot more important than the day they were born.
@Pearl Even with Christmas, it's not so much the exact date as it is an opportunity to remember the glorious Incarnation! :)
Christians don't take prerogatives upon themselves to decide they will worship Jesus however way they want and He just has to accept it because their intentions are good. As Jesus Himself stated to the Samaritan woman, God wants people who will worship Him with truth as well as good intentions. The worship religious people think is going towards Jesus on Dec. 25th is actually going to Satan. This kind of reasoning further proves why Jesus said many are on the road to destruction, including people who call themselves Christians.
@stredIaleve it doesn't really matter what pagans did, we don't believe in any of that.

Traditions and customs evolved over thousands of years. We just get to see the candles grow every year and eat a bunch of cake.

What it used to be doesn't even come close to what people are doing now. It's a significantly different cultural celebration.
It does matter what the pagans did, because Satan uses the exact same methods to deceive the world into worshiping him today. Just because the traditions and the justification for them have changed over time, it doesn't make them any less satanic. The people who celebrate these customs are still giving their worship to the same evil spirit behind all of them. The fact that the Bible doesn't mention any of these things being practiced during the Millennium completely destroys your position.

If there was any validity to your argument, then why is it that anti-abortion Catholics and Protestants see no difference between the modern abortion practice and the Molech worship of antiquity? After all, the people who murder their own babies today aren't throwing their kids in bonfires and nobody is beating any drums while it happens. Not only is your argument extremely asinine, it is completely illogical, hypocritical, and antichrist.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christmas today is not the same as it used to be - no longer celebrated as a religious festival but as a time of excess and consumerism and materialism. This year I have decided that I don't need a tree or decorations and we're only having a turkey dinner because we'll be at my daughter's - left to me we'd be having what we normally have = perhaps a chicken casserole.
I'm with you on this Pearl...I have come to detest the Holidays anymore, just want to hide away till they are over. So stressful and not a thing about Christ is included in this world. I do not remember the las time I went ANYWHERE on a Holiday. Not for lack of places to go but, too stressful and Christ-less. Not to say that if one has children, let them have their fun...long as they understand what Christmas is supposed to represent.
xx

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'm with you on this Pearl...I have come to detest the Holidays anymore, just want to hide away till they are over. So stressful and not a thing about Christ is included in this world. I do not remember the las time I went ANYWHERE on a Holiday. Not for lack of places to go but, too stressful and Christ-less. Not to say that if one has children, let them have their fun...long as they understand what Christmas is supposed to represent.
xx
i was so fed up of materialism on the high street and media hype well before December even started that I didn't do anything special here at home but we did have two lovely days over the Christmas period as we celebrated a grandaughter's 14th birthday with family on the 24th and celebrated Jesus's birth with more family on 25th. I even got to raise a toast to say Happy Birthday Jesus.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Christians don't take prerogatives upon themselves to decide they will worship Jesus
Christmas is not about worshiping Jesus but about celebrating his birth to a young virgin, and that he is Immanuel - God with us - and Saviour of the world. Saviour's Day. Why would I not want to celebrate my Saviour's birth and also his resurrection from the dead at what we commonly call Easter or Resurrection Sunday. We all do know that these are not the exact dates but it is not important. What is important is the connection - that we humans have a way to connect with God because of Jesus. There is no other way - so Jesus is worthy to be celebrated every day of the year plus an extra one in leap years. Praise His Holy Name.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Birthdays....Easter.....Christmas.....it is what you make of it.
Indoor and outdoor décor.....monster Christmas tree decorated with a collection of hallmark ornaments that my son and daughter picked out when they were growing up. Some that they made themselves. Some from my son that passed on.
Elf on the shelf for my grand kids.
Friends and family gather and fellowship and give thanks to the Lord.
Watching classic Christmas specials.
Easter and Christmas plays at the churches.
Church dinners.
I believe gathering and celebrating is good for people. Times are rough and unstable.....good to get together....celebrate in general.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So it is possible that the reason they chose December 25th as the day to celebrate Christ (other than conception was predicted to be March 25th), was basically to abolish the pagan celebration, it would lose its strength, and a movement of Christianity would take its place.

'Capture every thought for Christ'

What matters more? the day of the Celebration, or the focus of the Celebration? A pagan idol or the birth of the Light of the World?

Merry Christmas!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Capture every thought for Christ'

What matters more? the day of the Celebration, or the focus of the Celebration? A pagan idol or the birth of the Light of the World?

Merry Christmas!
I've been thinking about this, too, lately more after I found out about Tammuz and Easter, and where the rabbits and eggs come from.

I can honestly say I don't have all of the answers and I am seeing a lot of weird in everything now, but I would say the focus. :)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i was so fed up of materialism on the high street and media hype well before December even started that I didn't do anything special here at home but we did have two lovely days over the Christmas period as we celebrated a grandaughter's 14th birthday with family on the 24th and celebrated Jesus's birth with more family on 25th. I even got to raise a toast to say Happy Birthday Jesus.

Wonderful memories :) no matter the "day".
xx

Reactions: Pearl

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Why is it that when Orthodox Christians are given the biblical position on a matter, the Orthodox Christians' immediate reaction is "you sound like a JW"? Why can't it be that someone simply believes God and that the Orthodox Christian is simply trying to protect a cherished anti-biblical position?
good question i also wonder why their world are black and white maybe it's because of this? if it's not no then there's only one answer it's yes
Matthew 12:30 "Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.