Yet another question

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

blessed76

Feb 18, 2008
Okay, I know I am going to get greatly differing opinions on this, but I am so confused that I have to ask.I don't understand the whole evolution thing. Seriously. And please don't just throw Bible passages at me. If you have knowledge on this, or an opinion on this, feel free to use passages in your explanation, but don't just put a bunch of verses up. I won't get it, I can guarantee.Some theories of evolution have been proven scientifically. For instance, is it known and proven that we have evolved from cavemen. But didn't God say he made us in His likeness? I don't understand. I believe that God created everything, I really do, but having lived as long as I have being fed theories of the world, I have gotten confused. Especially when science can prove some of what they say.

kalixx

Nov 19, 2007
You are right that this is a huge field with very many opinions, I wish you luck
smile.gif
There are several schools of thought here. For example, we could say that there is natural evolution v. God-controlled evolution. I.e. the world (universe) and everything in it has simply evolved by chance through a mixture of reactions to environmental stimuli and mutation v. a world that been evolved deliberately through the control of external intelligence (God). I.e. God used evolution as his tool in creation.Then there is fundamental bible literal creation (the "magic wand" stuff) v. the God-controlled evolutionary process.Then we have to remember that there is evolution and speciation. Speciation is where several breeds evolve from the same source, i.e. various tree types, various types of roses, horses and zebras, etc. But evolution would trace back all forms of life to the same common early primitive life form, e.g. elephants and seaweed have ultimately the same ancestors if you could go back far enough.I think when God says that he made us in his likeness, he is not referring to physical appearance. Rather, he is referring to our nature and spirit. That we have qualities of love, conscience, compassion, a love of freedom, awareness of time and space, an urge to explore, understand and develop, a yearning for justice and equality, fulfilment, peace and unity with all things. In my opinion, such are the qualities that I would see God having that he would instil in humans. I believe that when the Bible reports Jesus as saying if you know me then you know the Father, he was referring to precisely this fact that Jesus represents humankind exactly as God intends it to be and that in Jesus are visible all the human qualities that are reflections of the very nature of God Himself - that God Himself put there.Might be worth fastening your seatbelt now as the alternatives start to fly
smile.gif

kalixx

Nov 19, 2007
Another thought:One of the difficulties with the bible is that some of it is literal, some of it is parable, and some of it symbolic. The problem is in deciding which is the case with each passage. I.e. Are Adam and Eve literal, a story, or simply symbolic of the nature of the human race? But I think in many cases it is not too important because it is the message that it conveys that matters, and what it is telling us today. For example the literal story tells us that God created Adam and Eve, who then had two children Cain and then Abel. Cain killed Abel and was sent out into the world by God. However, we are then told that Cain married and built a city. One could ask where did his wife come from and the inhabitants of that city? It could be that the time scale is so long that Adam and Eve had time to give birth to lots of others not mentioned in the Bible, but it may also be that the entire story is only a parable symbolising the state and nature of early humanity.It is hard for us to put ourselves in the position of writers and readers in those times. Personally, I think it best to simply settle with whatever you are most comfortable with.
smile.gif
I am happy to leave such matters open and take an interest in all the options rather than try to force myself to accept one and then have to justify it all the time.....
smile.gif

waynemlj

Feb 8, 2008
Hi blesses76,No, the widespread scientific theories of evolution are not correct. God made every kind of plant with its seed inside. He did the same for ever kind of fish and all the other animals.The last act of Creation was man. Gen.2:7, "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."There was no evolution! God made man directly. Also, please be sure to notice that God didn't breathe life into any other creature . . . only man. I have to give you one more Scripture verse so that you will be clear that evolution is an absolute lie.Gen.1:27, "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."God didn't cause man to evolve from some animal life form, did He?He created him a totally separate and special creation.You have the choice -- to believe God's inerrant and holy Word or to believe man's foolish and ignorant theories.waynemlj

kalixx

Nov 19, 2007
Actually, from the biblical perspective, one perhaps does not need to go back to the Creation story, but can just as easily start from Noah and the flood. After the flood, the only life left on earth was Noah and his family and the animals, etc on board. The question then is do you want to believe that every single form of dry land life today was represented on the Ark.I think it is quite clear that there IS a form of evolution in that animals and plants do adapt to prolonged environmental change, even amongst humans, and that humans deliberately use cross-breeding and in-breeding to produce different variations of animal breeds, plants, fruits, etc that did not exist before. However, that is not the same as creating a banana out of a frog....however, I find the Ark thing a little difficult to accept as fully literal.

Beano

Feb 7, 2008
Here,s one theory I think you can rule out.The Big Bang TheoryIf I put a stick of dynamite down the seat of my pants it wouldnt create a bigger, better more improved me, just a mess. Logic tells you that out of an explosion the size evolutionists claim it would have took to create this world, would have created chaos and destruction, not life, order and design that you see around you today.Kevin

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(kalixx;36924)
Actually, from the biblical perspective, one perhaps does not need to go back to the Creation story, but can just as easily start from Noah and the flood. After the flood, the only life left on earth was Noah and his family and the animals, etc on board. The question then is do you want to believe that every single form of dry land life today was represented on the Ark.I think it is quite clear that there IS a form of evolution in that animals and plants do adapt to prolonged environmental change, even amongst humans, and that humans deliberately use cross-breeding and in-breeding to produce different variations of animal breeds, plants, fruits, etc that did not exist before. However, that is not the same as creating a banana out of a frog....however, I find the Ark thing a little difficult to accept as fully literal.
Thats not entirely true it says there were eight of Noahs line aboard the Ark that is there were eight Adamic souls on the Ark if you look at the Hebrew we are told two of everything with the breath of life in it was aboard the Ark that means that two of every race created on the sixth day was aboard the Ark the story is about these eight souls yes but it doesnt mean they were all that was on board the Ark.

kalixx

Nov 19, 2007
(kriss;36929)
there were eight Adamic souls on the Ark if you look at the Hebrew we are told two of everything with the breath of life in it was aboard the Ark that means that two of every race created on the sixth day was aboard the Ark the story is about these eight souls yes but it doesnt mean they were all that was on board the Ark.
Interesting point! I did actually say Noah's family, not just Noah, but I have never heard it suggested that the Ark was full of pairs of different races of humans
smile.gif
. How does this fit with Gen 9:18,19 ("The sons of Noah who came out of the ark were Shem, Ham and Japheth....These were the three sons of Noah, and from them came the people who were scattered over the earth.")But what do you mean by race? Surely there was only Adam and Eve in the sixth day creation scenario? What is the difference between tribes and races? Was not the scattering over the world and the mixing of languages a consequence of the Tower of Babel?Good point, Kriss, thankyou.

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
(blessed76;36895)
Okay, I know I am going to get greatly differing opinions on this, but I am so confused that I have to ask.I don't understand the whole evolution thing. Seriously. And please don't just throw Bible passages at me. If you have knowledge on this, or an opinion on this, feel free to use passages in your explanation, but don't just put a bunch of verses up. I won't get it, I can guarantee.Some theories of evolution have been proven scientifically. For instance, is it known and proven that we have evolved from cavemen. But didn't God say he made us in His likeness? I don't understand. I believe that God created everything, I really do, but having lived as long as I have being fed theories of the world, I have gotten confused. Especially when science can prove some of what they say.
The answer is found between Genesis 1: 1, and 1: 2. The Hebrew reads like, "In the beginin [First] God created the heaven and earth.v2 and the earth was [ became] without form and viod: and darkness".God didn't creat a dark world that was void. The first thing God said was, "Let there be light". What He actually said was, "LIGHT BE" .Then we see in Genesis 1: 28, It says, "Replenish the earth". The word " Replenish" is a combination of, " Again -Fill". God told Adam and Eve to fill the earth AGAIN, You can't refill something that hasn't been filled before. there could have been millions of years between Genesis 1: 1, and 1: 2, That is when satan and two thirds of fallen angels inhabated the earth, there was giants in that first creation, we know that because some of them were still around in Genesis ch 6. they were Demonic beings. If there was dinosous, cave men and other prehistoric creatures on the earth, that is when they were here, The word "PRE- HISTORIC" is spot on, they were before the word as we know it today.

blessed76

Feb 18, 2008
WOW.Great input. I never thought of it in some of the ways you all describe! Alan and Kalixx, I especially found the school of thought on the time line fascinating. Thanks!

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
Evolution the belief we evolved from one cell organism to a multi--structural cell body.If this were possible there would still have to be something that created the earth,Which scientist believe in the "big bang theory",But how did life beging,For life to begin there had to be a source of creation if I am correct,there was nothing on earth when the so called "big bang" theory how did life exist,Scientist have no true explanation from this!,And Cavemen-were still Gods people,and they did worship God,we call them cavemen due because they lived in CAVES,not because they did other wacky stuff. They say the earths atmosphere is an arrangement of gases,how did those gases magical arrange on only ONE EARTH,So going on with the whole big bang theory and the atmosphere,what created the cells? there was nothing if your going by the theory.I may be wrong I really have not studied to much on this,but if we were to go from a one celled organism then how did we eventually get bigger and bigger into a human,and other creatures were made,yet we turned out the superior one? Scientists HAVE NO EVIDENCE~It is just a guess,they make inferences and try to prove them but they can not! The bible shows us who created the earth,the lights etc! And that is proofSo basically the whole turn from one cell to us is impossible,and scientist usually have more faith than those who believe in God about this theory for they have no proof,We have the bible
smile.gif

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
(blessed76;36895)
I don't understand the whole evolution thing..
Neither do scientists, that's why they call it the THEORY of Evolution..
wink.gif
A theory is just a set of assorted ideas, guesses and hunches, so until they start calling it the FACT of Evolution, that's all it'll ever be - a hunch..
smile.gif
But personally I couldn't care less whether we evolved from apes or anything else, because if we did, God willed it, no problem..
smile.gif
In fact, we could say that he wrote the Creation/Evolution Program, then snapped his fingers to start it, THAT was the Big Bang..
smile.gif

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
A few years ago I bought Richard Dawkins book 'Climbing Mount Improbable' to see what the state of current evolutionary thinking was, as I fully expected to see Dawkins leading us gently and smoothly up the slope of evolution, explaining in detail how each lfe-form gradually evolved. But the book did nothing of the sort and was almost a joke, a complete mess, strewn with gaps and missing links on every page!Dawkins uses words and phrases all the time such as -"we can speculate that..", "we can assume..", "probably", "perhaps" etc etc.In short the bulk of the book is just guesswork. In one part he descibes how a fishes eye 'evolved' - "It was not difficult for a lump of transparent jelly to spontaneously appear".In other words he's saying it appeared out of thin air on its own without any help!

kentots

Feb 20, 2008
You never know what all died before our generation (could of been more animals). So many ideas and hypothesis you could come up with. I don't mind people coming up with ideas, but put God into the factor and always leave it as a thought, never put it in stone. Why i say this is because we can never be quite sure on some things, and really need God's knowledge on the parts we don't know. Most of us could be wrong on many things. Now for knowledge in the bible, that is pretty concrete, you can't change it because it is real.