You read KJV that fine!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What all these arguments of different/ing translations of the Bible is saying as well as showing is how far along the "great drifting away trail" this 'ol world has/is become.

Or?

Another way of putting it, is that the "meat" contained within the Word of God has been replaced by those who would rather be fed by "chewed up again milk." Liking it to putting feathers in their "spiritual caps" considering themselves as enlightened. Forget the "meat!"

Jez a "sign of the times" from He who knows the end from the beginning.
This is total nonsense. It has nothing to do with the "great drifting away trail this 'ol world has/is become", which is itself confusing. The world has become a trail???

And claiming that the "meat" contained within the Word of God has been replaced by those who would rather be fed by "chewed up again milk" is nonsense. Why doest thou thinkest that when of olde times Englyshe was of a clearer way than how they speaketh in common days"? People, including yourself, no longer communicate in a dead form of Englyshe. It is dead!!! Even though it was the common language centuries ago, it is no longer used anywhere on the planet.

Maybe you feel more holy or religious couching God's word in a confusing, dead language and think somehow that it is more holy or something but read this carefully...

Jesus was a rural Galilean who spoke Aramaic, the common language of the people. He spoketh not in a florid tongue! The same goes for Paul and the other NT authors. And the OT Hebrew was the common language of the Jews.

I'm sure that a lot of Bibles are sold because they claim that their translation is the most literal and accurate, but claiming it is doesn't make it so. The best translation is the one that communicates the words and the meaning most clearly.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What?
Are you a KJVO?
Not sure where the "created for the Pentecostal movement" idea came from. ???
As I understand it, they had an international board that spanned many countries and denominations.
I don't get the charge of "no use for the Deity of Christ" either.
I have yet to find a translation that works better for me personally.
And I do miss the 1985 edition. (if I remember that year correctly) 1984 maybe, or '86? This one.
Totally destroyed that book with my early Bible study. Maybe that's why I love it.

View attachment 31708
Great post!

I still have both my NIV paperback NT, published in 1973 and my burgundy leather complete NIV, published in 1978. (I also have a soldier's pocket NT published in 1865!) I use the 1978 NIV, along with other translations, in my stack that I read daily.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The NIV is one of the worst Translations ever created.
Its basically created for the Pentecostal movement, and it has no use for the Deity of Christ, among many other Theological issues, regarding its text.
Avoid it completely.
The NIV is one of the best translations ever created. It is the best-selling translation as of 2022.

In 2022, the top five best-selling translations were the following:
  • New International Version.
  • English Standard Version.
  • New Living Translation.
  • King James Version.
  • Christian Standard Bible.
It was not created for the Pentecostal movement; that is nonsense.

BTW, if you are such a stickler for "correct" English, why is your English full of errors?

a) Why is "Translations" capitalized?
b) When you wrote "Its basically created for the Pentecostal movement", did you mean that "it was basically created for the Pentecostal movement". "its" is a possessive; and "it's" is a contraction of "it is" (present tense).
c) When you wrote "it has no use for the Deity of Christ", does a book have intent?

In other words, don't be so quick to criticize the best-selling English translation if you have trouble with standard English. How can you use a less-clear Bible than the NIV and claim to understand what it means?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here are some problems that are immediately apparent...

a) The original source document was not divided into chapters and verses. In fact, there were not any punctuation marks. So these divisions are artificial.
That "problem" is true of ALL Bibles, not just the YLT. What were you saying about straw men?
If Young's is your preferred translation, fine, then use it, even though it is not written in a style where the meaning is clear.
No, it serves as a study Bible, a comparative.

Matthew 25:46 YLT
And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during.'
It has nothing to do with doctrine. That is a straw man argument.
I have seen people do exactly that. Look up a few key verses to see if they accept or reject, a translation.
In my opinion, the best translations are those that communicate the ideas, doctrines and concepts that the authors intended, in the clearest, most understandable way to our 21st Century minds.
There are other reasons. YLT doesn't fit that model.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
The NIV is one of the best translations ever created. It is the best-selling translation as of 2022.

Dont look for the "best selling", as that is a secular mindset perspective

Dont' pick sides as that is a secular mindset perspective

Look for Truth.....

And as i told you, the NIV is a terrible translation., and i explained why, briefly.

Reactions: NayborBear

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
It was not created for the Pentecostal movement; that is nonsense.

The NIV dilutes the word of God and tries to hide the Deity of Christ among other errors.
It often removes, "Jesus", "God", and "Lord" from many verses.

Notice..

KJV. :: But seek ye first the kingdom of GOD, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

NIV : But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Notice

KJV : Jesus saith unto them, Have ye understood all these things? They say unto him, Yea, LORD.

Niv : "Have you understood all these things?" Jesus asked.“"Yes," they replied.

Notice :

KJV : Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was JESUS the Christ.

Niv : Then he warned his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Christ.

Notice :

KJV : For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.

Niv : Omits the verse

I could literally write 100 more "issues" that the NIV has, and some are worse then i posted.

You go ahead and believe what you want to believe, and dont let the facts get in your way, Jim B.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That "problem" is true of ALL Bibles, not just the YLT. What were you saying about straw men?

No, it serves as a study Bible, a comparative.

Matthew 25:46 YLT
And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during.'

I have seen people do exactly that. Look up a few key verses to see if they accept or reject, a translation.

There are other reasons. YLT doesn't fit that model.
a) Not all Bibles are divided into chapters and separate verses, as are the KJV and the YLT. Many modern Bibles are divided into paragraphs, with verse numbered added as references (which is what they actually are. They are not part of the source documents.

Here are two examples, chosen randomly, that show the formatting differences...

1 Timothy 2:1-7 (NRSVue)...

1 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, 2 for kings and all who are in high positions, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and dignity. 3 This is right and acceptable before God our Savior, 4 who desires everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5 For

there is one God;
there is also one mediator between God and humankind,
Christ Jesus, himself human,
6 who gave himself a ransom for all
—this was attested at the right time. 7 For this I was appointed a herald and an apostle (I am telling the truth[a]; I am not lying), a teacher of the gentiles in faith and truth.

(the [a] refers to a footnote: Other ancient authorities add in Christ

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Timothy 2:1-7 (KJV)...

1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Greek was not artificially divided into these separate verses. THE KJV format clearly distorts the message, as does the YLT...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 I exhort, then, first of all, there be made supplications, prayers, intercessions, thanksgivings, for all men:

2 for kings, and all who are in authority, that a quiet and peaceable life we may lead in all piety and gravity,

3 for this [is] right and acceptable before God our Saviour,

4 who doth will all men to be saved, and to come to the full knowledge of the truth;

5 for one [is] God, one also [is] mediator of God and of men, the man Christ Jesus,

6 who did give himself a ransom for all -- the testimony in its own times --

7 in regard to which I was set a preacher and apostle -- truth I say in Christ, I do not lie -- a teacher of nations, in faith and truth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luke 5:1-11, NRSVue

1 Once while Jesus[a] was standing beside the Lake of Gennesaret and the crowd was pressing in on him to hear the word of God, 2 he saw two boats there at the shore of the lake; the fishermen had gotten out of them and were washing their nets. 3 He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little way from the shore. Then he sat down and taught the crowds from the boat. 4 When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch.” 5 Simon answered, “Master, we have worked all night long but have caught nothing. Yet if you say so, I will let down the nets.” 6 When they had done this, they caught so many fish that their nets were beginning to burst. 7 So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both boats, so that they began to sink. 8 But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’s knees, saying, “Go away from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man!” 9 For he and all who were with him were astounded at the catch of fish that they had taken, 10 and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. Then Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching people.” 11 When they had brought their boats to shore, they left everything and followed him.

Luke 5:1-11, KJV

5 And it came to pass, that, as the people pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of Gennesaret,

2 And saw two ships standing by the lake: but the fishermen were gone out of them, and were washing their nets.

3 And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship.

4 Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.

5 And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.

6 And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.

7 And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink.

8 When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord.

9 For he was astonished, and all that were with him, at the draught of the fishes which they had taken:

10 And so was also James, and John, the sons of Zebedee, which were partners with Simon. And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men.

11 And when they had brought their ships to land, they forsook all, and followed him.

Luke 5:1-11, YLT

5 And it came to pass, in the multitude pressing on him to hear the word of God, that he was standing beside the lake of Gennesaret,

2 and he saw two boats standing beside the lake, and the fishers, having gone away from them, were washing the nets,

3 and having entered into one of the boats, that was Simon's, he asked him to put back a little from the land, and having sat down, was teaching the multitudes out of the boat.

4 And when he left off speaking, he said unto Simon, `Put back to the deep, and let down your nets for a draught;'

5 and Simon answering said to him, `Master, through the whole night, having laboured, we have taken nothing, but at thy saying I will let down the net.'

6 And having done this, they enclosed a great multitude of fishes, and their net was breaking,

7 and they beckoned to the partners, who [are] in the other boat, having come, to help them; and they came, and filled both the boats, so that they were sinking.

8 And Simon Peter having seen, fell down at the knees of Jesus, saying, `Depart from me, because I am a sinful man, O lord;'

9 for astonishment seized him, and all those with him, at the draught of the fishes that they took,

10 and in like manner also James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon; and Jesus said unto Simon, `Fear not, henceforth thou shalt be catching men;'

11 and they, having brought the boats upon the land, having left all, did follow him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The formatting and wording of the NRSVue makes the message from both the NT and the OT much clearer and is much more understandable to those of us who speak/read/write in modern English.

Perhaps you and others might feel pious and/or holy by reading the KJV or the YLT, but that has no bearing on the style and message of the "original" text.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
a) Not all Bibles are divided into chapters and separate verses

The "we hate the KJV cult", is up and running.

You should try to get out of that group.

And yes, i use other versions also. (thanks for your next question).

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Hebrew word translated in the Daniel verse is olam.

Here's an interesting comparison; "world without end"? Obvious literary exaggeration.
The world will end, according to the Bible elsewhere. And Ephesians includes "throughout all ages".
And "ages" are not everlasting, they have a beginning and an end.
  • Isaiah 45:17
    But Israel shall be saved in the Lord with an everlasting salvation: ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end.

• Ephesians 3:21
    Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.
I agree!

As time goes forwards, it increasingly boggles my mind that teachers (suppose-d certificately honored alum from great biblical institutions of higher learning and studies) don't even scratch these surfaces, or dare to approach these "measurements of eternity!" At least none that I've encountered as yet!

It MUST have something to do with "measures of faith" (could even consider measures of faith a talent) that have been given to ALL souls. Not to mention "Wisdom", which begins with either fearing God's power outright? Or, "revering" His Might and Majesty! Although I must admit that one is more conducive in ones' spiritual growth and maturing, then the other, which is more conducive, and seems to be "the" platform from which most, if not all denominations "take their cues" from.

Of COURSE it is a great and noble "commission" that Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ has bestown upon all that believe in Him. Yet? The continued emphasis of THIS is ALL one needs DO? (bash and splash, if you will), seems to me anyways, to be neglecting, if not out right rejecting other "members" of the "body of Christ."

It has been my experience that it is these "other members" that are not feet, nor mouths, nor hands, have MORE of a "sense" in "measurements of eternity" to the which, gives the strengthening as well as the deepening of Spiritual roots which the WHOLE BODY is in DIRE needs of. ESPECIALLY during THESE last several days of this current "age or everlasting."

Perseverance I suppose is what's called for! Eh?

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The NIV dilutes the word of God and tries to hide the Deity of Christ among other errors.

Notice..

KJV. :: But seek ye first the kingdom of GOD, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

NIV : But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Notice

KJV : Jesus saith unto them, Have ye understood all these things? They say unto him, Yea, LORD.

Notice :

KJV : Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was JESUS the Christ.

Notice :

I could literally write 100 more "issues" that the NIV has, and some are worse then i posted.

You go ahead and believe what you want to believe, and dont let the facts get in your way, Jim B.
Yet another example of differences:

(KJV)
Ezekiel 13:20 Wherefore thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I am against your pillows, wherewith ye there hunt the souls to make them fly, and I will tear them from your arms, and will let the souls go, even the souls that ye hunt to make them fly.

21 Your kerchiefs also will I tear, and deliver my people out of your hand, and they shall be no more in your hand to be hunted; and ye shall know that I am the Lord.

(NIV)

20 “‘Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am against your magic charms with which you ensnare people like birds and I will tear them from your arms; I will set free the people that you ensnare like birds.
21 I will tear off your veils and save my people from your hands, and they will no longer fall prey to your power. Then you will know that I am the Lord.

Matthew 6
New International Version
9 “This, then, is how you should pray:

“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.

Matthew 6
King James Version

9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

11 Give us this day our daily bread.

12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As time goes forwards, it increasingly boggles my mind that teachers (suppose-d certificately honored alum from great biblical institutions of higher learning and studies) don't even scratch these surfaces, or dare to approach these "measurements of eternity!" At least none that I've encountered as yet!
That's a great point.
You might enjoy some of my topics.

Are you sending your neighbors to Hell?

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Stick to the lovely KJV my friend . Marvel not that it is the most attacked . Stay dug in the bible and let us PRAISE the GLORIOUS
LORD . Onward in the trenches . ITS all out war for the souls of men .

for those who think that the KJV is THE Bible, they are well WRONG! It is a man-made and UNINSPIRED translation!

In the very first verse of the Bible, the KJV translates the Hebrew WRONG!

KJV: "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth"

English from Hebrew: "In the beginning God created the HEAVENS and the earth"

"הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם", is in the PLURAL number, and cannot read HEAVEN. the phrase "heavens and earth" means the ENTIRE UNIVERSE!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet another example of differences:

(KJV)
Ezekiel 13:20 Wherefore thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I am against your pillows, wherewith ye there hunt the souls to make them fly, and I will tear them from your arms, and will let the souls go, even the souls that ye hunt to make them fly.

21 Your kerchiefs also will I tear, and deliver my people out of your hand, and they shall be no more in your hand to be hunted; and ye shall know that I am the Lord.

(NIV)

20 “‘Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am against your magic charms with which you ensnare people like birds and I will tear them from your arms; I will set free the people that you ensnare like birds.
21 I will tear off your veils and save my people from your hands, and they will no longer fall prey to your power. Then you will know that I am the Lord.

Matthew 6
New International Version
9 “This, then, is how you should pray:

“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.

Matthew 6
King James Version

9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

11 Give us this day our daily bread.

12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
WHY do you think that the translators who worked for King James were infallible? They had a limited set of source documents and were beholden to a secular king to promote his doctrine.

The NIV is based on a far better set of source documents, a far better understanding of the early languages, overseen by a committee of people from a variety of denominations, and a far better understanding of communicating the Bible words and concepts to our 20th and 21st Century minds. The same holds true for other modern translations, e.g., NRSVue.

The KJV, because of its archaic language, seems more "righteous" and "holy", but neither ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, nor Koine Greek had that kind of pompous feeling. They were the languages of the common people. (Jesus spoke Aramaic, a Hebrew dialect.)

You give an excellent example of the KJV bizarre wording: "I am against your pillows...". That is laughable! The NIV's "I am against your magic charms..." makes much more sense!

I could point out many other problems with the KJV, but I have other things to do. The point I'm making is obvious: the KJV is an outdated translation that is easily misunderstood (or intentionally reinterpreted). It is not the Bible; it is one of many translations and not the best.

Say hello to your unicorn!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Notice..

Notice

Notice :

Notice :

You are simply blind to reality! The KJV is a translation created for the sole purpose of pleasing a secular king and making his personal theology official doctrine.

Modern translations are much more accurate than the KJV. They are based on better sources and better translation methodology. And most (with very few exceptions) are reviewed by an ecumenical board to insure that their translation is doctrinally accurate and acceptable to all denominations.

The NIV is the best-selling Bible translation for a very good reason. You go ahead and believe what you want to believe, and don't let the facts get in your way.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "we hate the KJV cult", is up and running.

You should try to get out of that group.

And yes, i use other versions also. (thanks for your next question).
This is just plain ridiculous! Is this how your mind gets distorted by olde Englyshe?

Did anyone, anywhere, say anything like "we hate the KJV cult"? If so, show us where!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The KJV is a translation created for the sole purpose of pleasing a secular king and making his personal theology official doctrine.

Rubbish!

Modern translations are much more accurate than the KJV.

Really?

Let’s see…

KJV
“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.” (John 6:47)

ASV
“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth hath eternal life.” (John 6:47)

ESV
“Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life.” (John 6:47)

What happened to “on me” in the “more accurate” modern ASV and ESV?

The modern versions would please the Devil.

You are very deceived on the Bible translation issue.

VERY DECEIVED!

Reactions: NayborBear

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rubbish!

Really?

Let’s see…

KJV
“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.” (John 6:47)

ASV
“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth hath eternal life.” (John 6:47)

ESV
“Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life.” (John 6:47)

What happened to “on me” in the “more accurate” modern ASV and ESV?

The modern versions would please the Devil.

You are very deceived on the Bible translation issue.

VERY DECEIVED!
Rubbish??? LOL!!! Why do you think that James ordered a new translation? Weren't the ones already in existence good enough?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you joking? Because the King James translators added two words makes you think that it is Scripture? Most reliable translations show that these words were not in the earliest and best texts.

And how do you believe "on" anything? It is very odd English from an earlier era. Your distortion of Scripture is what is pleasing to Satan.

Your King James Only cult shows that you are very deceived on the Bible translation issue.

Last edited:

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because the King James translators added two words makes you think that it is Scripture?

There are lots of words missing in modern translations that your ilk alleges were additions…

But since you hardly reverence the word anyway why would you care…

:hmhehm

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are lots of words missing in modern translations that your ilk alleges were additions…

But since you hardly reverence the word anyway why would you care…

Oh, so now your relying on personal insults to debate a subject? That is unChristian and the sign of a loser. Unlike yourself, I reference the true words of God, not some politically-inspired "translation".

BTW, where is the proof that words were not added to the KJV?

Have a look, for example, at Romans 8:1...

"Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Most modern translations (NIV, NRSVue, NET, etc.)

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." KJV

I know that scholarship is an anathema to you, but here is the NET footnote on that verse: The earliest and best witnesses of the Alexandrian and Western texts, as well as a few others (א* B D* F G 6 1506 1739 1881 co), have no additional words for v. 1. Later scribes (A D1 Ψ 81 365 629 vg) added the words μὴ κατὰ σάρκα περιπατοῦσιν (mē kata sarka peripatousin, “who do not walk according to the flesh”), while even later ones (א2 D2 33vid M) added ἀλλὰ κατὰ πνεῦμα (alla kata pneuma, “but [who do walk] according to the Spirit”). Both the external evidence and the internal evidence are compelling for the shortest reading. The scribes were evidently motivated to add such qualifications (interpolated from v. 4) to insulate Paul’s gospel from charges that it was characterized too much by grace. The KJV follows the longest reading found in M.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Jim B

Evidence can be cited for both persuasions.

I choose the evidence that helps the integrity of our Lord:

KJV (honest Christ)
“Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast; for my time is not yet full come.” (John 7:8)

ESV (Lying Christ)
“You go up to the feast. I am not going up to this feast, for my time has not yet fully come.”” (John 7:8)

You would prefer the lying Christ in modern “scholarship”.