You read KJV that fine!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Jim B

Evidence can be cited for both persuasions.

I choose the evidence that helps the integrity of our Lord:

KJV (honest Christ)
“Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast; for my time is not yet full come.” (John 7:8)

ESV (Lying Christ)
“You go up to the feast. I am not going up to this feast, for my time has not yet fully come.”” (John 7:8)

You would prefer the lying Christ in modern “scholarship”.

:hmhehm
The word "yet" appears in some ancient texts but not others. You claim that it is a lie, simply because you want to believe it. Why are you so seduced by a 412-year-old translation based on limited scholarship? Why do you worship the King James translation as though it is the word of God.

I mean it! Why do you think that the KJV is accurate and that modern scholarship is inferior to a group of men ordered by a secular king to create a translation that justified his personal version of Christianity?

Reactions: wrecked

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The NIV dilutes the word of God and tries to hide the Deity of Christ among other errors.
It often removes, "Jesus", "God", and "Lord" from many verses.

Notice..

KJV. :: But seek ye first the kingdom of GOD, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

NIV : But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Notice

KJV : Jesus saith unto them, Have ye understood all these things? They say unto him, Yea, LORD.

Niv : "Have you understood all these things?" Jesus asked.“"Yes," they replied.

Notice :

KJV : Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was JESUS the Christ.

Niv : Then he warned his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Christ.

Notice :

KJV : For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.

Niv : Omits the verse

I could literally write 100 more "issues" that the NIV has, and some are worse then i posted.

You go ahead and believe what you want to believe, and dont let the facts get in your way, Jim B.
This is total nonsense! The NIV is an excellent translation. As are other modern translations. They are based on a much larger set of source documents, a greater set of period texts that expand knowledge of the Biblical languages and the societies that used them, increased translation techniques, e.g., textual criticism, etc., than was available in King James' times.

I don't know (or care) where you are getting your examples from but they are silly. Here is an example of your willful ignorance: The most significant mss, along with others (א B L* Θ* ƒ1, 13 33 892* e ff1 sys sa), do not include 18:11 “For the Son of Man came to save the lost.” The verse is included in D Lmg N W Γ Δ Θc 078vid 565 579 700 892c 1241 1424 M lat syc,p,h, but is almost certainly not original, being borrowed from the parallel in Luke 19:10.

Why do you want to remain close-minded???

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why not educate yourself by reading this: Errors in the King James Version (Boy, are there a lot of them) – The Superior Word

Here is an excerpt: This is the trap that too many Christians have fallen into, thus believing that God has somehow preserved His word in an exacting manner that is 100% infallible in one particular version or another. They then choose a version, claim that the version they have chosen is God’s only infallible word, and condemn all others as being of the devil. This leads to a cult-like mentality and very poor theology. (my emphasis).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You see! Anyone can go to an extreme position and claim it is authoritative!

Last edited:
Reactions: wrecked

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For anyone other than @user"Behold" and other deluded KJVOs...

What is the reason for the fanaticism of some people to claim that their preferred translation is the word of God? Why are they so blind as to think that translating from a set of ancient texts, many of which differ, into the destination language is a straight-forward process?

a) The source documents are in many cases incomplete
b) The source documents often differ from each other
c) The source documents come from different geographical areas
d) The source documents are in different languages: ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek
e) The Septuagint -- the OT used by the people of Jesus' time -- differs from the Hebrew OT. It is a translation into Greek.
f) ... and so on

What is wrong with them? Has their lack of learning driven them mad?

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Couple of reasons: (1) ignorance of the truth or (2) rejection of the truth.
The reasons that you defend the modern Bibles so vehemently are (1) ignorance of the truth or (2) rejection of the truth? Well, that explains a lot! In other words, you are ignorant of the truth and also reject the truth. LOL!!!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The reasons that you defend the modern Bibles so vehemently are (1) ignorance of the truth or (2) rejection of the truth? Well, that explains a lot! In other words, you are ignorant of the truth and also reject the truth. LOL!!!
Since I DO NOT DEFEND modern bibles, this is ,more baloney from Jim B.

Reactions: NayborBear

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since I DO NOT DEFEND modern bibles, this is ,more baloney from Jim B.
That was an error on my part.

I meant to say attack modern bibles.

So, WHY DO YOU ATTACK MODERN BIBLE TRANSLATIONS?

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is it so difficult for some people to accept that the King James Bible is a translation? It is not the definitive word of God. It was created, as are most translations, by a committee, using the best resources available at the time, including earlier translations.

There is a primary difference, however, between it and modern translations: it was created to satisfy the demands of a secular king, i.e., to establish his personal brand of Protestantism as being "official". There were (and are) problems...

a) It was based on a far more limited set of source documents than what are available today.
b) Due to the increased number of source documents -- Scriptural and otherwise -- the knowledge of the ancient languages is significantly better than it was 400+ years ago.
c) Most modern translations are supervised by ecumenical committees, composed of men and women of different denominations to insure that there is no sectarian bias. That is the main difference between satisfying one man's self-justifying interpretation and efforts to achieve an accurate translation.
d) The archaic language of the King James translation is not spoken anywhere on earth (except in churches). Subsequently, it is often misunderstood or (worse) retranslated (sometimes spontaneously) to justify one's own doctrine.
e) Perhaps the most serious error is that people think it is "holy" to speak or read in an archaic (dead) language. It may sound poetic to our 21st century ears but -- JESUS WAS A RURAL CARPENTER WHO SPOKE ARAMAIC, A HEBREW DIALECT OF THE COMMON PEOPLE AND READ FROM SCROLLS THAT WERE WRITTEN IN ANCIENT HEBREW. The authors of the New Testament wrote in Koine Greek, the commonly-used lingua franca of the Mediterranean region. None of those languages have anything in common with early 17th Century Englyshe! The language of the KJV sounds "holy" but it is a very poor representation of the languages in which the Bible was actually written.
f) The unfortunate result is that people re-interpret(!) the Bible on the fly to justify their personal doctrine, whether from the pulpit or in online forums or in their conversations. I highly respect the scholarship of the men and women who have devoted much time and effort to give us the best translations possible, written to be understood in our own language: modern English. (Of course, there are translations into other modern languages but I am not discussing those here.)

If you want to clearly understand God's message to men and women, read the Bible in your own native language.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The KJV-only crowsd kept me from reading the Bible for 2 decades.

I find that hard to believe.

They do not realize they are making it an obstacle for people to come to Christ.

I started out using an NIV translation.

When I became aware of all the major differences between the grand KJV and nearly every other modern Bible translation, I GOT CLOSER TO CHRIST WITH THE KJV!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When I became aware of all the major differences between the grand KJV and nearly every other modern Bible translation, I GOT CLOSER TO CHRIST WITH THE KJV!
Great! Whatever translation communicates best to you is the one that you should use.

Personally, I prefer the NRSVue, the 1978 NIV, and the NET, in that order.

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Great. Whatever translation you prefer is a personal matter, but it shouldn't affect what other believers prefer.

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Jim B

Evidence can be cited for both persuasions.

I choose the evidence that helps the integrity of our Lord:

KJV (honest Christ)
“Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast; for my time is not yet full come.” (John 7:8)

ESV (Lying Christ)
“You go up to the feast. I am not going up to this feast, for my time has not yet fully come.”” (John 7:8)

You would prefer the lying Christ in modern “scholarship”.

:hmhehm
I find this funny/interesting. Both views are incorrect. The actual original text in Aramaic doesn't have either of these readings.
Peshitta (actual saying of Christ)
"You go up to this feast. I am not going up to this feast now but soon because my time has not yet been completed.
Aramaic John 7:8

We can clearly see how both of the Greek texts got the original Aramaic wrong. First, the ESV relies more heavily on the older manuscript text type. The Greek in this manuscript tradition is doing a word for word translation. The Greek scribe correctly puts down "not going" but he missed the adverb at the end of the phrase "now, but soon". This causes a problem in the accurate meaning of the phrase.

The KJV, because they only had the Byzantium text types available at that point, follows the later tradition. This Greek translation done when they smoothed over the stilted and awkward "translation Greek". The Byzantium scribes realized there was something missing and added the adverb "not yet" at the location of the verb and not at the end of the phrase as in the original Aramaic. It has close to the original meaning but is missing the sense of "soon" of the original Aramaic word.

Very clear to see the progression of the transmission of the text just in this verse alone.

Last edited:

Instant

Sep 17, 2020
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't force people read KJV!
How in the world can anyone force anyone to read the KJV Bible or any Bible? We encourage people to read the KJV Bible, but nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. Read it. Don't read it. That is your business.

Instant

Sep 17, 2020
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Problem is KJVO people tend to demonize all other translations! I use the KJV because all the lexicons are geared to it. But when it comes to accuracy - the KJV is left behind in the dust.
I find that people with your view demonizes the KJV as you just did. The other translations are inferior to the KJV Bible, and I am firmly KJV only. That doesn't mean I am making anyone read the best and most accurate version because I do. You are free to read any translation that you want. For the record, my preferences are Authorized King James Bible, 1611 King James Bible, Geneva Bible and NKJV Bible for those that insist the old English is too hard. I only use the first 2, but the others are next in line.