Your Thoughts On Moses and The Striking of The Rock x2

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
@Charlie24. I have created a thread in this forum which you had posted on another thread which I created. I think that this post deserves it's own thread and further investigation.

There are so many bible passages that we may have read many times but not necessarily noticed it's significance.

My neighbor came over a few days ago and while in a conversation about my overgrown grapevine that was slowly creeping over to his property, he mentioned a story in the bible where Moses was noted to be the only person in the bible that God had personally buried.

Of course I had to hunt that verse down. Deuteronomy 34:5-7. What is your impression on this verse?..
and please read the passages surrounding it so that it is in context. Blessed!

This is probably not what you're looking for in this thread, but it does provide insight to not realizing what you're reading, although you've read it many times. In other words, hidden truths not easily recognized.

Most think that Moses was denied entry into the Promised Land because he took the glory from God in supplying the water. That is true to a point. But what Moses did, not meaning to, was a very serious sin, that concerned the Cross of Christ. Nevertheless, God could not overlook this grievous sin, not even for the great Law-giver himself.

Paul tells us in 1 Cor. 10:4 "that Rock was Christ." The Rock was a type of Christ that represented what he would do at Calvary to redeem fallen man. The theologians say that the water from that Rock was the source of the Holy Spirit given to man through, and by the means of the sacrifice of Christ, in which the Rock represented.

Earlier in Rephidim, Moses was told to smite the Rock for the water, and he did. That smiting of the Rock represented Christ struck down to bear the sins of humanity. Later in Kadesh the people again had no water, God told Moses to speak to the Rock, but Moses angry with the people struck the Rock, which represented that Christ must be struck down again, meaning His sacrifice was not good enough for the redemption of man. This God could not overlook, and Moses was denied entrance.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Charlie24. I have created a thread in this forum which you had posted on another thread which I created. I think that this post deserves it's own thread and further investigation.

This is probably not what you're looking for in this thread, but it does provide insight to not realizing what you're reading, although you've read it many times. In other words, hidden truths not easily recognized.

Most think that Moses was denied entry into the Promised Land because he took the glory from God in supplying the water. That is true to a point. But what Moses did, not meaning to, was a very serious sin, that concerned the Cross of Christ. Nevertheless, God could not overlook this grievous sin, not even for the great Law-giver himself.

Paul tells us in 1 Cor. 10:4 "that Rock was Christ." The Rock was a type of Christ that represented what he would do at Calvary to redeem fallen man. The theologians say that the water from that Rock was the source of the Holy Spirit given to man through, and by the means of the sacrifice of Christ, in which the Rock represented.

Earlier in Rephidim, Moses was told to smite the Rock for the water, and he did. That smiting of the Rock represented Christ struck down to bear the sins of humanity. Later in Kadesh the people again had no water, God told Moses to speak to the Rock, but Moses angry with the people struck the Rock, which represented that Christ must be struck down again, meaning His sacrifice was not good enough for the redemption of man. This God could not overlook, and Moses was denied entrance.
Moses responded to the people in anger when God was not angry with them. He misrepresented God. One moment of disobedience disqualified Moses entrance to the promised land, only Joshua could lead them in.

Much love!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello you all! Right before Moses strikes the rock, he says this to the people: “…Hear now, you rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock?” (Num. 20:10, KJV). So Moses called them rebels. Instead of speaking to the rock to provide life-giving water, Moses’ anger (EGO) takes over and he yells at the people.

But a few views on this issue:

Why Moses Struck the Rock and Why God Punished Him (Numbers 20:11)

Love, Walter

Last edited:

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello you all! Right before Moses strikes the rock, he says this to the people: “…Hear now, you rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock?” (Num. 20:10, KJV). So Moses called them rebels. Instead of speaking to the rock to provide life-giving water, Moses’ anger (EGO) takes over and he yells at the people.

Moses disobeys God in Numbers 20:10.

If you read the entire chapter, Numbers 20:1 begins with the death of Miriam.

Which implies Moses was unhappy with God about his wife Miriam passing away and disobeys God 9 verses later.

It was an extreme low point in Moses' life which led to his disobedience.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Which implies Moses was unhappy with God about his wife Miriam passing away and disobeys God 9 verses later.

Hello Space_Karen, thank you.

Love, Walter

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But a few views on this issue:

Why Moses Struck the Rock and Why God Punished Him (Numbers 20:11)

Love, Walter

I read your attachment and don't agree with any of the 3 reasons given. But let me make it clear that this is only my opinion why the judgement was so harsh.

Moses was not denied entrance into the heavenly Promised Land, but only the physical in Canaan.

It is my opinion that God would not tolerate the Rock, which represented Christ, to be of none effect through the twice smitten Rock.

Meaning the one time smiting of Christ on the Cross would have to be repeated.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read your attachment and don't agree with any of the 3 reasons given. But let me make it clear that this is only my opinion why the judgement was so harsh.

Moses was not denied entrance into the heavenly Promised Land, but only the physical in Canaan.

It is my opinion that God would not tolerate the Rock, which represented Christ, to be of none effect through the twice smitten Rock.

Meaning the one time smiting of Christ on the Cross would have to be repeated.

There are some things concerning this thread that I just need to release so I can get it off my mind. Usually when this happens it bothers me until I explain to the best of my ability.

The Smitten Rock is what some call a "spoiled type." Let me explain this the best I can.

The OT Scripture is filled with an unknown number of types that represent the Christ and His Cross. The Smitten Rock is just one of many. It is strongly believed that the authors of Scripture were not aware of these types, as the inspiration that created them came from the Holy Spirit.

Moses, it it believed, had no idea of this type, but through his anger he "spoiled this type" by smitting the Rock the second time, with the consequences being what I have already explained in other posts.

I agree this was a harsh punishment, but when the magnitude of what was done is considered, God could not overlook it.

This is about the best I can explain with my limited knowledge, and it is my opinion as I cannot prove this from Scripture other than Paul telling us "that Rock was Christ" and the smitting of the Rock.

So if you can't go with it I understand, but this is what I believe along with many others.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello Karen, Miriam was the older sister of Moses who kept a sisterly eye on him after he had been placed as a baby in a little boat in the papyrus reeds on the side of the Nile river. After talking to the Pharaoh’s daughter who had found the baby, Miriam organized for the baby Moses to be looked after by his own mother.

Miriam in the Bible is Moses’ older sister. She is called “Miriam the prophetess” in Exodus 15:20. She plays an important role in several episodes of Moses’ life and in the exodus of Israel from Egypt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Space_Karen

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Karen, Miriam was the older sister of Moses who kept a sisterly eye on him after he had been placed as a baby in a little boat in the papyrus reeds on the side of the Nile river. After talking to the Pharaoh’s daughter who had found the baby, Miriam organized for the baby Moses to be looked after by his own mother.

Miriam in the Bible is Moses’ older sister. She is called “Miriam the prophetess” in Exodus 15:20. She plays an important role in several episodes of Moses’ life and in the exodus of Israel from Egypt.

Thanks for accuracy.

I remember most of what is in the bible.

Maybe I need to read it more often considering its the 2nd time I remembered incorrectly.