Youversion Bible Studies

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I sent an invite to this. If anyone else wants to participate, let me know

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day-Lent

Day 2:
Scripture
: “Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.” Jeremiah 29:12 NIV

Reflection:

When was a time you felt alone? How did you handle the situation? Did you call on God?

---I like how I can go to God and He hears what I have to say, no judgement. There have been different times in life I have felt alone. Probably the hardest was moving to Austin when I was fifteen, for awhile. It was close to when I got saved and mom and dad divorced. I think though that this sort of sling shot me into a closer relationship with God as a young Christian. Now in lonely times I always go to Him first. He was always there for me and got me through that time.

Praise + Prayer:
Lord, You know this isn’t what I had planned for my life. I never saw this coming. I’m thankful You’re here with me, though. You’re my friend and I can talk to You anytime of day or night. You’re always listening and answering my prayers. Thank you, Lord. In Jesus’ name, Amen

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40-Day Lent

Day 3:

Scripture:

“Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” Psalm 91:1-2 (NIV)

Reflection:

Abiding in God’s protection is not like unpacking boxes and moving into a home permanently. Unfortunately, it’s very easy to constantly change locations because location is a choice. The protection offered in this secret location is conditioned upon a decision you have to make every day to dwell and take refuge in the presence of God. Have you been wandering away from God’s protection? What can you do to make sure you take up residence in the most valuable location and stay there daily?

--- Anxiety has always been a real issue to me. I notice as I stay in the Word and pray more, I have had greater peace of mind with what has been going around in the world around me. I am grateful that when I stop "drifting", and abide in God's Word, I feel more confident and have more security. I feel more spiritual protection.

Praise + Prayer: Thank You Lord for being a God that I can really trust to keep me safe. Thank You for covering me so well that even in times of trouble when it looks like my world is falling apart, my spirit and my heart are safe with You. Thank You that I can have peace because You are with me. You are mighty to save and You have the power to withstand all of Satan’s attacks, so I have no need to fear or fret as long as I stay in the right location. Lord I don’t want to move around any more. In this season of Lent, as I turn to You, help me make dwelling my habit so that I can stay in Your presence. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent:

Day 4:

Scripture:
“The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John testified concerning him. He cried out, saying, “This is the one I spoke about when I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’”) Out of his fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already given. For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.” John 1:14-17 NIV

Reflection:
Sit, think and meditate for a moment on the divine miracle, the divine paradox of Creator God becoming the suffering Savior. Now, what are you feeling inside about your relationship to Jesus? And what is your natural response?

-My natural response to Christ's gift is thankfulness. I would be nowhere or have anything without His sacrifice. I would not have a reason to live without Him.

Praise + Prayer: Jesus, my Savior and Friend, You lived the perfect life that I could not live. You died to pay sin’s penalty that really I deserved to pay.

I thank You for Your great love, the unbelievable price you paid to leave the glory of heaven to come to this broken world to save us from ourselves. I love You, Jesus. I receive Your gift of grace upon grace. And inwardly, and outwardly, I fall to my knees in praise and adoration for who You are and what You’ve done. Amen

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent:

Day 5:

Scripture:

“The following day John was again standing with two of his disciples. As Jesus walked by, John looked at him and declared, “Look! There is the Lamb of God!” When John’s two disciples heard this, they followed Jesus. Jesus looked around and saw them following. “What do you want?” he asked them. They replied, “Rabbi” (which means “Teacher”), “where are you staying?” “Come and see,” he said. It was about four o’clock in the afternoon when they went with him to the place where he was staying, and they remained with him the rest of the day.” John 1:35-39 (NLT)

Reflection:

There is an emptiness in our lives that can only be filled by the presence of Jesus. Picture Jesus walking by you right now. He turns and ask you this question “What are you seeking?” What would you say?

- Pretty powerful question here....I had a dream once where I was delivered from bondage, but was still in a lot of mental and emotional turmoil. Then Jesus burst into the door and I was able to run into His arms. He said He would never forget me. So I just ask for a reminder of that in lonely times, that I am never alone. I ask maybe a greater revelation of His faithfulness in times of fear and doubt, so that I can have peace of mind. I ask for wisdom in making tough decisions, especially faith decisions. I am thankful to have a friend for life. I am thankful He doesn't have to be manifested physically in front of me to feel His presence in the same way or ask for anything. And I am grateful that Heaven has everything and it won't close down the storehouse for asking for too much. He just blesses me over and beyond anything I ever seek Him for. He already has. Praise God!!!!

Praise + Prayer:
Lord, You have a special purpose for my life. I desire to seek You first and I know that everything else will fall into place. In Jesus’ name, Amen

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 6:

Scripture: “Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil— 15and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death. 16For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham’s descendants. 17For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. 18Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.” Hebrews 2:14-18 NIV

Reflection: Has your walk with Jesus become a life of sin management, or do you still delight in the Lord? How does worshipping Jesus help you when temptation knocks on your door?

- Yes, many times in life I have focused on sin management. It is this guilt and condemnation never meant for a Christian to have. Renewing my mind in Jesus Christ and just resting at His feet/worshipping Him, has been a great chain breaker. It is hard to fall into sin or worry about things when I am singing/speaking His Word. It is like a transforming experience. Our sins were already paid for, so why focus on "sin management." I know my desire is to serve God and He will show me what things to work on. My eyes need to be on Him.

Prayer: Jesus forgive me for allowing my walk with You to drift into sin management. Forgive me for treasuring my sin instead of treasuring You.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 7:

Scripture:

“Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.”
Matthew 6:21 NLT

Reflection:
Can you imagine if we pursued God with the intensity of diving for treasure at the bottom of the ocean, and the response we would get from our heavenly Father? The next time you are in worship, think about the time and energy it takes to pay for your dream car and think about how you can give more energy and time to praise God. Pursue Him and listen for His voice. In times of silence, lean into what He has already spoken in His Word.

Praise +Prayer:
Heavenly Father, I ask that Your love and mercy move us to pursue You with greater intent. That we would search for Your voice in our lives as if it were the ultimate treasure. I pray that our hearts would be filled and healed by Your love. Let it overshadow all other desires so that our hearts become reliant on Your love alone.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thoughts: Faith is acting on what we hear...when we sow into God's kingdom by our finances, love, and actions towards others... pursuing God with our entire being, we are laying up treasures in Heaven. We are losing our lives to gain a TRUE life in God our Father. It is a good analogy to think about what it takes to buy a new car. It takes time, painful saving, and work. But Galations 6:9 also says, "Do not grow weary of doing good, for in due time you will reap if you do not grow weary." I am glad I have heavenly treasures seeking and investing in God's kingdom first.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent:

Day 8:
Scripture:
“Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget none of His benefits;” Psalms 103:2-12 NKJV

Reflection:
If you have time, read all of Psalm 103 and praise God for all the specific ways He is blessing you today.

Praise + Prayer:

God, thank You for all the ways You bless my life…starting with caring for my soul. Jesus, You’ve changed me forever by forgiving me and saving me.

"Bless the Lord , O my soul, And all that is within me, bless His holy name. Bless the Lord , O my soul, And forget none of His benefits; Who pardons all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases; Who redeems your life from the pit, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion; Who satisfies your years with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle. The Lord performs righteous deeds And judgments for all who are oppressed. He made known His ways to Moses, His acts to the sons of Israel. The Lord is compassionate and gracious, Slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness. He will not always strive with us, Nor will He keep His anger forever. He has not dealt with us according to our sins, Nor rewarded us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, So great is His lovingkindness toward those who fear Him. As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us. Just as a father has compassion on his children, So the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him. For He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust. As for man, his days are like grass; As a flower of the field, so he flourishes. When the wind has passed over it, it is no more, And its place acknowledges it no longer. But the lovingkindness of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him, And His righteousness to children’s children, To those who keep His covenant And remember His precepts to do them. The Lord has established His throne in the heavens, And His sovereignty rules over all. Bless the Lord , you His angels, Mighty in strength, who perform His word, Obeying the voice of His word! Bless the Lord , all you His hosts, You who serve Him, doing His will. Bless the Lord , all you works of His, In all places of His dominion; Bless the Lord , O my soul!"
Psalms 103:1‭-‬22 NASB1995

Thoughts: My thanksgiving for all God has done for me would take up ten pages. Psalm 103 sums it up well. His lovingkindness goes on forever. Give God the glory!!!!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 9:

Scripture:

“Remember His wonderful deeds which He has done, His marvels and the judgments from His mouth.” 1 Chronicles 16:12

Reflection:

During this Lent season, take a moment to pause and think about the good things God has done in your life.

Praise + Prayer:
Lord,
I thank You that I don’t have to rely on my own memory for all that You have done and for the promises You have made for me. I thank You for the Bible that I can read through the pages and be reminded of Your faithfulness and love. I want to become a good steward of keeping record of the answered prayers and miracles in my own life so I can leave a legacy for my family. I need Your help so that I can be disciplined to write them down. I ask for Your spirit of wisdom, knowledge and revelation to remain with me. Amen.

Thoughts: keeping a praise journal of all God has done is an excellent idea. It is hard to put into words all God has done for me sometimes. He has been so good to me.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent:

Day 10:

Scripture:
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16 (NIV)

Reflection:

Reflecting during Lent is also a time to use the Bible as a mirror to see your image in God’s image. The John 3:16 image of God’s love is meant to be empowering because we are made in God’s image which means we were made to love and give. Think of some ways you can be more giving to show your love.

Praise + Prayer:

God, Your love is so amazing. Thank You for the gift of Jesus. Thank You that You would have given the same gift even it I was the only person in the world. Thank You for being a generous God, making me in Your image so that I have the ability to show love and give. Fill me with Your Spirit and help me show love with an overflow with generosity.

Thoughts: Love is an action word, so giving from our finances and resources to others is a good way to show people I love them. Also investing time in their lives. I think of my kids and what makes them happy. But also Jesus dying on a cross for me and what gift of love/sacrifice that was.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent:

Day 11:

“But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8

Reflection:

What would motivate the all-powerful creator to stoop to this planet and actually die a painful, humiliated death for awful, terrible, rebellious sinners?

What do you want to say to Jesus?

Thoughts: What do I say to the one who gave me life and saved it? I am extremely grateful for all that You, Christ Jesus, have done for me... I will honor and praise Your name all my life for what You have done.

Praise + Prayer:

Dear Jesus, I can’t even begin to comprehend such unconditional, extravagant love. You didn’t just think it, or feel it, You actually showed it in the way you died on the cross. I’m humbled and grateful. Thank You, Jesus. Amen

Reactions: Philip James

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 12:

Scripture:
“Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross.” Philippians 2:6-8(NLT)

Reflection:
For a moment think about humility and your life. Are there areas where you need to empty yourself of your pride?

Thoughts: Christ is the greatest example of humility and what He did coming to earth as a child and living all the way to the death of the cross. He probably could have called it quits any time, and didn't. I think my pride area sometimes has actually been speaking up about the evils of the political world right now. It is hard to know when to be silent and when to speak. Im not sure which way is pride or not. I don't want to speak in pride or keep silent in pride, because I am afraid of what others say. It really is humbling. Especially not knowing what all is true. I just know what God's Word says.Things anger me. But I ask God to reveal any pride in me especially in this area. Anger and pride is what is dividing the church...

Praise + Prayer:

Lord, I know You resist the proud and give grace to the humble. Reveal any blind spots in me so that I can empty myself of them. I want people to see Jesus through my words and actions. In Jesus’ name, Amen

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 13:

Scripture:

And walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” Ephesians 5:2

Reflection:

What is your aroma? Do you want to release the same aroma that Jesus did? What does love look like in your life when someone hurts you or betrays you?

Thoughts: -Reminds me of the study about clothing myself in Christ Jesus. I want to look and smell like Jesus. I want people to see His righteousness when they look at me and to see His love. When someone hurts or betrays me, I correct in love and say what is on my mind. I try to be the things in 1 Corinthians 13. I am not always perfect , but by God, I think I do pretty good.

Praise + Prayer:
Dear Jesus,

We praise and adore You! You are worthy of all our praise!! Your name is above every other name. You are Holy and there is none beside You! Please show us how to love as You love! To love “everyone.” Jesus, let us have Your aroma to draw people into relationship with You! Let our aroma be a fragrant and sweet offering, a sacrifice, an act of complete worship to You! Amen

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 14:

Scripture:
“For the greatest love of all is a love that sacrifices all. And this great love is demonstrated when a person sacrifices his life for his friends,” John 15:13

Reflection:
Ask Jesus if there are any lies that you are believing about his perfect love for you? If you heard yes, ask him to show you what they are. Repent for believing the lies and then ask Jesus what the truth is.

---Thoughts: I am grateful for God's perfect love. I am so undeserving, but thankful to be forgiven. I want my body to be a living sacrifice acceptable to Him...it is my reasonable service of worship after all He has done for me and for who my Father is.

Praise + Prayer:
Father God, we praise You and thank You for being a perfect Father to us. Thank You for sending Your Son, Jesus, to take our place and die a horrific death so that we can spend eternity with You. Thank You for choosing me first. Help me have a greater revelation of Your love for me. I want to encounter Your love in fresh ways. Soften my heart so that I may receive all that You have for me today.

I love You, Father. Amen.

Last edited:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent (Jon L. Groves)

Day 15:

Scripture:
“You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.” Isaiah 26:3 NIV

Reflection:
Where do you set your mind?

Thoughts: Where I set my mind is a good question I need to keep in mind. I want to have my mind set on God at all times. Not just during fasting times, or good times. I never want to drift away from God's Word, or abiding in His Word, praying, etc. Because He gives me peace, God is the reason I live, and He is the only one who can help us really get through the hard times in life.

Praise + Prayer:
Lord Jesus~thank You for being steadfast! For trusting God the Father all the time. I confess I struggle. Since You are my Lord and Savior, fill me with Yourself. Train me to be steadfast in my trust of Your love, forgiveness and plan. And, as a result, may I experience daily the peace only You provide. Thank you! Amen.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 16:

Scripture:

“Oh, the joys of those [blessed] who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with the mockers. But they delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night. They are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season. Their leaves never wither, and they prosper in all they do.” Psalms 1:1-3 NLT

Reflection:
Find a quiet spot in your home and slowly re-read Psalms 1:1-3. Meditate on each word. What does this verse mean to you?

Thoughts: I want to delight always, first and foremost, on the law of the Lord. The more I meditate in His Word, the more firmly planted I become.

Praise + Prayer:
Lord, I want to live a joy-filled, blessed life. I want to prosper in all I do. Thank You for giving me Your Word to meditate on each day. Help me to make my time with You a priority not only during Lent but always. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 17:

Scripture: “I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done.“ Psalm 143:5 NIV

Reflection: What do you find yourself meditating on (thinking about over and over again) when you are still? How can you be more intentional about Biblical meditation? What about starting with Psalm 143:5 and meditating on all that God has done for you this week?

Thoughts: even though I have found myself meditating on God other then unhealthy things more often, I have to really keep reminding myself daily of these things and stay in God's Word. That is my biggest thing. I constantly have to meditate on peace scriptures. I have been off both anxiety meds for probably 6 months or so now. God has done amazing things in my life just meditating on His Word and reading it with faith behind it. It got more from hesd to heart once I slowed down to meditate on things more.

Praise + Prayer: God, thank You that you are the originator of every good and perfect thing. Thank you that You knew we need meditation as a practice in our lives and You didn’t leave us to figure it out on our own or rely on man. You have given us instructions on how to meditate so that You are glorified and our faith grows. I have so much to meditate on because You have done so much for me. Help me to not give in to the enemy who would want me to forget all Your works. Help me commit to meditation daily so that I can always remember. In Jesus’ name, Amen.