Youversion Bible Studies

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 18:

Scripture:
“Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. Your commands are always with me and make me wiser than my enemies. I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes.” Psalm 119:97-99

Reflection:
Here’s your question to ponder: What in your life do you need to set aside right now to gain a greater appreciation for what Jesus has done for you through His death (to defeat sin) and His resurrection (to defeat death)?

Thoughts: So fasting is like crucifying the flesh, and in so doing, become more empowered by the Holy Spirit. I always just thought of it of drawing closer and closer to God as we follow His commandment to do so. There are just a lot of benefits to it. My lent time has been adding more Bible time/prayer times/less speaking death over life times. I started before this study and plan to continue after. Because really, it is what I should have been doing. I just drifted with kids. But the kids and family need to have God as priority in their lives too, and I want to be that example. But I am considering a three day/night food fast, in honor of what Jesus did for me. Ive never went a day without eating. Always sacrificed other things...but I know I would gain a greater appreciation of what Christ has done. My milk is about gone now for John, then I can start...

Praise + Prayer:
Dear loving Father. I pause just now to meditate on your Word. Give me wisdom and insight into Your ways. Help me to carry those thoughts with me in the coming days as we observe Your death and resurrection. I love you, Jesus. Amen

Reactions: tsr

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Fast

Day 19:
Scripture:

“With my lips I proclaim all the judgments of Your mouth. I rejoice in the way of Your testimonies as much as in all riches.I will meditate on Your precepts and regard Your ways. I will delight in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word.” Psalms 119:13-16 Berean Study Bible

Reflection:
What is an area in your life where you have been listening to yourself instead of preaching God's Word to yourself?

Thoughts: It wasn't until this series at Forgiven Church that I really was not trusting God as much with healing. It is easy to go to a doctor and get medicine. And yes, I prayed, but never really thought of it like I do now. God's Word gives healing physically as well as spiritually when I read and believe in it this way.

Praise + Prayer:
Jesus, I rejoice in such great salvation, and I meditate on Your sacrifice. I will not listen to my emotions or the messages that tell me I don't have enough. I delight in You!

When you have a moment, write these phrases from Psalm 119 and ask the Holy Spirit to help you personalize each statement.

"With my lips I proclaim..." Your goodness

"I rejoice in..."Your Truth

"I will meditate on..." Your Word

"I will delight in..." Your laws

"I will not forget..." Your Word/Your great love for me

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Fast

Day 20:
Scripture:
But Jesus told him, “No! The Scriptures say, ‘People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God,” Matthew 4:4 NLT

Reflection:

Is there an area of your life where you are needing Jesus’ help to over come an area of temptation? Invite Jesus into this area of your life. Ask Him if there are any lies that you are believing around this temptation and then ask Him for the truth and how He sees you.

Thoughts: I like this part of the devotional:

Hebrews 4:15 reminds us that Jesus understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same testings we do, yet he did not sin. Let’s be believers that are sustained by the Word of God to satisfy our temptations. He will help us overcome the temptations in our lives.

Praise + Prayer:
Father,
I thank You that we don’t have to overcome temptations on our own. I thank You for Your grace. I thank You that Jesus and the Holy Spirit are always with me and that I’m never alone in my weakness. Fill me with Your Holy Spirit and let the Fruits of Your Spirit be more evident in my life. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 21:

Scripture:
“Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross.” Philippians 2:6-8(NLT)

Reflection: For a moment think about humility and your life. Are there areas where you need to empty yourself of your pride?

Thoughts: -Not having the last word is hard at times. And I can hold onto some things longer then I should at times when my feelings get hurt.

Praise + Prayer:

Lord, I know You resist the proud and give grace to the humble. Reveal any blind spots in me so that I can empty myself of them. I want people to see Jesus through my words and actions. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 22:
Scripture
:
“From then on Jesus began to preach, “Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near.” Matthew 4:17 NLT

Reflection:
Write down your salvation testimony and then ask God for an opportunity to share it with someone.

---I was fifteen years old when Jesus Christ became my Saviour. I used to always love reading my children's Bible and everything, but the reality of sin and my need for a Saviour came at this church I lived by at fifteen. So I knelt down on my bedside at home, since most of my revelation happens later when I am alone, and believed right there. My life has never been the same. Ever since then, I have committed my entire life to serving God and following after Him.

Praise + Prayer:
Father,
Thank You for Jesus and thank You for choosing me. Purify my heart and mind. Show me the areas of my life that I need to repent and trust You. I ask that You would open up an opportunity where I can testify of how good You are! Open my eyes to see the one that needs you today. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 23:
Scripture:
“And Jesus answered them, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.” Luke 5:31-32

Reflection:
Do you put rules above relationship with Jesus? Are you more concerned with checking your “Christian Checklist” than getting to know the heart of God? Do you love the idea of God or have you truly gotten to know God?

---Oh wow. This devotion really spoke to me today. I can tend to get "heady." Ive always been a rules gal, pretty religious, black or white person. The grey is hard for me. When I am not sure. Throws me off. Lose sight. I get into theologies and what is right or wrong and just always have to go back and stop. Get Bible head to heart on what is important. Since I have changed churches, I may not agree with everything word of faith movement, but I do believe God's healing more, God's working in me more, and am again awe inspired, hungry for God, taking it in again, head to heart. Nothing anybody did, but God just gently calling me, showing me where I needed to focus in on my faith to truly believe and know Him more. I am grateful God is helping me "find myself" in a sense, as I draw even closer to Him. God is love, and I am even more grateful for His teaching, that I may be able to help build a good and strong foundation in Christ for my kids too. Repentance is a wonderful gift....

Praise + Prayer:
Thank You, Father, for Jesus. I thank You that you always had a redemptive plan. I ask that You would forgive me of (list an area of your life that you need to repent of). I lay these sins at the foot of the cross, they are not mine to pick up again. I ask for Your grace and healing to cover those areas of my life. I thank You for Your forgiveness and unconditional love.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 24:

Scripture:

“Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy.” Proverbs 28:13 NLT

Reflection:
Could you use a few friends fighting for you in prayer? Ask Jesus who your praying friends are for this season of your life.

Thoughts: I think confessing our sins to God and others helps us to stay under a good spiritual covering. I don't ever want to be deceived into thinking just believing and speaking faith without effort to grow in my walk with God is enough to heal me in things. I am nothing apart from abiding in God. Living in sin has consequences and does kill people without the effort of walking close to God. Walking close to God though, definitely. There is power in true faith and living in it.

Praise + Prayer:
Lord, show me friends who I can trust and begin to build deep bonds and relationships with in this season of my life. I pray that these friends will go to great lengths to help hold me accountable towards my healing and wholeness. I pray that I will be brave to share my struggles with these trusted friends and that You would be working in their hearts to hear my heart. I pray that as I bring these areas of my life that I have kept hidden, I will be able to start walking out my freedom that is found from the cross. Thank You for going ahead of me and working everything out for my good. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 25:
Scripture:

“Now repent of your sins and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped away.” Acts 3:19 NLT

Reflection:
Is there something that even as you repent, you still treasure in your heart? Since Jesus has wiped your sins away, is there any way that you need to walk away from sin?

Thoughts: It is hard to manage my time in productive ways. I waste it, but have made great strides in putting God first again/making my day to day walk abiding more in the Word. It is harder not stopping sinful things, but doing the things I need to do to continue walking close to the Lord and not drift. I feel like transformation has come rather then just changing things. Mind renewal is so important.

Praise + Prayer:
Jesus, I praise You for setting me free. I now see that my repentance is choosing You and running into Your arms.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 26:

Scripture:

“But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.” 1 John 1:9

Reflection:
How do you view punishment versus consequences? In your own relationships in life are you motivated out of fear or love when you feel hurt, offended or lied to? Do you view God as an angry God or a loving God?

Thoughts:

Wasn't sure, so looked up some definitions.

Punishment- the imposition of an undesirable or unpleasant outcome upon a group or individual, meted out by an authority.

Consequence- Something that logically or naturally follows from an action or condition

I guess punishment brings condemnation, versus how consequences are more for teaching. I am grateful that the punishment for my sins was paid for, so that I can truly be taught in God's ways. Of course the natural consequences of sin is feeling distant feom God. Repenting and confessing sins helps to abide in His presence.

Praise + Prayer:
Father God,
Show me if there are any areas of my life that I’m viewing You through a lens of fear. Thank You that I can approach you at any time, that You are a safe place for me to reveal my heart too-- my struggles, sins, passions and goals. You are so good. Thank You for sending Jesus to take my punishment. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 27:

Scripture:

“But if a wicked person turns away from all the sins they have committed and keeps all my decrees and does what is just and right, that person will surely live; they will not die.” Ezekiel 18:21

Reflection:

Is there an area in your life which isn’t pleasing to Jesus?

Thoughts: I have had the most wicked thing imagined in my head. It came from watching stuff I shouldn't have watched. And I know Christ forgives me now, but still look back and feel self condemnation sometimes about it. It is very, very hard to control my thoughts sometimes. If any obsessive thinking I want, it is scripture and glorifying God. Imagining good things if I am to have a creative pretending. I have repented and only watch good thing from now on to renew my mind. But it is hard to take thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ when I have put really bad things in it. I am gracious for God's forgiveness, strive to cast down any wicked thoughts, and very encouraged by the devotion here I read today. God changed Saul into Paul, and many others.The active faith I want more is posting scriptures everywhere, so I constantly meditating on them. I need to get some tape or ticky tack or something. Do some print outs.

Praise + Prayer:
Lord, I am a sinner. Forgive me for when I have failed You. I repent of my sins and want You to be Lord of my life. Wash me clean and give me a new heart for You. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

Last edited:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 28:

Scripture:
“The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” 2 Peter 3:9 NIV

Reflection: What is the Lord giving you more time to change? Who can you reach out to and start sharing your faith journey of repentance with to inspire their repentance?

Thoughts: I am undisciplined really. I am good for awhile, then drift. Each time though, I go a little better spiritually. I think this is the season of transformation where I don't just change things, but keep the changes and become the spiritual warrior of God I desire to be. The truth is disciplined devotions and meditating on scriptures and praying certain times of the day... it really does strengthen me in God and keeps me from falling back in sinful thought patterns and habits. I am thankful for the different seasons in my spiritual walk. I just feel impatient sometimes and discouraged when I feel like some get things way before me. I am grateful for the time God gives me though and how patient He is. I try to remember that in being patient with others also. I am able to talk with a lot of people around me and work with precious childeen in a chrisrian school setting. So I try to live by example and share my faith when I can.

Praise + Prayer: God, thank You for Your patience with me. In the speed of life I often want to rush Your timing, but I know that You have a purpose in the slowness and it’s for my good. It’s because You want what’s best for me, my family and my community. You won’t force us but You want us all to make it. Thank You for this season of Lent to work on areas of repentance and glorify You in the process.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 29:

Scripture:

“Praise the Lord,my soul! All my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits: who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion,who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.” Psalms 103:1-5

Reflection:

What are some of the things you can bring to mind that God has done for you in terms of forgiveness, wellness, wholeness, love, desires and energy? List them.

Thoughts:

Forgiveness: Jesus Christ dying on the cross for payment for my sins. I would have no hope without His forgiveness

Wellness: mentally, I would have never overcame fear and anxiety without God in my life. He is my Jehovah Rapha.

Wholeness: I feel complete, at peace, and satisfied abiding in Jesus Christ

Love: 1 Corinthians 13, all of these are done to me and God's love has transformed my life to give the same to others.

Desires: I have gained a moral compass through God's Word. It helps me in my walk. Godly desires give me a straighter path. I walk with purpose.

Energy: I am motivated and strengthened in God.

Praise + Prayer:

Holy God, where can I begin this lenten season to adequately praise You for all You’ve done for me. My soul is bursting with expressions of praise for salvation, health, wholeness, joy, love, and energy. May my outward expression of praise this lenten season reflect the feelings in my soul. And if my soul is not in tune, tune me up for greater appreciation for You and what You’ve done for me.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 30:

Scripture:

Always be joyful. Never stop praying.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-17 (NLT)

Reflection:

On a scale of 1-10, how joyful are you? Is there an area where you need to trust God more?

Thoughts: I was studying joy recently in scriptures from the Bible. It is amazing that a lot of the times where joy is, it is in the middle of tribulation or persecution. I think that is the true test of joy in the middle of persecution. So as far as the scale goes, I am about an 8 or 9 in good times and prolly ranges 5 to 7 in the bad. Higher then it used to be as I lay my anxiety down and give things to the Lord. Ive had a lot more peace despite the world going into fire then in the past actually. But now it is the joy I want to look at and make sure I am praising God as much in the good times as in the bad.

Praise + Prayer:
Lord, I want to have joy in my life. Forgive me for not always trusting You. I need You in every area of my life. Thank You for Your Holy Spirit that is with me every moment of my day. I am not alone. You are with me and I am grateful. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Experiencing Jesus Together Through Lent • Devotional

https://bible.com/reading-plans/18351/day/31?segment=0

(I don't know if this is new, but there is a share button for the devotional now. Sweet.)

Day 31:
Scripture:

“Our soul waits for the LORD; He is our help and our shield. For our hearts rejoice in Him, since we trust in His holy name. May Your loving devotion rest on us, O LORD, as we put our hope in You.” Psalms 33:20-22 ESV

Reflection:
Are you waiting for someone to change your life? Is your hope slowly turning to this person, or are you waiting for Jesus? During Lent, do I focus on what I am giving up, or what Jesus has given up?

Thoughts: I gave up my own time to get into the Word more and pray, because I didn't want my fast in giving something up to be the focus. And Im keeping this time with God! Last two thursdays, I have started fasting noon to ten pm not eating. I havent really missed a meal, and didn't realize three days/nights would be a lot harder then I thought. Im just shaky near the end of ten, so I am juat keeping this. But my desire as I get deeper into this lent season, is to draw closer to Jesus, and I want to keep the intermittent fasting weekly until I feel God leading me to stop. I want to give this to Him and keep it as a reminder that I need Him even more then the food I eat. I tend to put a lot of weight into peoples' advice and counsel. It is wisdom to have a multitude of counselors, it is just having a good balance, I think. Ive been gaining deeper spiritual insight since bringing things in prayer more. I process by writing and it is good to have people who listen to me, but I don't want to be out for anyone to change my life, except for God.

Praise + Prayer:
Jesus, I see You in the pages of Scripture, and today I see You in the pages of my life. Forgive me of any time when I turned away or grew impatient. May Your loving devotion rest upon me.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

Day 32:

Scripture:

“Since we are receiving a Kingdom that is unshakable, let us be thankful and please God by worshiping him with holy fear and awe. For our God is a devouring fire.” Hebrews 12:28-29

https://bible.com/reading-plans/18351/day/32?segment=0

Reflection:
I invite you to close your eyes. Use your imagination to picture God engulfing you with His love. Ask Him what He loves about you? Next, let God know what you love about Him.

Thoughts:I am in awe of the power of God and His unshakeable kingdom. And that this God, my God, He loves me

Praise + Prayer:
God,
I thank You that Your Kingdom is unshakable! Oh how I love to worship You and linger in Your presence. I’m in awe of Your holiness and how Your love is like a devouring fire. Mold me, transform me into the person You created me to be—purify my heart, my mind and my soul! In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

https://bible.com/reading-plans/18351/day/33?segment=0

Day 33:
Scripture:

“All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ. Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes.” Ephesians 1:3-4

Reflection:

Do you truly believe this verse to be true? Do you truly believe that He has blessed you with every spiritual blessing? If not, ask God what lie you are believing that you are unable to receive this truth? Repent of the lie. Maybe there is someone you need to forgive. Declare this verse over your life out loud, and let your mind be renewed.

Thoughts: I truly believe this and it is humbling that God gives me and you every spiritual blessing and sees me holy and without fault.

Praise + Prayer:
Thank You, Father, for blessing me with every spiritual blessing!! Help me to trust You with this truth. I want to pray what’s on Your heart and want to walk in step with where You are leading me. I am inviting You to invade my day! Help me to renew my mind with what You say about who I am. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

https://bible.com/reading-plans/18351/day/34?segment=0

Day 34:

Scripture:
“And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” Romans 12:1-2 NLT

Reflection:
At church today, our guest speaker, talked on the topic of surrender. He asked if there were areas of our lives that we are struggling to surrender to God. I am asking you the same question. Do you need God to break the glass ceiling that you have placed on your life and let Him show that there is more?

Thoughts: I am learning more every day. Fear was a big one, but I'll have to talk to God as far as there being anything else I need to surrender as of right now. As of right now, I feel like I am growing and in a really good place.
I am working hard in transforming my mind and God has taken over in this. I feel like I am growing in an accelerated pace lately.

Praise + Prayer:
Father God,
I thank You that You are a good God. You are so trustworthy. Reveal to me the areas of my life that I’m still holding onto, the areas that I need to fully surrender to You. I repent of holding onto things that need to be released. I repent for not fully trusting You with my life. Transform me into a new person by changing the way I think. I can’t afford to have any thoughts in my mind that don’t line up with who You say I am. Help me learn to know Your will for my life. I know that it is good, pleasing and perfect!

Amen.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

https://bible.com/reading-plans/18351/day/35?segment=0

Day 35:

Scripture:
But the time is coming--indeed it’s here now--when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship him that way. For God is Spirit, so those who worship him must worship in spirit and in truth.” John 4:23-24 NLT

Reflection:

Do you have a right heart? If you’re not sure, ask Jesus to be your Savior in this quiet moment. Remember, God loves you! “…and sent his Son (Jesus)as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.” (1 John 4:10b) As you spend time with Jesus today thank Him for His Spirit that makes your heart right. Worship Him for His incredible love that saves you.

Thought: He redeemed us! Praise be the name of the Lord!

Praise + Prayer:
Jesus, You died upon a cross

And rose again to save the lost

Forgive me now of all my sin

Come be my Savior, Lord, and Friend

Change my life and make it new

And help me, Lord, to live for you

thesalvationpoem.com

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay!!!!

So this week the ladies on you version are doing a devo together. Fluff mentioned putting the questions on here to discuss, so thought it was a good idea. If anyone wants to join, let me know. Orbjust hop in here. Prolly have to keep the devo part on there, but you can share you responses. Has been some good discussion. :cool:

This week it is:

Adored By The God Who Sees Me

Adored By The God Who Sees Me

Day 1 Questons/scripture (devo is on page.)

Journal Prompt

Can you name some common sources we may turn to in place of God as we look for meaning, significance and fulfillment? To whom or what do you turn?

Genesis 16:13
Psalm 34:18
John 4:1-9

For the meaning of life, there is really only one reliable source we can turn to Maam, that is God's word the Bible. If He doesn't exist, then we are basically just a freak of nature. By posting those scriptures, you must agree that the answers to life's important questions can be found in the Holy Bible.

Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
40 Day Lent

https://bible.com/reading-plans/18351/day/36?segment=0

Day 36:

Scripture:
“Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way.” Psalm 139:23-24 NIV

Reflection:

Have you been superficial in your conversations with God? Have you had the courage to ask God to search your heart? What will you do today to open yourself up to the Lord?

Thoughts: This is one of my favorite prayers...I am thankful I do not have to be perfect for God to love me and I can take anything to Him in prayer. He transforms me inside and out.

Praise + Prayer:

God, thank You for wanting to lead me. I want to be vulnerable and put my guard down so that You can search me. There is nothing that is in me that will surprise You because You know everything. But I thank You that You don’t want to force a relationship with me but You give me a choice. Thank You that You have an unending devotion to me because You love me and want to help me walk the path that leads to my eternal home with You. I pray right now that You will search my heart, test me, know my anxious thoughts and see if there is any offensive way in me. I want to know You and I want You to lead me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.