ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος καὶ ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Isn't it:
And the word was God ?

GodsGrace,

Why would anyone on an English Christian forum start a thread with the title: Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος, καὶ ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν, καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος?

Tranliterated it is en arche en ho logos, kai ho logos en pros ton theon, kai theos en ho logos = (literally) 'In beginning was the Logos, and the Logos was with the God and God was the Word'.

Here's a technical explanation.

Colwell's rule in Greek grammar states that the definite predicate nouns that precede the verb (in Greek) do not take a definite article. This is to indicate which noun is the subject and which is the predicate in the clause. This applies to καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος =kai theos en ho logos. Theos (God) is not accompanied by a definite article, thus indicating it is the predicate of the clause. Since ho logos is accompanied by a definite article, it is translated as the subject of the clause.

Thus, 'The Word was God' is the correct translation and not as in the NWT of the JWs, ''the Word was a god'.

For those of us under the British system, what USA grammar calls the predicate nominative in association with the verb 'to be', we Aussies call the complement of the sentence.

There will be the occasional exception to Colwell's Rule, but the context determines that.

Oz

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
GodsGrace,

Why would anyone on an English Christian forum start a thread with the title: Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος, καὶ ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν, καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος?

Tranliterated it is en arche en ho logos, kai ho logos en pros ton theon, kai theos en ho logos = (literally) 'In beginning was the Logos, and the Logos was with the God and God was the Word'.

Colwell's rule in Greek grammar states that the definite predicate nouns that precede the verb (in Greek) do not take a definite article. This is to indicate which noun is the subject and which is the predicate in the clause. This applies to καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος =kai theos en ho logos. Theos (God) is not accompanied by a definite article, thus indicating it is the predicate of the clause. Since ho logos is accompanied by a definite article, it is translated as the subject of the clause.

For those of us under the British system, what USA grammar calls the predicate nominative in association with the verb 'to be', we Aussies call the complement of the sentence.

There will be the occasional exception to Colwell's Rule, but the context determines that.

Oz
You know Oz,,,I don't like to brag, but I happen to be very good at English.
BUT, I don't know any of the rules!!!
How could this be?
I don't know...
But what you've stated above deserves some kind of an award.
Yeah...you deserve an award and I ain't leavin' here till you get one!

Reactions: Grailhunter

Executioner

Jul 23, 2019
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You sound totally crazy...and a total nutter.

You need help...go and get some quickly.

Even the avatar name you use...you 'think' God is on your side...He is not.
Who the heck do you think that you are?

Deceived, for one thing... we didn't need Hidden In Him to tell us that you are a troll.... your first post exposes you...and all the rest of your posts confirm it!
Ala maii konecti pal mucondo lecttyi.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
GodsGrace,

Thus, 'The Word is God' is the correct translation and not as in the NWT of the JWs, 'The word is a god'.

Oz
P.S.
The reason is that he was just kidding us...
He's gone now so we could breath easy.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He's gone now so we could breath easy.

You wish!! haha!!

I think you can now say that we have been conversing with a religious spirit.:rolleyes:

Hidden In His had the wisdom.
Jesus said "My sheep know my voice..."......

And this for sure, isn't it, by far.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You know Oz,,,I don't like to brag, but I happen to be very good at English.
BUT, I don't know any of the rules!!!
How could this be?
I don't know...
But what you've stated above deserves some kind of an award.
Yeah...you deserve an award and I ain't leavin' here till you get one!

tenor.gif

Reactions: GodsGrace

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GodsGrace,

Being rather simple Greek, it is fun to read! But you're right, he got the translation wrong.

"and God the Word was", would be the simplest way to say it, or what we all know, the Word was God. Perfectly correct.

:)

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
You wish!! haha!!

I think you can now say that we have been conversing with a religious spirit.:rolleyes:

Hidden In His had the wisdom.
Jesus said "My sheep know my voice..."......

And this for sure, isn't it, by far.
Agreed. 101%. For sure.

Reactions: Grailhunter

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you had the avatar before...I remember now.
Yes, it was a typical Hepburn pose.

Right click on the image you want.
"copy image"

Then go to your profile page and "paste image"
to your avatar.
(or maybe this gets done with the avatar itself---every forum is different)
Did that...nope....when i click on the empty avatar photo
...it goes to some document page of mine that has nothing in it...I have had 3-4 laptops since 2009..I've lost a lot of stuff.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being rather simple Greek, it is fun to read! But you're right, he got the translation wrong.

Badly wrong. I just didn't waste any time correcting him on it, but he translated the second phrase as "And the Word of God was one with God" when the sentence simply reads "the word was with God."

He is quoting it about himself (as being "one with God") to justify reigning supreme over us all, LoL.

Troll's troll : )

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
...it goes to some document page of mine that has nothing in it...I have had 3-4 laptops since 2009..I've lost a lot of stuff.
Look under images in google or bing.
Images of Katherine Hepburn.

Let me try it here and then I'll be back.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Go to your account by hitting your name up on the top of the page.
Go to AVATAR.

You might have to save the image you like onto a file on your desk top.
Then just pick that file to upload it to your avatar.

Keep trying..it's easy.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look under images in google or bing.
Images of Katherine Hepburn.
Let me try it here and then I'll be back.
I can copy anything...but when I try to transfer anything on the the blank Avatar under 'Avatar"...there is no "Paste image' available when I right click...I don't care, mind you.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Go to your account by hitting your name up on the top of the page.
Go to AVATAR.

You might have to save the image you like onto a file on your desk top.

Then just pick that file to upload it to your avatar.
I believe that is the issue.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I believe that is the issue.
Yes. You have to upload from a file...
it says : choose file.

Save the image you like to a file...
SAVE IMAGE AS.....
and then just put it in that folder.

Then youCHOOSE that image when the avatar window tells you.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. You have to upload from a file...
it says : choose file.

Save the image you like to a file...
SAVE IMAGE AS.....
and then just put it in that folder.
Then youCHOOSE that image when the avatar window tells you.
I put it into a 'Pictures' file ...I have tried and tried I do not know how it then goes to the Avatar square ...or to Browse...But I don't care...

file:///C:/Users/Pray/Pictures/Saved%20Pictures/actress-katharine-hepburn-relaxes-in-stratford-connecticut-where-she-picture-id514877676.jpg
The picture did not print here either just it's link...
I have a belief...whenever someone says it's easy ....it never is for me.
I know SO little about computers or Xfinity or cars.
But I can tell you what your hypothalamus is for and where your quadratus lumborum and ishial tuberosity are!

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I put it into a 'Pictures' file ...I have tried and tried I do not know how it then goes to the Avatar square ...or to Browse...But I don't care...

file:///C:/Users/Pray/Pictures/Saved%20Pictures/actress-katharine-hepburn-relaxes-in-stratford-"-where-she-picture-id514877676.jpg
The picture did not print here either just it's link...
I have a belief...whenever someone says it's easy ....it never is for me.
I know SO little about computers or Xfinity or cars.
But I can tell you what your hypothalamus is for and where your quadratus lumborum and ishial tuberosity are!
"But I can tell you what your hypothalamus is for and where your quadratus lumborum and ishial tuberosity are!"
Now, that's some pretty "heady" stuff :D

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"But I can tell you what your hypothalamus is for and where your quadratus lumborum and ishial tuberosity are!"
Now, that's some pretty "heady" stuff :D
Point is...some things are not easy for a novice.
I'm lucky I can use my remote control when I can find it. If I had a teenager to show me stuff I'd be a lot better off.

Reactions: Nancy