“The Righteous Requirement of the Law” -NC

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
This topic does get around. How many threads is this now?

I'll just quote the same verse as before....Romans 3:10; “There is no one righteous, not even one"

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
This topic does get around. How many threads is this now?

I'll just quote the same verse as before....Romans 3:10; “There is no one righteous, not even one"

Those who have been forgiven of their sin and are walking in the Spirit of Christ are righteous.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 3:10 is in reference to the concept that man cannot of himself be righteous, which are those without God; "no, not one".

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
Romans 3:10 is in reference to the concept that man cannot of himself be righteous, which are those without God; "no, not one".

I disagree...Paul clearly says, there IS no one. He goes on to say that Abraham's faith was credited to him AS righteousness. Why? Because he believed in God's promise of a Saviour. In the same way when we accept Jesus, He is credited to us AS righteousness, in the same way as Abraham. We do not obtain or receive our OWN righteousness.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree...Paul clearly says, there IS no one. He goes on to say that Abraham's faith was credited to him AS righteousness. Why? Because he believed in God's promise of a Saviour. In the same way when we accept Jesus, He is credited to us AS righteousness, in the same way as Abraham. We do not obtain or receive our OWN righteousness.

Your reply here agrees with mine and Son of Man in that the righteousness of Christ is imputed to those who are His. Romans 3 concerns those who are without God and therefore, are without His righteousness. There is no righteousness apart from Him and so we have none--it's His we stand in.

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
Your reply here agrees with mine and Son of Man in that the righteousness of Christ is imputed to those who are His. Romans 3 concerns those who are without God and therefore, are without His righteousness. There is no righteousness apart from Him and so we have none--it's His we stand in.

Like I said, I disagree with what you say about Romans 3. The book is written to believers not unbelievers.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Stan, by your reasoning if the righteousness of God which is imputed (as you do agree) does not make one righteous, then the imputation of sin should not make one a sinner.
Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

However, we know that when sin is imputed we are sinners (in actuality). It is not a theoretical concept.

Likewise, when God imputes righteousness we are righteous (in Him) and we are called to walk in this righteousness and remain in it. Imputation is not just a legal standing but a reality that is manifested in us. Christ in us, the hope of glory.
Rom 4:22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.

We see many ways and testimonies in the NT where the reality of Christ and His righteousness in us are manifested. Here is one such way.
2Co 2:15 For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:
2Co 2:16 To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?

2Co 2:14 Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.

This is intimate heart knowledge of Jesus Christ that comes from partaking of His divine nature as we abide in Him. (...that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature,,, 2Pe 1:.4). Peter goes on to speak about adding to "YOUR faith, virtue,,,godliness. He is saying YOUR virtue and godliness. Of course we know it comes from Christ in us, conforming us to His image (character).

Therefore something is to take place IN US, now. And what that is, is God's righteousness being fulfilled IN US as we walk after the Spirit.
Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Rom 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body (old man) is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

If the body of sin (the flesh, the old man) is alive in you then you are a sinner but if the old man is dead then Christ must be in you and you are righteous in Him.

Again, this is not theory. His righteousness is to be realized in your life in greater and greater capacity. From glory to glory and faith to faith.
2Co 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Here, Paul is speaking about "your righteousness", but you say we have no righteousness. I suppose you will pull out the Greek or another translation on this verse.
2Co 9:10 Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)

The "New Man" that we are to "put on" is a Righteous New Man.
Eph 4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

If the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness...
Eph 5:9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)

How can we be filled with the fruits of righteousness if we don't have the righteousness within us, first?
Php 1:11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

The verse you use has to do with salvation and there is no one righteous. All must come through Jesus Christ, the righteous one.

Rom_3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

Jesus is in the business of making men righteous.
Rom_5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Christians are not supposed to have a "dirty old man" living side by side with the New Man created in Righteousness.

Rom_6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Stan, Christ is your remedy for the "old man". You don't have to walk around beating yourself over the head. God always causes us to triumph in Christ and make manifest the savour of His knowledge.

Eph 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
Col 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

1Jn 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
1Jn 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Axehead

Reactions: dragonfly

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
Stan, by your reasoning if the righteousness of God which is imputed (as you do agree) does not make one righteous, then the imputation of sin should not make one a sinner.
Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

However, we know that when sin is imputed we are sinners (in actuality). It is not a theoretical concept.

Likewise, when God imputes righteousness we are righteous (in Him) and we are called to walk in this righteousness and remain in it. Imputation is not just a legal standing but a reality that is manifested in us. Christ in us, the hope of glory.
Rom 4:22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.

Axehead, the KJV may use impute but the Greek word is ellogeō, a verb which means to charge to one's account or credited. I didn't agree to that wording. My words are clearly written. Sin is NOT imputed to us, we sin, period. Paul makes it clear in Romans 1 that even those that don't know the written law, know God and His laws because they establish them in their own minds and as they do so, they sin when they go against those laws. I fail to understand why anyone wants to try and speak righteousness into their lives when the Bible shows they can't. Jesus says so, Paul says so and many other places in the Bible say so. There is something disturbing about people who want to appropriate a righteousness as theirs, when it isn't. We are sinners because of the fall and our own unrighteous nature. We sin, we are NOT righteous. When that which is incorruptible is come then we will no longer sin and will be righteous. That is our Eternal inheritance which we strive towards. We have not yet attained it, nor will we ever in this life.
Eph 4:23 says we are created to BE LIKE God...future tense. Paul talks about the process in the later verses in chapter 4. This obviously is NOT an instantaneous event, it is a life long process. I don't beat myself up Axehead. On the other hand you seem to beat up on others that don't agree with your idea of self righteousness. I suggest your read Luke 18:9-14, to see how Jesus views those who think they are or have their own righteousness.
BTW, Romans 4:22 says; That is why his faith was credited to him as righteousness.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Stan, you have avoided all of my questions.

Will you answer just one?

Since you have been saved, (I am assuming you were delivered from the power of sin), has the Holy Spirit been giving you more and more victories in your heart (inner man) as you walk with Him?

Axehead

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like I said, I disagree with what you say about Romans 3. The book is written to believers not unbelievers.

Rom 7:10-18 are those without Christ because the accusations are not fitting of one born-again. Paul's quotes in these verses are from Psalm 14 which is directed to the unrighteous. Your correct that Romans 3 (and the entire Bible) addresses the saved but in this it discusses the lost.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Rom 7:10-18 are those without Christ because the accusations are not fitting of one born-again. Paul's quotes in these verses are from Psalm 14 which is directed to the unrighteous. Your correct that Romans 3 (and the entire Bible) addresses the saved but in this it discusses the lost.

I agree with that, NetChap.

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
Stan, you have avoided all of my questions.

Will you answer just one?

Since you have been saved, (I am assuming you were delivered from the power of sin), has the Holy Spirit been giving you more and more victories in your heart (inner man) as you walk with Him?

Axehead

Axehead, I answered you the way you answer a lot of people. Frustrating isn't it?

Since Jesus came into my heart, yes. Every single day He deals with me and I confess to Him.

I wasn't quoting Romans 7 NC.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
On the contrary, Stan. I think it is great that you are able to say that "Jesus deals with you".

Thank you,
Axehead