“Welcome Holy Spirit”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh dear you seem to be very belligerent in your posts.

Please quote the portion that comes across as belligerent. If it is so, then the Lord will help me to post better. If it is a misunderstanding, I shall clarify it.

They are much too long and I can't follow them.

If you know other members that are like minded with you that can read long posts for you, ask them to step in. I don't mind.

I'll try to shorten it. Maye by breaking that post up after this post into smaller posts.

I don't know how you can't understand the difference between Spirit fill and led and not spirit filled or led. Perhaps you are just being awkward.

Your thread is entitled "Welcome Holy Spirit" & how you share your testimony about Spirit-filled as ongoing in by a continual supernatural phenomenon is not Biblical.

Calm down and take a deep breath and re-read your posts.

I shall try and break up the post into smaller post and maybe guess at what you may read as belligerent.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 3:16 “ As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him.”

Descending on Jesus is not the same as filling Him. This was the Spirit's added witness to the Father's verbal witness from Heaven that Jesus is His Son and thus God in sending Him in fulfillment of the prophesy of the Lord God & His Spirit sending the Lord Our Redeemer.

Isaiah 48:16 Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord God, and his Spirit, hath sent me. 17 Thus saith the Lord, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the Lord thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 4:1 “Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil.”

One may wonder if Jesus was crazy for going into the desert to purposefully be tempted by the devil, but when led by the Spirit....

Luke 4:1-2 says, “Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the desert, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil.”

This testify that He was not partially filed with the holy Spirit when He went into the desert but led by the Spirit to do that.

Luke 4:14 says, “Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about him spread through the whole countryside.”

This testifies how He had returned thus not by His flesh. That whole ordeal was done in the power of the Spirit so this does testify to how believers are always Spirit-filled and we can face any tribulation or fiery trials in the power of the Holy Spirit.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Your thread is entitled "Welcome Holy Spirit"
That is the title of this thread only because it is the title of the book I quoted. And was saying how the Catholic church had taken simple Christianity and complicated it. It's okay, you needn't break up your posts as I don't understand where you are coming from or what you are getting at. Feel free to stop posting.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that this is a crucial ‘key’ for living our Christian lives effectively. I know I have been filled by the Holy Spirit, probably more than once,

"Probably?" So you are not referring to a notable supernatural phenomenon of feeling a spirit coming over you & filling you then? Just in principle? Or are you referring to that phenomenon but just lost count how many times that had happened? Just asking a question to clarify what you are talking about.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and I know that I have been led by the Holy Spirit occasionally, but I can’t say that I very often truly walked in the power of the Spirit with authority. Although since I was born again Jesus live in me through his Spirit.

I believe the Holy Spirit has been in you since salvation, but if we believe we can receive Him again apart from salvation, then God will permit that strong delusion to occur for believing that lie when He has been in us since salvation for why we are always Spirit-filled as a testimony from God that we are saved.

If wayward believers do go astray like that, they can call on Jesus Christ for help to return to their first love and seek no more supernatural filling of the Holy Spirit for we are a new creature able to hold the Holy Spirit as sealed ( Matthew 9:17 ) to never seek to be filled again ( John 6:35 )

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is the title of this thread only because it is the title of the book I quoted.

I understand that.

And was saying how the Catholic church had taken simple Christianity and complicated it.

Not having read the book, I am confused to the title of the book in relation to the topic of the book.

There is such a thing as a Charismatic Catholic Church FYI.

It's okay, you needn't break up your posts as I don't understand where you are coming from or what you are getting at. Feel free to stop posting.

Just trying to understand what you are saying in how you were judging between Spirit-filled and traditionalists. And because there is such a thing as a Charismatic Catholic Church is why your reference to Anglican as Spirit-filled and then it went to traditions is why I do not understand what you are saying when the early church was Spirit-filled/Spirit led and yet held fast to traditions also.

However if you do not wish to continue the discussion with me, since I am trying to answer your question for why I do not understand you, then I shall stop.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"Probably?" So you are not referring to a notable supernatural phenomenon of feeling a spirit coming over you & filling you then? Just in principle? Or are you referring to that phenomenon but just lost count how many times that had happened? Just asking a question to clarify what you are talking about.
I am saying that although I am indwelled by the Holy Spirit and have been since I was born again there has been at least one occasion that I can remember when I felt taken over by the Spirit. And there have also been times when I have been led by the Spirit. It's a process and we need to keep close to God for the Holy Spirit to manifest himself in us.

Reactions: marks

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I believe the Holy Spirit has been in you since salvation, but if we believe we can receive Him again apart from salvation, then God will permit that strong delusion to occur for believing that lie when He has been in us since salvation for why we are always Spirit-filled as a testimony from God that we are saved.
I believe he has been in me since I was saved too. But I also believe that there are times or circumstance in which we need more than his indwelling, we actually need his power, and that is given as and when. Also I believe that he will guide me and lead me.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am saying that although I am indwelled by the Holy Spirit and have been since I was born again there has been at least one occasion that I can remember when I felt taken over by the Spirit. And there have also been times when I have been led by the Spirit. It's a process and we need to keep close to God for the Holy Spirit to manifest himself in us.
@Pearl Romans 8 indeed reminds us that all true believers in the Lord Jesus are indwelt by the Holy Spirit: "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." (Romans 8.9).

Reactions: marks and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Not having read the book, I am confused to the title of the book in relation to the topic of the book.
It was a year long daily study about the attributes and works of the Holy Spirit - there was a lot more to it than just my OP.
There is such a thing as a Charismatic Catholic Church FYI.
I am aware of that and have known some 'Charismatic Catholics. I am Charismatic but not Catholic or even Anglican any longer. The two vicars were not known to me personally but to a pastor friend.
However if you do not wish to continue the discussion with me, since I am trying to answer your question for why I do not understand you, then I shall stop.
I really don't know which question you think I want you to answer so perhaps this whole thing is best dropped.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Of course there can be assemblies which lack the presence of the Holy Spirit. Not all who assemble together are Christians. Some churches actively choose to deny him. I know of a lively church led by a born again Spirit filled man. When he retired those responsible chose to appoint a man who was neither born again nor Spirit filled because the majority of the electing committee preferred to do things in the old traditional way. Needless to say that church lost its life.
@Pearl Acts 2.42 and the activities in which the early believers continued steadfastly can be a good guide....

Reactions: Pearl

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, but Jesus Christ is with me and I can ask Him for wisdom.
So I'm curious how far into translation work you want to go? You are critiquing a translation, but you don't know any Greek?

Much love!

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark uses a word here that means "throwing out", the Spirit cast out Jesus into the wilderness.

The KJV puts it this way:

Mark 1:12 KJV
And immediately the Spirit driveth him into the wilderness.

I'm wondering about the parsing between "Spirit filled", "Spirit led", now we have "Spirit driven", isn't the reality that there are a number of ways that God uses in speaking of how the Holy Spirit interacts with us, and how He impacts our lives, and maybe we shouldn't try to put Him in too much a of box, and instead focus on seeking His working in our lives?

Much love!

The Holy Spirit fulfills His role as the Comforter by being in us as we are that box.

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

We will know the real indwelling holy Spirit from the way the world receives spirits again and again and again after a sign.

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

The apostle John helps us with testing the spirits by knowing He is in us and what is felt outside of us is the spirit of the antichrist.

1 John 4:1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

The words "is come" is where Jesus Christ is presently as dwelling within us. Verse 2 is the same thing as saying this below in 2 Corinthians 13:5

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

With His help, we can know this is the true message by how John goes on to verse 3 about those not confessing Him as presently within us but outside of us as felt.

3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

So the Holy Spirit is in the box and not outside of us or else we could never test what is the real Holy Spirit from the spirit of the antichrist.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is it who is "seeking to be filled again"? This seems to be a complaint of yours, but against whom?

Much love!

Not sure how anyone believes in a continual filling of the Spirit then.

Were you not applying Ephesians 5:18 to that effect when I have been saying that just means don't get drunk, but remain sober as filled with the Spirit??

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I'm curious how far into translation work you want to go? You are critiquing a translation, but you don't know any Greek?

Much love!

Let's put it in this way; scripture cannot go against scripture and that is how one can know if they are rightly dividing the word of truth, let alone properly translating a verse.

Since believers are holding contentions with the written word in English due to changed messages in modern bibles, there is going to be more contentions about how to translate the Greek into English.

Indeed, the Greek word pneuma for spirit does not always refer to the holy Spirit and it has to be defined by the context of the message.

2 Corinthians 3:6 and John 6:63 in some modern Bibles has spirit capitalized whereas the KJV and a few other modern bibles do not. So who is right?

Jesus said scripture testifies of Him per John 5:39-40 and that we are to come to Him for life and He said in john 6:30-35 that He is the bread of life that gives life to the world and they can receive Him by coming to & believing in Him.

But due to the modified Nicene creed of 381 A.D. in giving the Spirit the credit & glory as the Giver of life, believers tend to follow the status quo.

Anyway wisdom has to come from the Lord for discerning Bible versions in English as it does for translating the Greek into English to see the truth in His words.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure how anyone believes in a continual filling of the Spirit then.

Were you not applying Ephesians 5:18 to that effect when I have been saying that just means don't get drunk, but remain sober as filled with the Spirit??

"be ye being filled"

But you say we are filled once, that's it.

You fault the translation, but I disagree. The translation is good. You need to receive the actual statement of the Bible.

Much love!