1 John 3:9 - Is it cannot "practice" sin, or cannot "commit" sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many choose practice over commit in connection with 1 John 1:4 and 9

• Cannot "practice" sin

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Cannot "commit sin

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

HIM

Apr 18, 2021
Ashland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, let's look at 1 John 1:8 to 1 John 2:2 as a whole.

1 John 1:8 says we cannot deny that we have (Present Active Indicative) sin in us NOW. We know from Romans 7 that Sin is a power that lies within us.

1 John 1:9 says if we confess (Present Active Subjective) our sins NOW, God is trustworthy (πιστός) to forgive our sins and cleanse us of our ἀδικίας, the forensic judgement that we are in the wrong (see Romans); our guilt. Note that the guilt is cleansed, but the power of sin within us still remains NOW.

1 John 1:10 says we cannot deny that we have have sinned in the past.

1 John 2:1 introduces John's primary reason for writing the letter: That his flock MIGHT NOT (Subjunctive, the mood of possibility) sin. (Gosh, God doesn't want us to sin. Who would have guessed?) But if anyone DOES sin (also Subjunctive), Jesus Christ is our Advocate.

1 John 2:2 states the great truth that Jesus Christ IS (Present tense) the atoning sacrifice not only for our sins, but the sins of the whole world.

Context: The flow is simple; don't read things into it that aren't there. We have the power of sin in us and we have sinned in the past. Those truths cannot be denied by first-century Gnostics or twenty-first century religious folks. We are told not to sin, but if we do sin, we may confess our sins and trust God's forgiveness and Christ's atoning sacrifice and His advocacy on our behalf. Do you see any time limits on that? I don't. Let's not deny the only reason for hope we have: God and Christ's trustworthiness. Trust!

If we are unfaithful, he remains faithful, for he cannot deny who he is. (2 Timothy 2:13)
Sin in verse 8 is a noun not a verb. It is does not have to become an action. Otherwise the subjunctive mode, the mode of possibility in verse 2:1 does not hold much value in respect to that we "may not sin" and the condition of the advocate Jesus being ready to intercede "if" we do. The word confess in verse 8 essentially means assent. If we agree that we have sin he is faithful to forgive, take away that sin before it becomes an action and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
And Romans 8:2 says that Paul has been set free from the issue that plagued him chapter seven.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi there GodsGrace
Simply put a fake sin is a sin that somebody came up with that is not in the Bible....more specifically not in the New Testament.
The history of Christianity, 2000 years of people trying to suggest that they are holier than thou by what they do not do.
When pleasing God is about exhausting yourself doing what you should do.
And then we get into the false beliefs....but I but together a short list of false sins.....

Tobacco use
Sexual desire
Sex
Nudity
not Tithing
Various types of music
Drinking alcoholic beverages
Drinking coffee…caffeine
Eating pork
Gambling
Cards and dice and board games
Women wearing pants
Women wearing shorts
Women wearing make-up
Women wearing dresses above the knees
Women working outside the home
Men with long hair
Women with short hair
Tattoos
Dancing
Going to the swimming pool…swimming with mixed sexes.
Physical sports such as boxing and football
Military service
Law enforcement
Self-defense or the defense of others
The use of any other bible other than the King James Version
Visiting or associating with other denominational churches
Not belonging to a denomination
Watching television
I began to address your larger list of what you call “fake sins” in your other thread you had listed.
If anyone else is interested in my rebuttal of certain things on his list, they can check out my beginning reply...

1. here,
2. here,
3. here,
4. here,
5. here,
6. here, and
7. here.

May God bless you all.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We're adopted into the family so it's not quite as you've posed the question.

DJT_47 had an interesting insight from a totally unrelated thread.

3:1 See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; for such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 2 Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure. ... 9 No one who is born of God practices sin, because His genes are in him; and he is not able to sin, because he is born of God. (1 John 3:1-3; 9)

We are not natural-born members of the family; we are adopted. John is explaining to us just what is expected of us as members of our new family. Jesus shows us what a natural-born child of God looks like: He/she is is not able to sin, and loves his/her brothers and sisters.
What we are to be has not yet manifested itself. We're still growing-up children in training. God knows this, and He's not going to kick us out of the family (a common anxiety of adopted children, I'm told) if we screw up.

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You see I love animals, and I could no more abuse an animal even ONCE. That is "we cannot commit sin."
Well Lady, you might not be tempted by that but it doesn’t make a rule that you are incapable of sinning.

I’m reading a book written by my Pastor called Good Enough For God. Just last night the chapter delved into this very thread’s subject. She clarified the verses ought to be interpreted as habitually.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we agree that we have sin he is faithful to forgive, take away that sin before it becomes an action and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
And Romans 8:2 says that Paul has been set free from the issue that plagued him chapter seven.
That would be lust, which is sin of the heart, before sinning in word or deed.

Confession is not just agreement, which is neutral, but is with godly sorrow unto repentance.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@grace, @Pearl @ScottA

None of you answered the question regarding with translation is correct.

1. "practice"
2. "commit"

Please tell me now. And if you chose "practice." what does "practice" entail?
I was not answering what you posed in the form of a question, but answered the more common question and stated the truth about would-be ongoing sin.

I have been gone for a few weeks and there are many more things that have been said that I have missed out on, but perhaps it would be better if you just stated what you believe, rather than posing it as a question.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was not answering what you posed in the form of a question, but answered the more common question and stated the truth about would-be ongoing sin.

I have been gone for a few weeks and there are many more things that have been said that I have missed out on, but perhaps it would be better if you just stated what you believe, rather than posing it as a question.
The Young's Literal Translation of 1 John 3:9 is "every one who hath been begotten of God, sin he doth not, because his seed in him doth remain, and he is not able to sin, because of God he hath been begotten."

That is once, not merely "practice." So "commit" is more accurate to represent once, as in "not able to sin." I have found that those who choose "practice" believe it has the concept of being able to sin, just not making a practice of sinning. So I did ask on one poster how many times does one murder for it to be considered a practice and the desire stays in you. When Jesus takes away sin, He takes away the source of the sin which is our cleansing our nature from the carnal nature back to the pure human nature with free will that Adam was created with. Adam was able to commit sin, but we have something he didn't have, and that is the infilling of the Holy Spirit, the seed of God.

There are two types of sin. Sins unto death, and sins not unto death. Chapter 3 above is about sins unto death (verse 4). So we do not have any desire to break one of the moral commandments in the Ten Commandments. Therefore if someone calls themselves a Christian and still has a desire to steal, lie, murder, commit adultery, etc. then they may be talking the talk, but are NOT walking the walk and do no belong to Christ. That is why the word "say" is the key word to show that person in only talking the talk in 1 John 1:6,8,10. 1 John 1:7 is walking the walk. 1 John 1:9 is the same as Acts of the Apostles 2:38 needed to only be done once to receive the power of the Holy Spirit and be cleansed of all unrighteousness.

Sins NOT unto death is human nature that still has immature fruit of the Spirit, but they consistently overcome those failings as we grow in the Spirit. Those steps to maturity are 2 Peter 1:5-7

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Young's Literal Translation of 1 John 3:9 is "every one who hath been begotten of God, sin he doth not, because his seed in him doth remain, and he is not able to sin, because of God he hath been begotten."

That is once, not merely "practice." So "commit" is more accurate to represent once, as in "not able to sin." I have found that those who choose "practice" believe it has the concept of being able to sin, just not making a practice of sinning. So I did ask on one poster how many times does one murder for it to be considered a practice and the desire stays in you. When Jesus takes away sin, He takes away the source of the sin which is our cleansing our nature from the carnal nature back to the pure human nature with free will that Adam was created with. Adam was able to commit sin, but we have something he didn't have, and that is the infilling of the Holy Spirit, the seed of God.

There are two types of sin. Sins unto death, and sins not unto death. Chapter 3 above is about sins unto death (verse 4). So we do not have any desire to break one of the moral commandments in the Ten Commandments. Therefore if someone calls themselves a Christian and still has a desire to steal, lie, murder, commit adultery, etc. then they may be talking the talk, but are NOT walking the walk and do no belong to Christ. That is why the word "say" is the key word to show that person in only talking the talk in 1 John 1:6,8,10. 1 John 1:7 is walking the walk. 1 John 1:9 is the same as Acts of the Apostles 2:38 needed to only be done once to receive the power of the Holy Spirit and be cleansed of all unrighteousness.

Sins NOT unto death is human nature that still has immature fruit of the Spirit, but they consistently overcome those failings as we grow in the Spirit. Those steps to maturity are 2 Peter 1:5-7
Thank you, I now see your rationale.

Jesus said a few things that may also help"

Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”​

That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Combined, these two passages show the dividing line between where sin ends and sinlessness begins as being between that point where one is dead to the flesh and becomes alive in the spirit, which is the time of being born again. The reason why so many do not understand is due to our consideration of time--which, with God (and therefore with salvation also) does not actually exist...as He is "the same yesterday, today, and forever." This is confirmed and was declared by Paul, saying, "I have been crucified with Christ (past tense). Time is an illusion of the flesh.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you, I now see your rationale.

Jesus said a few things that may also help"

Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”​

That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Combined, these two passages show the dividing line between where sin ends and sinlessness begins as being between that point where one is dead to the flesh and becomes alive in the spirit, which is the time of being born again. The reason why so many do not understand is due to our consideration of time--which, with God (and therefore with salvation also) does not actually exist...as He is "the same yesterday, today, and forever." This is confirmed and was declared by Paul, saying, "I have been crucified with Christ (past tense). Time is an illusion of the flesh.

Yes, in Matthew 26:41 even the disciples were still tempted by their flesh because Jesus had not yet died, in order for them to become Spirit filled and their flesh was dead to sin. As you see in Romans 7:25 about the law, the mind is comparable to their spirit, as compared to Galatians 5:17. I asked God once because of Spirit in Galatians 5:17 meant Holy Spirit. But I knew that contradicted being in the Spirit. So I asked God, and He simply answered these words, the "s" is small. Then the knowledge that of the spirit, soul and body of:

1 Thes. 5:23
23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The spirit is our mind (according to Romans 7:25), therefore the soul is the heart where the laws are written and together the mind and heart/spirit and soul are our nature that is the only part of us that is born again and freed from sin. They are what was crucified according to Romans 6:6-16, leaving the body to yet die. But the body does not sin on its own; it is just a shell like puppet that is driven and controlled by our nature. It still must die for it to become changed into immortality.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Thes. 5:23
23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Ironically, I read this today in my daily devotional reading. It struck me that "may be" found blameless is 1 of 2 options, with the other option may NOT be found blameless.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The spirit is our mind (according to Romans 7:25), therefore the soul is the heart where the laws are written and together the mind and heart/spirit and soul are our nature that is the only part of us that is born again and freed from sin. They are what was crucified according to Romans 6:6-16, leaving the body to yet die. But the body does not sin on its own; it is just a shell like puppet that is driven and controlled by our nature. It still must die for it to become changed into immortality.
There is no "yet" in "have been" (crucified with Christ).

However, there is a "yet" in "it is yet to be revealed." But that was 2,000 years ago....and these are the times when we were to be lead unto "all truth."

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are warned !
1 Timothy 1:1-7 warns us against such as this OP. That thou mightest charge some that they TEACH NO ......OTHER ...DOCTRINE !

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the difference in understanding and truth between us not practicing sin, or not committing sin? Note the context of this chapter and what type of sin John is talking about 1 John 3:4 sins of lawlessness. What does changing the word to practice allow us to do. Of course, cannot commit sin has no other meaning.
That has to be understood in relation to the prayer Jesus said to pray in Luke 11, and also per Apostle Paul's Epistles that tell us we all fall short of the glory of God, because of our flesh. And because Jesus said He can forgive all manner of sin, except the blasphemy against The Holy Spirit.

Once that is understood with 1 John 3, then it's about the idea of 'staying' in Christ, and continuing to repent when we do slip up and sin, and then make a change. Afterall, in 1 John 1, he covered there first the idea that if we say we have no sin, we make Jesus a liar. And if we confess... our sins, then He is faithful and just to forgive our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). So why... just jump to 1 John 3:4 and act like 1 John 1 never existed?

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no "yet" in "have been" (crucified with Christ).

However, there is a "yet" in "it is yet to be revealed." But that was 2,000 years ago....and these are the times when we were to be lead unto "all truth."
LOL, I put the yet in there because of all the people that believe because the body still needs to die, then we still have sin as a born again believer (like #396). NO! The nature is separate from the body. Romans 8:9-10

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That has to be understood in relation to the prayer Jesus said to pray in Luke 11, and also per Apostle Paul's Epistles that tell us we all fall short of the glory of God, because of our flesh. And because Jesus said He can forgive all manner of sin, except the blasphemy against The Holy Spirit.

Once that is understood with 1 John 3, then it's about the idea of 'staying' in Christ, and continuing to repent when we do slip up and sin, and then make a change. Afterall, in 1 John 1, he covered there first the idea that if we say we have no sin, we make Jesus a liar. And if we confess... our sins, then He is faithful and just to forgive our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). So why... just jump to 1 John 3:4 and act like 1 John 1 never existed?

I'm copying an earlier post of mine that you missed. I just got up and need COFFEEEEEE!

There are two types of sin. Sins unto death, and sins not unto death. Chapter 3 above is about sins unto death (verse 4). So we do not have any desire to break one of the moral commandments in the Ten Commandments. Therefore if someone calls themselves a Christian and still has a desire to steal, lie, murder, commit adultery, etc. then they may be talking the talk, but are NOT walking the walk and do no belong to Christ. That is why the word "say" is the key word to show that person is only talking the talk in 1 John 1:6,8,10. 1 John 1:7 is walking the walk. 1 John 1:9 is the same as Acts of the Apostles 2:38 needed to only be done once to receive the power of the Holy Spirit and be cleansed of all unrighteousness.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm copying an earlier post of mine that you missed. I just got up and need COFFEEEEEE!

And I say, study and understand the 1 John 1 Chapter before trying to interpret the 1 John 3 Chapter.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I say, study and understand the 1 John 1 Chapter before trying to interpret the 1 John 3 Chapter.
Read the whole book. The reason for John writing 1 John in the first place is 1 John 4:1-3. Those are the Gnostics, and they say exactly what 1 John 1:6, 8 and 10 says and are not Christians. 1 John 1, 2 and 3 explains why the Gnostics are wrong.

Because you like what the Gnostics are saying, you believe Jesus does not take away our sin out of our flesh completely, so you use 1 John 1:9 as a get out of jail card every time you practice sinning. NO, 1 John 1:9 and Acts 2:38 are to receive the Holy Spirit ONCE, and it is a life-changing event.