1 Verse Sermons

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Feb 7, 2013
What should I do? Should I stay or should I go?

My local church has a habit of delivering nice sermons with only 1 to 2 or rarely 3 bible references.

There doesnt seem to be much wrong as such. They will start by telling a story based on a theme (todays was hope). Then they will relate that story to one from the bible (without telling the actual bible story). About this time they will throw in a bible verse loosely related to the general theme. Then will continue to deliver their speech on the theme of the day before closing. They do pray at the beginning and end too.

When ever I attend I leave feeling unfulfilled.
There is rarely any sort of call to action, one that makes me think 'yeah I'm really going to.... This week'.
It's effect on me is 'lukewarm' if you will.

I go to bible studies at this church Monday nights with a small group, but I often church hop to other churches in the area because of the lack that I feel at this church and unfortunately many others in the area.

My childhood church is a very small warm and welcoming one that has spawned no less than 2 new congregations and is well on its way to a 3rd.

Do any of you have experience firing up churches, particularly ones like my large local church which is rich and has a long history of 'problems'.
I feel like any efforts I make would be more productive in a smaller, less problematic church.

Ok short poll.
How many bible references were provided in what you feel was a good sermon?

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I recently changed churches due to the "unfulfilled" feeling. But this came with serious prayer and guidance. And by a series of what I would consider God driven events, I began attending a new church and it has begun to fulfill that emptiness the prior church left in me. I know all to well that feeling where you want more from His word and want more of Him. Just pray pray pray. He will lead you were you need to be. Like StanJ said, its quality over quantity.

God Bless,

BA

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Born_Again said:
I recently changed churches due to the "unfulfilled" feeling. But this came with serious prayer and guidance. And by a series of what I would consider God driven events, I began attending a new church and it has begun to fulfill that emptiness the prior church left in me. I know all to well that feeling where you want more from His word and want more of Him. Just pray pray pray. He will lead you were you need to be. Like StanJ said, its quality over quantity.

God Bless,

BA
Good for you in being responsive to the Holy Spirit's leading. The enemy would guilt us by telling us to stick it out, when all that does is contribute to our spiritual demise.

Feb 7, 2013
:) As silly as it is, I just realized that is one thing I haven't been praying about.

I gather I have failed to convey the lack of both quality and quantity for that church.
Yes it has a beautiful new high quality church and event hall where dazzling visual effects, and music are delivered by accomplished musicians. The messages also are polished and rehearsed by the preachers. They are by most accounts of high quality, except where it counts.

At 1 verse a week, it would take 598 years to convey the entirety of the bible in their current manner of worship service.

That is to say the quality of their commission is lacking. At the rate the gospel is being disseminated here anyone would think they didn't want Jesus to return.

Call me crazy but I'd rather take my lessons from the bible over Star Wars. Yes, that's right an entire segment highlighted with Star Wars memed visual effects... And 1 bible verse (which the pastor nearly forgot to read).
Disgruntled much, me think.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
brrrilliantsteve said:
What should I do? Should I stay or should I go?

My local church has a habit of delivering nice sermons with only 1 to 2 or rarely 3 bible references.

There doesnt seem to be much wrong as such. They will start by telling a story based on a theme (todays was hope). Then they will relate that story to one from the bible (without telling the actual bible story). About this time they will throw in a bible verse loosely related to the general theme. Then will continue to deliver their speech on the theme of the day before closing. They do pray at the beginning and end too.

When ever I attend I leave feeling unfulfilled.
There is rarely any sort of call to action, one that makes me think 'yeah I'm really going to.... This week'.
It's effect on me is 'lukewarm' if you will.

I go to bible studies at this church Monday nights with a small group, but I often church hop to other churches in the area because of the lack that I feel at this church and unfortunately many others in the area.

My childhood church is a very small warm and welcoming one that has spawned no less than 2 new congregations and is well on its way to a 3rd.

Do any of you have experience firing up churches, particularly ones like my large local church which is rich and has a long history of 'problems'.
I feel like any efforts I make would be more productive in a smaller, less problematic church.

Ok short poll.
How many bible references were provided in what you feel was a good sermon?
Steve,

This is a typical problem with topical preaching. I've heard topical sermons that want to grind out a topic but it has more to do with the human mind, current events, and people's problems than with Scripture.

That's why I take seriously Paul's command to Timothy, 'Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching' (2 Tim 4:2 ESV).

I can preach the Word with a topical sermon. I did that recently when I preached on 'Is Sunday worship wrong for Christians? Do Protestants have the Mark of the Beast?' Perhaps I should upload that sermon to my homepage. However, I ruffled a few feathers in the church with this sermon because it did not agree with this Presbyterian Church's strong agreement with the Westminster Confession of Faith's statement on the Sabbath. Amazing what can happen when an alleged 'subordinate standard' (WCF) comes out on top with its authority.

However, when I preach, my primary approach is to 'preach the Word' by expository sermons. Here is a link to some of my expositions on 1 Peter. I'm only an occasional preacher at my local church (once every 2 months but may become once a month next month) but I lead a Life Group Bible study every third week. I'm preaching through James and have completed the first chapter (except for one section that is too non-Calvinistic for this Presbyterian Church - so I left it, to preach at another church.

Just some thoughts from a preacher, but mostly a pew warmer.

Oz

Feb 7, 2013
Thanks Ozspen. I looked through some of those sermons on 1 Peter you have, I think I would enjoy hearing you preach. And I would definitely like to hear the sermon you mentioned "Is Sunday worship wrong for Christians, Do Protestants have the mark of the beast?"
I have to admit though I am not familiar with Presbyterian/Calvinistic beliefs or the WCF. matter of fact I had not even heard of it, so I googled it (WCF).
I am very suspicious of any statement of faith with the words...
"Now by authority of parliament sitting at Westminster".
In the Title!!!