1st problem with O.S.A.S.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There are genuine Christians and there are "nominal" Christians.

And with your false doctrine you are not able to tell which are genuine and which are fake. Because both continue to sin in your doctrine.

But according to the word of truth we CAN discern who are the true Christians:

“Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.” (1 John 3:9-10)

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When OSAS folks say "saved," they mean "guaranteed salvation," don't they?
Is eternal life eternal or conditional?

Is eternal life based on how good we are. or based on the cross.

Is eternal life based on faith in ourselves. or faith in Christ?

We are either saved, as scripture says we are. Or we are trying to save ourselves. Which is what the Jews thought they had to do. And they crucified Christ for telling them they are wrong

Would you crucify Chist also?

Reactions: APAK

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Straw man argument. Do you claim to be without sin? (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23; 1 John 1:8-10)
how some can be deceived in thinking they never chose self over anything or anyone is beyond me.

If we could be sinless. Christian growth is a fabricarion. Because the moment one gets saved, he would pass from being dead. to being a mature adult who is like Christ in every way.

I have yet to meet anyone who is like this.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My problem with this is that Christians can (and do) continue to sin. Are none of those sins able to forfeit a true believer's salvation?

The answer I usually get to this question is that the sinner’s original acceptance of Christ wasn’t really genuine, as demonstrated by his subsequent behavior belying any genuine decision to live a life in imitation of Christ. This kind of “by their fruits ye shall know them” argument is, of course, a slippery slope. Once it is conceded that even the genuinely born-again can lapse into sin, we are stuck with figuring out how much sin is too much (or worse, how to deal with the sinner who will not confess the sin). So I am looking for a better answer.

I do not presume to know what you do or do not know.

My perspective. (Warning Long, scroll by if no interest to you)

I look at SIN, for what it WAS and what it IS.

What it WAS, and IS was/is Being directed by God, then failing to DO that directive.
Adam, case in point. Directed to eat of every tree, but didn’t. Directed to Not eat of one particular tree, but did.
...His Freewill choices, became called sin.

What it WAS, was directives oral, then written, called Laws.
The tribal, governing head, ie father of a group, receive the Law from God, told the people, the people agreed to DO, sometimes did DO, sometimes did NOT DO. The Law itself contained the Consequences...
DO as directed and having Agreed, expect this positive consequence.
DO NOT as directed after having Agreed, expect this negative consequence.
- Applicable to those called Hebrews, then called ISRAEL, then called 12 Tribes, then scattered, the primarily called Jews, now called ISRAELITES, or commonly Jews, (in reference to a Race of People), regardless of which specifics Tribe.
- IF Under the Law (ie subject to the Law), what applied to forefathers Agreement, also applied to descendants.
- SAME, what Godly promises were given applied to the forefathers and descendants.
- Under the Law, NOT OBEYING or DISOBEYING the law, was called A SIN. (It could be a sin against God, a sin against mankind, a trespass against mankind.)

That^ applied to those people specific, and to this day, still does, “IF” they elect to continue Under the Law. Some do, Some do not. Some maintain claim of their Jewish “race”, but are not particularly Practicers of their Jewish “religion”.

I am a Gentile, thus not applicable to me.
- The Jews First, then all Tribesmen were sent forth from Heaven, out of Gods Mouth, Gods Word, in a body God Prepared, in the Likeness as a Jewish man, that Jewish men could Hear...and SEE.
(For centuries their complaint was they could Hear, but that was not satisfactory, they wanted to SEE God.)
So, God promised He would sent a MESSIAH, an image in the flesh.
- You know the Order and Way... Jesus arrives as a humbled Jewish Servant of God...teaches, preaches, reveals mysteries, reveals knowledge that had been kept secret, etc.
- Jews are Divided, who believes Him, who doesn’t, some who feel their own Jewish teaching power position threatened and largely against Him.
- Gentiles are Hearing the buzz, lending their ear, divided, some believe, some do not.
- Jesus grooms students, (so to speak) 12 Jews, called Disciples, to carry on teaching to the Jews and all tribesmen. 1 Deflects turns against Jesus.
- One man of mixed heritage, citizen of Rome, (father a Roman) and (mother a Jew), this man raised Jewish, called Saul, becomes excellently taught in Jewish Law/Religion, becomes a Pharisee.
- he is against this Jesus and taunts the people that follow this Jesus.
- Jesus leaves Earth, after growing, maturing, preaching for 3 years.
* this one man Saul, has an encounter, with a Light shining down from Heaven, and A voice of the Lord, about his taunting Jesus’ followering.
* The Lord solicits this Roman/Jew/Pharisee, to Serve Jesus.
* Saul the Jew/ ie Paul the Roman, agrees.
* Paul goes to the Arabian wilderness for 3 years and is taught the gospel of Jesus Christ, via the Holy Spirit.
* Pauls’ Service to the Lord, IS to Primarily teach the Gentiles the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Meantime while Paul is in Arabia, the Jews, ie Disciples are traveling primarily to Jew established communities, primarily going to the Synagogs, to share the news of Jesus Christ. The congregation is ofcourse the Jew Members of the Synagogs, and inviting not only Gentile men, but Gentile women, Jewish women, into the meeting place, and establishing those electing to “follow” Jesus’ teaching, being called “the Church”.
- Separate buildings, begin being established as Churches...people are deciding where to go, when to go, and what they desire to hear.
* So it’s a mix, a joining together, a maintaining of separation as each chooses.
- Paul leaves Arabia, goes to where some Disciples are preaching.
- At this point (while Paul was in Arabia) the Disciples have as well chosen men to help them, learn, travel, or stay in particular areas/cities. It is a mix, Jews and Gentiles, “leaders” so to speak, conferring one with the other, trying to make sure they are all spreading the Word, according to Gods Word.
- Many “leaders” are skeptical when Paul arrives, and says he Believes in Christ Jesus, and has been Preaching Christ Jesus, along his way from Arabia to Antioch (Ie in Turkey).
A mutual friend vouches for Paul. Then the Holy Spirit by His Word informs the Disciples( teaching ie now called Apostles), that Paul WAS Chosen by Christ Jesus TO preach to the Gentiles.
- eh whispers, doubts, maybe’s among them.

TO the POINT...the NT is the oral, scribes hearing, scribes writing, recorders rewriting on script, written records kept preserved, taught from, copied, distributed, at times confiscated, stolen, burned, rewritten from memory, hidden, distributed, lost, discovered, found, more copying, more distributing...
* In the NT...AS both the Jews, desiring to Learn about Jesus’ Gospel, and AS Gentiles, desiring to Learn about Jesus’ Gospel ... were BOTH
Mixing...learning something new...wondering...questioning...doubting...
Denying...Believing...keeping a Divide...all pretty much hanging on what INDIVIDUALS were freely choosing to Hear, agree or disagree, mingle, or divide.

So keeping in mind...you are NOT represented as Every single person IN the NT. Some things apply to the Jews, some things apply to the Gentiles, some things apply to Believers, some things apply to Doubters, some things apply to Flat out Deniers, and a FEW things apply to INDIVIDUALS, who heartfully Believe......AND followed Gods express direction (Order and Way according to Gods Word)
TO Become MADE “now/then”, fully assuredly COMMITTED To the Lord God Almighty...
AND Receive “now/then”, the fulfillment of Gods Promise FOR heartfully Committing TO the Lord God Almighty.

Jews, Gentiles, umpteen divisions among the “teaching congregations”, umpteen divisions among the people, (which many PEOPLE have stamped themselves with A TITLE, which within that TITLE, there are many divisions.)
Applying a TITLE to oneself, merely gives an INDICATION of what one believes, but not the details.
* Such as Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism...GENERAL TITLES, but not the Details of the Divisions within the SECTS...and they ALL have Divisions within...and Divisions among the members of the same Sects.

A Person WHO, has DONE the WILL of the Father, TO MAKE a True Heartful Commitment, are expressly ONE group WHO are Divided from ALL others and ARE expressly IN Christ. That is a permanent adjoining.
* Others can continue joining, quitting, joining another, quitting, etc.
* The Permanency IS by, through, of The Works and The Keeping BY The POWER of God.
* By, through, of The Promise of God, that individual IS forgiven ALL sin and Trespasses...AND CAN NEVER AGAIN “commit” SIN..
* They CAN NEVER AGAIN Be or Stand AGAINST GOD.

* Now, CAN THEY “commit” Trespasses Against, between and among MEN? Absolutely. Forming a permanent holy relationship with God...
DOES NOT MEAN, (that man NOW KNOWS ALL THINGS).
* So sure, men can Trespass AGAINST men....unintentionally...and even intentionally.
* It is the unintentional trespassing, (accidents, say you will do something, then can’t, etc.) That we easily can apologize, correct.
* It is the intentional trespassing, we struggle with. When our mind wants to do this...and our heart says...eh...bad idea, grave risk, tsk, tsk...
Sometimes we allow our mind to overrule our Heart, and oops, suffer the consequences.
* It’s a life long practice, to train our mind to listen to our hearts.

My sin: was my flesh being naturally born in sin.
My sin: was corrupting my soul in my natural flesh.
My sin: was my natural spirit (ie my truth in my heart), having unbelief in God.

My SIN was expressly AGAINST God.
God expressly offered me a WAY, according to His Will, His Order, His Way, to receive His forgiveness, sanctification, justification, covering, promises, truth, life and by His POWER, Made wholly Whole and holy and WITH Him forever....and I heartfully Accepted His Offering.

Glory to God,
Taken

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My problem with this is that Christians can (and do) continue to sin. Are none of those sins able to forfeit a true believer's salvation?

The answer I usually get to this question is that the sinner’s original acceptance of Christ wasn’t really genuine, as demonstrated by his subsequent behavior belying any genuine decision to live a life in imitation of Christ. This kind of “by their fruits ye shall know them” argument is, of course, a slippery slope. Once it is conceded that even the genuinely born-again can lapse into sin, we are stuck with figuring out how much sin is too much (or worse, how to deal with the sinner who will not confess the sin). So I am looking for a better answer.
You need to ask yourself better questions.

What is Gods standard (perfection)

Who can keep it (no one)

So who is good enough to earn salvation? (no one)

If you can not earn it. You can't lose it. its all of grace

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can we really know if we're OSAS?
Surely only God knows?
Personally I like to think I'm saved but I just don't know.
Even Paul never assumed he was making the grade-
"I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time" (1 Cor 4:3)

But as Christians, we've certainly got a much better chance than Jesus-rejecters and atheists, because their chance is absolutely zero..:)
1 John 5:13
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you find a verse in the Bible that unequivocally says a really "saved" person really "lost their salvation?" I can't find that verse.

How unequivocal does it have to be? Matt. 24:13 quotes Jesus as saying that “he who endures to the end will be saved.” Luke 8:13 speaks of those who believe for a while, but eventually fall away. Rom. 11:22 mentions continuing in God's goodness or else being cut off. 1 Tim. 4:1 admonishes that some will depart from the faith. 2 Pet. 2:20–21 speaks to a similar thing. Heb. 10:26–29 warns of the punishment for those who fall away after having been sanctified by the blood of the covenant. 2 John 1:8-9 mentions the possibility of losing the things worked for by not abiding in the doctrine of Christ. There is at least a suggestion here of something contrary to O.S.A.S.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How unequivocal does it have to be?...There is at least a suggestion here of something contrary to O.S.A.S.
Depends On The Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided! i.e.:

"Prophecy/Law" {earthly} Christ And The TWELVE, gospel of the kingdom,
ISRAEL prominent! {past/future} "faith PLUS works" = endure to
the END "to be saved" = NO OSAS!!!

Rightly Divided (2 Timothy 2:15) From “Things That Differ” (online)

"Mystery/GRACE!" {Heavenly!} Gospel Of GRACE, Jew And Gentile "Equal!"
{Current, Today!} for The Body Of CHRIST! "GRACE Through faith" Apart
From ALL works, For [YES OSAS!] God's ETERNAL Assurance Of HIS Eternal
Salvation, Scripturally Confirmed By:

God's OPERATION On All HIS New-born babes In CHRIST
-------------------------------
Bible Answer To Confusing church Bewilderment!

GRACE And Peace...

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

And with your false doctrine you are not able to tell which are genuine and which are fake. Because both continue to sin in your doctrine.

“Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.” (1 John 3:9-10)
I would say that once Saved one does Sin ? but is not under the power of Sin ? Big difference !
If ones says they do not Sin they lie !

I have never heard of a Saint that said they do not lie ? they are aware of such things, but when they do not do the right thing say, they do repent directly and openly of such. Not that the act of any lie or sin is a grave Sin ?

I have seen idiot fools who claim a radical position on Sin ? So if I were to say as above or a Saved one or Saint pointing out a Sin of their own is worthy of one who is on track with such a handle on the situation ? but the idiot will run about ranting that the Sin committed is grave Sins ? but they are not at all !
Now the idiot will claim that all Sin is the same ! but that is not true at all ? because the idiot is just like a mongrel dog in fact.
So we see that one should strive to enter through the narrow gate and then keep to the path ? now no one will keep to the path directly but that is the aim ? but you have people mongrels who have no regard to keeping to the path. and that's why they love the once Saved regardless line promoted ? as from that point on they can do what ever they like regardless and kill whoever even ! this is what people have demanded to me that they are Saved regardless, it was that one point in time that they were classified Saved by another ? Some Dude ! Some dude claimed they Saved ? what a load of BS ! Only a worldly religious would swallow such nonsense.
The Holy Spirit is something that abides in you and you in it, for the rest of your life ! you are united ? you carry the Yoke as expressed in the Bible and one responds to the pricks their of ? Old mate tho does not respond to such pricks as anything, as he claims to be a free man of himself, a Devil ! like a Freemason doing the will of mans works.

Ok what is my latest Sin ? well I have not seen my mother for a wile ? but I am set to see her tomorrow.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say that once Saved one does Sin ? but is not under the power of Sin ? Big difference !
If ones says they do not Sin they lie !

I do not Sin and I am telling the Truth.

Ok what is my latest Sin ? well I have not seen my mother for a wile ? but I am set to see her tomorrow.

How is that a sin?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you claim to be with sin? 1 John 3:8
1 John 3:8 - the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. 9 No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. (NASB)

This does not support sinless perfection.

1 John 3:9 Commentary - Robertson's Word Pictures in the New Testament

Doeth no sin
(αμαρτιαν ου ποιε). Linear present active indicative as in verse 4 like αμαρτανε in verse 8. The child of God does not have the habit of sin.

His seed (σπερμα αυτου). God's seed, "the divine principle of life" (Vincent). Cf. Joh 1.

And he cannot sin (κα ου δυνατα αμαρτανειν). This is a wrong translation, for this English naturally means "and he cannot commit sin" as if it were κα ου δυνατα αμαρτειν or αμαρτησα (second aorist or first aorist active infinitive). The present active infinitive αμαρτανειν can only mean "and he cannot go on sinning," as is true of αμαρτανε in verse 8 and αμαρτανων in verse 6. For the aorist subjunctive to commit a sin see αμαρτητε and αμαρτη in 2:1. A great deal of false theology has grown out of a misunderstanding of the tense of αμαρτανειν here. Paul has precisely John's idea in Ro 6:1 επιμενωμεν τη αμαρτια (shall we continue in sin, present active linear subjunctive) in contrast with αμαρτησωμεν in Ro 6:15 (shall we commit a sin, first aorist active subjunctive).

1 John 3:9 Commentary - Robertson's Word Pictures in the New Testament

Christ did not take your sins away? John 1:29
Yes He did (Acts 10:43; Romans 3:24-26; Ephesians 1:8; Revelation 1:5) and it wasn't because I am sinless, without fault or defect, flawless, 100% of the time, but because He is and He died for my sins according to the scriptures, was buried, and rose again the third day according to the scriptures. (2 Corinthians 5:21; 1 John 3:5; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4)

Did you add more sins after believing in Christ? Hebrews 10:26
Add more sins? Are you asking me if I remained sinless, without fault or defect, flawless, 100% of the time after believing in Christ and receiving eternal life? If I answered yes to that then I would be suffering from a terminal case of self righteousness, just like you. 1 John 1:8 - If we say that we have no sin, (present tense) we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, (past tense) we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

In regards to Hebrews 10:26, to "sin willfully" in the Greek carries the idea of deliberate intention that is habitual, which stems from rejecting Christ deliberately. This is continuous action, a matter of practice. Now we don't walk along our daily life and "accidentally" fall into a pit called sin. We exercise our will but, the use of the participle clearly shows a ongoing, willful, continuous action. The unrighteous practice sin (1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Galatians 5:19-21); not the righteous, who are born of God (1 Corinthians 6:11; 1 John 3:9).

*So now I will ask you: Do you claim to be sinless, without fault or defect, flawless, absolutely perfect, 100% of the time exactly like Jesus Christ?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So you do claim to have no sin (present tense) are deceiving yourself and the truth is not in you. (1 John 1:8) This means you are suffering from a terminal case of self righteousness. Not a good position to be in!

True Christians trust in Jesus Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of their salvation and they do not self righteously claim to have no sin.

Back to sinless perfection again from your misunderstanding of 1 John 3:9-10. Is the KJV tripping you up?

1 John 3:9 - No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. 10 By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother. *Still does not support sinless perfection.*

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you do claim to have no sin (present tense) are deceiving yourself and the truth is not in you. (1 John 1:8)

Christ does (present tense) take away your sins when you first believed.

What you do afterwards is on you:

“For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.” (2 Peter 2:20)

they do not self righteously claim to have no sin.

So you self-unrighteously claim to have sin?

Is the KJV tripping you up?

Is the new age Bible version philosophies tripping you up?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How unequivocal does it have to be? Matt. 24:13 quotes Jesus as saying that “he who endures to the end will be saved.”
'Descriptive' of genuine believers.

Luke 8:13 speaks of those who believe for a while, but eventually fall away.
Even though this shallow ground hearer in Luke 8:13 is said to have "believed," yet he is never said to have been "saved." How do we know that the shallow ground hearer was never actually "saved"? Allow me to explain. First, his heart condition is contrasted with that of the "good ground" hearer in the 4th soil, who's heart was "good" and "honest." Thus, his heart was not "good," being like the soil to which it corresponds, being "shallow" or "rocky," lacking sufficient depth. Such soil represents a sinner not properly prepared in heart. People who "believe" and "rejoice" at the preaching of the gospel without a prepared heart, and without a good and honest heart, and without having "root" in themselves, do not experience real salvation.

IN CONTRAST TO - Mark 4:8 - But other seed fell on good ground and yielded a crop that sprang up, increased and produced: some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some a hundred. Luke 8:15 says, But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience. So the rocky soil represents a person not properly prepared in heart so the seed planted ends up with a lack of "root" (lack of being firmly planted, or established) and good soil represents a person properly prepared in heart who having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keeps it and bears fruit with patience.

*Unlike saving belief, temporary, shallow belief is not rooted in a regenerate heart. How can no depth of earth, no root, no moisture, no fruit, represent saving belief? Also the same Greek word for believe "pisteuo" is used in James 2:19, in which we read that the demons believe"mental assent" that "there is one God," but they are not saved.

John has portrayed people who "believe" (at least to some extent) but are clearly not saved. There is a stage in the progress of belief in Jesus that "falls short of firmly rooted and established belief resulting in salvation." As we see in John 2:23-25, in which their belief was superficial in nature and Jesus would not entrust/commit Himself to them.

Also, in John 8:31-59, where the Jews who were said to have "believed in him" turn out to be slaves to sin, indifferent to the words of Jesus’, children of the devil, liars, accused Jesus of having a demon and were guilty of setting out to stone and kill the one they have professed to believe in. We can see at best, these Jews believed in Him (based on their own misconceptions and expectations) of Jesus, yet upon gaining further knowledge about Jesus through His words, we see they did not truly "believe unto salvation" and become children of God (John 1:12; 3:18) but were instead children of the devil.

Rom. 11:22 mentions continuing in God's goodness or else being cut off.
The Jews were in the olive tree to begin with because they were the "natural branches" and not because they were all saved. Because of their unbelief and hard hearts God removed His gracious hand from them as a people overall and broke them off from His goodness (but only for a time after which they will be restored - Romans 11:24-26). We Gentiles have now been grafted into God's goodness and are the recipients of His blessings. Paul's warning is that we should not become arrogant because we might lose the goodness and blessings of God just like the Jews lost the goodness and blessings of God.

Professing Christians who are Gentiles are corporately in outward covenant with Christ so, it would appear that Romans 11 is speaking about the question of collective ecclesiology and not individual soteriology. I see the warning to this collective body, which is corporately joined to Christ and is in a covenant relationship, but how could this mean that every individual in it is in saving union with Christ? Hence the "cut off." Union with Christ applies to the elect, and only for the elect are, "the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable" (verse 29). But since non-elect covenant members are mixed in, Christ clearly appears to have non-elect branches, like Judas Iscariot (John 15:1-8) and while they may be joined outwardly in covenant with Christ, since they have professed faith in Jesus, the faith of some of them is spurious because they were never truly saved to begin with, even though they were among genuine believers, just as we see in (1 John 2:19).

1 Tim. 4:1 admonishes that some will depart from the faith.
1 Timothy 4:1 - Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. That sounds familiar. The words "the faith" (Gr. tês pisteôs) in this context means the apostolic faith, the New Testament apostolic body of doctrines. Some who are in a state of professing adherence to the apostolic faith, nevertheless will in both doctrine and practice depart from it, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons.

Some "nominal" Christians will abandon the Christian faith, the New Testament apostolic body of doctrines for cults or false religions. That does not prove they were previously born again. In 1 John 2:19, we read - They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us. I believe the beginning of such a major departing from the apostolic faith was evidenced as the Roman Catholic church rose up in the early 4th century. The Roman Catholic church forbids it's clergy to marry.

2 Pet. 2:20–21 speaks to a similar thing.
Those who are truly born of God have received a new nature, a divine nature. They have been transformed from pigs and dogs into sheep. The change is more than just cosmetic, as in 2 Peter 2:20. *These cleaned up on the outside dogs and pigs were never sheep.

Compare 2 Peter 1:4 - "partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption - Strongs #5356 that is in the world through lust with 2 Peter 2:20 - with they escaped the pollutions - Strongs #3356 (different Greek word) of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, yet they are again entangled therein, and overcome. Notice that 2 Peter 2:20 did not mention them being "partakers of the divine nature."

Corruption (Strongs #5356) (to shrivel or wither, spoil , ruin , deprave, corrupt , defile, to destroy by means of corrupting, to spoil as does milk). Corruption - describes decomposition or rotting of an organism and the accompanying stench. The utter depravity of the fallen flesh and the resultant moral decomposition of the world opposed to God is driven by it sinful lusts or evil desires. Internal corruption.

Pollutions/Defilements (Strongs #3393) ("pollutions", "filthy things", "contaminations", "world's filth") describes the state of being tainted or stained by evil and refers to impurity, impure, tainted, defilement, foulness or pollution. Pollutions/Defilement refers to what is on the outside (2 Peter 2:20). But genuine believers have escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust (2 Peter 1:4).

Corruption is deeper than pollutions/defilements on the outside: it is decay on the inside.

Having the knowledge of Jesus Christ does not save a person if there is no heart submission to that knowledge. The latter end is worse than the beginning for these men because rejecting this knowledge will make them more accountable at the judgment. Like Judas Iscariot.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
CONTINUED...

Heb. 10:26–29 warns of the punishment for those who fall away after having been sanctified by the blood of the covenant.
In regards to Hebrews 10:26, to "sin willfully" in the Greek carries the idea of deliberate intention that is habitual, which stems from rejecting Christ deliberately. This is continuous action, a matter of practice. Now we don't walk along our daily life and "accidentally" fall into a pit called sin. We exercise our will but, the use of the participle clearly shows a ongoing, willful, habitual action. The unrighteous practice sin (1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Galatians 5:19-21); not the righteous, who are born of God. (1 Corinthians 6:11; 1 John 3:9)

If the word 'sanctified' in Hebrews 10:29 is used to describe saved people who lost their salvation as eternal IN-securists teach, then we have a contradiction because the writer of Hebrews in verse 10 said "sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all" (Hebrews 10:10) and in verse 14, we read, "perfected for all time those who are sanctified." (Hebrews 10:14) So in Hebrews 10:10, we clearly read ..WE have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. In Hebrews 10:14, we read - For by one offering He has perfected for all time THOSE who are sanctified. To go from sanctified back to un-sanctified would be in contradiction here.

*NOWHERE in the context does it specifically say the person who "trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant" was "saved" and/or "lost their salvation." The reference to "the blood of the covenant that sanctified him" in verse 29 "on the surface" appears to be referring to a Christian, but this overlooks the fact that the word translated "sanctified" (which is the verb form of the adjective "holy") which means "set apart," and doesn't necessarily refer to salvation.

Strong's Concordance
hagiazó: to make holy, consecrate, sanctify
Original Word: ἁγιάζω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: hagiazó
Phonetic Spelling: (hag-ee-ad'-zo)
Definition: to make holy, consecrate, sanctify
Usage: I make holy, treat as holy, set apart as holy, sanctify, hallow, purify.

*In 1 Corinthians 7:14, Paul uses it to specifically refer to non-Christians who are "sanctified" or "set apart" by their believing spouse (and by this Paul does not mean that they are saved). A non-Christian can be "set apart" from other non-Christians without experiencing salvation as Paul explained. So the word "sanctified" means to be "set apart." If the word "sanctified" simply meant saved, then you would have to say that the seventh day was saved (Genesis 2:3), the tabernacle was saved (Exodus 29:43), Moses saved the people after coming down off the mountain (Exodus 19:14), the priests and the Levites saved themselves (1 Chronicles 15:14), the Father saved the Son (John 10:36), the Son saved Himself (John 17:19) and many other things that do not line up with scripture.

In verse 39, the writer of Hebrews sets up the CONTRAST that makes it clear to me that he was referring to make believers/nominal Christians, not saved people: But WE are not of those who draw back to perdition, but OF THOSE who believe to the saving of the soul. Those who draw back to perdition do not believe to the saving of the soul and those who believe to the saving of the soul do not draw back to perdition.

So after considering the CONTEXT, it seems most likely that "he was sanctified" should be understood in the sense of someone who had been "set apart" or identified as a professing believer in the Christian community of Hebrews, but later renounces his identification with other believers, by rejecting the "knowledge of the truth" that he had received, and trampling under foot the work and the person of Christ himself. This gives evidence that his identification with the Hebrew Christian community was only superficial and that he was not a genuine believer.

2 John 1:8-9 mentions the possibility of losing the things worked for by not abiding in the doctrine of Christ. There is at least a suggestion here of something contrary to O.S.A.S.
Is salvation something that we work for and earn? (Ephesians 2:8,9) Verse 8 says receive a "full reward." That sounds familiar. See 1 Corinthians 3:11-15. 2 John 1:9 - Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. Here we see the demonstrative evidence of "does not have God" (does not abide, like Judas Iscariot) and has both the Father and the Son (abides in the teaching of Christ).

Nice try, but these verses do not prove 'unequivocally' prove that a really 'saved' person really 'lost their salvation.'

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ does (present tense) take away your sins when you first believed.

What you do afterwards is on you:

“For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.” (2 Peter 2:20)

So you self-unrighteously claim to have sin?

Is the new age Bible version philosophies tripping you up?
It's one thing to say that Christ takes away our sins (and He does take away the sins of born again believers) but that does not mean that we live a sinless, without fault or defect, flawless, absolute perfect life 100% of the time (exactly as Jesus lived) from that point forward. You truly are suffering from a terminal case of self righteousness. (1 John 1:8-10) See post #54 for 2 Peter 2:20. I see that you remain tripped up by KJV only legalism. :(

Reactions: Johann

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that does not mean that we live a sinless, without fault or defect, flawless, absolute perfect life 100% of the time (exactly as Jesus lived)

“He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.” (1 John 2:6)

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.” (John 14:12)

@mailmandan get your doctrine and discipline from an uncorrupted source. You have it in the KJV! Just don’t let the leaven that so easily besets us enter in.

Be blessed!

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Faith in Christ sets us on that path, but we must also journey along that path in
righteousness. And here, the Law retains some merit. Leaving ritual cleanliness,
sacrifices and feast observances aside, the Law and the Prophets contain many precepts
which are guideposts to the moral life, and contain commandments for avoidance of sin
and evil. If we ignore these precepts we do so at our peril, for God’s justice will be
served, and our faith will not save us if we do not put it into practice by leading the moral
life.”

“Yet Paul stresses faith, and not works, as the exclusive means to justification
before God.”

“And so he should, Mark; but take care that you do not confuse justification with
sanctification. Justification—which is to say, forgiveness of our sins and consequent
righteousness before God—is brought about by faith in the sacrifice of our Savior Jesus
Christ; it is this which satisfies the demands of God’s justice in the face of our sins and
reconciles us to God. Sanctification—which is to say, the active process of the believer’s
chosen life of holiness—is brought about by choosing to behave morally, to avoid sin and
to demonstrate through our actions a love of God and our neighbor. Both are a matter of
God’s grace. And both are necessary to salvation. Those who seek salvation by the
sincere performance of good works alone are doomed to failure, if they have not been
first justified by faith. Likewise, those who rely solely on their justification through faith
for their salvation, but thereafter do not live according to the Spirit they have received,
also are doomed to failure.”

“But does not one flow naturally from the other?” I asked. “Is not justification
through faith in Christ a guarantee of sanctification as well?”

“You ask two different questions, Mark! Yes, the same faith which justifies may
also lead one to be sanctified, by implanting in the believer the will to act in accordance
with God’s will. But that is not a necessary consequence. Free choice remains to be
exercised. A person chooses to believe, and also chooses to behave—and one can make
the first choice yet not make the second in harmony with the first.”

“But if a man truly believes something, surely he will act in accordance with that
belief.” Now it was I who was beginning to sound like Timothy. “If one behaves other
than in accordance with one’s professed belief, does that not betray the belief as not truly
held to begin with?”

“You confuse faith with faithfulness, Mark. We do not cast off human flaws and
weaknesses simply by believing in the saving gospel of Jesus of Nazareth. By that faith
the slate is instantly wiped clean—and handed back to us. How we will write on it after
that is up to each of us, with all our flaws and frailties, but also with the saving grace of
God to help us overcome them.”

“You are saying, then, that one’s faith alone does not necessarily ensure ultimate
salvation,” I replied. “I am not sure Paul would agree.”

“Oh? Did his letter not sternly warn the Galatians that fornication, licentiousness,
idolatry, enmity, anger, selfishness, envy and the like must be avoided by all those who
would inherit the kingdom of God? Yet he was writing to believers, to those who had
already been justified by their faith! What point would there have been to such warnings
if the sanctification of the believers were automatic? No, Mark. Paul understands well
that faith is neither a license to sin, nor a guarantee that sin will be avoided—and a sinful
life will bring God’s harsh judgment on the sinner, believer and nonbeliever alike.”

“Yet Paul also proclaims that having been justified and reconciled to God by our
Lord’s death, much more so shall we be saved by his life.”

“And so we shall—if we allow his life to guide our own. You must recognize that
Paul is a skilled rhetorician, who sometimes chooses to express himself in the language
of certainty so as to encourage his audience. But take it from a poor fisherman: we must
work out our own salvation by living in accordance with God’s will, avoiding
temptations, confessing and repenting of our sins when we fall. If we have the will to do
so, then by the saving grace of God we shall have the power also.”

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.” (1 John 2:6)

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.” (John 14:12)

@mailmandan get your doctrine and discipline from an uncorrupted source. You have it in the KJV! Just don’t let the leaven that so easily besets us enter in.

Be blessed!
To walk as Jesus walked is what we ought to do/strive to do (Jesus walked in love) yet this still does not support sinless perfection of the flesh. Are you implying the greater works in John 14:12 is sinless perfection? o_O Do you attend a church that teaches we can reach entire sanctification in our lifetime while still on earth in the flesh? From what I have observed, the KJV only crowd sounds cultish and the end result of that movement seems to promote self righteousness. :(

Reactions: Johann

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
CONTINUED...

In regards to Hebrews 10:26, to "sin willfully" in the Greek carries the idea of deliberate intention that is habitual, which stems from rejecting Christ deliberately. This is continuous action, a matter of practice. Now we don't walk along our daily life and "accidentally" fall into a pit called sin. We exercise our will but, the use of the participle clearly shows a ongoing, willful, habitual action. The unrighteous practice sin (1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Galatians 5:19-21); not the righteous, who are born of God. (1 Corinthians 6:11; 1 John 3:9)

If the word 'sanctified' in Hebrews 10:29 is used to describe saved people who lost their salvation as eternal IN-securists teach, then we have a contradiction because the writer of Hebrews in verse 10 said "sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all" (Hebrews 10:10) and in verse 14, we read, "perfected for all time those who are sanctified." (Hebrews 10:14) So in Hebrews 10:10, we clearly read ..WE have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. In Hebrews 10:14, we read - For by one offering He has perfected for all time THOSE who are sanctified. To go from sanctified back to un-sanctified would be in contradiction here.

*NOWHERE in the context does it specifically say the person who "trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant" was "saved" and/or "lost their salvation." The reference to "the blood of the covenant that sanctified him" in verse 29 "on the surface" appears to be referring to a Christian, but this overlooks the fact that the word translated "sanctified" (which is the verb form of the adjective "holy") which means "set apart," and doesn't necessarily refer to salvation.

Strong's Concordance
hagiazó: to make holy, consecrate, sanctify
Original Word: ἁγιάζω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: hagiazó
Phonetic Spelling: (hag-ee-ad'-zo)
Definition: to make holy, consecrate, sanctify
Usage: I make holy, treat as holy, set apart as holy, sanctify, hallow, purify.

*In 1 Corinthians 7:14, Paul uses it to specifically refer to non-Christians who are "sanctified" or "set apart" by their believing spouse (and by this Paul does not mean that they are saved). A non-Christian can be "set apart" from other non-Christians without experiencing salvation as Paul explained. So the word "sanctified" means to be "set apart." If the word "sanctified" simply meant saved, then you would have to say that the seventh day was saved (Genesis 2:3), the tabernacle was saved (Exodus 29:43), Moses saved the people after coming down off the mountain (Exodus 19:14), the priests and the Levites saved themselves (1 Chronicles 15:14), the Father saved the Son (John 10:36), the Son saved Himself (John 17:19) and many other things that do not line up with scripture.

In verse 39, the writer of Hebrews sets up the CONTRAST that makes it clear to me that he was referring to make believers/nominal Christians, not saved people: But WE are not of those who draw back to perdition, but OF THOSE who believe to the saving of the soul. Those who draw back to perdition do not believe to the saving of the soul and those who believe to the saving of the soul do not draw back to perdition.

So after considering the CONTEXT, it seems most likely that "he was sanctified" should be understood in the sense of someone who had been "set apart" or identified as a professing believer in the Christian community of Hebrews, but later renounces his identification with other believers, by rejecting the "knowledge of the truth" that he had received, and trampling under foot the work and the person of Christ himself. This gives evidence that his identification with the Hebrew Christian community was only superficial and that he was not a genuine believer.

Is salvation something that we work for and earn? (Ephesians 2:8,9) Verse 8 says receive a "full reward." That sounds familiar. See 1 Corinthians 3:11-15. 2 John 1:9 - Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. Here we see the demonstrative evidence of "does not have God" (does not abide, like Judas Iscariot) and has both the Father and the Son (abides in the teaching of Christ).

Nice try, but these verses do not prove 'unequivocally' prove that a really 'saved' person really 'lost their salvation.'
Excellent rebuttal @mailmandan
J.