5 of the more obvious passages about losing salvation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
[SIZE=10pt]Anyone who takes the mark of the beast will be thrown into the lake of fire[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]Revelation 14:9-11[/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt] … “If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]on his forehead or on his hand, he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Anyone who blasphemes the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]Mark 3:28-29[/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt] … “Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]and whatever blasphemies they may utter;[/SIZE] [SIZE=11.5pt]but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]The parallel passage is Matthew 12:31-32.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]IMO, this blasphemy refers to saying a miracle was not performed by the Holy Spirit, but by a demon.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Anyone who refuses to forgive someone their trespasses will not be forgiven[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]Matthew 6:14-15[/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt] … “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]If Father God does NOT forgive you of your trespasses, do you think He will accept you into heaven?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Anyone who practices habitual unrepented-of sin will gain eternal death[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]Romans 6:16-19[/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt] … "Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether (slaves) of sin leading to (eternal) death, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]or (slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness?[/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt] ... so now present your members as [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]slaves of righteousness for holiness." [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]“You can choose sin (with death) or else obedience (with acquittal).” (6:16, The Living Bible)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]“so now you must let yourself be slaves to all that is right and holy.” (6:19, The Living Bible)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Anyone who practices habitual unrepented-of sin will gain eternal death[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]1 Corinthians 6:9-10[/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt][/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]“Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]kingdom of God (i.e. heaven)? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God (i.e. heaven).[/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]Other very similar sin-list passages are: Galatians 5:19-21, Ephesians 5:5-6, Colossians 3:5-6.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]Combine Mark 9:47 and Matthew 25:45-46, and you will see that …[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]• Sin causes one to be unrighteous, and the unrighteous are cast into hell.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]• Entering/inheriting the kingdom of God is the same as gaining eternal life.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]IMO, these warning passages simply confirm what Jesus warned about:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]“He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]for eternal life.” (John 12:25). [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]Parallel passages are: Matt 16:25-26, Mark 8:35-37.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]IMO, those who hate their lives … also hate their sins and do their best to be obedient [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]and to not sin! These are the true believers who are co-operating with God the Holy Spirit [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt](and who will be overcomers) as they are being progressively sanctified … after having [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]first been sanctified (set apart) positionally to hopefully partake of the Divine nature.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]Yes, man’s free-will is involved … man’s co-operation is necessary (which is not works).[/SIZE]

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Eternal life is based on belief, not works.

John 3:14-16 NIV Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15 that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 5:24 NIV “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

John 6:40 NIV For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

John 6:47 NIV Very truly I tell you, the one who believes has eternal life.

John 6:54 NIV Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.

John 10:25-30 NIV Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, 26but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30I and the Father are one.”

Acts 13:46-48 NIV Then Paul and Barnabas answered them boldly: "We had to speak the word of God to you first. Since you reject it and do not consider yourselves worthy of eternal life, we now turn to the Gentiles. 47 For this is what the Lord has commanded us: " 'I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.' " 48 When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.

Rom 6:22-23 NIV But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Eph 1:13-14 NIV And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

1 Tim 1:15-16 NIV Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 16But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.

Tit 1:1-3 NIV Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ to further the faith of God’s elect and their knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness— 2in the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time, 3and which now at his appointed season he has brought to light through the preaching entrusted to me by the command of God our Savior,

Heb 9:12 NIV He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, having obtained eternal redemption.

1 John 5:9-14 NIV We accept human testimony, but God’s testimony is greater because it is the testimony of God, which he has given about his Son. 10Whoever believes in the Son of God accepts this testimony. Whoever does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because they have not believed the testimony God has given about his Son. 11And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. 14This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Zachary said:
[SIZE=10pt]Anyone (...message truncated...)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]Yes, man’s free-will is involved … man’s co-operation is necessary (which is not works).[/SIZE]
If you mean "ergon nomou" which means "works of the law" as Paul most commonly uses the term "works", you are correct.
If you mean "ergois agathois", which means "good works" or works of love, as James uses the term "works", then you are incorrect. Thus when using the term "works", keep in mind that Paul's "works" and James "works" are entirely different words with different meanings.

ATP said:
John 6:47 NIV Very truly I tell you, the one who believes has eternal life.
John 47 Very truly I tell you, the one who believes has eternal life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, yet they died.50 But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which anyone may eat and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”
52 Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”
Were they arguing because they didn't understand the greatest teacher the world has ever seen, or because they refused to believe?
ATP said:
Eternal life is based on belief, not works.
Faith Justifies Initially, but Works Perfect and Complete Justification
You cannot divorce love (another word for works) from faith. The two are inseparable.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
kepha31 said:
Faith Justifies Initially, but Works Perfect and Complete Justification
You cannot divorce love (another word for works) from faith. The two are inseparable.
Hi kepha. Justification only comes once, sanctification is the on-going process. Once we believe we have eternal life John 3:14-16 NIV, John 5:24 NIV, John 6:40 NIV, John 6:47 NIV, John 6:54 NIV, John 10:25-30 NIV, Acts 13:46-48 NIV, Rom 6:22-23 NIV, Eph 1:13-14 NIV, 1 Tim 1:15-16 NIV, Tit 1:1-3 NIV, Heb 9:12 NIV, 1 John 5:9-14 NIV.

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
kepha31 said:
If you mean "ergon nomou" which means "works of the law" as Paul most commonly uses the term "works", you are correct.
If you mean "ergois agathois", which means "good works" or works of love, as James uses the term "works", then you are incorrect. Thus when using the term "works", keep in mind that Paul's "works" and James "works" are entirely different words with different meanings.
No, I'm talking about the good works (deeds) that Jesus is talking about.
What do you think about Matthew 25:45-46 ... righteous vs. unrighteous.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Zachary said:
No, I'm talking about the good works (deeds) that Jesus is talking about.
What do you think about Matthew 25:45-46 ... righteous vs. unrighteous.
We are only righteous through the blood of Jesus and not of our own works..Isa 64:6 NIV, Matt 6:1 NIV, Matt 23:25-26 NIV, Matt 23:27-28 NIV, Luke 18:19 NIV, John 6:28-29 NIV, Rom 3:9-20 NIV, Rom 3:21-31 NIV, Rom 4:3-11 NIV, Rom 4:22-24 NIV, Rom 5:17-21 NIV, Rom 6:16-20 NIV, Rom 8:9-11 NIV, Rom 9:30-33 NIV, Rom 10:3-4 NIV, Rom 11:5-7 NIV, 1 Cor 1:30 NIV, 1 Cor 3:13-15 NIV, 1 Cor 8:1 NIV, 1 Cor 15:10-11 NIV, 2 Cor 1:9 NIV, 2 Cor 3:5 NIV, 2 Cor 5:15 NIV, Gal 1:6-7 NIV, Gal 2:21 NIV, Gal 3:1-5 NIV, Gal 3:6-7 NIV, Gal 4:9 NIV, Eph 2:7-9 NIV, Phil 1:9-11 NIV, Phil 2:12-13 NIV, Phil 3:8-11 NIV, 1 Tim 4:10 NIV, 2 Tim 1:9 NIV, Tit 3:5 NIV, Rev 15:4 NIV

Matt 25:46 NIV “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
We are born of imperishable seed, not perishable,

1 Cor 15:54-57 NIV When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.” 55“Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?” 56The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Pet 1:23 NIV For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

1 John 3:9 NIV No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.

and the truth is in us forever..

Eph 1:13-14 NIV And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

2 John 1:2 NIV because of the truth, which lives in us and will be with us forever:

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ATP said:
1 John 3:9 NIV
No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them;
they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.
Your verse is speaking of those who have been truly born of God unto ultimate salvation.
They indeed will NOT live a life of habitual unrepented-of sin.
Those who do continue to commit sins ...
we just don't know if they will repent and finally make it in the end.
Those who have brainwashed into OSAS are in danger of being deaf to
the urgings of the precious Holy Spirit to forsake their sins.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zachary,

I've heard you mention a few times of "habitual un-repented sins". If you are speaking of the law if God and not the law of Moses, I get your point and agree. But if you are speaking of the law of Moses (eating shrimp, catfish and pork; wearing polyester; growing cucumbers and tomatoes next to each other; women going to church during 'that time of the month' or an impotent man going to church..... well I disagree.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Zachary said:
Your verse is speaking of those who have been truly born of God unto ultimate salvation.
They indeed will NOT live a life of habitual unrepented-of sin.
Those who do continue to commit sins ...
we just don't know if they will repent and finally make it in the end.
Those who have brainwashed into OSAS are in danger of being deaf to
the urgings of the precious Holy Spirit to forsake their sins.
Correct, born again believers will not live a life of habitual sin, because the truth will remain in them forever Eph 1:13-14 NIV, 2 John 1:2 NIV.

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
FHII said:
Zachary,
I've heard you mention a few times of "habitual un-repented sins". If you are speaking of the law if God and not the law of Moses, I get your point and agree. But if you are speaking of the law of Moses (eating shrimp, catfish and pork; wearing polyester; growing cucumbers and tomatoes next to each other; women going to church during 'that time of the month' or an impotent man going to church..... well I disagree.
I'm speaking of the law of God.
How do you like the various SIN LISTS in the NT ...
and what happens to those who are habitually practicing them?
Note: practicing these sins is the exact opposite of practicing righteousness.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Zachary said:
You forgot 1 Cor 6:11 NIV And that is what some of you were...we are only justified once Rom 10:9-10 NIV.

1 Cor 6:11 NIV And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Rom 10:9-10 NIV If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.

- ATP

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The one reason why those who are saved, are saved

Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

But that takes faith, and one must walk in the spirit, but all those so troubled by sin walk after the flesh, as it says,

Joh 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Joh 16:9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

See it isnt so hard, its the believeing part that is.

Why dont christians believe God can save them??

In all His Love

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zachary said:
Well, its pretty obvious that those who aren't covered by grace and are guilty of various SIN LISTS in the NT are going to the lake of fire.

Then again, if you keep one point of the law of moses, you are indebted to keep the whole law.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1Ti_1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
FHII said:
Well, its pretty obvious that those who aren't covered by grace and are guilty of various SIN LISTS in the NT are going to the lake of fire.
Aren't covered by grace. Correct!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
Aren't covered by grace. Correct!
I'm not sure if you are distorting what I said or not.