7 PAGAN FESTIVALS WE STILL CELEBRATE TODAY ~ under the guise of Christian celebrations and names.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Lets hit the easiest one first.

Sola Fide (Faith Alone)

is important because it is one of the distinguishing characteristics or key points that separate the true biblical Gospel from false gospels. At stake is the very Gospel itself and it is therefore a matter of eternal life or death.

Getting the Gospel right is of such importance that the Apostle Paul wrote in Galatians 1:9 “As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!”

Paul was questioning on what basis is humanity declared by God to be justified?

Paul was wanting to know if it is by faith alone or by faith combined with works?

And in concluding Paul makes it clear in Galatians and Romans that humanity is “justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law”

Lol: Wonder if Kamala studied him...? He tells us in Galatians 2:16 "nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified.

And I say from my studies the rest of the Bible agrees.
Yes, we agree we are justified by faith, but "faith alone" is not taught in the Bible. Perhaps you overlooked this in your studies:

James Chapter 2​

24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Luther's invention of JBFA was motivated by his politics, and wanted to remove the book of James, calling it "an epistle of straw".
Worse, he added the word "alone" to his translation of Romans 3:28 to bolster his opinion. His defense in doing this reveals glaring arrogance.
When challenged about this rather transparent translational bias, Luther responded: “If your papist wants to make so much fuss about the word sola [alone] tell him this, ‘Dr. Martin Luther will have it so, and says that a papist and an ass are the same thing.’”

It seems, then, that Luther himself was guilty of doing the very thing he accused the Catholic Church of doing: elevating his theology above the Bible. In his attempt to justify (pun intended) his doctrine of sola fide, Luther both mistranslated the content of, and modified the canon of, Scripture—the one authority he claimed to stand upon while rebelling against the Church’s teaching.

Ironically, then, sola fide turns out to be a good argument against sola scriptura and vice-versa. For if sola scriptura allows one to hold to a doctrine that verbally contradicts Scripture and that requires both additions and subtractions to Scripture in order to appear scriptural, then anyone (including the Church) can claim agreement with sola scriptura.

What, then, of Protestantism?

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
2 Timothy 3
[14] But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, (Tradition)
knowing from whom you learned it (Magisterium)
[15] and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. (Scriptures)
[16] All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
[17] that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

Note verse 14-15. It admonishes Timothy to do three things:
  1. Remember what you have learned and firmly believed (Tradition)
  2. Know from whom you learned it (Magisterium)
  3. Know you have the Scriptures
The Bible on St. Paul's list comes in third, not first. He actually gives here the traditional Catholic teaching on the three sources of sound teaching.
In verse 15 he goes into an excursus on the Bible. This brief excursus emphasizes the value of the Bible and recommends a fourfold method of exegesis. This verse was used in the pre-Reformation Church as a proof text for the Quadriga which was the standard Catholic approach to the Bible. Still taught today. CCC115-119 The Quadriga method used the following four categories:
  • Literal/Literary (teaching) - the text as it is written
  • Analogical (reproof) - matters of faith
  • Anagogical (correction) - matters of hope/prophecy
  • Moral (training in righteousness) - matters of charity
The analogical, anagogical and moral senses of the Bible were known collectively as the spiritual senses.
The 'reformers' rejected the BIBLICAL fourfold method of exegesis in favor of a more literal approach, and ignored 2 Tim 3:16!!!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, we agree we are justified by faith, but "faith alone" is not taught in the Bible. Perhaps you overlooked this in your studies:

James Chapter 2​

24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Luther's invention of JBFA was motivated by his politics, and wanted to remove the book of James, calling it "an epistle of straw".
Worse, he added the word "alone" to his translation of Romans 3:28 to bolster his opinion. His defense in doing this reveals glaring arrogance.
When challenged about this rather transparent translational bias, Luther responded: “If your papist wants to make so much fuss about the word sola [alone] tell him this, ‘Dr. Martin Luther will have it so, and says that a papist and an ass are the same thing.’”

It seems, then, that Luther himself was guilty of doing the very thing he accused the Catholic Church of doing: elevating his theology above the Bible. In his attempt to justify (pun intended) his doctrine of sola fide, Luther both mistranslated the content of, and modified the canon of, Scripture—the one authority he claimed to stand upon while rebelling against the Church’s teaching.

Ironically, then, sola fide turns out to be a good argument against sola scriptura and vice-versa. For if sola scriptura allows one to hold to a doctrine that verbally contradicts Scripture and that requires both additions and subtractions to Scripture in order to appear scriptural, then anyone (including the Church) can claim agreement with sola scriptura.

What, then, of Protestantism?

Exodus ch31
And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 13“Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: ‘Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the Lord who sanctifies you. 14You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. 15Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 16Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. 17It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.’ ”

18And when He had made an end of speaking with him on Mount Sinai, He gave Moses two tablets of the Testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Having spent 3 plus days not looking into this I have to say NOT HARDLY! I have not been even close to being persuaded by your (or others) arguments.

Seemingly your, and others, proofs come from the Epistle of James. (And for those of you who don't remember where in the Holy Bible James is... It follows Hebrews and before Peter.

It is suggested that the darting of writing The Book of James is probably the oldest book of the New Testament, written perhaps as early as A.D. 45, before the first council of Jerusalem in A.D. 50.

Before getting into the crux of this reply I am providing just a scant bit of history that I learned about James
this week.

Wiki has an article on him. Titled " Epistle of James" (bolding and color changes are mine)
Epistle of James - Wikipedia

This is not to be confused with the "Gospel of James."

The Epistle of James[a] is a general epistle and one of the 21 epistles (didactic letters) in the New Testament.
James 1:1 identifies the author as "James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ" who is writing to "the twelve tribes scattered abroad". The epistle is traditionally attributed to James the brother of Jesus (James the Just),[3][4] and the audience is generally considered to be Jewish Christians, who were dispersed outside Israel.[5][6]
Framing his letter within an overall theme of patient perseverance during trials and temptations, James writes in order to encourage his readers to live consistently with what they have learned in Christ. He condemns various sins, including pride, hypocrisy, favouritism, and slander. He encourages and implores believers to humbly live by godly, rather than worldly, wisdom and to pray in all situations.

NOW... I must stop the copy here, due to size restrictions and need to refer you to the Gospel of James... that the epistle is not inclusive of....
I do this primarily for educational purposes and at some point may carry this into another thread...

Gospel of James

Gospel of James

The Gospel of James - also called the Book of James - is one of the most overlooked canonical gospels. Historians have found clear evidence that James was a devoted disciple of Jesus. There is also clear evidence that he was born into Jesus' physical family as the brother of Jesus. He was esteemed as the principal teacher in Jerusalem and surrounding regions following the passing of Jesus. (I think this is a study we need to do........)

IF YOU GO TO THE LINK YOU CAN READ EACH CHAPTER THERE.

NOW~ BACK TO JAMES and his writings.

James wrote: AND I AM NOT DISPUTING THAT HE WROTE THE FOLLOWING.... I am disputing that you say
"FAITH ALONE" is not taught in the bible.

James 2:14 What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him?
James 2:17 Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself.
James 2:26 For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.
James 2:20 But are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless?
James 2:18 But someone may well say, “You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.”
James 2:22 You see that faith was working with his works, and as a result of the works, faith was perfected;
James 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up Isaac his son on the altar?
James 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
James 2:25 In the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way?

I have an extensive list of verses that covers the New Testament very well. Due to size I am only posting the
imperative ones here... those of faith works and not works of the law. Some are cut verses' due to size, also.

What these say is "faith alone" is taught in the Bible.

Ephesians 2:8-9

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.​

Titus 3:5

He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

Romans 5:1

Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, .....

Romans 11:6

But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace.

Romans 5:9

..... we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from .....

Romans 9:30

.....That Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith;

Romans 4:5

...the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,

1 Timothy 1:16

..... Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life.

Galatians 3:8

.....that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, ....

Romans 3:24

And are justified by his grace as a gift, .....​

Acts 16:31

And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, ....​

John 3:36

Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; .....

1 John 5:13

..... who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.

Last edited:

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Having spent 3 plus days not looking into this I have to say NOT HARDLY! I have not been even close to being persuaded by your (or others) arguments.
If you haven't found James 2:24 after studying James for 3 days, you never will.
James wrote: AND I AM NOT DISPUTING THAT HE WROTE THE FOLLOWING.... I am disputing that you say
"FAITH ALONE" is not taught in the bible.

James 2:14 What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him?
James 2:26 For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.
James 2:20 But are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless?
James 2:18 But someone may well say, “You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.”
James 2:22 You see that faith was working with his works, and as a result of the works, faith was perfected;
James 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up Isaac his son on the altar?
James 2:25 In the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way?

I have an extensive list of verses that covers the New Testament very well. Due to size I am only posting the
imperative ones here... those of faith works and not works of the law. Some are cut verses' due to size, also.

Only if you add the word "alone" to every passage that says "faith". The Bible doesn't do that, you do.

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.​

Titus 3:5

He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

Romans 5:1

Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, .....

Romans 11:6

But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace.

Romans 5:9

..... we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from .....

Romans 9:30

.....That Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith;

Romans 4:5

...the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,

1 Timothy 1:16

..... Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life.

Galatians 3:8

.....that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, ....

Romans 3:24

And are justified by his grace as a gift, .....​

Acts 16:31

And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, ....​

John 3:36

Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; .....

1 John 5:13

..... who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.

Most of your post are truths borrowed from the Catholic Church, they were not "rediscovered" in the 16th century. You keep leaving this out:

James Chapter 2

24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith alone.

Last edited:

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 3:28For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law.

Romans 4:4-5

Ephesians 2:8-9 - For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God...

Reactions: David in NJ

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Deal with it.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Paul’s teaching that we are not justified by “works of the law” refer to the law of Moses or to any legal system that makes God our debtor. They do not refer to good works done in grace with faith in Christ. This makes sense when we remember that Paul’s mission was to teach that salvation was also for the Gentiles who were not subject to the “works of the law.” Here is the proof:

James 2:24 – compare the verse “a man is justified by works and not by faith alone” to
Gal. 2:16 – “a man is not justified by works of the law,” and
Rom. 3:20,28 – “no human being will be justified in His sight by works of the law.”

James 2:24 appears to be inconsistent with Gal. 2:16 and Rom. 3:20,28 until one realizes that the Word of God cannot contradict itself. This means that the “works” in James 2:24 are different from the “works of the law in Gal. 2:16 and Rom. 3:20,28. James is referring to “good works” (e.g.,clothing the naked; giving food to the poor) and Paul is referring to the “Mosaic law” (which included both the legal, moral and ceremonial law) or any works which oblige God to give us payment. Here is more proof:

Rom. 3:20,28; Gal. 2:16 – Paul’s phrase for “works of the law” in the Greek is “ergon nomou” which means the Mosaic law or Torah and refers to the teachings (legal, moral) and works (ceremonial) that gave the Jews the knowledge of sin, but not an escape from sin. We have further proof of this from the Dead Sea Scrolls which provide the Hebrew equivalent (“hrvt ysm”) meaning “deeds of the law,” or Mosaic law. James in James 2 does not use “ergon nomou.” He uses “ergois agathois.” Therefore, Paul’s “works of the law” and James’ “works” are entirely different types of works. Again, they could never contradict each other because the Scriptures are the inspired word of God.

Rom. 3:29 – Paul confirms that works of the law in this case refer to the Mosaic law by rhetorically asking “Or is God the God of the Jews only?” It does not mean “good works.”

Rom. 4:9-17 – Paul provides further discussion that righteousness God seeks in us does not come from Mosaic law, but through faith. But notice that Paul also never says “faith alone.”
read more here

Last edited:

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rella said:

Illuminator Replied.
Deal with it.
I have but you won't.

I have never said "good" works are for nothing. I have said that "good" works are because
of one's saving faith.... and the desire to do things approved of and encouraged by God.

What is the Meaning of 'Good Works' in Ephesians 2:8-10? | God Wrote The Book (Any bolding or color changes from the original are mine)

God Wrote The Book

What is the Meaning of ‘Good Works’ in Ephesians 2:8-10?​

Ephesians 2:8-10 is arguably one of the most important passages in the Bible on the subject of salvation. These verses teach us what salvation is, how to receive it, and how not to receive it. The purpose of this article is to explore the meaning of verse 10, which presents another critical component – the result of our salvation.

The essential truth of Ephesians 2:10 is this: good works are the result — but not the cause — of our salvation.

Good works are definitely a part of our salvation experience. We are not saved by our good works, but we are saved for good works. This is a critical concept – doing good works can never save us, but because we “have been saved”, God intends for us to engage in righteous living – this is one of the very reasons for salvation.

The profound truth of Ephesians 2:10 speaks for itself: “For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”

Yes, we are saved from something (sin, judgment, the wrath of God, hell). We are also saved for something (good works, a life of righteous living).

The Bible is filled with instruction regarding holy living. We are commanded repeatedly to love and serve others, to give to the poor, to serve God by serving our fellow man. Does God want us to do good works? Absolutely! No question about it.

But this is one of the most fundamental yet misunderstood of all Biblical truths: God wants us to do good works as a result of our salvation, not in order to earn our salvation. This is so critical! God is telling us to live a holy life because we “have been saved” (Ephesians 2:8), not in order to be saved.

Unfortunately, this teaching is one that many in Christendom have missed. If you’ve been taught that you should attend church, read your Bible, pray, give to the poor, etc, etc, in order to earn enough “Brownie points” to gain entrance to heaven, you’ve been mislead. And the consequences of this type of false teaching will be tragic indeed.

In many professing Christian churches, there are countless churchgoers who have not been taught this distinction between salvation by works and salvation by faith resulting in works. With so much in the Bible about good works, the purpose of good works is easily misunderstood. Certainly Satan understands the difference and loves having the truth distorted in the name of religion.

The doctrine of salvation by grace through faith permeates the entire Bible, both Old Testament and New Testament. Read the books of Romans and Galatians and you’ll find Paul’s teaching on justification by faith, not works, to be a major theme. And he relies on Old Testament examples to prove that only faith can save: What does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness”. The Scripture Paul quotes is Genesis 15:6 – the first book of the Bible! (See Romans 4:3 and Galatians 3:6).

My prayer is that we will study the Scriptures diligently and always be on guard against false teachers and their false doctrines. Truly, the erroneous doctrine of salvation by works must be confronted head-on and identified for the falsehood it really is. The eternal destiny of many hangs in the balance.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what i write next will seem impossible to beleive .
but it also is not new but will be far greater
IF even your own flesh family is not of CHRIST
the time will come when even they will BETRAY YOU to authorities . Dont think it cannot happen .
MANY will betray many , the sons will rise up against their fathers , fathers gainst their sons
and so on and so forth . YE SHALL BE HATED OF ALL for my name sake , BUT HE who endures to the end
the same shall be saved .
YES david , IT CAN HAPPEN . IT HAS BEFORE and it will again .
EVEN many within churches WILL BETRAY US DAVID . IT has happend before IT WILL AGAIN .
And they will cry away with these haters as they beleive they do this love gods will , THEY WILL BELIEVE THEY DO GODS WILL
THEY WILL DAVID . IT has happened before IT WILL AGAIN j.
Of course it will happen. This is written in the Bible.Not impossible for me to believe.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Paul’s teaching that we are not justified by “works of the law” refer to the law of Moses or to any legal system that makes God our debtor. They do not refer to good works done in grace with faith in Christ. This makes sense when we remember that Paul’s mission was to teach that salvation was also for the Gentiles who were not subject to the “works of the law.” Here is the proof:

James 2:24 – compare the verse “a man is justified by works and not by faith alone” to
Gal. 2:16 – “a man is not justified by works of the law,” and
Rom. 3:20,28 – “no human being will be justified in His sight by works of the law.”

James 2:24 appears to be inconsistent with Gal. 2:16 and Rom. 3:20,28 until one realizes that the Word of God cannot contradict itself. This means that the “works” in James 2:24 are different from the “works of the law in Gal. 2:16 and Rom. 3:20,28. James is referring to “good works” (e.g.,clothing the naked; giving food to the poor) and Paul is referring to the “Mosaic law” (which included both the legal, moral and ceremonial law) or any works which oblige God to give us payment. Here is more proof:

Rom. 3:20,28; Gal. 2:16 – Paul’s phrase for “works of the law” in the Greek is “ergon nomou” which means the Mosaic law or Torah and refers to the teachings (legal, moral) and works (ceremonial) that gave the Jews the knowledge of sin, but not an escape from sin. We have further proof of this from the Dead Sea Scrolls which provide the Hebrew equivalent (“hrvt ysm”) meaning “deeds of the law,” or Mosaic law. James in James 2 does not use “ergon nomou.” He uses “ergois agathois.” Therefore, Paul’s “works of the law” and James’ “works” are entirely different types of works. Again, they could never contradict each other because the Scriptures are the inspired word of God.

Rom. 3:29 – Paul confirms that works of the law in this case refer to the Mosaic law by rhetorically asking “Or is God the God of the Jews only?” It does not mean “good works.”

Rom. 4:9-17 – Paul provides further discussion that righteousness God seeks in us does not come from Mosaic law, but through faith. But notice that Paul also never says “faith alone.”
read more here
You will note that nothing I posted talks of work of the law.

You will note that Ephesians 2: 8-10 does NOT SAY... nor have I ever that the works there are either works of the LAW or necessary for anyone's salvation.

Read again what I copied above

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was simply clarifying the difference between good works and works of the law. The error I was addressing is that many Protestants use the terms interchangeably, as if “ergon nomou” (works of the law) means the same thing as good works = “ergois agathois”. They are different words with different meanings, as you seem to agree. And your link does not say we are justified by faith alone so I have no issues with it. That's not the problem. The problem is with closet Calvinists who are unwilling or unable to understand the relationship of human free will to God’s grace. We believe we can cooperate with God’s grace in order to “merit.” Yet that very merit is itself completely an act of God’s grace. Here is some more relevant information to consider:

The Second Council of Orange (529 A.D.), , dogmatically taught in its Canon 7:

If anyone asserts that we can, by our natural powers, think as we ought, or choose any good pertaining to the salvation of eternal life . . . without the illumination and inspiration of the Holy Spirit . . . he is misled by a heretical spirit . . . [goes on to cite Jn 15:5, 2 Cor 3:5]
Likewise, the ecumenical Council of Trent (1545-63): Chapter 5, Decree on Justification:

. . . Man . . . is not able, by his own free-will, without the grace of God, to move himself unto justice in His sight.
Canon I on Justification:

If anyone saith that man may be justified before God by his own works, whether done through the teaching of human nature or that of the law, without the grace of God through Jesus Christ; let him be anathema.
Yet the myth of "works righteousness" or "salvation by works" lives on.

The existence of a measure of human free will in order for man to cooperate with God’s grace does not reduce inevitably and necessarily to Semi-Pelagianism, as Luther, Calvin, and present-day Calvinists wrongly charge. The Catholic view is a third way. Our “meritorious actions” are always necessarily preceded and caused and crowned and bathed in God’s enabling grace. But this doesn’t wipe out our cooperation, which is not intrinsically meritorious in the sense that it derives from us and not God . . . Second Orange again:

The reward given for good works is not won by reason of actions which precede grace, but grace, which is unmerited, precedes actions in order that they may be accomplished meritoriously.
Catholic theologian Ludwig Ott describes the Catholic view:

As God’s grace is the presupposition and foundation of supernatural good works, by which man merits eternal life, so salutary works are, at the same time gifts of God and meritorious acts of man. (Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, Rockford, Illinois: TAN Books, 1974 [orig. 1952], 264)
St. Augustine wrote:

What merit of man is there before grace by which he can achieve grace, as only grace works every one of our good merits in us, and as God, when He crowns our merits, crowns nothing else but His own gifts? (Ep. 194, 5, 19; in Ott, 265)
The Lord has made Himself a debtor, not by receiving, but by promising. Man cannot say to Him, “Give back what thou hast received” but only “Give what thou hast promised.” (Enarr. in Ps 83, 16; in Ott, 267)
The concept of merit and its corollary reward is well-supported in Scripture (Mt 5:12; 19:17, 21, 29; 25:21; 25:34 ff.; Lk 6:38; Rom 2:6; 1 Cor 3:8; 9:17; Col 3:24; Heb 6:10; 10:35; 11:6; 2 Tim 4:8; Eph 6:8).

. . . . The Catholic Church was right in maintaining against Luther, at the Council of Trent, that heaven is merited by our good works, because this is the clear teaching of revelation. “We have shown that according to Holy Scripture the Christian can actually merit heaven for himself by his good works. But we must realize that these works have to be performed in the state of grace and with a good intention . . .

Jesus himself tells his disciples: ‘I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me (by the state of grace), and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit (for heaven). If a man does not abide in me (by mortal sin) . . . he can do nothing’ – he can bear no fruit for heaven; just as the branch that is cut off from the vine cannot produce any grapes.

By sanctifying grace we are children of God. Only by sanctifying grace do we have a right to heaven as our heritage. By purely natural good acts, such as even the sinner can perform, heaven cannot be merited as a reward; we must be in the state of grace, a child of God. Only after human nature has been united to God by grace and raised up above it’s own nature can good acts, which proceed from this supernaturally elevated nature, be directed towards the possession of God in the hereafter. Only in this way can we merit the vision of God in heaven, since it completely surpasses the powers of our pure human nature.

By sanctifying grace we become living members of the mystical body of Christ, one with Christ our Head. Thus our acts become acts of Christ, who, in an incomprehensible way, is living and working in [p. 264] his members. Through this intimate union with Christ, our Mediator before the Father, we merit the happiness of heaven.

Finally, sanctifying grace makes us temples of the Holy Spirit, who compels us to good works (Rom 8:14). St. Francis de Sales writes that the Holy Spirit performs good works in us with such consummate skill that the works belong more to him than to us. He works with us and we work with him. In this activity we use our free will. By our free will we submit all our human activity to the grace and will of God. By this act of reverence and worship, our good acts redound to the glory of God. Our will could also take a stand against God’s will, and commit sin...

By isolating sentences (the classic and quintessential anti-Catholic methodology) which emphasize man’s cooperation and effort, it appears that McCarthy had hoped to leave a false impression that we believe we can get to heaven on our own power, pulling ourselves up by our own bootstraps, without God’s enabling grace. But this is the heresy of Pelagianism, which both Catholic dogma and Premm (even in immediate context) clearly condemn.

This is, therefore, apparently deliberate misrepresentation on McCarthy’s part, and that is a serious sin — a violation of the Ten Commandments and even basic pagan and secular ethical precepts. Whatever McCarthy or other anti-Catholics think of our theology, their own Christian tradition (as well as Jesus Himself) condemn them for slander and lying, whether we are Christian “brothers” or not, in their thinking. As we indeed are their brothers in Christ, their sin is all the greater. McCarthy’s polemical anti-Catholic video has also been clearly shown by Catholic apologetics magazine This Rock to be slanderous and grossly inaccurate. Let us hope and pray that he will repent, for his sake, and for the sake of the thousands he is leading astray.

James 3:1 (RSV) Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers and sisters, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was simply clarifying the difference between good works and works of the law. The error I was addressing is that many Protestants use the terms interchangeably, as if “ergon nomou” (works of the law) means the same thing as good works = “ergois agathois”. They are different words with different meanings, as you seem to agree. And your link does not say we are justified by faith alone so I have no issues with it. That's not the problem. The problem is with closet Calvinists who are unwilling or unable to understand the relationship of human free will to God’s grace. We believe we can cooperate with God’s grace in order to “merit.” Yet that very merit is itself completely an act of God’s grace. Here is some more relevant information to consider:

The Second Council of Orange (529 A.D.), , dogmatically taught in its Canon 7:

Likewise, the ecumenical Council of Trent (1545-63): Chapter 5, Decree on Justification:

Canon I on Justification:

Yet the myth of "works righteousness" or "salvation by works" lives on.

The existence of a measure of human free will in order for man to cooperate with God’s grace does not reduce inevitably and necessarily to Semi-Pelagianism, as Luther, Calvin, and present-day Calvinists wrongly charge. The Catholic view is a third way. Our “meritorious actions” are always necessarily preceded and caused and crowned and bathed in God’s enabling grace. But this doesn’t wipe out our cooperation, which is not intrinsically meritorious in the sense that it derives from us and not God . . . Second Orange again:

Catholic theologian Ludwig Ott describes the Catholic view:

St. Augustine wrote:

The concept of merit and its corollary reward is well-supported in Scripture (Mt 5:12; 19:17, 21, 29; 25:21; 25:34 ff.; Lk 6:38; Rom 2:6; 1 Cor 3:8; 9:17; Col 3:24; Heb 6:10; 10:35; 11:6; 2 Tim 4:8; Eph 6:8).

. . . . The Catholic Church was right in maintaining against Luther, at the Council of Trent, that heaven is merited by our good works, because this is the clear teaching of revelation. “We have shown that according to Holy Scripture the Christian can actually merit heaven for himself by his good works. But we must realize that these works have to be performed in the state of grace and with a good intention . . .

Jesus himself tells his disciples: ‘I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me (by the state of grace), and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit (for heaven). If a man does not abide in me (by mortal sin) . . . he can do nothing’ – he can bear no fruit for heaven; just as the branch that is cut off from the vine cannot produce any grapes.

By sanctifying grace we are children of God. Only by sanctifying grace do we have a right to heaven as our heritage. By purely natural good acts, such as even the sinner can perform, heaven cannot be merited as a reward; we must be in the state of grace, a child of God. Only after human nature has been united to God by grace and raised up above it’s own nature can good acts, which proceed from this supernaturally elevated nature, be directed towards the possession of God in the hereafter. Only in this way can we merit the vision of God in heaven, since it completely surpasses the powers of our pure human nature.

By sanctifying grace we become living members of the mystical body of Christ, one with Christ our Head. Thus our acts become acts of Christ, who, in an incomprehensible way, is living and working in [p. 264] his members. Through this intimate union with Christ, our Mediator before the Father, we merit the happiness of heaven.

Finally, sanctifying grace makes us temples of the Holy Spirit, who compels us to good works (Rom 8:14). St. Francis de Sales writes that the Holy Spirit performs good works in us with such consummate skill that the works belong more to him than to us. He works with us and we work with him. In this activity we use our free will. By our free will we submit all our human activity to the grace and will of God. By this act of reverence and worship, our good acts redound to the glory of God. Our will could also take a stand against God’s will, and commit sin.
By isolating sentences (the classic and quintessential anti-Catholic methodology) which emphasize man’s cooperation and effort, it appears that McCarthy had hoped to leave a false impression that we believe we can get to heaven on our own power, pulling ourselves up by our own bootstraps, without God’s enabling grace. But this is the heresy of Pelagianism, which both Catholic dogma and Premm (even in immediate context) clearly condemn.

This is, therefore, apparently deliberate misrepresentation on McCarthy’s part, and that is a serious sin — a violation of the Ten Commandments and even basic pagan and secular ethical precepts. Whatever McCarthy or other anti-Catholics think of our theology, their own Christian tradition (as well as Jesus Himself) condemn them for slander and lying, whether we are Christian “brothers” or not, in their thinking. As we indeed are their brothers in Christ, their sin is all the greater. McCarthy’s polemical anti-Catholic video has also been clearly shown by Catholic apologetics magazine This Rock to be slanderous and grossly inaccurate. Let us hope and pray that he will repent, for his sake, and for the sake of the thousands he is leading astray.

James 3:1 (RSV) Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers and sisters, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.

Who will receive the stricter judgement?

A.) Those who teach to pray to Mary with pagan practices = rosary beads

B.) Those who teach this = “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words."

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Malachi 1:11
For from the rising of the sun, even to its going down,
My name shall be great among the Gentiles;
In every place incense shall be offered to My name,
And a pure offering;
For My name shall be great among the nations,”
Says the Lord of hosts.
Whose name “shall be great among the nations”? Who is “The Lord of Hosts”?
In the Lord’s Prayer, Jesus told us whose name should be “hallowed”….and it wasn’t his.…not just his Father, but “our Father”.
There is no alter here on earth that Christ established for us to worship at.

Anyone who claims that there is are false apostles.
Indeed…….which means that there is no earthly priesthood either, because they were the ones who officiated in God’s temple at the alter. So the grand spiritual temple (pictured by the earthly temple) is in heaven, as are the priests chosen to officiate there. Those “born again” are given a “rebirth” to facilitate their transformation to spirit life in heaven.

This is what being “born again” means…..it’s not just a spiritual feeling but a selecting (or token) that the holy spirit conveys to those who are chosen (elected) for that role…..it involves so much more than any “born again” has ever been able to convey to me. No one has ever told me about what they are supposed to do once in heaven with their Lord…..is this knowledge not imparted by the holy spirit to those who are “born again”?

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In The Chaldean rites of spring celebrations-The dyed eggs of Pasch, bunny rabbits for fertility, Hot cross buns. The false Goddess=Beltis the queen of the heavens also known as Astarte(2nd T silent) -Ishtar on the assyrian monuments-Ishtar,( The H is silent) pronounce eastar--Thus 2Thess 2:3= Catholicism named Easter after a false goddess.
Catholic encyclopedia ( 1913-Vol V-pg 227) A great many pagan customs, celebrating the return of spring gravitated to Easter.
Encyclopedia Brittanica,1910-Vol VIII, pg 828-- There is no indication of the observance of the Easter festival in the NT, or in the writings of the apostolic fathers.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Encyclopedia Brittanica,1910-Vol VIII, pg 828-- There is no indication of the observance of the Easter festival in the NT, or in the writings of the apostolic fathers.
This is a truth.

HOWEVER... it must be said there are no celebrations of Christmas or any other holiday that Christians may celebrate as one that is Christian.... The RCC celebrates a lot of things... including Dec. 8th where they celebrate the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.

IOW... in the New Testament, there was no instruction for any "Christian" celebration of anything. (Just the casual mention of a wedding where Jesus changed water to wine... but specifics were left out...

Reactions: The Learner

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Who will receive the stricter judgement?

A.) Those who teach to pray to Mary with pagan practices = rosary beads

B.) Those who teach this = “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words."
On them feet david , on them feet my friend . The wicked take no time off preaching the delusion to gather all to be as one
under what they THINK is GOD and HIS LOVE and yet this love they speak of and tell of often
IS CONTRADICTING THE TRUTH OF GOD , OF CHRIST and OF HIS LOVE . If the wicked take no time off
WE TAKE NO TIME OFF . on them feet my friend . You have been missed my friend .