A JUDAS TYPE OF REPENTANCE

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
Judas felt really bad about what he did to Jesus he went and threw the money he was given in fact his conscience bothered him so badly he went away and hung himself .. all indications show, Judas would never wanted to do it again..

whats the biggest and "most important" thing about repenting ?

to trust that Jesus who is God has already forgiven you!

Jesus Loves you HE WON YOUR FORGIVENNESS ON THE CROSS .. your the reason he set aside his Godly crown and came down to live in die in your stead.

its Judas own fault he did not trust that Jesus who always loved him would win his forgiveness to.

John S

Jun 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
This may not be what this thread is about - but NO ONE should bad mouth Judas Iscariot.
It was God's plan that His Son HAD to die. SOMEONE had to do the job of turning Jesus in. God chose Judas.
If Jesus Christ had lived to a ripe old age, His name would not be remembered today.

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
where does scripture say God chose Judas to betray Jesus.. ?

and why would you think that stating its Judas own fault IS badmouthing Judas.

it is peoples own fault when they don't trust Jesus .

Jesus said how often he wanted TO gather us up like a mother Hen does her chicks but "you" were not willing.

Jesus lays the blame on people not his Father .

Calvin theology of every thing must end as it does and it can have no other end either good or bad because God ordained it that way gets a little thin when he never could back such a theology up with scripture.. according to Calvin even your toilet flushes were pre ordained.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
John S said:
This may not be what this thread is about - but NO ONE should bad mouth Judas Iscariot.
It was God's plan that His Son HAD to die. SOMEONE had to do the job of turning Jesus in. God chose Judas.
If Jesus Christ had lived to a ripe old age, His name would not be remembered today.
Not strictly true. Judas, made his own decision, God didn't force him but rather utilized him. This can also show that one may be a follower of Jesus the man but not God in the flesh and will die in his sins. It also indicates that will worship is useless & to choose to follow christ without being invited to the banquet - many called, few chosen - is no guarantee either.

In any case it's not a small thing to betray the son of God and Judas self-pity and carnal reasoning proves nothing in the positive. He still didn't not see JESUS was "Emmanuel" in the flesh and hence did not repent... .

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wether Judas hanging himself was done out of repentance or out of shame I don't know.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
clark thompson said:
Wether Judas hanging himself was done out of repentance or out of shame I don't know.
Suicide is self murder. If it was done from repentance don't you think God may have something to say about that. But alas, where did he end up. Humanism often looks like love, repentance etc. But it's a poor substitute as you can see in Judas.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Yet again another topic about repentance that fails to first correctly define the word. The bible says that godly sorrow leads to repentance. Sorrow is no more repentance than smoke is fire. One may lead to the other, but they are not defined the same.

Whatever sorrow Judas may have had about his actions that led to the death of Jesus, was not a show that he changed his mind about Jesus. If he died lost, which is the indication, then this shows that he indeed did not change his mind about Jesus. Repentance means to change one's mind. It does not mean to change one's behavior, although it can certainly affect one's behavior. And FYI, repentance does not automatically mean to turn from sin. The only time it does is when in context, sin is the subject or the object of the repentance. There are many things one can change his mind about. Concerning salvation, repentance from sin is never mentioned as a requirement. The confession or acknowledgment of sin is what is required. Judas likely understood he was a sinner, but incredibly did not seem to recognize Jesus as the Savior, or Messiah.

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
SCRIPTURE tells us Judas was lost no ifs about it . it was Jesus himself that reports in scripture that fact.

williemac said:
Yet again another topic about repentance that fails to first correctly define the word. The bible says that godly sorrow leads to repentance. Sorrow is no more repentance than smoke is fire. One may lead to the other, but they are not defined the same.

Whatever sorrow Judas may have had about his actions that led to the death of Jesus, was not a show that he changed his mind about Jesus. If he died lost, which is the indication, then this shows that he indeed did not change his mind about Jesus. Repentance means to change one's mind. It does not mean to change one's behavior, although it can certainly affect one's behavior. And FYI, repentance does not automatically mean to turn from sin. The only time it does is when in context, sin is the subject or the object of the repentance. There are many things one can change his mind about. Concerning salvation, repentance from sin is never mentioned as a requirement. The confession or acknowledgment of sin is what is required. Judas likely understood he was a sinner, but incredibly did not seem to recognize Jesus as the Savior, or Messiah
your last part defines the most important part of Godly sorrow trusting that Jesus saves us from our sins;

so whether one uses the definition or the word repentance itself the main thing is one must have trust in Jesus for forgiveness .

JB_ said:
Not strictly true. Judas, made his own decision, God didn't force him but rather utilized him. This can also show that one may be a follower of Jesus the man but not God in the flesh and will die in his sins. It also indicates that will worship is useless & to choose to follow christ without being invited to the banquet - many called, few chosen - is no guarantee either.

In any case it's not a small thing to betray the son of God and Judas self-pity and carnal reasoning proves nothing in the positive. He still didn't not see JESUS was "Emmanuel" in the flesh and hence did not repent... .
thanks for posting
Emmanuel means God with us in greek while using Immanuel spelling would be Hebrew equal correct?

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
williemac said:

Whatever sorrow Judas may have had about his actions that led to the death of Jesus, was not a show that he changed his mind about Jesus. If he died lost, which is the indication, then this shows that he indeed did not change his mind about Jesus. Repentance means to change one's mind. It does not mean to change one's behavior, although it can certainly affect one's behavior. And FYI, repentance does not automatically mean to turn from sin. The only time it does is when in context, sin is the subject or the object of the repentance. There are many things one can change his mind about. Concerning salvation, repentance from sin is never mentioned as a requirement. The confession or acknowledgment of sin is what is required. Judas likely understood he was a sinner, but incredibly did not seem to recognize Jesus as the Savior, or Messiah.
The rest of the Apostles were no better than Judas Iscariot. The only Apostle who stood at the foot of the cross was St. John. Where were the rest? They all abandoned Him, and St. Peter denied Him. I think it's clear from the Bible that Judas did regret his actions. He did not take the money that was given to him and went away in despair.

Matthew 27:3-5 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What [is that] to us? see thou [to that]. And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

All of the Apostles (with the exception of St. John) abandoned Christ. This goes to show that even those chosen by Christ can be led astray and be lost. As for Judas, the Bible says that he did repent of his behavior. Judas' betraying Christ was so terrible that Holy Bible states that it would be better if Judas had never been born. However, in the end we don't even know whether Judas was condemned to Hell or not. Even the Apostles were not so certain which is the reason why the Holy Bible now says that Judas went to his own place. Where that is.....is not clear. The possibility exists that Christ may have forgiven Judas Iscariot......but of course, we would never know until we get there.

Acts 1:25 "to take part in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place."

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Here's the Correct understanding: :)

2Co 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

μετάνοια
metanoia
met-an'-oy-ah
From G3340; (subjectively) compunction (for guilt, including reformation); by implication reversal (of [another’s] decision): - repentance.

-------------------------------------

Mat 27:3 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,

μεταμέλλομαι
metamellomai
met-am-el'-lom-ahee
From G3326 and the middle of G3199; to care afterwards, that is, regret: - repent (self).

not for the sin, as committed against God and Christ; but as it brought a load of present guilt and horror upon his mind, and exposed him to everlasting punishment: it was not such a repentance by which he became wiser and better; but an excruciating, tormenting pain in his mind, by which he became worse; therefore a different word is here used than what commonly is for true repentance: it was not a godly sorrow for sin, or a sorrow for sin, as committed against God, which works repentance to salvation not to be repented of; but a worldly sorrow, which issues in death, as it did in him. It did not spring from the love of God, as evangelical repentance does, nor proceed in the fear of God, and his goodness; but was no other than a foretaste of that worm that dieth not, and of that fire which cannot be quenched: it was destitute of faith in Christ; he never did believe in him as the rest of the disciples did... . John Gill

Reactions: KingJ

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
According to Strong's biblical translation, the difference between the two Greek words is that "metamelomai" is a repentance of choice or an emotional change. The same word is used in Matthew 21:29. In other words, Judas did regret what he did. The Holy Bible did say that Judas recognized his sin, and it was this sin that he regretted and therefore returned the money given to him.

The other word for repentence means to change your entire life and is expressed in moral action such as St. Paul's conversion. The Bible says that Judas knew that he sinned and betrayed innocent blood (Matthew 27:4). There is a possibility that Judas did not go to Hell or received everlasting punishment. The Holy Bible did say that Judas went to his own place. "His own place" does not specify whether it is Hell.

This kind of remorse brought Judas so much anguish that he wasn't in his right mind anymore. This story is not only a lesson showing us that even God's chosen can be led astray and lost, it is also a story reminding us not to judge those who commit suicide. Would God condemn those who were not in their right state of mind to Hell? Would this kind of suicide be a sin that is deliberately carried out??

There are suicides that are deliberately carried out such as the Buddhist monk who sets himself on fire as a way of protesting over a social injustice. This kind of suicide is deliberate and the Buddhist monk was not emotionally distraught or mentally ill, but in his right state of mind. And then there's the suicide of a schizophrenic who ended his life because of his mental disease. Is Judas Iscariot's suicide a deliberate one?? In my opinion, I don't think so......which is probably why the Bible says that Judas went to his own place after he died. Where ever that is....I don't think it is Hell.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
horsecamp said:
Judas felt really bad about what he did to Jesus he went and threw the money he was given in fact his conscience bothered him so badly he went away and hung himself .. all indications show, Judas would never wanted to do it again..

whats the biggest and "most important" thing about repenting ?

to trust that Jesus who is God has already forgiven you!

Jesus Loves you HE WON YOUR FORGIVENNESS ON THE CROSS .. your the reason he set aside his Godly crown and came down to live in die in your stead.

its Judas own fault he did not trust that Jesus who always loved him would win his forgiveness to.
Judas was predestined and specifically chosen for this task, so that scripture may be fulfilled.

Zechariah 11
12 Then I said to them, “If it is agreeable to you, give me my wages; and if not, refrain.” So they weighed out for my wages thirty pieces of silver.
13 And the Lord said to me, “Throw it to the potter”—that princely price they set on me. So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them into the house of the Lord for the potter. 14 Then I cut in two my other staff, Bonds, that I might break the brotherhood between Judah and Israel.

Matthew 27
9 Then was fulfilled what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying,1 “And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the value of Him who was priced, whom they of the children of Israel priced, 10 and gave them for the potter’s field, as the Lord directed me.”

John 17:12
While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.

The Holy Bible did say that Judas went to his own place. "His own place" does not specify whether it is Hell.
The Son of Perdition will return...

2 Thessalonians
3 Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition, 4 who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.

Shalom!!!

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Selene said:
According to Strong's biblical translation, the difference between the two Greek words is that "metamelomai" is a repentance of choice or an emotional change. The same word is used in Matthew 21:29. In other words, Judas did regret what he did. The Holy Bible did say that Judas recognized his sin, and it was this sin that he regretted and therefore returned the money given to him.

The other word for repentence means to change your entire life and is expressed in moral action such as St. Paul's conversion. The Bible says that Judas knew that he sinned and betrayed innocent blood (Matthew 27:4). There is a possibility that Judas did not go to Hell or received everlasting punishment. The Holy Bible did say that Judas went to his own place. "His own place" does not specify whether it is Hell.

This kind of remorse brought Judas so much anguish that he wasn't in his right mind anymore. This story is not only a lesson showing us that even God's chosen can be led astray and lost, it is also a story reminding us not to judge those who commit suicide. Would God condemn those who were not in their right state of mind to Hell? Would this kind of suicide be a sin that is deliberately carried out??

There are suicides that are deliberately carried out such as the Buddhist monk who sets himself on fire as a way of protesting over a social injustice. This kind of suicide is deliberate and the Buddhist monk was not emotionally distraught or mentally ill, but in his right state of mind. And then there's the suicide of a schizophrenic who ended his life because of his mental disease. Is Judas Iscariot's suicide a deliberate one?? In my opinion, I don't think so......which is probably why the Bible says that Judas went to his own place after he died. Where ever that is....I don't think it is Hell.
You're speaking humanistic gibberish. :mellow:

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Angelina said:
Judas was predestined and specifically chosen for this task, so that scripture may be fulfilled.

Zechariah 11
12 Then I said to them, “If it is agreeable to you, give me my wages; and if not, refrain.” So they weighed out for my wages thirty pieces of silver.
13 And the Lord said to me, “Throw it to the potter”—that princely price they set on me. So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them into the house of the Lord for the potter. 14 Then I cut in two my other staff, Bonds, that I might break the brotherhood between Judah and Israel.

Matthew 27
9 Then was fulfilled what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying,1 “And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the value of Him who was priced, whom they of the children of Israel priced, 10 and gave them for the potter’s field, as the Lord directed me.”

While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.

The Son of Perdition will return...

2 Thessalonians
3 Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition, 4 who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.

Shalom!!!
Judas made his own choice, and God used Judas' choice to fulfill His will. God did not choose anyone to sin nor does He tempt anyone to sin. The Old Testament did prophesy that Christ will be judged and condemned to die. However, 2 Thessalonians is not speaking about Judas Iscariot. It is speaking about Satan and those who side with him. Judas Iscariot did not exult himself. In the beginning, the devil did enter Judas Iscariot, but the ending part is different. It is clear from the Bible that he was full of regret over what he did to Christ in the end, and was so emotionally distraught with guilt over it that he hung himself.

JB_ said:
You're speaking humanistic gibberish. :mellow:
How so?? Do you believe that God would condemn to Hell all those who were mentally ill and so emotionally distraught that they ended up killing themselves because they were not in their right mind? If one is to repent of their sins, the emotions that Judas displayed would be part of repentance. We are supposed to feel sorrowful and remorse over the bad things we've done.....for that is part of repentance. On the other hand, one needs to be very careful of extreme remorse because it can lead to feelings of guilt where one then feels that they don't deserve to live. You can say that a person who feels this way is truly lost. Such must have been the case with Judas Iscariot.

Reactions: KingJ

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
He was the son of perdition who was prophesied to come .

However, 2 Thessalonians is not speaking about Judas Iscariot. It is speaking about Satan and those who side with him. Judas Iscariot did not exult himself. In the beginning, the devil did enter Judas Iscariot, but the ending part is different. It is clear from the Bible that he was full of regret over what he did to Christ in the end, and was so emotionally distraught with guilt over it that he hung himself.
Preaching to the converted :blink: ...The son of perdition will return

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Angelina said:
He was the son of perdition who was prophesied to come .

Preaching to the converted :blink: ...The son of perdition will return
Are you saying that Judas Iscariot is going to return?? The one in John 17:12 is speaking of Judas Iscariot because he is the one who betrayed Christ so that Scripture would be fulfilled. But the son of perdition spoke of by St. Paul in 2 Thessalonians could not be Judas Iscariot because Judas never exulted himself to be like God. And I don't think Judas Iscariot has the power to return from the dead. I think that scripture in 2 Thessalonians is referring to someone like Judas......someone who betrayed Christ like Judas did......but someone who exults himself to be like God.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
But the son of perdition spoke of by St. Paul in 2 Thessalonians could not be Judas Iscariot because Judas never exulted himself to be like God.
You are speaking of two separate event's...The son of perdition will return...He is a spirit...

Did Elijah return? :huh:

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Angelina said:
You are speaking of two separate event's...The son of perdition will return...He is a spirit...

Did Elijah return? :huh:
This is why I said that I don't think that St. Paul was speaking about Judas Iscariot in 2 Thessalonians. :)

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
I should point out something that nearly everyone misses when talking about Judas Iscariot. Jesus said of him, "Woe to that man by whom (the son of man) is betrayed. It would be better for that man if he had never been born! While I don't go around saying who's in heaven and who's in hell, I can say confidently that Judas was damned because any other fate would make meaningless what Jesus said about him. Don't expect to see him in heaven, you'll be quite disappointed.