A prayer question

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

snr5557

Jan 19, 2014
I know this is going to sound crazy, but I just need someone to answer this.

I know that it's good to pray to God for answers, since He knows everything and I would pray repeatedly for guidance. But then one day I thought,

"If He hears my thoughts and prayers, why do I have to keep repeating them? Is repeating them over and over in a way doubting God, as in we don't think He heard us the first time and knows what to do and need so we have to keep asking?"

I'm not saying that prayer isn't powerful or necessary, but by saying the same prayer over and over a way of doubting God?

I'd really like some answers to this. I hope I'm being clear, so if you're confused please tell me.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
snr5557 said:

I know that it's good to pray to God for answers, since He knows everything and I would pray repeatedly for guidance. But then one day I thought,

"If He hears my thoughts and prayers, why do I have to keep repeating them? Is repeating them over and over in a way doubting God, as in we don't think He heard us the first time and knows what to do and need so we have to keep asking?"

I'm not saying that prayer isn't powerful or necessary, but by saying the same prayer over and over a way of doubting God?

I'd really like some answers to this. I hope I'm being clear, so if you're confused please tell me.
Hi Snr

I empathise with your question as its one I have wrestled with for years. Personally I believe it has to do with our circumstances, as there is no golden rule when dealing with prayer. I sought forgiveness for years about a particular sin which plagued me daily. There came a time when I had to yield to God's Grace and foreknowledge...its tough because the natural realm is often more real like than the spiritual, causing us to repeat apologies for cyclical behaviours we are yet to overcome in His strength.

A very close bro and friend happened to send this to me today and I am glad to share it here.

My prayer to have the hidden depth of my inward depravity revealed to me is being answered in a most humiliating way. I find myself actually full of sin, and utterly unable to get rid of a particle of it. I seem to be far off from God, and while longing to get nearer, still not really caring enough to make the necessary effort. In short I am just what Paul describes in Romans 7. When I would do good, evil is present with me; and the evil that I would not that I do. I sorely need a deeper work of grace.

It is not knowledge that I am lacking, but inward power, and I have to believe that there is a work of cleansing or sanctification which is mine because of the death of Jesus, but which I have never yet experienced. It cannot be that Christ died only to purchase ultimate salvation for me, but to leave me during this life in a state of such bondage to sin. Surely when God tells me that Christ came to destroy the body of sin, that henceforth we might not serve sin it meant something! Oh that I could but have it accomplished in me!
—Journal, June 20, 1866 Hannah Whitall Smith
Now your situation might be far removed from this above example though the principles hopefully resound within us all.
May God strengthen you and your prayers
Purity

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It appears the question is, "Why repeat a prayer over and over?" Perhaps the most useful book in the Bible for prayer is Matthew 6. First off, verse 5 says don't pray openly in public to be seen of men. If you do, God may not even be listening.

Second, verse 7 says not to use vain repetition. In context, it's saying don't make a big show of it (even in private) because God isn't impressed with your long, drawn - out prayer. I don't think that means praying for a long time is wrong, just don't think you are impressing God with needless length.

Verse 8 is one that always gets me.... It says God already knows what you have need of before ye ask him. So why pray at all? Apppearently, God still wants to see it done. He wants the acknowledgement of we needing him, I suppose.

Next, have a look at Luke 18:1-8. We get the parable of a widow pestering a judge and finally he gives in saying, "I will avenger her lest by her continual coming she weary me." Jesus then notes its a matter of faith. So perhaps some situations God wants to see how faithful you are to continue in prayer. Seems a bit dangerous to me... Pester God? Rather, weary him? Appearently, he wants to know how far you will go in prayer.

One more thing: In Exodus 23:29 God promised that he would not drive the enemy out in one year, lest the land become desolate and the beasts of the field multiply. Now, this had to do not with prayer but with giving first fruits. However consider the concept and realize that if God removed the enemy instantly, the Hebrews wouldn't be able to take that land because due to the beasts of the field (I assume mountain lions, jackyls, wolves, bears, etc) would occupy it and become a new enemy. The point is that maybe God has already sent the answer and it is manifesting as you speak. It's just taking a while to do so, for your own good.

In all, I suppose it depends on what you pray for. Different situations call for different prayers. Hopefully, these verses may be of help.

Reactions: BornAgain

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i agree with CS Lewis - prayer is for us, not God. We pray in order to feel heard.

Reactions: Purity

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like CS Lewis, and although I haven't read that statement, I have to partially disagree with him. God knows what we need before we ask him (he even understands what we need better than we do... We think we know what we need, but he knows what we need!), but appearently he wants us to pray.

Also remember.... Prayer isn't always about what we need (at least it shouldn't be). Sometimes we are to pray for one another. Those prayers are for the brethren. Sometimes we pray prayers of thanksgiving and praise. Those are for God.

Sure, ultimately, we want them all to be heard -- even the prayers of praise to God. We want God to know how we feel about him. But it seems to me they do more than what CS Lewis said.

Reactions: Purity

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
snr5557 said:

It is not doubting to repeat yourself. What would you be doubting? God's existence? Or God desire to answer your prayer? A Christian lives at a high level of faith. That level believes in God's existence like we do in gravity. We simply cannot doubt that. Nor do we need ''more'' faith for miracles or healings. That idea is simply insulting to a Christian and shows lack of any scriptural wisdom.

However, God is not deaf! We don't need to repeat ourselves. The only issue is that we are not always in-tune with God's will. So on borderline matters it is wise to fast or pray repeatedly. The only requirement to God listening to our prayers is being one who worships Him John 9:31. Nobody can pray a greater prayer of faith then you can. Which means if your prayer goes unanswered after you have examined yourself to be in-Christ / not in sin, we have to conclude it is not in His will.

God meets all our needs and places us where He wants us. We walk in His full provision. Which means if we get sick or hurt, there is a reason for it! Christians don't usually get their prayer requests for healing or change of jobs answered quickly as a result of this.

What specifically are you praying for if you don't mind?

snr5557

Jan 19, 2014
KingJ said:
It is not doubting to repeat yourself. What would you be doubting? God's existence? Or God desire to answer your prayer? A Christian lives at a high level of faith. That level believes in God's existence like we do in gravity. We simply cannot doubt that. Nor do we need ''more'' faith for miracles or healings. That idea is simply insulting to a Christian and shows lack of any scriptural wisdom.

I'm not doubting His existence, it's doubting His power. If He hears everything, it wouldn't be necessary to keep repeating something over and over, it's like doubting His ability to hear our prayers and remember them. It simply shows that I have a high opinion of Him.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
snr5557 said:
I'm not doubting His existence, it's doubting His power. If He hears everything, it wouldn't be necessary to keep repeating something over and over, it's like doubting His ability to hear our prayers and remember them. It simply shows that I have a high opinion of Him.
Doubting His power? I think that's the same as doubting His existence ^_^.

I repeat myself in many prayers. Only because I get annoyed with Him not answering. Sometimes I resort to writing them down and holding the page high to make my point. But if I judge myself truthfully, I know that I am asking things out of His will. Whenever there is pride or unrepentant sin in us we may as well pray to the wall.

snr5557

Jan 19, 2014
KingJ said:
Doubting His power? I think that's the same as doubting His existence ^_^.

Could you please read what I actually write? I was saying that having to repeat the same thing over and over was like doubting His existence. As in, by repeating a prayer a person doesn't think He doesn't hear, or has forgotten. I am so sorry that I place Him so highly, would you like for me to think of Him less highly like you do? If you're not even going to try to read or answer the question then please don't reply.

I repeat myself in many prayers. Only because I get annoyed with Him not answering. Sometimes I resort to writing them down and holding the page high to make my point. But if I judge myself truthfully, I know that I am asking things out of His will. Whenever there is pride or unrepentant sin in us we may as well pray to the wall.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
snr5557 said:
Could you please read what I actually write? I was saying that having to repeat the same thing over and over was like doubting His existence. As in, by repeating a prayer a person doesn't think He doesn't hear, or has forgotten. I am so sorry that I place Him so highly, would you like for me to think of Him less highly like you do? If you're not even going to try to read or answer the question then please don't reply.
ROFL. You need to read what you write. You said ''I'm not doubting His existence, it's doubting His power.''

snr5557

Jan 19, 2014
KingJ said:
ROFL. You need to read what you write. You said ''I'm not doubting His existence, it's doubting His power.''
I said that praying over and over is like doubting His power, because it's as if we're assuming He can't hear us and/or has forgotten. Could you please not take quotes outside of their context? Not only will it not get my question answered, it leads to a misunderstanding of what a person is trying to say.

For example:

KingJ: "Being nervous of my kid going outside to play and meeting a T-rex"

If someone were to take that quote from you alone, it would seem that you actually thought that there is a possibility of a T-rex still roaming the Earth. However, if we are to take what you said entirely,

KingJ: "Being nervous of my kid going outside to play and meeting a T-rex...not happening"

There, we are able to see that you don't actually think that.

Now that I've taught you how to take consideration of an entire conversation, not a single piece out of context, you could attempt to answer the question, or just not respond.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
snr5557 said:

I actually completely agree with you .... I think you are correct ... he knows our thoughts and hearts and "internal' prayers and saying the actual words are not always required.

I have had many (internal silent) prayers answered .... I am off to get groceries .... maybe later I will give you some precise examples.

Talk later.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
snr5557 said:
I said that praying over and over is like doubting His power, because it's as if we're assuming He can't hear us and/or has forgotten. Could you please not take quotes outside of their context? Not only will it not get my question answered, it leads to a misunderstanding of what a person is trying to say.

Now that I've taught you how to take consideration of an entire conversation, not a single piece out of context, you could attempt to answer the question, or just not respond.
Well, clearly I miss-understood you. Sorry, I know how that feels! :p

Imho....What you 'should' have said is ''I'm not doubting His existence but repeated prayer is doubting His power!'' I asked a question to which your first sentence answered. The further explanation can act as reasoning either for or against your answer. If it was merely a statement you made as I did with the dinosaur, then the whole post needs to be considered for context.

Elizabeth

Dec 14, 2013
snr5557 said:
I know this is going to sound crazy, but I just need someone to answer this....by saying the same prayer over and over a way of doubting God?
The answer is no. In the Bible there are many examples where prayers to God are repeated. Perhaps the best example is found in Apocalypse 4:8 where we read the Angels in Heaven say over and over, day and night, "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty." And Jesus Christ Himself repeats the same prayer three consecutive times when praying to His Father in the Garden of Olives. A third example, the book of Psalms contains a prayer of praise and thanksgiving in which the same phrase, "for his mercy endures forever," is repeated 26 times.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep......more 'sovereignty is everything' religion. Questioning Gods sovereignty is questioning his existence - this is truly a sickness! It is like we are a bunch of kids sitting around talking about how tough our father is....

I pray to experience God. I am called to listen and experience His love for me and His love for humanity. My only request for Him is that I am able to love Him and my neighbor in every situation He happens to put me in - what ever life throws at me. It is my sanctification and it requires a life time of practice.

Repetitive prayer is just as meditative as repetitive worship singing.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
aspen said:
i agree with CS Lewis - prayer is for us, not God. We pray in order to feel heard.
I agree with that completely. We believe that God is omniscient and that whatever is, is His will. So when we pray for something to change (asking for God to intercede, asking for a different outcome), we seem to be asking for the course of history to be altered in our favor. IOW, we are asking God to change His mind and/or do something that were it not for our prayer, He would not otherwise do.

That is all inconsistent with God's omniscience.

For example, a family member becomes ill....things look bad, so we pray for God to intervene and for miraculous healing. But if God is omniscient and whatever happens is His will, then if the family member is going to die, our prayers cannot change that. And if God is going to intervene, He was already going to do that regardless of our prayer.

That's why I pray for God's will to be done (which it will be anyway), for strength and guidance. But the overall result of prayer for me is to feel comforted and secure.

Reactions: aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes! God is all about shaping our hearts throughout life - circumstances are just the props on the stage of life. Our hearts are what He is concerned with.